Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E04: Aftermath

Message added by formerlyfreedom,

Stick to discussion of the episode, please. Discussion or mention of future events is NOT ALLOWED in episode topics, including mention of individuals who have not yet appeared or events that occur in future decades. Posts will be removed without notice that violate forum rules. Repeated violations may incur further sanctions.

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, mytmo said:

When this took place, I had just buried my mother 2 months prior.  I was 28 then and I give much respect to her young sons to have to follow the hearse when I could not even look when my mother was loaded into one.  The ghosts visits are a cheap way to try to tie up loose ends.  I would've given anything for that opportunity, but IRL that does not happen.

@mytmo I am so sorry for your loss.

That is why the "ghosts" felt like a cheat to the actual grief people have to deal with when they lose a loved one.

It would be like the ghost of Elizabeth's father visited her during the 2nd season and told her she would be a great queen.   

They seemed to not go for these types of theatrics in the earlier seasons but I could be misremembering since it feels like quite a long time ago since I watched those first seasons.

• Applause 2
On 11/22/2023 at 12:06 AM, PrincessPurrsALot said:

I never felt one way or another about Diana.  Until these last two episodes, this show made me actively dislike her.  Fortunately I know it's just a TV show.  🙃

On 11/22/2023 at 12:22 AM, qtpye said:

Unpopular opinion...I do not like the lady playing Diana.

I feel like she is letting her resemblance to Diana do all the heavy lifting. She is like a Diana impersonator.

Agree and agree. The perpetually downcast eyes reminded me of the (not often seen) impression of Diana that Anthony Edwards did on SNL back in the 90s. Debicki is (obviously) much more beautiful but it does feel somewhat caricature-ish. 

And I have to constantly remind myself that this is not a documentary -- I don't actually know what Princess Diana was like. I feel like she has been unofficially canonized to some degree, but the show is less romantic about her. She comes across as pretty immature -- which would actually make sense, considering how young she was when she married.

Regarding the ghost scenes -- I kept thinking about another Dominic West vehicle, The Affair, which tells the story from the different characters' points of view, which means that the scenes vary WILDLY depending on who's POV it is. It reminded me that Diana and Dodi weren't actually talking to Charles, Elizabeth and Momo -- the dialogue depicted the manifestation of their own thoughts and feelings, which can't help but be at least a little self-serving. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

I agree with those who think that Charles is getting a very positive edit this season and particularly in this episode. The other royals? Not so much.  Prince Philip is insufferable, as he's almost always been throughout the series. The queen is cold and really bad at reading the mood of the people. 

I'm not a fan of the royals. (I remember, long ago, a co-worker breathlessly asking me if I was going to watch Charles and Diana's wedding. He was speechless when I said no.) But I did come to admire Diana. Whatever her faults, she actually tried to do some good in the world. I understand the outpouring of grief about her death.

Oh, and a question--when did Elizabeth and Philip begin sharing a bed again? Weren't they shown, in earlier seasons, in separate rooms?

• Like 7
17 hours ago, Jordan Baker said:

Oh, and a question--when did Elizabeth and Philip begin sharing a bed again? Weren't they shown, in earlier seasons, in separate rooms?

They may have been visiting that particular evening. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
18 hours ago, Jordan Baker said:

Maybe they still had separate bedrooms at Buckingham Palace; this scene was supposedly at Balmoral.  

• Like 2
On 11/22/2023 at 12:22 AM, qtpye said:

Unpopular opinion...I do not like the lady playing Diana.

I don't hate her but my god too often she looks so sullen and sad . I often want to reach through the tv and lift her head up. 

Edited by Mrsmaul2021
  • LOL 2

I lived through this period but didn't pay a lot of attention to any of it. I did however feel like I was watching a number of films which contained segments of Diana's death. So this ep was a little boring for me as I felt I had seen it all before. 

Mou Mou is a bore, losing a son due to his games and yet all he can think about is playing more games hoping that this time, he will weasel his way into "The Firm". 

I don't think mentioning previous events is verboten, so... it seems the Queen didn't learn much since the ep in another season where there was a landslide or mine collapse and killed those school children. People wanted her to show some emotion with that as well. 

Edited by LadyIrony
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, LadyIrony said:

it seems the Queen didn't learn much since the ep in another season where there was a landslide or mine collapse and killed those school children. People wanted her to show some emotion with that as well. 

These were IMO two totally different happenings. The mining accident killed other people's children, so their families were right to demand that Elizabeth as the head of state expressed her condolences to theit grief. Instead, when she as a grandmother concentrated to her grandsons who had lost their mother, she was demanded to console people of whom most had read Diana only in papers. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
4 hours ago, Roseanna said:

These were IMO two totally different happenings. The mining accident killed other people's children, so their families were right to demand that Elizabeth as the head of state expressed her condolences to theit grief. Instead, when she as a grandmother concentrated to her grandsons who had lost their mother, she was demanded to console people of whom most had read Diana only in papers. 

True but I was more referring to the public expecting some emotion from her. I don't necessarily disagree with her stance on Diana. The people were in a frenzy and the Queen sees herself as having to maintain that stiff upper lip, I understand that. I think she still could have managed it better to avoid it getting as bad as it did. 

• Like 1

I always find it weird they expected the Queen to make a show of public grief for her ex-daughter in law who had very publicly bashed her family and the system she spent her life supporting. This was only two years after the Panorama interview, and a year after the divorce was finalized. I get people probably weren't thinking rationally, but in what other case would someone be expected to lead the mourning for their ex-daughter in law? The public should have looked to Blair and the Spencers to lead the public mourning, IMO, not the Queen and the family Diana very contentiously separated from.

Edited by MadyGirl1987
  • Like 5
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

I always find it weird they expected the Queen to make a show of public grief for her ex-daughter in law who had very publicly bashed her family and the system she spent her life supporting. This was only two years after the Panorama interview, and a year after the divorce was finalized. I get people probably weren't thinking rationally, but in what other case would someone be expected to lead the mourning for their ex-daughter in law? The public should have looked to Blair and the Spencers to lead the public mourning, IMO, not the Queen and the family Diana very contentiously separated from.

Well, the public needed someone to blame and the tabloids had a skill to direct the public anger from them to the BRF. 

Diana was no ordinary divorcee: even if she was no more a member of BRF, she was still the mother to the future king and if she were given a state funeral, it could only be arranged by the BRF. Spencers would have arranged a small and private funeral. Mr Blair had nothing to do with the matter but give a statement. 

• Like 4