Type keyword(s) to search

OLTL Outside Llanview: The Cast In Other Roles

• Start Topic

(edited)

Speaking of our boy, Scott Evans' (Oliver Fish) indie movie I wouldn't shut up about mentioned a few times over the summer is being released in select theaters and on VOD next month!  It's now going by the much more generic title of "Almost Love", but it's still very exciting to see him as a lead.  Check out the trailer!

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 1
(edited)

Such sad news.  You could just tell that, despite excelling at playing sinister creeps like Mitch, he was a warm guy that people really liked working with.  And yes, to echo @dubbel zout, Mitch leaping out of Jared's coffin is one of my favorite soap moments of all time.

I'm sure she won't be alone, but here's what Melissa Archer had to say about working with Roscoe (and I'm with her, Natalie's many face-offs with Mitch were always excellent):

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 3
(edited)

Fun fact: the Sade classic "Smooth Operator" played during many of Mitch's scenes in the 80's; it was basically his theme song. (ETA: DUH, Andrea Evans mentioned it in her Tweet above! ❤️ )

Edited by UYI
  • Love 3
(edited)

Maybe music was cheaper in the 80s and 90s or maybe they used to spend so much on music it screwed the 00's budget. 

Anyway, serious topic. I saw the news about Roscoe on Twitter. I occasionally tune in to GH and during the cult story last year I just kept tuning out because that guy Shilo was a Z-list, poor-ass-man's Mitch Laurence. Roscoe was so good even as the material took it to ridiculous levels.

Edited by Gigi43
  • Love 3

Maybe music was cheaper in the 80s and 90s or maybe they used to spend so much on music it screwed the 00's budget. 

I just think they had bigger budgets in the 80s and 90s, so they could afford to actually spend money on music. Declining revenues and viewership probably screwed the 00's budgets more than anything...

Here is some stuff with Mitch, Dorian, and Tina from 1985...

• Love 2

For those of you who also watched Guiding Light, there will be an online reunion among some of the cast (after the successful ATWT online reunion the other day) on April 8th at 3 PM Eastern. Three dual GL and OLTL alumni--Kim Zimmer, Jerry ver Dorn, and Liz Keifer (she briefly played Joy O'Neill, the sister of Bo's late wife Didi, in the mid-80's)--are among the participants. 

https://www.soapoperadigest.com/content/guiding-light-online-reunion/

So Scott Evans' (Oliver Fish) indie movie "Almost Love" is now available on VOD and, having watched it over the weekend, I have some thoughts.

First, spoiler-free: I thought it was good, but not great, lots of interesting pieces that didn't full come together IMO.  But (my biases aside) I thought Scott really shone and the rest of the cast - particularly Augustus Prew, Kate Walsh, and Michelle Beuteau - elevated things too.

Now, some spoilery thoughts: 

Spoiler

I keep seeing this billed as a romantic comedy, and there is a bunch of that in the beginning, with the supporting characters in particular (one finds herself dating a homeless guy, another is fighting an attraction to a student, etc).  But it actually works better when it's more of an indie relationship/character drama, and focusing on the pivot point Scott's character Adam is at personally, professionally, and in his relationship with Prew's Marklin.  And as I early speculated, it was really cool seeing the chemistry Scott and Prew had in "Midnight Kiss" in a different context, in a different genre.  Scott also has really great chemistry with Kate Walsh, who plays his best friend.  Finally, Patricia Clarkson is excellent in a extended cameo as a shithead artist.

There was another ATWT reunion today, which included dual ATWT/OLTL Terri Conn, with a brief appearance from her husband, fellow ATWT/OLTL alum Austin Peck. It was funny; their daughters kept calling out to her (one is in first grade, the other is in preschool), so there were a few times where she had to mute the video and go deal with them. 😄 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VddvIz1EM44

(edited)

Laura Harrier (Destiny Evans, on the reboot) is one of the stars of "Hollywood", Ryan Murphy's new show that premiered on Netflix last week.  I haven't watched, but as I said when she was cast, definitely a good thing for her career given Murphy tends to cast the same actors again and again in his projects.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

Laura Harrier (Destiny Evans, on the reboot) is one of the stars of "Hollywood", Ryan Murphy's new show that premiered on Netflix last week.  I haven't watched, but as I said when she was cast, definitely a good thing for her career given Murphy tends to cast the same actors again and again in his projects.

She's pretty good so far.

I thought she was terrible and I was usually defending her during OLTL. But, in general, I thought pretty much everyone was real bad in it.

I still loved seeing her though because I love seeing anyone from OLTL in anything lol.

• LOL 1

I did a quarantine binge of Rizzoli & Isles, and I recognized a handful of OLTL alums. Jessica Tuck (Megan) played a serial killer. Chris McKenna (Joey) and Heather Tom (Kelly) played a married couple caught up in a surrogacy scam. Josh Kelly (Cutter) was a murder victim and Christopher Cousins (Cain) was a scheming businessman.

• Love 2
(edited)

I think Harrier was slightly miscast in Hollywood, tbh. She has a delicate beauty that worked for the part, but the breathy voice undercuts the strength she had to show.

Edited by dubbel zout
itals
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I thought she was terrible and I was usually defending her during OLTL. But, in general, I thought pretty much everyone was real bad in it.

Does she still do the tucking-hair-behind-the-ear thing and the slouching? Because that's what bugged me about her OLTL stint. "Such a pretty girl, but very green" was my assessment of her back then. I can't believe how long it's been.

(edited)

Paging @TeeVee329, @dubbel zout, @Melgaypet, @Dandesun, @Gigi43, and any other Jerry ver Dorn fans here! (ETA: Tag for @peachmangosteen, too!)

I had posted here before about how he had been included in a recent GL reunion online (I don't know if you saw it, @TeeVee329 / @Dandesun, but I actually sent you a PM about his appearance and/or the OLTL reunion a few days ago). Well, there is going to be a second one with him on May 12th at 3:00 PM Eastern! Again, I know most/all of you probably didn't watch GL, but I wanted to give you guys a heads up just in case, given that JVD has basically been away from acting since OLTL's second run ended in 2013, and even if you only see him for a few minutes, it's still something. 🙂 

Again, it will be a live stream, but you'll be able to watch it in full once it's over, too. Here's the link:

And just a reminder that the OLTL reunion is two days after that at 2:00 PM Eastern, too! I can't wait! 🙂 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, Melgaypet said:

Does she still do the tucking-hair-behind-the-ear thing and the slouching? Because that's what bugged me about her OLTL stint. "Such a pretty girl, but very green" was my assessment of her back then. I can't believe how long it's been.

The hair tucking!  Oh that takes me back...

She was definitely very green, but she did show improvement as the reboot went on (which is pretty impressive given how bananas the filming schedule ending up being).  And I do think she took some unearned crap - it's not her fault Shenell Edmonds didn't come back, she wasn't the one making choices about the character's physical appearance, etc.

• Love 3
(edited)

Happy 60th Birthday, Fiona Hutchison.

I won't lie--sometimes it's difficult to read this thread. You guys are so lucky to have so many favorites from this show who are still active in the business and who frequently post on social media. The last time Fiona was active on social media was in 2012, which also appears to be the last time she's ever had an acting credit--during OLTL's finale week on ABC. In a way, I'm AMAZED at how private she's been since then; even assuming she's still in upstate New York, where I know she at least used to have a theater company, I would think at least SOMETHING about her would be publicized in the past eight years. And yet, nothing has. But at the same time, I admire it just as much as I'm amazed by it. I would love to see her in a future OLTL online reunion, should there be more held after the one this coming Thursday, but somehow I don't think she'd do it even if asked (for that matter, JDP is a LOT less visible than his wife, too--I don't think he's even on Twitter anymore!). She reportedly turned down being interviewed for Jeff Giles' book on the show, after all. And so, even if I never hear of her again until her passing (which will hopefully be a LONG, LONG time from now!), I just want to acknowledge her on this milestone birthday and how big a fan I've always been of hers, and express my hope that she, her husband (fellow OLTL alum John Viscardi), and her two now grown boys are happy and healthy, wherever they may be. ❤️ 🙂 

ETA:...This aged well, didn't it? ;) Fiona appears in not one, but TWO online reunions soon: one for OLTL on May 28th, and one for GL on June 3rd! :D 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 8/7/2018 at 12:10 AM, TeeVee329 said:

FISH AND ROXY ARE REUNITING FOR A TV PILOT CAN YOU EVEN!

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/morgan-fairchild-melange-1202895032/

Two other OLTL vets are in the cast - Kristen Alderson (meh) and David Gregory (booo).

Okay so this independently produced soap pilot that four of our alums - Scott Evans (Fish), Ilene Kristen (Roxy), Kristen Alderson (Starr), and David Gregory (stupid Ford) - worked on close to two years is ago is randomly now online:

It's aiming to be "gay 'Dynasty'" and, yeah, I can see it, especially the Morgan Fairchild of it all, but you can also tell it was made on a shoestring budget.

Two things of note.  One, it BEGINS with fuckin' David Gregory voiceover, which triggered my Ford PTSD.  And two, close to the end, this happens and it made me soooo happy:

image.thumb.png.92adf35446118b80e30ba5b60e24ab3e.png

FISH AND ROXY TOGETHER AGAIN LET'S ALL PRETEND THEY'RE WAITING FOR KYLE TO JOIN THEM!

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, Sake614 said:

Just a reminder everyone..

the 2nd OLTL reunion is tomorrow afternoon.  Loved last week and can’t wait to see tomorrow! 

Happy Fiona Hutchison's First Public Appearance in 8 Years Day! :)

• Love 2

Michael Lowry (Ross Rayburn) has a small supporting role in "Always Shine", an indie thriller I watched the other day.  He plays a flirting guy who briefly contributes to the growing wedge between two friends, played by Mackenzie Davis ("Halt and Catch Fire") and Caitlin FitzGerald ("Masters of Sex").

• Love 2

Last night I watched "Their Killer Affair" on Lifetime, starring Melissa Archer (and Lauralee Bell, in a minor role). It apparently was from 2017, though Lifetime was promoting it as a "premiere" for some reason. New to them, I guess.

It was typical Lifetime fare: Melissa played a police detective investigating a serial killer who targets people from an online dating "Ashley Madison" type site, and a personal connection is soon revealed.

Nothing too spectacular but not awful. What I mostly noticed was that Melissa's character spent 99% of the movie being miserable, and was only happy at the very very end, the literal final seconds. It made me think about how Natalie usually seemed to be grim or angry or, if she was happy, it was in a subdued way. Only rarely did you see her truly, uncontrollably-smiling happy, at least in the years I was watching (I missed her first couple of years). That might seem like sexist "you should smile more" stuff, but I always found it too bad.

9 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

It made me think about how Natalie usually seemed to be grim or angry or, if she was happy, it was in a subdued way.

The John McBain Effect, if you will.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

The John McBain triangle template was so horrible, all these strong and beautiful women - Natalie, Evangeline, Blair, Marty, Kelly - having to look crestfallen when they'd come around a corner and catch him sniffing his latest victim's hair, oh I hated it.

• Love 8

Especially since he could never promise them anything. Remember the "no strings attached" thing with Evangeline? She's the one (of course) who had to make him see that maybe some sort of commitment wasn't a bad thing. UGH.

• Love 4

I'm super annoyed with L-MM mostly because he's been such a champion of inclusivity and outreach, and putting the show on Disney+ totally negates that. I wouldn't mind a run on Disney+ if there was a guaranteed later showing on over-the-air TV. But that doesn't seem to be the case, at least not at the moment. BOO.

On 6/23/2020 at 11:50 AM, dubbel zout said:

I'm super annoyed with L-MM mostly because he's been such a champion of inclusivity and outreach, and putting the show on Disney+ totally negates that. I wouldn't mind a run on Disney+ if there was a guaranteed later showing on over-the-air TV. But that doesn't seem to be the case, at least not at the moment. BOO.

Well, the film was originally scheduled for Fall 2021, so D+ getting it this year is pretty cool. But it does sound like the Hamilton producers were out to maximize their profits. I can't say as I blame them. Artists who sell all the rights to their work usually regret it. 

REG gets some quotes in this NYT article.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/25/movies/hamilton-movie-disney-streaming.html