Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Defections, Connections, and Total Perplexion

• Start Topic

I just won’t ever see how calling someone pampered is a disgusting personal attack. And for me, Gabriel reacting badly to Chris’ betrayal doesn’t negate the fact that Chris reacted in a really OTT to an innocuous comment. Two people can be wrong at the same time.

And to me, Chris proved Gabriel right a bit with how he was looking to Production in a way that suggested to me he wanted Gabriel punished in some way for the crime of calling him ‘pampered.’ 

I would have maybe got it slightly more if Chris was reacting to the God stuff Gabriel was spewing but it seemed to be the ‘pampered’ that got him. That could have been editing though.

And now I need to rewatch that again and laugh at the way Gabriel said ‘pampered buddy’ lol.

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I just won’t ever see how calling someone pampered is a disgusting personal attack. And for me, Gabriel reacting badly to Chris’ betrayal doesn’t negate the fact that Chris reacted in a really OTT to an innocuous comment. Two people can be wrong at the same time.

And to me, Chris proved Gabriel right a bit with how he was looking to Production in a way that suggested to me he wanted Gabriel punished in some way for the crime of calling him ‘pampered.’ 

I would have maybe got it slightly more if Chris was reacting to the God stuff Gabriel was spewing but it seemed to be the ‘pampered’ that got him. That could have been editing though.

And now I need to rewatch that again and laugh at the way Gabriel said ‘pampered buddy’ lol.

When was Chris looking to production in a way suggesting he wanted Gabriel punished? All I saw was them talking to each other.

I think Chris was reacting to all of it. You're portraying it like they were just hashing out the game stuff, Gabe said "you're pampered", and Chris immediately threw a fit. It wasn't just the simple phrase "you're pampered" that caused him to get upset. It was the cumulative effect of everything - the character comments, the God comments, the hypocrisy - that was building up his frustration. You could see Chris getting progressively more upset. And the "no one's ever pushed back on you, that must be how you were raised" was the last straw. That's not an innocuous comment, especially in light of everything else Gabriel said. That's an insult, crossing into "insulting your family" territory. Maybe not "disgusting" (which I never said), but still over the line over a dumb reality show betrayal.

Chris isn't flawless and maybe he should have just let it roll off his back, but when it's actually happening to you, that's not always so easy. But anyway. You thought Gabe's comments were funny and Chris was overly sensitive, I thought Gabe's comments were shitty and Chris was justified in being pissed. We're going to have to leave it at that.

27 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

This is how I feel. I don’t think there was a bad guy or a good guy in the situation. But two people lashing out when their buttons were pressed. I think there was a lot of truth in what each of them said. Gabriel’s reaction was somewhat hypocritical and Chris is pampered. 

Chris was pretty clearly talking to the BTS people a couple times. He was basically looking into the cameras when he was all ‘That’s a personal attack!’ He had left the room Gabriel was in at that time so he wasn’t talking to him.

Although, that whole scene from beginning to end felt a bit like re-enacted or staged to me honestly.

7 minutes ago, Dani said:

Gabriel’s reaction was somewhat hypocritical and Chris is pampered. 

Yes! Gabriel took Chris’ game betrayal personally and then Chris took the ‘pampered’ comment way too hard.

Afterwards, I think Gabriel realized it and apologized but I didn’t see Chris coming to the same realization that he acted OTT.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

I think Chris was reacting to all of it. You're portraying it like they were just hashing out the game stuff, Gabe said "you're pampered", and Chris immediately threw a fit. It wasn't just the simple phrase "you're pampered" that caused him to get upset. It was the cumulative effect of everything - the character comments, the God comments, the hypocrisy - that was building up his frustration. You could see Chris getting progressively more upset. And the "no one's ever pushed back on you, that must be how you were raised" was the last straw. That's not an innocuous comment, especially in light of everything else Gabriel said. That's an insult, crossing into "insulting your family" territory. Maybe not "disgusting" (which I never said), but still over the line over a dumb reality show betrayal.

My impression was the Chris was interpreting Gabriel’s words differently than Gabriel was intending. Chris said that Gabriel was saying he didn’t have a backbone which I did not get from Gabriel at all. 

Donny osmond isn't just some obscure 70s pop star. He had a long-running show in Vegas, starred in a Broadway show, and performed all over the country in "Joseph". Then he was on Dancing with the Stars  and The Mask. He and Marie had a TV variety show, and I'm pretty sure he hosted a TV game show.  It astounds me that nobody has figured it out yet, and that their guesses have been so far afield.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
24 minutes ago, tinkerbell said:

Donny osmond isn't just some obscure 70s pop star.

YES!! This is what I can’t figure out and why I think maybe the producers are staging/editing some of this. People may not have been fans of the Osmonds in the 70s - heck, these contestants weren’t even born then - but Donny and Marie Osmond are practically pop icons in America. I simply can’t fathom that none of the contestants can figure it out.

• Like 5

I do think they will eventually figure Chris out. Monay's relative is much harder, to me. Like, I would NEVER figure it out if I was in that house. I only know him from "Last Comic Standing" and the Little Ceasars commercials.

Edited by Catgyrl68
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, Dani said:

My impression was the Chris was interpreting Gabriel’s words differently than Gabriel was intending. Chris said that Gabriel was saying he didn’t have a backbone which I did not get from Gabriel at all. 

Very good point. I forgot about him saying that. I was like, 'huh?' So maybe Chris doesn't know what 'pampered' means lol. Or maybe there was more there than we were shown. But, based on Gabriel 'why is he so mad?' type reaction, I think Chris was just taking what Gabriel was saying differently than Gabriel was intending.

I felt that Chris's anger was the result of having his character and upbringing questioned by Gabriel, and truthfully, that was my interpretation also.  Gabriel wears a facade of good guy, but I am not sure it is who he is in reality.  He is honest about what he knows and doesn't know, at least when he is interacting with the audience.   Also, in a both sides post here, I looked up Donny Osmond's four sons, and Chris is the third of the four.  His younger brother is 7 years younger than him, so he was the baby of the family for seven years.  Take that as you see it.

• Like 2

Isn't pampered the same as spoiled?  I initially thought Gabriel was telling Chris to have thicker skin / don't be so sensitive, but "pampered" means something else entirely. I understood Chris's reaction.

I've been an Osmond fan since the 70's but I swear, I'm being completely, totally, 100% objective! 🤣

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
58 minutes ago, GeorgiaRai said:

Isn't pampered the same as spoiled?

It can be but with the way Gabriel was using it he seemed to mean that Chris wasn’t used to being challenged. I saw it has another way of saying privileged. I don’t see that as an insult because Chris does come from extraordinary privilege.

The comment that Gabriel was saying he didn’t have a backbone is what didn’t make any sense to me. 

I rewatched the beginning of what happened and I really don’t know what Chris hoped to gain from approaching Gabriel. Chris tells the camera that it’s going to be hard for Gabe to accept that the guy he “trusted all this time has just betrayed him.” He describes it as a betrayal but when he approached Gabriel he didn’t apologize. He rationalized and tried to justify what he did. And from there it just blew up. 

31 minutes ago, Dani said:

The comment that Gabriel was saying he didn’t have a backbone is what didn’t make any sense to me. 

Maybe Gabriel said that too and it was edited out.  Who knows what other things Gabriel may have said that were edited out.

Just now, Gemma Violet said:

Maybe Gabriel said that too and it was edited out.  Who knows what other things Gabriel may have said that were edited out.

Maybe but the reverse is also true. 

I just re-watched and here's some of what Gabriel said:

"boy", sucker punched, stabbed me in the back, you made a vow, didn't even sleep on it..

all understandable as game play. 

But then, he goes on:

We are different, for sure. I was loyal to the word I gave you. I'm about character, not strategy. God fights for me. I know a snake when I see a snake. You showed yourself; here's the mirror. It's a pattern of character. You're obviously guilty, you just aren't used to being called out because you've probably been pampered, buddy; but I see you.   

I don't understand Chris's "no backbone" reply, but still think Gabe's comments were insulting on a personal level, way beyond game play. 

• Like 7
1 hour ago, GeorgiaRai said:

I initially thought Gabriel was telling Chris to have thicker skin / don't be so sensitive, but "pampered" means something else entirely. I understood Chris's reaction.

Maybe he meant "coddled." 

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, GeorgiaRai said:

"boy", sucker punched, stabbed me in the back, you made a vow, didn't even sleep on it..

Are you sure those aren’t lyrics to a Billie Eilish song? 😆

I think both Chris and Gabriel overreacted, but I can see why Chris got so upset. It did sound like a personal attack on his character and upbringing. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
22 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

JR because he guessed Chris’ relative wrong. If you have a DVR, you can probably watch the episode on Demand through your cable company. 

Thanks, pezgirl. I see that it's going to re-air on Thursday, so that will save me from having to sit through all the commercials On Demand. 👍

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Soapy Goddess said:

Thanks, pezgirl. I see that it's going to re-air on Thursday, so that will save me from having to sit through all the commercials On Demand. 👍

I hear you, On Demand is a last resort for me. If you don't want to wait till tomorrow, you can try ABC's site. It was commercial free for me. You have to sign in with your provider, but they accept streaming providers also, not just cable. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
13 hours ago, Dani said:

I rewatched the beginning of what happened and I really don’t know what Chris hoped to gain from approaching Gabriel. Chris tells the camera that it’s going to be hard for Gabe to accept that the guy he “trusted all this time has just betrayed him.” He describes it as a betrayal but when he approached Gabriel he didn’t apologize. He rationalized and tried to justify what he did. And from there it just blew up. 

So, Chris went into it knowing it was a betrayal or at least that Gabriel would feel that way and then acted surprised when Gabriel took it as a personal betrayal.

I too thought Chris probably thought of 'privileged' when Gabriel said 'pampered.' His reaction was giving Ben Platt anytime someone points out he's a nepobaby lol.

On 8/15/2023 at 1:51 PM, JakeyJokes said:

I’ll give the other players some credit, though. Karsyn remembers the shredding clue as being about “colorful coats”, when the clue specifically mentioned DREAMCOAT.

I cracks me up every time they sat "colorful jacket" when the clue was "Technicolor Dreamcoat!!

On 8/16/2023 at 12:20 AM, Soapy Goddess said:

This episode was preempted for the Bachelor in my area. No warning...my DVR just recorded what was aired, so I totally missed it. Who was eliminated?

This has been answered but I the The Bachlorette got pushed because of Trump's arraignment earlier.

On 8/16/2023 at 7:12 AM, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

They said Curb Your Enthusiam but also SNL.  I'm thinking Tim Meadows. I had to google it but Tim Meadows was also on Curb Your Enthusiasm at one point. 

Add in Far From Home and it's definitely JB Smoove.  If these clowns can't get Donny Osmond, there's vo way they're getting him.

On 8/16/2023 at 6:15 PM, pezgirl7 said:

Are you sure those aren’t lyrics to a Billie Eilish song? 😆

I think you mean Billy Idol, but aren't they cousins?  LOL

• LOL 1
On 8/17/2023 at 12:51 PM, seacliffsal said:

Well, with Chris proclaiming "I'm invincible' at the end, it pretty much tells me that he loses.  

Unfortunately, you're probably right.  I was hoping he'd win it in the end, but that's a hunk of foreshadowing there.

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Like 3
9 hours ago, JH Lipton said:

I cracks me up every time they sat "colorful jacket" when the clue was "Technicolor Dreamcoat!!

Didn't it say like 'colorful dreamcoat' or something? They probably thought 'technicolor dreamcoat' would be too much. Little did they no, no one even knows who Donny Osmond is lol.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Didn't it say like 'colorful dreamcoat' or something? They probably thought 'technicolor dreamcoat' would be too much. Little did they no, no one even knows who Donny Osmond is lol.

It was “amazing coloured dreamcoat”. 

15 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

Even Donny Osmond is saying he doesn't know who Chris is:

I'm sure that the celebs has to sign non-disclosure agreements.  "Chris?  Chris who??? Definitely not my son!"

12 hours ago, Dani said:

It was “amazing coloured dreamcoat”. 

I guess "Techni" got left on the cutting room floor!  LOL

8 hours ago, JH Lipton said:

I'm sure that the celebs has to sign non-disclosure agreements.  "Chris?  Chris who??? Definitely not my son!"

And I remember back when Donny was on the Masked Singer, Marie was giving a tv interview and she confirmed that he was the Peacock. OMG, the wrath that rained down on her head for that gaffe was ridiculous!!!  I’m sure he learned a lesson from her mistake. 

Edited by JJ1
  • Like 2
17 hours ago, JH Lipton said:

I'm sure that the celebs has to sign non-disclosure agreements.

I doubt it. I can’t see Tom Hanks signing a non-disclosure agreement so Carly could be on the show. 

36 minutes ago, tinkerbell said:

Last season Whoopi Goldberg bragged that her relative (granddaughter?) was on the show. So maybe they told the celebs this year to keep it quiet.

They encouraged that since The View and Claim to Fame are on the same network and the show revealed she was Whoopi’s granddaughter in the first episode. 

1 hour ago, Gemma Violet said:

Last season, when the other contestants came back in the finale, had they been sequestered and knew nothing, or did they know who was who and told the remaining contestants?  I can't remember how it went.

They were sequestered but the final challenge basically gave everything away. The game confirmed Dean Martin for everyone and Keke Palmer for everyone but Logan. It was hinted that Michael may have told Logan who LC was related to but was never confirmed since he didn’t guess. Pepper was able to guess Jason Aldean based on one of the answers and told LC leading to her win.

So the returning contestants could have spilled everything but they ended having no impact on the result. 

2 hours ago, Dani said:

They were sequestered but the final challenge basically gave everything away. The game confirmed Dean Martin for everyone and Keke Palmer for everyone but Logan. It was hinted that Michael may have told Logan who LC was related to but was never confirmed since he didn’t guess. Pepper was able to guess Jason Aldean based on one of the answers and told LC leading to her win.

So the returning contestants could have spilled everything but they ended having no impact on the result. 

Thanks.  My memory is terrible for things like that.  I can barely remember what I ate for lunch yesterday.

• LOL 2

For all that they keep going on about Chris being the biggest threat, the rest of them should also be looking at Karsyn. How many people are going to throw themselves on their swords leveling her (horrible) guesses about Chris instead of taking the easiest target - her?  Karsyn's eliminating the competition by sending them in to make shitty guesses about Chris. 

And how stupid are these people? I can see not focusing on an ambiguous clue that you can tell yourself "I just don't see how that fits, but it probably does." But a straight forward clue like Utah, and these idiots are guessing British people? Sure, it's not telling them who it is, but it should absolutely be telling them who it can't be. 

I could see the final 2 coming down to Monay and Chris, and it will just come down to which one of them is guessing. And whoever is doing the guessing will likely lose, unless some major clue comes out that finally clicks for someone. 

• Like 3