Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: A Midnight Dreary

• Start Topic

A wealthy CEO faces a criminal investigation amid tragedy, trauma — and a supernatural threat. The Usher family learns an informant lurks among them.

Dropping October 12, 2023

This isn’t my usual fare but the stellar cast made me curious and they did not disappoint. It was suitably atmospheric. Greenwood and Lumby were compelling and played well off each other. 

Gugino and McDonnell have smaller roles but the hints that they will shine are there. 

Mark Hamill was almost unrecognizable as the Pym. I knew it had range from his voice acting but it was great to see his acting chops on display in live action. 

An intriguing first episode, though it’s a little bit confusing to remember all the names with their faces.

*️⃣ VERNA = RAVEN

A raven symbolizes 'mournful, never-ending remembrance’.

The unsettling features throughout this episode - imagery of Roderick’s hallucinations and the sound of ticking clock in the background during flashback.

QUESTIONS: 🤔

A strange dynamic between teen Roderick and Madeline. Why did they sleep on the same bed? They’re far too old for this.

Who is the secret informant from inside the Usher family?

Roderick’s secret conversation with Dr. Donaldson - is he being diagnosed with something? This news clearly leaves him shaken and he starts seeing Verna.

What kind of hideous crime that the siblings had committed or witnessed on 1979 NYE? According to Auguste Dupin, that night was when everything changed at Fortunato.

Verna once said “buy now, pay later” to Roderick and Madeline. Did they enter a bargain with the devil that night?

Edited by Snazzy Daisy
  • Like 9
  • Useful 4
  • Love 2

After Haunting of Hill House, I will watch anything Mike Flanagan does. But unlike his previous shows, I didn't find myself caring about any of the characters or the fact that they all die. Sooo...am I watching for the satisfaction of seeing an insanely rich, arrogant family finally get their comeuppance? 

I'm hoping that as the series goes on, the characters become more complex. 

*️⃣ VERNA = RAVEN

Awesome!

• Like 3

I wasn't expecting this to be as campy as it is, but it's working for me so far. I should've guessed they were going in that direction after seeing images of whatever they're doing with Mary McDonnell's hair on the show.

Nice stealth cross-promotion for Netflix's Is It Cake? show.

Edited by krankydoodle
  • Like 6

I'm not familiar with the showrunner's other projects, and only vaguely familiar with Poe's works, so I'm not sure I would have checked this out if not for Mary McDonnell, whom I will watch in absolutely anything.  I'm sure glad she brought me to this, because I loved the first episode so much I am thoroughly excited to see how this plays out.

I like the format, and love the performances, the humor (I laughed out loud at several lines), and how OTT it is.  I'm not normally into shows about awful people, but when I come in knowing they get taken out/down, that's different.  This looks like creepy fun, and I am here for it.

• Like 11
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

Mary McDonnell, whom I will watch in absolutely anything

I love her, too, but wish she didn't have so much "work" done--it's very distracting. But maybe that is makeup specifically for this series?

• Like 1
On 10/13/2023 at 7:00 PM, Paloma said:

I love her, too, but wish she didn't have so much "work" done--it's very distracting. But maybe that is makeup specifically for this series?

It seems to be both.  Like any woman in her 70s trying to remain employed in this deeply sexist and ageist industry, McDonnell has had work done, but it's always been of the "look great for my age" variety, not trying to shave decades off. 

She's one of the very few actors I pay any attention to off screen, and she looks different in real life, even when made up, and in other roles, than she does as Madeline.  And not just because of that fabulous head of hair now rocking the grey versus Madeline's wig (e.g. she lets more wrinkles show as herself), so there's also a character element going on.  Madeline is even older than her, obsessed with immortality, and has essentially unlimited funds; like the rest of the Ushers, she takes everything to the extreme because she can control it.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 3
  • Useful 2
On 10/13/2023 at 1:39 AM, Snazzy Daisy said:

*️⃣

: 🤔Strange dynamic between teen Roderick and Madeline. Why did they sleep on the same bed? They’re far too old for this.

We only saw them sleeping in the same bed on the night their mother "died", it's understandable to me.

• Like 9

I'm on the fence about this. I thought both Midnight Mass and Haunting of Bly Manor were horrific failures in execution. Hill House wasn't much better. Lots of atmosphere, terrible story-telling. I wasn't anxious to put on another episode but I'll probably get around to trying one more. It has the same feel as Flanagan's other work and that's not a good sign for me.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I always wanted to know what Succession would be like if it was a gothic themed slasher, so now here we are! I really enjoy Mike Flannigan's work, flaws and all, and am a huge Poe fan, so this is right up my alley. I am already really liking all of the Poe references and the creepy atmosphere, plus its always fun to see the Flannigan squad really camping it up as these awful rich people. Plus we get Mary McDonnell AND Mark Hamill, who I am glad to see showing his range in live action. 

I hope that we get to see Annabeth Gish again, she was excellent in her short scenes here. Very interested in seeing more of the backstory between Roderick and Madeline, just what did they do on that New Years Eve?

• Like 7

Finally got around to this.   Never heard of it before but I loved all of Mike Flanagan Netflix stuff.   Hill House, Bly Mannor and Midnight Mass are actually some of my favorite things Netflix has done.  But then again this is my particular genre of choice so I am an easy sell.    Add to it Mary McDonnell who is one of those actresses who I would watch in anything.....  

So far the story is intriguing enough.  It looks like the rise and fall of a family starting with a brother and sister as they make their fortune by dubious means.  The pharmaceutical industry is an interesting interpretation of e evil.   Something that should offer comfort but instead leads people down a dark path.   

• Like 5

I will join.  I watched Haunting of Hill House with all the terror that can be experienced.  I kept nudging my now ex-husband to stay awake while I was trying to finish the series. I didn't watch Bly House and I thought Midnight Mass was weaker.  But I thought this was more relevant as a modern allegory?

So, my, my children, my son-in-law, his siblings, their spouses, his mother, and step-father, were and all are Battlestar Galactica reboot fans, which starred Mary McDonnell.  The love story between the President and Admiral Adama was completely epic, unmatched.  That is all I have to say about that.  If you haven't watched it, treat yourself. 

Unforch I have streaky white hair already even though I am only 56.  Both my parents and I started going grey at age 25.  Blurgh.

• Useful 1
On 10/13/2023 at 12:39 AM, Snazzy Daisy said:

Verna once said “buy now, pay later” to Roderick and Madeline. Did they enter a bargain with the devil that night?

I have only seen the first episode so far, but it is pretty obvious that Roderick and Madeline struck a bargain with the Devil (Verna) to cover up the crime they committed during NYE 1979, and that the bargain was all his kids would die horrible deaths.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Mattipoo, I checked and I don't think there is an emoji for making a deal with the devil.  It is not recommended.  What the heck -- it makes it even weirder that he would keep procreating as opposed to a vasectomy.  They just pretended it wouldn't happen. (Full body shudder.)

• Like 1
  • Applause 1