Type keyword(s) to search

The Artful Dodger - General Discussion

• Start Topic

THe-Artful-Dodger-key-art.jpg

The Artful Dodger is an 8 episode Drama TV Series streaming on November 29, 2023 on Hulu. It imagines what might have taken place 15 years after the events of the 1839 novel Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens. This irreverent follow up story explores the adult double life of Charles Dickens' famous prince of thieves, Jack Dawkins. Set in 1850's Australia, in the lively colony of Port Victory, we meet Jack Dawkins, The Artful Dodger, who's transferred his fast fingers as a pickpocket to the nimble skilled fingers of a surgeon. Dodger's past returns to haunt him with the arrival of Fagin, luring him back into a world of crime. A greater threat - to Dodger's heart - is Lady Belle, the Governor's daughter, determined to become the colony's first female surgeon. From heists to life-and-death surgeries, from soirées to street violence, this is a tale of reinvention, betrayal, redemption and a twist of love.

the-artful-dodger-thomas-brodie-sangster

Thomas Brodie-Sangster as Jack "The Artful Dodger" Dawkins, a character from the original "Oliver Twist" novel, now grown up to be a surgeon with criminal tendencies

TAD_102_David-Thewlis1.jpg

David Thewlis as Fagin, a character from the original "Oliver Twist" novel, a criminal

TAD_101_Maia-Mitchell_David-Thewlis_Thom

Maia Mitchell as Lady Belle Fox, Jack Dawkins' love interest, the Governor’s daughter, determined to become the colony’s first female surgeon.

Damien Garvey as Governor Edmund Fox, Lady Belle Fox's father 

Lucy-Rose Leonard as Lady Fanny Fox

Damon Herriman as Captain Gaines

Miranda Tapsell

Tim Minchin

Susie Porter

Kim Gyngell

Jessica De Gouw

Andrea Demetriades

Luke Carroll

Huw Higginson

Nicholas Burton

Jude Hyland

Finn Treacey

Albert Latailapeka

• Useful 2

The Artful Dodger      November 29, 2023     Hulu

Episodes 1-8   Titles and Descriptions

Spoiler

S01.E01: The Yankee Dodge
72a62419-0f99-416f-a8ff-7831f961111d?bas
With a huge gambling debt, coinciding with the return of Fagin, Dodger agrees to a final sting.

S01.E02: Blessings of St. Coccyx
b1455ebe-4a8d-4871-b343-85fd96288f1b?bas
Trying to steal 500 sovereigns, Dodger and Fagin witness Darius in a compromising position.

S01.E03: Dead Men's Secrets
21834c34-ab32-4fc1-8d10-f9b48f150eab?bas
With Gaines planning their demise, the pressure is on Dodger and Fagin to find the missing money.

S01.E04: The Stitch Up
8aed8d37-7d66-465b-a68d-26690b1aa755?bas
Fagin serves up Gaines’ wife and Darius. Sneed attacks Dodger at the Governor’s dinner.

S01.E05: The Duel
e1666d4a-8903-45ec-88c5-5be6f96984f9?bas
Fagin plots to swap a valuable barrel with a fake. Sneed and Dodger’s rivalry culminates in a duel.

S01.E06: Bully in the Alley
f66bb6b2-ccdf-4ace-b260-7732c0d57e3d?bas
Gaines plans to rid the colony of crime. Red is captured and must undergo emergency surgery.

S01.E07: Wet Lettuce
b0a7e415-2d0e-4126-913a-bbbf4b12549b?bas
Fagin and Dodger attempt a risky heist in pursuit of gold. Belle reveals her secret to Jack.

S01.E08: Untapped Potential
(Season Finale)

2e94458c-c634-405f-85a0-01c6a4dd8eea?bas
Jack attempts to save Belle but is betrayed and arrested by Gaines.

• Like 1

I binge watched this in half a day and thoroughly enjoyed it!! The banter between the leads, the humour, the romance, all the different characters were all very enjoyable.. It also left off on a good ending, the story can easily be continued if there would be a second season.

The only minor dislike was I wish they done a better job for the women's costumes especially for Belle. I'm not entirely sure if her outfits were supposed to be so tacky and brightly colored. That blue checkered pattern skirt was hideous as well as that red/yellow/orange striped combo she wears for literally just one scene.

Maybe those prints/colors were popular at the time? or it was a concious choice from the costume dept. Also it just seemed like they used the most cheapest crinoline underskirt they could find for their dresses, it just did not look natural under those skirts. At one point it looked like there was balloons instead of an underskirt.

I watched the first episode last night and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Thomas Brodie Sangster is just so adorable and his scenes with David Thewliss were fun.  I could listen to Jack and Fagin all day.  (Of course Fagin had to name check Oliver.)  It was funnier than I expected.  Who would have thought the Dodger would grow up to be a brilliant surgeon?  Not sure if adding Belle will dampen the entertainment since she is a walking cliche, but I'm definitely looking forward to watching more.

It's like The Nick with more laughs and less opium.

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 1

I binge watched this yesterday and thought it was delightful. The cast was great and  the twists (pun intended!) were amusing. I’m a romantic at heart and thought the main couple had great chemistry and enjoyed the banter.

Belle was a bit holier-than-thou but I thought it made complete sense for the period. She had both immense privilege and yet was also so constrained by the societal mores of the time. Still, I loved those little moments where someone pointed out her blind spots, especially when 

Spoiler

Red said Belle’s family were the biggest thieves in town.

• Love 2

I have only watched the first episode, but I am in! I kind of love Belle and her gives zero effs about being polite to her "suitor" and the acceptable activities for ladies of this era. I like the lightly humorous tone of this, as well as the setting. Kind of creeped out by the surgeries being a form of entertainment for the masses. Gross. But Jack and Belle are cute together and have great chemistry, as well as Jack and Fagin. I will keep watching!

• Like 1

I am going to assume Belle's costumes are so tacky on purpose, the Australia of the time period being considered a "back-water". 

TBS was also excellent in Netflix'  "Queens Gambit".   Does he keep a portrait of himself that ages in his attic?

I binged the first 3 episodes enjoying them very much and forced myself to pause - the show is too good for me to just burn through it.

I like the combo of period drama with satirical comedy, mixed with the modern music and the more realistic horror of the state of medicine during the time period and the history of transportation and treatment of the convicts. The main cast are very skilled and likable and very rootable, even Fagin, gasp.

Add to that the show poking fun at deserving targets like upperclass twits, "upstanding" members of the local society and the clergy, and the military.

Edited by magdalene
  • Like 6

I am in show love like I haven't been in years. Partly because the Artful Dodger was my first love when I was nine years old and saw Oliver! for the first time. I've been obsessed with this character ever since. Fagin was perfectly cast and the pair had the fun banter of a vaudeville routine down pat.

Easy to hand wave wild historical inaccuracies and unlikely plots and simply to enjoy the entertainment for what it was. A very satisfying outing into adventure and romance. and yes, the ladies' costuming was awful lol.

• Like 3
On 12/12/2023 at 8:09 AM, BonnieD said:

the ladies' costuming was awful

I've been trying to ration the episodes because they are so entertaining and just watched epi 7 last night.  Yes, Belle's costumes are terrible, the worst in this one, a striped monstrosity I'm sure was never imagined in any early Victorian dressmaker's worst nightmare.  It reminded me of this:

image.thumb.png.0c85c8adf432b29aca7b126ac9acdade.png

Anyway... Oliver Twist!  I was surprised Oliver was smart enough or kind enough to not out Jack about their past.

We watched the last episode last night after parceling them out slowly over the holidays to enjoy them more, and I have to say this is one of my favorite shows of 2023. The ending is such a cliffhanger, I really really hope there is a season two to adsress some of the lingering questions:

Will Jack be released for saving Belle's life? I don't see him being Fagin's convict servant....

And will Jack and Belle be able to be together? Probably not - Belle's mom will never forgive him, but Papa is wavering after he saved his true love......speaking of, what happens to her for turning over the gold? I am sure there questions about how she got it!

Will Sneed treat him better now that he knows Jack is a better surgeon than him? Also probably not.......

What happens with Oliver?

What does Fagin do now that he has a full pardon?

I really need to know all of these things? This show was too good to only be a miniseries that ended with so many loose threads!

Hello people. I am here to apologize. Now that I have found this show and enjoyed it, that means it will likely not be renewed. Sorry in advance. 😉

(Just in case it confuses anyone - I have not read anything saying whether or not it was renewed. I am just referencing my own luck with shows and suggesting that I am a jinx.)

• Sad 1