Type keyword(s) to search

S35.E06: Driving Head on Into Scooters

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, blackwing said:

True.  But ever since the edition where a team almost acquired a 24 hour lead due to good airport skills, there have been measures in place to ensure that no team is ever going to get an enormous lead again.  There is either airport bunching or hours of operation bunching which will eliminate a lead of hours to a lead of 0 or 15 or 30 minutes.

We've also seen teams "beat the bunch" by getting to a location before it closes for the night or getting to the airport early enough to get a better flight. I would not have wanted to take that chance and would absolutely have voted to U-Turn Steve and AL. That having been said, I would hope they go back to the way they usually do U-Turns where you have to decide on the spot and just hope that the team you U-Turned is actually behind you.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, dgpolo said:

Do you know that for most of the episode I wasn't sure if the brothers were actually in one of the chosen vehicles. They seemed to have a problem finding one of the 'marked' ones. I could see the flags either on the back window or hanging in the front of the ones the other teams had but didn't see a flag on the one the brothers had. It didn't have a back window (no glass) but towards the end of the episode I did finally see the flag on the front. Up until then I though they would arrive on the mat to be told they hadn't followed instructions and receive a penalty. When their driver was so bad I just thought it was because she was a random person chosen to be in the crowd of rickshaws.

I thought this as well....I spend most of the episode convinced they'd roped some random, completely unaware and unbriefed rickshaw driver into the game.  I thought the vehicle looked different from the others, and I never saw a TAR flag like you did.  I think the rickshaw was red and yellow colored, and they thought that meant it was "marked?"  I'm still not convinced the driver was officially part of the game.  Or if she was, she was a last minute replacement for someone else, because if the purpose was to highlight the impact and progress of having woman be taxi/rickshaw drivers, I'm not sure this particular driver was the correct poster child for that movement.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
18 hours ago, dgpolo said:

Up until then I though they would arrive on the mat to be told they hadn't followed instructions and receive a penalty. When their driver was so bad I just thought it was because she was a random person chosen to be in the crowd of rickshaws.

Nah, they would have had someone race up on a motorcycle screaming "You've got the wrong rickshaw! Read the clue! Read the clue!" Because apparently that's how it works now...

• LOL 7
1 hour ago, HurricaneVal said:

because if the purpose was to highlight the impact and progress of having woman be taxi/rickshaw drivers, I'm not sure this particular driver was the correct poster child for that movement.

I told my daughter the same.

• Like 3

I really dislike the teams shouting at the drivers over and over to go faster.  It was rude and dangerous.  I can understand saying to go fast once when they get on, but to constantly shout it during the ride is pointless and smacks of the ugly American stereotype.  I liked the brothers but as others said they never seemed to be pushing themselves which I found odd since they were both veterans.  I expected them to dominate the tasks.  but they seemed like nice guys overall. as for AL, I agree the yelling at her father is annoying but you can't take anything away from her as far as doing tasks.  I was laughing at the others complaining about the task's physicality and there was AL just cycling along like it was a Sunday ride in the park.

• Like 2
On 11/3/2023 at 12:41 PM, aradia22 said:

Pushing the rickshaws didn't seem to be that difficult of a task but it certainly got harder with fewer cars to choose from.

I didn't think there were that many unmarked rickshaws to make a "needle in a haystack" task, and previous teams cleared the way for later ones to a major extent.

• Like 2
On 11/3/2023 at 7:08 PM, tracyscott76 said:

One wonders if there would be as much consternation over this if, say, Greg & John or Rob & Corey had been U-Turned and made the same mistake.

I don't think it would've mattered which team because it still would've been different than previous Races.  That said, the producers have the right to tweak the rules between seasons, so I don't really care all that much.

• Like 2

I am bumming that I just found out this was on and I've had to catch up. Is it just me, or has this been a really good season?

It feels like there are a lot of well-designed challenges, good locations, good balance between teams, and competitors who are mostly taking this seriously but still finding enjoyment along the way.

I'm also glad that the amount of teams working together has been pretty minimal and reasonable in context. For example, the two Franklin teams briefly collaborated to get to the picture challenge, but after that each team worked on their own.

I'm struck by how Team Pink seems to have a perfect sense of which detour to pick and who does the roadblock. And I loved the way they flat out gaslit AL in this episode when she was trying to figure out who voted against them, saying basically you can find out when you watch the show. I have a lot of doubts they'll last, though.

If I had to guess a winner, I'd pick the Franklin brothers. I think this episode showed they have the strength to handle the brick challenge and the attention to detail for the printing. But I think most of the teams have a strong chance of sneaking past. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 11/5/2023 at 4:47 PM, calvinshobbes said:

ok but the drivers of the electric tuktuk  on this leg was specifically chosen by the producers. The brothers got screwed because the driver selected by the producers had no idea and got them hopelessly lost

We are talking about different issues.  I'm talking about the contestants telling the drivers to hurry up.  Again, this isn't a movie set!

The driver getting lost is an entirely different story.  I could see why contestants would get upset.