Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Classically-Trained: Easy as Pie

• Start Topic

It really seems like they're making harder crime scenes for the self taught bakers.   Earlier this season they had the Boardwalk pie for them which is not a well know dessert and last week it was structured to make it questionable whether it was even savory while this week it was 100% clear it was a savory pie.   I also think the quarter cutout bonus clue was more obvious than the transfer sheet with the chocolate smears the self taught bakers got.

• Like 7
  • Applause 2

I have to call foul on "a side of peas." That has nothing to do with a 'bake' and if peas are included, they should be in the final dish.

I have to say that only the "reveal" pot pie looked in any way appetizing.  It's probably not the best choice for TV competition. 

I'm also getting a little tired of the second bake being a cake.

• Like 7

I think I have said this before but I really think the teams need more time in the crime scene kitchen.  Two minutes is just not enough time.  Even if teams had time to look in all of the cabinets and dustbins and refrigerator and drawers and dishwasher and purses and whatnot and found all of the supposed clues, the clues are vague enough that you could still end up making the completely wrong thing.

For example, in the Safety Bake, did Curtis or Yolanda explain why half of the rotisserie chicken was gone but somehow it wasn't used whatsoever in the beef and ale pie with a side of peas?  So now we have things that look clearly used but apparently not used at all?  "Oh never mind the half-eaten chicken, Joel just got hungry in between takes."

There were full bottles of ale in the fridge, leading Amber and Yass to say the ale wasn't opened.  Sherry and Sally were the only ones to find the bottle caps in the trash, good for them since this led to their win.  However... where are the empty bottles?  Just disappeared into thin air?  Or I guess that makes it too easy if there were empty bottles.

If this were the first season, I think DJ and his partner (I forget his name, I've been calling him Thomas Jr since he kind of looks and sounds like Thomas from last season) would have survived.  They at least made a beef and ale pie, only with chicken stock instead of beef stock.  They were way closer to the mystery bake than Camille and Laisa, who made a vegetable pie.

But it seems the slate is wiped clean for the Elimination.  Both teams were rushed as Yolanda said, but DJ's cake looked really sad and apparently didn't taste as good either.  Based on this cake alone, they were the right team to go home.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

I swear the menu showed: vegetable pie in a pie plate, fish pie in a fish-shaped pastry, and beef pie and chicken pies in round pastry shapes. I thought that was the reason why the French ladies made vegetable- it was the only one in a pie plate. 

I think the main reason the team won the cake challenge was that the one lady identified it as a 'cut away' cake by looking at the marks on the empty cake stand.  She was very observant to recognize what it was by seeing the triangular shaped marks that were left.  Even if all teams had made the actual cakes the right flavor with the correct icing, I think not making it a 'cut away' cake would have eliminated the other two teams.  When the winning ladies saw the extra clue being the shape of the cut outs, they knew they had gotten it right. 

• Like 2

I got stuck on the logistics of how difficult it would be to cut and serve a "cut-away" cake.

This really is a fun show. Though I agree the teams need a little more time with the clues. And I wish they would at least acknowledge that the clue kitchen was redone for each team. The way its shown, you'd think there were multiple sets and all the teams were clue-hunting simultaneously. 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, tinkerbell said:

I got stuck on the logistics of how difficult it would be to cut and serve a "cut-away" cake.

This really is a fun show. Though I agree the teams need a little more time with the clues. And I wish they would at least acknowledge that the clue kitchen was redone for each team. The way its shown, you'd think there were multiple sets and all the teams were clue-hunting simultaneously. 

I think they say at the beginning of each show that "each team has two minutes in the crime scene kitchen."  That (to me) implies that there's only one kitchen, especially since the camera angles are all the same, showing each team enter the kitchen separately with a 2-minute timer running.  

• Like 2
On 7/17/2023 at 10:21 PM, Maverick said:

I also think the quarter cutout bonus clue was more obvious

Not for two of the teams who completely missed the implication that the cutouts meant a wedge was cut out of the cake.

On 7/18/2023 at 12:07 PM, blackwing said:

For example, in the Safety Bake, did Curtis or Yolanda explain why half of the rotisserie chicken was gone but somehow it wasn't used whatsoever

It was a red herring like the apples & pears in the lunchbox the previous week.  It is rather devious to do that.  I'm not mad at it, but I wouldn't care if it didn't happen, either.

As for the used ale bottles, I assumed they went into a recycle bin.

Not sure if it was the editing/timing but it seemed the cakes were being baked when the extra clue was presented. I would have figured out the cake was to be cut away but seeing the pink crumbs and knowing the cake was to be pink I wouldn’t have remade the cake.

On 7/19/2023 at 11:52 AM, proserpina65 said:

Not for two of the teams who completely missed the implication that the cutouts meant a wedge was cut out of the cake.

It was a red herring like the apples & pears in the lunchbox the previous week.  It is rather devious to do that.  I'm not mad at it, but I wouldn't care if it didn't happen, either.

As for the used ale bottles, I assumed they went into a recycle bin.

The bottles were missing because Joel took them with him after eating half the rotisserie chicken and tossing the bottlecaps on the floor to be swept into the dustpan.

• LOL 5