Type keyword(s) to search

S09:E08: November 16, 2023

• Start Topic

Wow, that roast had a lot of mean digs at people.

Starting with Katie taking shots at blake, then everyone mocking people for their relationship failures.  There were a few funny moments, I liked Olivia's "how did I taste?"  But overall, it's like the intent was to hurt.

• Like 5

Seeing Katie definitely got into Blake’s head—and all of the jokes about “Baby Jess” didn’t seem to help. He went from smitten to skeptical pretty quickly. Likewise, it took a note from the secret box for Mercedes to realize Tyler isn’t into her, but this is how he’s been the whole time! Even lovey dovey Kylee realized Aven is a stick in the mud. Every couple is falling apart except for…Sam and Peter?! I really didn’t see that coming. I thought they were just together because they each have zero other options. And, yeah, Aaron and….I can’t think of her name…I want to say Evie, but I know that’s not right… Anyway, they are committed now, but I still wouldn’t be surprised if “Evie” backs out again, maybe even leaving Aaron at proposal pointe.

ETA: Eliza! I think that’s her name. She barely speaks and when she does it’s a whisper, so it’s hard to remember her with loudmouths like Olivia and Kat taking up all the air—and airtime.

Edited by JenE4
  • Like 3

What’s up with this new trend of saying, “it’s giving messy” or “it’s giving weird” etc. What happened to the other part of the sentence? 

Jess has no personality. Like there’s just no fun in her. I think she’s a pretty girl but I can see why the guys aren’t going for her. 

I feel bad for Rachel. I didn’t like her on her season but it really must sting to be rejected so much not only on her season, but here too. What Tanner said was mean about wishing Gabby was here instead. Meanwhile he was just saying he had a connection with her. 
One thing about Rachel is she does sound very fake when she speaks. Her voice has so many octaves and she talks to people like they’re babies and she’s trying to teach them the ABC’s. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 1

I'm honestly shocked by how nasty parts of that roast were. I wonder what Tyler called Mercedes that warranted it being blipped out.

Never liked Rachel much, but I felt for her last night. Only watched one or two episodes of Charity's season, but my first impression of Brayden was pretty negative. I'm surprised how much I like him here.

• Like 7

First I am glad for Olivia who had a great date with the new guy Michael. 

Aaron B seems to be behaving very mature as he took Eliza aside and asked her to officially be his girlfriend; a question to which she enthusiastically replied "yes".

Peter and Sam are also now officially a couple.

Kylee and Aven seem to be getting bored with each other and it wouldn't surprise me if each started looking for a new person.

Blake seems to be tired of trying to create some passion with Jess, and Jess does not seem capable of giving more of her heart to him.

Whatever tiny spark Tyler and Mercedes may have once had seems to have fizzled.

To keep her on Paradise Brayden had given Olivia a friendship rose but since then he has not pursued any woman. The new guy Jordan took his make-out-date-shot with Rachel but she ultimately stuck with Tanner. The other new guy Taylor I don't believe even has talked to any of the women. 

Rachel accepted a date with the new guy Jordan, and used him to make Tanner jealous. The strategy seemed to work as Tanner seemed to become more interested in Rachel, but then he blew it by betraying her during the Paradise Roast.

On one hand I thought the Roast session was was tacky and of poor taste. But on the other hand I believe it was effective at revealing true character.  

Edited by Televisionhurts
  • Like 4
22 hours ago, JenE4 said:

Blake’s ex-fiancé Bachelorette Katie shows up in Paradise and presumably more drama ensues.

When Kate showed up and pulled Blake for a talk it seemed to me that he still carries a torch for her and that she does care for him very much. My guess is that Blake is now leaving self-eliminating from Paradise  to be with Kate off camera. 

• Wink 1
1 hour ago, Televisionhurts said:

Am I the only one here who thinks Tyler might be gay ?

No, I have always wondered about him and especially on this episode. Something about him just pings. Also after last year's BiP, the girl he'd left with  broke it off because he was clingy and suffocating, so I'm not sure how much of a catch he really is.

If Katie Thurston really thinks she has any future in comedy, she needs to think again. Oof, that was awkward. 

The roast had a lot of potential to be entertaining, but no one was funny. Even something mean can be funny if delivered right, but not one of these people could deliver a joke. 

The meanest one had to be Tanner's joke about Gabby vs Rachel, that one was way too personal (and too true). 

I must have blinked and missed the arrival of Taylor (I think?) Who the hell is that? Did they bring another person from another country's version of the show again? I've watched the last several seasons of Bachelorette and don't remember this guy at all. He seems super awkward too, I'm assuming he didn't get the now standard "so hot, going to set paradise on fire" spiel that they make everyone say. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
9 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

No, I have always wondered about him and especially on this episode. Something about him just pings. Also after last year's BiP, the girl he'd left with  broke it off because he was clingy and suffocating, so I'm not sure how much of a catch he really is.

If Katie Thurston really thinks she has any future in comedy, she needs to think again. Oof, that was awkward. 

The roast had a lot of potential to be entertaining, but no one was funny. Even something mean can be funny if delivered right, but not one of these people could deliver a joke. 

The meanest one had to be Tanner's joke about Gabby vs Rachel, that one was way too personal (and too true). 

I must have blinked and missed the arrival of Taylor (I think?) Who the hell is that? Did they bring another person from another country's version of the show again? I've watched the last several seasons of Bachelorette and don't remember this guy at all. He seems super awkward too, I'm assuming he didn't get the now standard "so hot, going to set paradise on fire" spiel that they make everyone say. 

I don’t even know which of the two new guys Taylor is, but they arrived together. One was rejected night 1, and the other had the first date with Rachel and was rejected on the date, even though they had a nice time. This season has a lot of night 1 rejects! In addition to Olivia (another night 1 reject) ruining this show by monopolizing the commentary, there are just too many people we don’t know and don’t care about. It seems to me they were cast just to make it to Paradise. Or did people who were more established “contenders” just not think the “clout” is worth it anymore? It’s just sad when so many are shown as a “head in the crowd” of the night 1 cocktail party, as I think Taylor (that’s his name?) was. And then the other end of the spectrum, you got desperate Rachel over here who does not have “lead vibes.” She’s not as bad as Olivia, though, who starts screeching about putting a ring on this finger with every guy who shows up—before even learning his name.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, JenE4 said:

I don’t even know which of the two new guys Taylor is, but they arrived together. One was rejected night 1, and the other had the first date with Rachel and was rejected on the date, even though they had a nice time. This season has a lot of night 1 rejects! In addition to Olivia (another night 1 reject) ruining this show by monopolizing the commentary, there are just too many people we don’t know and don’t care about. It seems to me they were cast just to make it to Paradise. Or did people who were more established “contenders” just not think the “clout” is worth it anymore? It’s just sad when so many are shown as a “head in the crowd” of the night 1 cocktail party, as I think Taylor (that’s his name?) was. And then the other end of the spectrum, you got desperate Rachel over here who does not have “lead vibes.” She’s not as bad as Olivia, though, who starts screeching about putting a ring on this finger with every guy who shows up—before even learning his name.

Good points !

My guess is that the BIP producers figure a high percentage of the show's viewers never watched Bachelor or Bachelorette, and for this reason it doesn't matter the past experience of cast members.

Or, maybe the BIP producers figure new blood will be refreshing for regular Bachelor-Bachelorette viewers.

• Like 1

I laughed when Rachel told Tanner that he's been through so much already and that she doesn't want to hurt him.  Tanner has been making out with tons of girls in bikinis and hasn't worked for weeks, I think he'll be fine! 😅.  Also, what happened to last year's "Boom Boom Room"? Are all of these couples just making out for a really long time on the beach and keeping things PG-13 since there's nowhere to hook up? 

Edited by Hip-to-be-Square
  • LOL 3

I was disappointed there wasn't a rose ceremony yet again.

Seeing Katie definitely got into Blake’s head—and all of the jokes about “Baby Jess” didn’t seem to help. 

Blake and Jess have little chemistry. It seems like they're with each other to stay on the show. Having said that, I'm pretty sure I watched Katie's Bachelorette season, but I don't remember it. Yet I still remember a lot of Jesse Palmer's season from years ago. She only looked vaguely familiar when she showed up. That's how much of an impression she made on me. 

Seeing Katie definitely got into Blake’s head—and all of the jokes about “Baby Jess” didn’t seem to help. 

Not understanding all the baby Jess comments. He isn't that much older than her. He's 33. It's not like he's 20 years older than her, although she does seem immature so perhaps that gives the 9-year difference more weight?

Jess has no personality. Like there’s just no fun in her. I think she’s a pretty girl but I can see why the guys aren’t going for her. 

She isn't really burning up the screen. Not sure if she is guarded, uncomfortable on TV or there just isn't a lot going on with her. 

I feel bad for Rachel. I didn’t like her on her season but it really must sting to be rejected so much not only on her season, but here too. What Tanner said was mean about wishing Gabby was here instead. Meanwhile he was just saying he had a connection with her. 

Ouch! The look on Rachel's face said it all. She looked stung. I was surprised Tanner said this. It seemed producer-planted to me. I remember how some of us were saying during Rachel and Gabby's season that the men seemed more into Gabby. Rachel was insecure about it. I think the producer prodded Tanner to bring it up. Doesn't excuse Tanner but suggests the producers aren't fans of hers. 

What happened with Rachel and Jordan? Did she dump him again? If she wasn't into him the first time, I don't see how it would be different now but she did make out with him a bit. 

Aven and Tyler do seem detached to me and going through the motions vs. looking really into Mercedes and Kylee. Aven says the right things but his delivery lacks passion and conviction. Or maybe it's just that as a couple, they don't sizzle... unusual at such an early stage of the relationship. 

Kat was ticked over the Botox comment. She tried to laugh it off, but she didn't look happy. 

Edited by Sweet-tea
  • Like 1
17 hours ago, Hip-to-be-Square said:

I laughed when Rachel told Tanner that he's been through so much already and that she doesn't want to hurt him.  Tanner has been making out with tons of girls in bikinis and hasn't worked for weeks, I think he'll be fine! 😅.  Also, what happened to last year's "Boom Boom Room"? Are all of these couples just making out for a really long time on the beach and keeping things PG-13 since there's nowhere to hook up? 

I have been wondering what happened to the boom-boom room too. 

• Applause 1
21 hours ago, Sweet-tea said:

What happened with Rachel and Taylor? Did she dump him again? If she wasn't into him the first time, I don't see how it would be different now but she did make out with him a bit. 

You mean Jordan? I believe Taylor and Jordan arrived at Paradise; Jordan was given a date card and he used to it to have a yoga date with Rachel, during which they made out. Later, Rachel was counseled by Wells and Tyler, after which she decided her heart was with Tanner, so she made out with him. All factors considered; it was surprising that Tanner disrespected Rachel during the Roast. My guess is that because of his betrayal of her honor, Rachel will not be giving Tanner a rose.

Meanwhile Taylor is alone and wondering when he will have the opportunity to shoot his shot.

• Like 2

I usually like Katie but this episode was made of cringe. This roast so clearly only happened to start more fights and generate more tears, it was honestly pretty hard to watch. Some of the burns were fun but most of them seemed like mean petty shots, especially towards Rachel. I don't even like Rachel all that much and I still felt bad for her, that Gabby comment from Tanner really stung. She's so insecure and was so insecure about the guys preferring Gabby to her during their season, she looked like she was about to start sobbing. 

While Rachel was fighting tears Kat looked like she was about to start clawing eyes out, she was not loving those cracks about her face. Neither of them have much of a sense of humor, especially when it comes to themselves, just in different ways. 

Blake was totally smitten with Jess until all of those "Baby Jess" jokes, then he went into panic mode. She isn't really that much younger than everyone else, its not like anyone here strikes me as extremely mature. 

• Like 3
On 11/18/2023 at 6:10 AM, JenE4 said:

And then the other end of the spectrum, you got desperate Rachel over here who does not have “lead vibes.” She’s not as bad as Olivia, though, who starts screeching about putting a ring on this finger with every guy who shows up—before even learning his name.

The worst of all of them is "I want a tongue in my mouth" Kat.

• Like 2
On 11/17/2023 at 12:56 PM, Jax7917 said:

What Tanner said was mean about wishing Gabby was here instead. Meanwhile he was just saying he had a connection with her. 

She said that she had revealed things to him that she hadn't told anyone, and if that Gabby-related fear was one of them, then what Tanner said was about the lowest thing he could do (it was still low even if she wasn't the one who revealed that fear to him). I don't care if the producers prodded him to...that's an easy thing to say 'no' to.

On 11/18/2023 at 2:28 PM, Sweet-tea said:

What happened with Rachel and Jordan? Did she dump him again? If she wasn't into him the first time, I don't see how it would be different now but she did make out with him a bit. 

Yeah, this is what I've been wondering. There's no way they didn't have a conversation afterward, so why wouldn't they show it?  Maybe it didn't have enough drama? That's part of why I don't feel so bad for her, because from his perspective, he put himself out there for her twice, and got big-time rejected.

2 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

Yeah, this is what I've been wondering. There's no way they didn't have a conversation afterward, so why wouldn't they show it?  

Wells Adams is Rachel's mentor and I believe he encouraged her to follow her heart back to Tanner, which she did.

Tanner's response was to make-out with Rachel, a heartwarming moment. But later at the Roast he betrayed her trust.

Considering Tanner's behavior certainly Rachel will not give him a rose. Is Jordan her back up choice and if so, will he accept a rose from her if offered one?