Type keyword(s) to search

S22.E04: Gimme an H!

jewel21
  • Start Topic

The contestants are put to the test when they must cook one of eight inspired, elevated takes on an American comfort food dish be it a cheeseburger, mac n' cheese, or even a lobster roll! Some dishes miss the mark, but the lucky winning team prevails and wins a glorious overnight getaway to Santa Barbara. The losing team must bake a behemoth of bread by hand grinding the flour using a mortar and pestle. When the contestants' third dinner service comes around and they must serve the likes of actress Jennie Garth and model Nikki Howard they feel the heat.

Airdate: 10/19/2023

21 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Kellyfamousfor"IChooseme"butnotreallyTaylor from the original Beverly Hills, 90210.

Thanks for your reply. I never watched Beverly Hills 90210 so that is why I was clueless. That show has been off the air for some time now!!!

Biden is speaking tonight at 7pm Central.  As of now, it doesn't look like Fox is airing it but ABC, NBC, and CBS are. Xfinity only has him scheduled for 15 minutes though so everything tonight may be delayed.

• Useful 1

It’s episodes like tonight that makes you think this whole thing is fixed.  Jason doesn’t follow Gordon’s directions, lies about it, laughs at Gordon (that was debatable) and is just an all around ass but he somehow doesn’t go home?

• Like 3
  • Applause 2

Jason really showed what a complete jackass he was. The red team saw it as well and not just the guys. Mattias was a good guy but two services with multiple mistakes in a row will get you eliminated.

I was surprised to see Ryan mess up, Dahmere has improved a lot since the beginning.

• Like 4

I agree that it was time for Mattias to go. Too many mistakes, not just tonight but in previous services. But I was kind of wishing that the blue team put up Ryan against Jason since it would probably have been bye, bye Jason.

I was so happy that Jason didn't get a point in the challenge, especially when he was still praising his dish in the talking head after Ramsay trashed it. Ah, schadenfreude - what a concept.

• Like 2

Why the fuck does Ramsay cook steaks and chicken by putting them in a pan and basting them with butter, all the while having the pan barely on the heat?? Surely this is for drama, because the best way to cook chicken and steak like that is seal it and brown it in the pan and then put it in the oven to cook through. If you want to put it back in a pan and baste it with butter AFTER it's cooked through, then whatever. But the method he expects his chefs to use is doomed to failure.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, aussieinsydney said:

Why the fuck does Ramsay cook steaks and chicken by putting them in a pan and basting them with butter, all the while having the pan barely on the heat?? Surely this is for drama, because the best way to cook chicken and steak like that is seal it and brown it in the pan and then put it in the oven to cook through. If you want to put it back in a pan and baste it with butter AFTER it's cooked through, then whatever. But the method he expects his chefs to use is doomed to failure.

I'm pretty sure GR has the chefs baste the cooking steaks with butter in a hot pan lifted off the heat for a minute or two (probably so the butter doesn't burn).

His problem was Jason smearing cold butter on almost-cooked steaks. That may be the way Jason likes to do it, but it's not his restaurant. It's Gordon Ramsay's restaurant, and if you want to work as a chef in GR's restaurant, you're damn well going to cook steaks the way he wants.

Methinks this is building up to a big throwdown where Jason tells Ramsay "I know better than you" to his face. I wouldn't be surprised to see him fired mid-service at some point (possibly with a Humiliation Walk through the dining room and out the front door, which GR has done before when he was especially furious with someone).

Meanwhile, I would have saved the Punishment Pass for either Garbage Day, or the day when they have to lug boxes full of raw meat through the dining room and into the kitchen. And that Hotel Milo they visited should have been named Hotel Meh.

• Like 5
On 10/16/2023 at 6:57 AM, nitrofishblue said:

Who the heck is Jennie Garth?

It always cracks me up when the announcer says that Hell's Kitchen is the hottest reservation in town and then as evidence they introduce some unknown C list celebrity.

On 10/19/2023 at 6:43 PM, KeithJ said:

It’s episodes like tonight that makes you think this whole thing is fixed.  Jason doesn’t follow Gordon’s directions, lies about it, laughs at Gordon (that was debatable) and is just an all around ass but he somehow doesn’t go home?

I've always felt that Jason is a plant for the sake of drama. You know, the veteran chef pro chef gets shown up by the newbies. No way he could have that background and be so clueless in the kitchen.

On 10/20/2023 at 8:43 AM, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

I'm pretty sure GR has the chefs baste the cooking steaks with butter in a hot pan lifted off the heat for a minute or two (probably so the butter doesn't burn).

On TV cooking shows I aways see people ladling tons of butter onto their steaks. You're adding lots of fat, and a good piece of meat should have a distinctive flavor of its own. Butter makes everything taste like butter. But I don't doubt that many restaurants use this method. It's why restaurant food tastes richer than home cooking. A relative of mine who worked in some very high-end New York kitchens told me that patrons would be shocked at much duck fat they cooked with.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

There was a steak place I'd go to that served steaks in hot melted butter.  I'd always ask them to leave the butter off of mine.

I was so hoping Jason would get booted off but of course he has to stay around for the "drama."  But I see why Mattias got the boot instead.  Though I do wonder how long Jason is going to be kept around.  It'll only be worth it if he gets eliminated in spectacular fashion because we know he's not making it to the end.

1 hour ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

Meanwhile, I would have saved the Punishment Pass for either Garbage Day, or the day when they have to lug boxes full of raw meat through the dining room and into the kitchen. And that Hotel Milo they visited should have been named Hotel Meh.

Agree with this.  I was like, there are going to be worse things coming up than grinding your own wheat.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Pepper the Cat said:

What’s the point of a head to head competition if you are going to give both people a point?

In an objectively scored competition, there would be times where one of the head to head competitors was substantially ahead of the other and deserved a point, times when both competitors did amazingly well and both deserved points, and times when both competitors sucked and neither deserved points.

Let's put aside the likelihood that it's done for drama/quasi-suspense. I don't remember if they have ever had a contest where one team was just dominating the other from the get go. 

• Like 1

What is also predictable and I've noticed over the years is when one team wins a challenge, and they have this amaaaaaazing prize/relaxation/pampering/whatever, when they return for that night's service? They always fuck up.

I don't know what was going on, but I REFUSE, REFUSE, I sae, tae believe Ryan messed up! He was set up!

Wot?

• LOL 2
On 10/20/2023 at 1:12 PM, Chicago Redshirt said:

Let's put aside the likelihood that it's done for drama/quasi-suspense. I don't remember if they have ever had a contest where one team was just dominating the other from the get go. 

I'm not sure there has been one either.  I'd love to see a 6-0 win.  Or even a win by two points or more.  It always comes down to the last dishes.

• Like 1
On 10/20/2023 at 1:32 PM, milkyaqua said:

I was so hoping Jason would get booted off but of course he has to stay around for the "drama."  But I see why Mattias got the boot instead.  Though I do wonder how long Jason is going to be kept around.  It'll only be worth it if he gets eliminated in spectacular fashion because we know he's not making it to the end.

Agree with this.  I was like, there are going to be worse things coming up than grinding your own wheat.

Jason's definitely not making it to the end, Gordon would never choose someone that arrogant. He does have the feel of a plant, rattling off his accomplishments at the start and then the ongoing attitude of superiority, it feels like a set up for a big fall for him.

Agreed that bread making wouldn't be the punishment I'd opt out of. It looked sucky to grind that wheat, but the garbage day is always the one that I would not be physically able to stomach.

• Like 1