Type keyword(s) to search

D.I. Ray - General Discussion

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, magdalene said:

Isn't this show made by the same creative that made Richard Madden's The Bodyguard ? Based on that pedigree I am going to state that sweet lover boy is a goner.

Oh no!  I like him. And he has a young son who's mother is a breast cancer survivor. Poor kid.  At least he has a gran to care for him when his mum invariable succombs also.

So did the ultrasound picture belong to Trixie, the boyfriend's sister? If so, her partner is dead also.

On 7/25/2023 at 10:04 PM, howiveaddict said:

So did the ultrasound picture belong to Trixie, the boyfriend's sister? If so, her partner is dead also.

The only ultrasound I remember belonged to the girlfriend of the truck driver.  It was in his mother's kitchen.  That's how they found him - he went to the hospital for his girlfriend's next scan.

• Like 3
On 7/25/2023 at 10:04 PM, howiveaddict said:

Oh no!  I like him. And he has a young son who's mother is a breast cancer survivor. Poor kid.  At least he has a gran to care for him when his mum invariable succombs also.

I think that restaurant scene was a one-off, meet the sister. They just gave her a cameo. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Well, there is a second season, filming now, I think.  So she's still coming back as DI Ray.  That ending really was kind of a downer.  Although there was nothing very pleasant in the entire first season.  The dancing in the pub was the closest they came to an enjoyable moment.       

• Like 7

At least the tape of Martyn was 5 - 10 years old and he wasn't cheating on Rachita with a minor.

Why did the boss (Superintendent?) kick Rachita off the team at the end of the episode? Maybe she was a token hire but she did solve the case. That was just stupid and uncalled for.

The Bhangra dancing in the pub was the best part of the show.

I hope that season 2 is better.

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Why did the boss (Superintendent?) kick Rachita off the team at the end of the episode? Maybe she was a token hire but she did solve the case. That was just stupid and uncalled for.

I kept going back to see if I missed something. I wonder if that was edited by PBS and the original British version had an explanation. If I had to guess I'd say it was because she had a relationship with Tony. She was his direct superior officer and there must be a rule against that. It would have been obvious once they looked at her doorbell video footage and say then kissing. But that's only a guess.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
7 hours ago, statsgirl said:

At least the tape of Martyn was 5 - 10 years old and he wasn't cheating on Rachita with a minor.

The Bhangra dancing in the pub was the best part of the show.

I hope that season 2 is better.

Edited by howiveaddict
because

It's unfortunate that they killed off the one character who added some much needed warmth to this compelling but rather cold and bleak drama.

I am betting Ray will come through her suspension as the show is getting a second series with more episodes than the first.

Ultimately this didn't live up to the pedigree of Bodyguard (well worth a watch if you have never seen it) but I will watch the second series.

• Like 3
19 hours ago, ShelleySue said:

I kept going back to see if I missed something. I wonder if that was edited by PBS and the original British version had an explanation. If I had to guess I'd say it was because she had a relationship with Tony. She was his direct superior officer and there must be a rule against that. It would have been obvious once they looked at her doorbell video footage and say then kissing. But that's only a guess.

I've been thinking about this and wonder if the investigation is because of her relationship with Martyn. The issue may be when she found out he was a crooked cop (ie it could have been years ago and she didn't tell anyone) or if she was involved in any "crookedness." I read a mystery novel series in which the protagonist was tainted because her late husband had been taking bribes. She didn't know about it, but a lot of people were still suspicious.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, ShelleySue said:

I've been thinking about this and wonder if the investigation is because of her relationship with Martyn. The issue may be when she found out he was a crooked cop (ie it could have been years ago and she didn't tell anyone) or if she was involved in any "crookedness." I read a mystery novel series in which the protagonist was tainted because her late husband had been taking bribes. She didn't know about it, but a lot of people were still suspicious.

That's exactly it. She kept her engagement to him secret. Of course they would suspend and investigate her.

• Like 3

Why on earth was the actual REASON for her suspension not spelled out? 'You weren't ready' wouldn't withstand a lawsuit she might bring against the department for discrimination. 

Also, maybe some reader who is a UK native can fill me in, but a quick google search suggests East Asians have been on various UK police forces for at least 50 years- why would they be putting up 'Be the Change' posters suggesting this is a new issue?

• Like 3

I think that I heard the Superintendent saying that she would have to be checked out since she was so close to Martyn and he is a dirty cop so they needed to suspend her while they investigated her.

What makes no sense to me is that they took her off the murder team when she was the one who figured it all out.

So this was it ?  I'm confused- did they ever catch the actual Big Bad (the traffickers and who was blackmailing Rachita's fiance) - or will that be season 2?

I've got to say that this was a really bleak and dreary show.  I'll probably be stuck watching season 2  as my other half loves these PBS airing British crime shows.  I stopped watching Chicago PD and that cop show that featured J Lo and Ray Liotta because they were too bleak and depressing - I'm beginning to think that those shows were almost  light and cheery compared to these British crime shows.   More Father Brown and less of this - please! 

On 8/1/2023 at 5:20 PM, 12catcrazy said:

So this was it ?  I'm confused- did they ever catch the actual Big Bad (the traffickers and who was blackmailing Rachita's fiance) - or will that be season 2?

I've got to say that this was a really bleak and dreary show.  I'll probably be stuck watching season 2  as my other half loves these PBS airing British crime shows.  I stopped watching Chicago PD and that cop show that featured J Lo and Ray Liotta because they were too bleak and depressing - I'm beginning to think that those shows were almost  light and cheery compared to these British crime shows.   More Father Brown and less of this - please! 

I prefer a mix of both.  I just wish this one had been more compelling.  I appreciated the main character, even if she wasn't particularly sympathetic, but the mystery was both too convoluted and wrapped up too easily, if that makes any sense.

I'd vote for less Father Brown since I don't care for that show, but I also believe there should be variety in the British mysteries PBS shows, so having some of each type works.

My Baltimore PBS station (MPT) guide for June is indicating they will be showing Season 2 starting Sunday June 16 at 10pm ET

• Like 1
  • Useful 1