Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E04: This Ugly Duckling Is Now a Swan

• Start Topic

It's a shame how the elimination turned out, because I was really rooting for Shayla/Joel but Amanda killed the paddle boarding task. It was great to see her do well and Shayla/Joel really screwed up by getting lost and having to ask for directions. That likely slowed them down enough for Devon/Amanda to catch up after their ten minute penalty. 

The tasks were fun. I did have a good chuckle at Youtube Bros getting out of the Haunted Mansion task first, only to have to wait at the Face Off. Derpal were toned down a bit, though they constantly only talk about their rivalries, which is a bit annoying. 

I do like the top four a lot. I'm glad Ty/Kat slipped to fourth; it lowers their target a tiny bit by not being at the top. 

Gracie/Lily have grown on me quite a bit; they may now top Ty/Kat for the team I'm rooting for the most.

Jermaine/Justin powered through their Speed Bump by shoveling the ice cream as fast as they could. At least Justin had a better attitude this episode, but I realize that I don't think I'll be getting over his quitting twice last episode. Plus, that Speed Bump was super easy. I mean, they're not going to let anyone actually get hurt by the tarantulas so unless someone has a deep phobia, it'll be easy to shove down ice cream in less than five minutes. I think of wish the bowl was twice as big, to add a little bit of time.

Mostly fine as an episode. This is my current rankings on who I personally am rooting for:

1. Gracie/Lily - Their attitude is infectious and absolutely love to see them do so well. And I love their rivalry with Derpal.

2. Ty/Kat - They've been such a solid team with a great attitude.

3. Ben/Anwar - They're above Tyler/Kayleen, only because I think they'll last longer, but I also really enjoy their partnership. 

4. Tyler/Kayleen - I like them plenty, but I do think Tyler's inability to outrun anyone is going to get them eliminated earlier. They're a fine team, though.

5. Derek/Jaspal - I may not personally love them, but begrudgingly admit that they're a strong team that has been doing well thus far. Plus, they did help their rivals so they're not total dicks. I think they need to tone down the "us against the world" angle they're aiming for, but they've had moments of being just fine.

6. Jermaine/Justin - The reason why they're lower is because, although Derpal annoy me to no end, Justin quitting tasks last episode really soured me of the team and I realize I'm probably not getting over it. I can get over shitty moods in one leg, I can't get over taking two penalties because things got hard. One penalty, fine. Two penalties, not acceptable. I wanted to get over it, but I guess I can't.

7. Devon/Amanda - Only because I don't really connect with them at all. I've wanted to, but I feel like Devon's been getting on my nerves in some tasks and I can't really figure out why. But otherwise, such a forgettable team. 

Finally, so many product placements. But I guess, in order for this show to continue on, they NEED all those product placements to pay for the show. So, I guess I can't be mad, knowing that if I want to keep watching TAR Canada, I need to suffer through the ten product placements per episode.

• Like 4

I did like how Justin and Jermaine shocked their competition in the tent task.  And how with the spide4 Justin said finish now, freak out later and Jermaine quipped about how he should have done that at the bungy.  

Fun tasks, yet again and no one I actively dislike.  

Although I agree J and J still need to do more to make up for being double quitters last week. 

• Like 2
(edited)

I knew (as likely everyone did) that Jermaine/Justin were not going home this week by the title of the episode. I don't know if I have ever seen an easier speedbump? That annoyed me. IMO the speedbump should have been at least as hard as one or both of the tasks they ditched. It would not have been hard to set up a task like the table setting one that required attention to detail and communication. Or at least take longer than the few minutes it took to eat ice cream. Ugh.

The biggest surprise was learning that Lily is Robert Bateman's granddaughter! If that were me, I'd be shouting it from the rooftops! It took us 4 epis in to find this little tidbit out, which endeared me to the team even more. My top three is the same as Lady Calypso's, though one and two are switched. But I really like all three. There really isn't a team I dislike, but like DEL901, it will take me longer than an episode to get over Justin and Jermaine ditching two tasks. 

This was a fun epi to watch as I have been to the Malahat Skywalk (it is stunning!) and the castle in Victoria. I love that TARC stays in Canada, as I am either watching places I have been, or adding to a list of places I want to go. Our country is so beautiful, and I love that this show highlights that! 

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Like 4

I have serious bias, because I live in Victoria, and consider it my home (while I am originally from Vancouver), but this was a great episode! While Greater Victoria isn't massive, they covered some good KMs on this leg - especially driving from Nanaimo to the Skywalk, then down to Victoria, then out to Sooke. I do call shennanigans on the ferry though - a team who left Whistler at 12:15 should not be on the same ferry as a team who left Whistler at 4:00. (They currently leave every 2 hours, this was filmed in the spring, so would be a different schedule slightly, but still, and I digress...)

I wonder if Lily is aware that Victoria used to house a Bateman gallery downtown, but it closed? (Sorry, Lily.)

Also, I checked, Craigderroch doesn't actually have a Haunted Mansion exibit on. BOO. (Still well worth going to.)

Glad J&J did well this episode. (And note to self, don't go to the Bug Zoo.) They really ripped right through that tent task.

Same as @Lady Calypso I am having a harder time connecting to Deven and also find something rubbing me the wrong way. He and Amanda seem to make little mistakes that add up and keep them towards the back.

I don't actively dislike any of the teams, but Derpal is a bit much most of the time.

• Like 3
21 hours ago, DEL901 said:

I did like how Justin and Jermaine shocked their competition in the tent task.

17 hours ago, RunningMarket said:

Glad J&J did well this episode. (And note to self, don't go to the Bug Zoo.) They really ripped right through that tent task.

I don't even remember seeing them get through the tent task. Did they show it? Or were they so good at it that it really did go that fast.

36 minutes ago, Starchild said:

I don't even remember seeing them get through the tent task. Did they show it? Or were they so good at it that it really did go that fast.

They showed it quickly.  I think it was Jermaine who said he had been a Scout for years and just blasted through the steps with the soldiers.  The team they were against weren’t even halfway done.  

• Like 2
On 7/26/2023 at 9:47 AM, Lady Calypso said:

Jermaine/Justin powered through their Speed Bump by shoveling the ice cream as fast as they could. At least Justin had a better attitude this episode, but I realize that I don't think I'll be getting over his quitting twice last episode. Plus, that Speed Bump was super easy. I mean, they're not going to let anyone actually get hurt by the tarantulas so unless someone has a deep phobia, it'll be easy to shove down ice cream in less than five minutes. I think of wish the bowl was twice as big, to add a little bit of time.

21 hours ago, UsernameFatigue said:

I knew (as likely everyone did) that Jermaine/Justin were not going home this week by the title of the episode. I don't know if I have ever seen an easier speedbump? That annoyed me. IMO the speedbump should have been at least as hard as one or both of the tasks they ditched. It would not have been hard to set up a task like the table setting one that required attention to detail and communication. Or at least take longer than the few minutes it took to eat ice cream. Ugh.

I am terrified of spiders. When I saw that Speed Bump, all I could think was that I might probably have to take a penalty on that.

The only way that I MIGHT be able to get through that would be not to look AT ALL and then shovel that ice cream like I've never eaten anything in my life.  I too would be screaming like a lunatic when it was all over.

Lots of product placement in general, but it's the cost of being able to have the show, so I'm fine with it.  I recall when the production values of Canadian TV were so awful - it's nice to see that we can at least have good quality for our shows.

There haven't been a lot of Roadblocks - just team things where they are separated.  I wonder why?

On 7/26/2023 at 12:30 PM, RunningMarket said:

I have serious bias, because I live in Victoria, and consider it my home (while I am originally from Vancouver), but this was a great episode! While Greater Victoria isn't massive, they covered some good KMs on this leg - especially driving from Nanaimo to the Skywalk, then down to Victoria, then out to Sooke. I do call shennanigans on the ferry though - a team who left Whistler at 12:15 should not be on the same ferry as a team who left Whistler at 4:00. (They currently leave every 2 hours, this was filmed in the spring, so would be a different schedule slightly, but still, and I digress...)

Just seeing if they make it on the ferry is exciting enough for part of an episode. I’ve had the joy of being squeezed in at the last minute, and the anguish of that red cone being placed in front of my car. 

• Like 2
12 hours ago, hula-la said:

Just seeing if they make it on the ferry is exciting enough for part of an episode. I’ve had the joy of being squeezed in at the last minute, and the anguish of that red cone being placed in front of my car. 

I was with a group of ladies from work, and we literally cheered in the car as we were squeezed in. 😆 I've also been the recipient of the cone of shame.

• Like 2
On 7/26/2023 at 3:30 PM, RunningMarket said:

I do call shennanigans on the ferry though - a team who left Whistler at 12:15 should not be on the same ferry as a team who left Whistler at 4:00. (They currently leave every 2 hours, this was filmed in the spring, so would be a different schedule slightly, but still, and I digress...)

For that matter, Jermain and Justin started only 13 minutes behind the team ahead of them makes me think they just forgot about their penalty. I mean they should have been 6 hours behind at least someone. I get that having them be a ferry or two behind would make for a boring leg, and difficult with the faceoff. But just ignoring it was annoying.

I am enjoying this season though. Although my kids are getting annoyed a bit though since in every episode they have gone someplace I have been. I grew up in Victoria and my dad had a business in Sooke so this was a big one.

• Like 2