Type keyword(s) to search

S39.E06: The Big Mistake

shantown
  • Start Topic

Head on down to your local bingo hall because we're playing BINGO - Challenge Style. Contenders get down and dirty, and tensions mount as they wrestle for power. Another Champ enters, hoping to end one Contender's dream and stea.

Aires 11/22 at 8pm on MTV

I liked the daily challenge. It was pretty good.

It seems like Nurys gets kicked on every show she's on. She got kicked by Melissa in this episode. If you watched Nurys' season of Ex on the Beach, Farrah from Teen Mom kicked her in the cooch IIRC.

I didn't care for the elimination game. I imagine it was boring to watch in person.

If you know anything about Kaz from her UK and World Championship seasons, she's not the greatest with puzzles so this elimination game wasn't in her wheelhouse. The brain teaser kind of games are not her strong suit. I remember Kaz wasting a lot of time at a puzzle checkpoint in the UK final.

I like the Big T upset. The whole house voted her in and she came back. Love it!

Edited by AntFTW
  • Like 2

(Pokemon music plays)

Kids: WHO'S THAT CHAMPION?????????

(commercial)

Kids: IT'S KAZ!!!!! Wait . . .  who?!?

Too harsh? I don't think Kaz was hyped in the previews, I wasn't expecting her because she's an international Challenger. She did fit the criteria for a Champion, though she lost to Big T in the Arena (or whatever they're calling it this season).

What was "The Big Mistake" in this episode? Melissa getting sent to the Arena? Big T getting voted in?

The episode felt like a slog. Ninety minutes is too long for an episode to run . . . . and yes, I'm including Survivor and The Amazing Race. Even though The Challenge went to ninety minutes first, it still feels like a chore to endure the drama and strategies along with actual gameplay.

What was that bit of classical music they piped in? Does anyone here know?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Is it just me or does the Big T vote seem more personal than the majority of the house is willing to admit? She’s not a threat in the final, and has nobody but Melissa on her side. The others were willing to lose $10,000 just to send her home? Something is off there. 

• Like 5
On 11/22/2023 at 10:16 PM, AntFTW said:

I like the Big T upset. The whole house voted her in and she came back. Love it!

Both Big T AND Melissa! They completely failed in their mission to eliminate one of them. And there was no real reason to go against them. 

And I'm so tired of everyone and their follower behaviors. Four people want to vote for you, so I'm going to vote for you too so I don't piss off the house. As far as I could tell, there was a good number of people who weren't really bought in on voting for Melissa or Big T. If they had stuck together, there could have been a different outcome. There all playing a scared game and it makes the show boring because there's no damn suspense with the votes. The secret voting would be better for this season. 

• Like 7
On 11/24/2023 at 1:41 AM, Lantern7 said:

(Pokemon music plays)

Kids: WHO'S THAT CHAMPION?????????

(commercial)

Kids: IT'S KAZ!!!!! Wait . . .  who?!?

You, sir, are hilarious!

On 11/24/2023 at 1:41 AM, Lantern7 said:

Too harsh? I don't think Kaz was hyped in the previews, I wasn't expecting her because she's an international Challenger. She did fit the criteria for a Champion, though she lost to Big T in the Arena (or whatever they're calling it this season).

She was on the cast list but she wasn't hyped in the trailers. They really focused on the older champs.

On 11/24/2023 at 10:11 AM, jsm1125 said:

Is it just me or does the Big T vote seem more personal than the majority of the house is willing to admit? She’s not a threat in the final, and has nobody but Melissa on her side. The others were willing to lose $10,000 just to send her home? Something is off there.

Nurys talks a little about it on the podcast. She says there is this USA vs Internationals dynamic that happening, and the goal is to weaken the International's numbers. Nurys says a hodge-podge of things to justify why they voted for Big T. It didn't seem like there was a single reason but a mix of reasons, but overall the USA/"Internationals" divide was a big part of it.

Nurys also said that Big T tried to go in for Melissa, but they wouldn't let her.

On 11/24/2023 at 11:55 AM, luckyroll3 said:

And I'm so tired of everyone and their follower behaviors. Four people want to vote for you, so I'm going to vote for you too so I don't piss off the house. As far as I could tell, there was a good number of people who weren't really bought in on voting for Melissa or Big T. If they had stuck together, there could have been a different outcome. There all playing a scared game and it makes the show boring because there's no damn suspense with the votes. The secret voting would be better for this season.

Its confusing to figure out who has what numbers in the house. They didn't show a lot of Melissa's politicking. She said she believed she had the numbers to either make it a close vote or sway the vote, but no one voted with her. Supposedly there are sides with the USA players, and a side with non-USA players. I recall James mentioning the UK people were together once (he referred to a UK vs "internationals" once)... but everyone just voted for one person. The USA players, the UK players, and all of the players from the other various countries voted for the same person. There was no division; it doesn't seem like one alliance against another. It just seems like everyone is winging it as they go.

It seemed like Melissa and Big T were on an island of their own. It doesn't seem like they are playing with anyone, not even the UK men.

Edited by AntFTW
  • Like 1

I guess they can't have Daily games with odd number of teams because two of the teams can game it to eliminate the third team.

That mud pit looked nasty.  They must have hosed up before returning to the villa.

For the elimination, I do also wonder what is that third sword or whatever they pull out for the draw.

So these champions may be hanging out for a week or two until they get pulled into the Chaos eliminations?  Bet they get paid something for the time they put in to travel, hang out then return.

The US team could eliminate all the others and then have to throw themselves in against each other because it seems too large a group to all go to the Final.

• Like 1
On 11/24/2023 at 5:44 PM, aghst said:

For the elimination, I do also wonder what is that third sword or whatever they pull out for the draw.

I just assume the challenger gets their pick of who to go against, but they're hyping it up a lot for it to just be that.

This season is dreadfully boring. I think it might be time for me to take another break from this show.

• Love 1

This episode was so bad, so very, very bad, I can barely comment.

Even Nurys' hotness can't mitigate this, because I can't unsee Nurys with Nelson.   It's kind of like when Jerry found out his new girlfriend had been dumped by Newman.

Did they do all the confessionals in a single day?  Everybody has been wearing the same outfit in confessionals for the past few episodes.  Big T in purple, Nurys on the brink of wardrobe malfunction and that other guy (Cory?) in some kind of orange pleather vest that looks he picked it up at Build-A-Bear.

Big T's confessionals are starting to give me a cavity.  

The elimination was head-shakingly dull.   Kaz's loss (to Big T!) in the wake of Jordan's win was not a good look for someone billed as a "world-champion."  If anyone suspected Jordan was the engine and Kaz was the freight, this elimination did nothing to dispel those doubts.

Show, please stop trying to make Michelle happen.  Her face (which I personally find fascinating but that's beside the point) is in almost every shot, whether large group, small group, or person to person.  We get it, you need to manufacture new "vets," but trying to brainwash the audience through repetition is not the way to win hearts and minds. 

I hate them all.  Yeah.

Edited by millennium
  • Like 2
  • LOL 1
On 11/26/2023 at 8:30 AM, peachmangosteen said:

I just assume the challenger gets their pick of who to go against, but they're hyping it up a lot for it to just be that.

I was thinking it would be a 3 way melee with only one winner. 

I do appreciate that they're trying with the elimination to make the playing field not 100% strength based. It got old in the seasons where it was all hall brawl and the like all the time and that one beefy Brit gave Jay a concussion. (It was Jay, right? I think that was the year I still liked him, now he gets on my nerves).  Although the fun part about when it was the big guys left, few of them have endurance enough to complete a final so you'd sometimes get an upset.

I liked that Big T figured out the trick to the caterpillar game. Sometimes it would be nice to see all the rules. Like it seems they couldn't just stuff the pieces into the caterpillar tube with them, but to me that would make the most sense.  

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, joanne3482 said:

It got old in the seasons where it was all hall brawl and the like all the time and that one beefy Brit gave Jay a concussion. (It was Jay, right? I think that was the year I still liked him, now he gets on my nerves)

Yes. It was Jay. Rogan was salty because Dee was chasing Jay.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, RedbirdNelly said:

I take it there has to be some other twist to avoid either having way too many people at the final (if they all win their vet match ups from here on out) or them to just keep losing cash. Would be funny though if it just kept going down.

That was definitely be more entertaining.

That reminds me of 'Are You the One?,' because out of all the seasons they had of that show, only one season didn't win the prize pot at the end. That one thing made it the most entertaining season for me.

The Challengers constantly losing money would be hilarious! The cast looking so dejected would be hilarious! It's like Fessy when he gets 4th place, it's good entertainment.

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

I guess I'm in the minority, because I'm enjoying this season. I was getting really sick of watching the same people running the game and making it into the finals every season. These new people are hooking up and causing drama, which I think has been lacking over time. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Zima said:

I guess I'm in the minority, because I'm enjoying this season. I was getting really sick of watching the same people running the game and making it into the finals every season. These new people are hooking up and causing drama, which I think has been lacking over time. 

I just think its less juicy drama. Remember all the good bus drama?

On top of that, the daily challenges are just not what they used to be. I just feel like after season 34, the daily challenges are less exciting. They fucked up when they gave me something to compare because they give great daily challenges on All Stars, and they had great daily challenges on Season 2 of USA. It seems like they drop the ball on the flagship show.

Edited by AntFTW
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Zima said:

I was getting really sick of watching the same people running the game and making it into the finals every season. 

Yea, that's why I had to stop watching for awhile. But now it's just another group of people running the game with no opposition so it's still boring lol.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

I wouldn't be surprised if these alliances are unofficially arranged.

Easy enough for people to contact each other by social media and such but the obvious alliances are all because they came from the same country or are not American?

5 hours ago, joanne3482 said:

It got old in the seasons where it was all hall brawl and the like all the time and that one beefy Brit gave Jay a concussion. (It was Jay, right? I think that was the year I still liked him, now he gets on my nerves). 

I liked Jay then, too.  Now I long for Rogan to show up as one of the vets and give him another concussion. 

Here, because I shouldn't have to suffer alone with this.  Warning:  you can't unsee it:

• LOL 1
5 minutes ago, millennium said:

I liked Jay then, too.  Now I long for Rogan to show up as one of the vets and give him another concussion. 

Here, because I shouldn't have to suffer alone with this.  Warning:  you can't unsee it:

Umm... no thanks.

side-eye-seriously.gif

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, AntFTW said:

Umm... no thanks.

You know you want to.   It's like driving past a bad accident.

If you'd prefer a Jordan and Tori romantic singing video, we have those too, God help us, lol.

Edited by millennium
  • LOL 3
14 hours ago, millennium said:

If you'd prefer a Jordan and Tori romantic singing video, we have those too, God help us, lol.

I voluntarily sought that out. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. 

18 hours ago, aghst said:

I bet they're saving the Hall Brawl and Pole Wrestle eliminations.

And it will probably be mismatched challengers, one much larger and stronger than the other.

Probably but I don't like the ones that are 100% brute strength. I like it when there's a nice mix of strength/endurance/physicality and mental prowess. It was never fun to me to watch Rogan or Zach just take these tinier men out event after event. Except the CT/Bananas backpack. That will never not be fun but at least they both were semi-evenly matched. 

• Like 3