Type keyword(s) to search

S35: Rob and Corey McArthur

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

From Entertainment Weekly: 

image.png.8a3c5ad02bff29b02eb35e38f759ee77.png

Rob, 48, and Corey McArthur, 25, are a father-and-son duo from Riverside, Calif. and New York City. Rob works as a teaching assistant and assistant football coach, while Corey is a senior manager of client strategy and analytics. "My dad has really inspired me to always live putting my values first in pretty much everything that I do, and there's a unique twist on it with my dad being deaf, so we can show the world, you know, deaf people can raise their children and have a really intimate relationship with them," Corey said in a preview.

• Love 3

I love them.  Last week a preview showed there was a twist, turned out to be a keep on running one, but some people thought it could be a partner twist.  I don't think they would do that this season because it would be unfair to Rob.  D we know if there is some sort of interpreter for the challenges when Rob is alone?

On 10/14/2023 at 1:59 PM, kav said:

I love them.  Last week a preview showed there was a twist, turned out to be a keep on running one, but some people thought it could be a partner twist.  I don't think they would do that this season because it would be unfair to Rob.  D we know if there is some sort of interpreter for the challenges when Rob is alone?

Yes, in the Roadblock in the first episode where one person had to go to the roof and unscramble letters, Rob did it.  He had an interpreter with him that we saw on camera who spoke for him when he gave Phil the answer.

I am curious if this interpreter is assigned to travel around with them everywhere.  If so, how does he fit in the car?  Or does he travel with production staff and is only on hand for Roadblocks requiring verbal communication, in case Rob does it?

Rob does seem to be able to speak, I think this indicates he lost his hearing as a child after he became verbal.  And he can read lips.  So he wouldn't be completely helpless.

I started watching their youtube recaps. Interesting to learn that they did not have interpreters during the legs. They only had them at safety briefings and post-race interviews/talking heads... which explains things like Rob struggling to get feedback and figure out what he needed to fix at the lotus bouquet task. 

Also, Rob is only 48 and Corey is 25 so even though the race is tiring, it seems like it's more the way they push themselves than a lack of athleticism or stamina. Though they did plan ahead to have Corey try to take the brunt of the physical challenges.

• Like 5
9 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I started watching their youtube recaps. Interesting to learn that they did not have interpreters during the legs.

I guess that sort of makes sense.  All the clues are in writing anyways, the most any locals at the tasks say to you is in essence a thumbs up/down as to whether you've done it right.  So it really isn't a necessity to have verbal communication during the tasks.  But I thought we saw an interpreter at one point early on.  I don't remember enough of the situation, though.

I tried watching their recaps, but I had two issues:  1) Corey's sound was off - it wasn't synced and so his lips didn't match what he was saying; and that would be fine if I could just listen to it, but 2) Rob's part is all subtitled, and it was just going too slow to keep my attention.

I'd like to hear their thoughts on some things from Ep 10, though, so I may slog through that one.

• Like 1
On 12/1/2023 at 9:43 AM, chaifan said:

I guess that sort of makes sense.  All the clues are in writing anyways, the most any locals at the tasks say to you is in essence a thumbs up/down as to whether you've done it right.  So it really isn't a necessity to have verbal communication during the tasks.  But I thought we saw an interpreter at one point early on.  I don't remember enough of the situation, though.

I tried watching their recaps, but I had two issues:  1) Corey's sound was off - it wasn't synced and so his lips didn't match what he was saying; and that would be fine if I could just listen to it, but 2) Rob's part is all subtitled, and it was just going too slow to keep my attention.

I'd like to hear their thoughts on some things from Ep 10, though, so I may slog through that one.

I watched the one where they mentioned they saw comments online that criticized when they used their pass but they felt differently and said the other roadblock, the recycling was super easy and fast so they were def happy.  I also read online that both Corey's parents are deaf.  I like them both a lot and really hope they win, the final three are all winners.  The whole season has had awesome teams.

• Like 6

I have 2 questions I am curious about with them.  I am wondering if Rob gave anyone on the race any ASL sign names and what his and Corey's are, and in the last episode with the poetry, I assume whoever said if his part was right knows ASL, and for him what would have been considered wrong for that task.  I am guessing misspelling of any words that needed to be spelled out would not count as wrong.

On 12/10/2023 at 10:02 PM, kav said:

I have 2 questions I am curious about with them.  I am wondering if Rob gave anyone on the race any ASL sign names and what his and Corey's are, and in the last episode with the poetry, I assume whoever said if his part was right knows ASL, and for him what would have been considered wrong for that task.  I am guessing misspelling of any words that needed to be spelled out would not count as wrong.

I found it surprising that at one point I thought I saw Rob sign out "roadblock" using individual letters. (But not knowing ASL, maybe I got that wrong.) I would have expected them to create some custom gestures for key race terms (and competitors). Seeing how Tasha did that on GBBO it made a lot of sense. Both fun and expedient!

I was also a little surprised throughout how little not being able to hear affected their performance. The glass blowing in the finale looked like one of the tougher situations -- the ability to hear your partner say "keep turning" or "stop blowing" without looking up or using hands would have been helpful! But they made it through without a big deal.

• Like 1
(edited)

Finally finished this season and just have to give a shoutout to my favorite team, who just happens to also be my hometown team! Though the header says that neither of them live here anymore, Corey shouted out growing up in Vancouver, WA in the final episode, and Rob coached the football team for the Washington School of the Deaf here. I know because the School is right next to my homebrew supply shop. We have...different priorities. 😁 I could never pull off that trapeze thing in a million years. Good on Rob for never giving up!

Really wish they could have won, of course, but happy that they represented Vancouver so well (as well as the deaf and CODA communities, obviously)!  Wishing them all the best and fingers very much crossed that they appear on a future all-star season. 

Edited by Iseut
emoji
  • Like 3