Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E10: Old Friends, New Planets

• Start Topic

The only real question is how many episodes it will take for Tendi to get back to the Cerritos.  Boimler needed two to get back while Freeman was returned in just one.

I understand why they didn't want to revive Sito in the present day (having someone who spent years in a Cardassian prison camp is pretty weighty material), but it seems like a waste to relegate her to a brief flashback cameo.  Speaking of the flashback, they didn't show their fifth member.  I wonder what happened to her....

• Like 1

Love the flashback of Mariner at the academy.

I laughed when Mariner pointed out the absurdity of there being three Binars rather than an even number, because I was thinking the same thing.

Boimler got to be in command and actually did a good job!

I thought they’d be a little sadder about Tendi leaving, though Rutherford definitely was upset. It probably will only be an episode or two until she’s back, hopefully.

• Like 2

So it looks like Mariner's storyline played out in an interesting way.   Nick Locarno was a version of Mariner that let bitterness get in his way.  But Mariner actually LIKES Starfleet but hopefully now will stop self sabotaging. 

Speaking of....I  don't see it. Tom Paris and Nick Locarno look NOTHING alike.

I really like Tendi's story as well.   Caves seemed like a bottle episode but it turns out Tendi best day was the first day when the main four became friends trapped in the turbo lift so giving that all up to save them by becoming and Orion Pirate which she was always good at but never wanted to be is a big step for her.  

Seeing "acting" Captain Boimler was real fun.   

I think all the main four have come into their own.  

• Like 4

Epic!! I didn’t mind all the Wrath Of Khan callbacks with the music and genesis device. The Ferengi WOULD put a paywall on a bomb!

Locarna’s jacket had a logo of the Starburst Maneuver!

So Mariner has only been out of the Acedemy for nine years? Not sure of the timeline.

No follow up on Tom Riker, Dr. Crusher or Seven. Next Season?

Edited by marinw
  • Like 5

Other random thoughts:

Few things are prettier than a ring around a planet, and this one did not disappoint. Great animation throughout.

Mariner has Freeman’s command codes because of course she does. And Freeman unlocked her codes with a circa 2020’s iPad.

Acting Captain Boimler!!! I was so excited and happy for him.

The combat scene was ridiculous and funny.

Edited by marinw

I was grinning from ear to ear the entire episode. How this show, with its shorter run time, has really developed these characters and worldbuilding is so very impressive. Everyone got their moment, even Migleemo, although it ended poorly. I was so proud of Mariner when she stood up for Federation values even if she doesn't always agree with the leadership decisions and when she apologized to her friends. The Twain callback was perfect! Tendi's sacrifice just as she got T'Lyn to agree to be Science Besties was so powerful. ACTING CAPTAIN BOIMLER! I'm surprised he didn't die of joy on the spot.

Bringing back Locarno was such a great decision. On a character level he's very much the dark path version of Mariner. She's been lucky (and likely benefiting from her nepo-baby status) that her antics haven't gotten her kicked out at some point but she could have become bitter and angry and self-important. The thing is at her core she loves the ideals of the Federation and that, along with her friendships, keep her grounded.

Plus, Robert Duncan McNeill! And Wil Wheton and Shannon Fill! I love that with an animated show we don't have to worry about how old someone really is. Their voices don't sound the exact same but it's close enough. It's nice to play with some Trek history.

When SNW was airing, I was convinced it was my favourite new series, but then LD comes back and I know it's this. But when SNW comes back (or Prodigy which was really getting good in the back half of season 1) I may  change my mind again. We have so many options now. I love it.

• Like 4

Lower Decks really is quite clever about picking its “big bads.”  It’s not The Borg or The Dominion….it’s the Pakleds.   

The big conspiracy is to replace the California Class ships with automated Texas Class designed in part by one of Cerritos crew.

And now the ship “disappearing” other vessels is not done big monster or new alien that will wreak havoc on the federation….it is Nick Locarno.  The dude who got kicked out of Star Fleet for doing something shady and now wants to start his own fleet of “lower deckers” with chips on their shoulders.

• Like 3

Wil Wheaton sighting!

Overall a strong finale, but it ended rather abruptly.  And the two extended shots (the new planet/star forming and the starfield at the end) seemed to just provide filler.  I kept waiting for something to pop out of one of them.

"This guy suuucks!"  Mariner gets the best lines.

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, wanderingstar said:

Ha! I loved seeing him in the captain's chair. He really took to it!

That's what is good about all the Lower Deck members. Despite everything, they have all the potential, ability and desire to be leaders and eventually be great Starfleet officers. I mean at this point, Vulcan Science Academy wanting T'lyn back, should get her out of provision. When the Admiral was saying: "We need to talk about your lieutenant." I knew it was Tindi but at the same time was thinking: "T'lyn is going to be off provision isn't she." 

• Like 2
18 hours ago, marinw said:

So Mariner has only been out of the Acedemy for nine years? Not sure of the timeline.

I think we have to assume that Starfleet Academy normally takes 4 years to graduate from. Young Mariner was said to be a 1st year, and we were told it was 13 years ago. 

So by my way of thinking, the Mariner that we saw in this flashback was 18 years old, and current Mariner is 31, give or take. I suppose it's possible that she is younger or older in the flashback, that the presumption of 4 years to graduate the Academy is off, that she graduated faster than the norm (either due to her mad skillz or her being a nepo-baby), etc.

But yeah, unless explicitly told/shown some reason to rethink it, I believe S4 Mariner is about 31 and graduated the Academy in 2074-5, give or take.

Edited by Chicago Redshirt
  • Useful 1