Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Look Through Your Book

• Start Topic

Mark heads out on a date in the desert, but worries he's at a different stage of life than Soukaina; Stanika's awkward date continues, and the language barrier causes issues; Susan goes out with a handsome musician. 

I've been sort of half heartily watching these as I fall asleep but I'm annoyed by everyone. You'd think the matchmakers would vet these "dates" as possible marriage partners but no, these are, at best, just possible hook ups. So stupid. I'm out.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Almost 3000 said:

I've been sort of half heartily watching these as I fall asleep but I'm annoyed by everyone. You'd think the matchmakers would vet these "dates" as possible marriage partners but no, these are, at best, just possible hook ups. So stupid. I'm out.

This is absolutely the case for Stanika's date, Salah, who seems like he needs to be committed.  But Mark is pissing me off much more than Soukaina.  She seems very sweet and is even willing to work after marriage.  She's much younger than him, but I would imagine the average age at marriage is much younger in Morocco than the US.  He's upset because she doesn't have the same life experiences as him, but why on earth would you leave the US to date overseas if you are looking for a wife with the same life experiences as you?  

• Like 3
  • Applause 5

As much as I dislike Mark, I agree w/his assessment of his date not having enough life experience to be a match, even though she ticked off all the other boxes. I think he meant in terms of just living life and all the ups and downs that go with that----broken hearts, traveling, etc. She gave a great explanation as to why she hasn't traveled----that just isn't something a decent Moroccan girl does on her own or in a group of female friends. 

Susan, again I think her matchmaker is being a bit judgmental and harsh about her. I agree w/her impression of both dates. Can't he find her an OLDER guy with the requirements she is looking for? Or near her age? Maybe a long time divorced man still attractive, successful and looking for the chance to go to the US. Medellin and Bogota are cosmopolitan cities, surely they have bankers too. I am 44 and I too would be very annoyed by his little dance and "here hold my go pro and film me" moment. Alos, I thought he was kind of fugly. lol 

I liked how Stanika just put her cards on the table and said yeah this isnt' working let's not waste our time. I find her claim she has NEVER been on a date suspect. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

I think the amateur psychologist Juan, I mean, matchmaker Juan, is perfect for Susan. I believe that she needs to experience what it is like to not feel in control and I think Juan is doing a good job of breaking through her walls.  It's not about the guys, it's about Susan. She will find something about every guy that is a dealbreaker.

I like "Stanika?." Quotes because I always read it and say Stankita. She is authentic and fun loving. I hope she doesn't put all her eggs in one basket.  She needs to question if first guy holds traditional Muslim values.  Peel those layers back now.

Harold. What can I say. Autism or not, he is still a man. And wants tall, blonde, beautiful. Sigh.

Mark, go home Ugly American. He just wanted a free trip and free love. Lol.

The pretty Sri Lankan girl (sorry can't recall her name), is way out of her league. I'm not sure that Juan can get her to realize that she is an adult and her mother is not in charge. A lifetime of culture and conditioning there.

Sorry this is so long. 

• Like 4
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 6/11/2023 at 10:46 PM, Almost 3000 said:

The matchmakers are def more annoying than the daters for me, especially the guy in Columbia.  He keeps blaming Susan yet even she says he isn’t listening to her, and she is totally correct.  And why does he try to hang out with the Sri Lankan girl, he took her to dance class, now playing pool with her?  Just seems odd and creepy to me.  And he thinks he knows Susan but obviously doesn’t respect or meet any of her expectations for the type of guy that would suit her, he just thinks he can change her.  Why?  She needs to fire him, they both do imo.

Edited by endure
  • Like 3
On 6/12/2023 at 1:23 AM, kitkat343 said:

This is absolutely the case for Stanika's date, Salah, who seems like he needs to be committed.  But Mark is pissing me off much more than Soukaina.  She seems very sweet and is even willing to work after marriage.  She's much younger than him, but I would imagine the average age at marriage is much younger in Morocco than the US.  He's upset because she doesn't have the same life experiences as him, but why on earth would you leave the US to date overseas if you are looking for a wife with the same life experiences as you?  

He surprised me and I actually was amazed that he realized the age difference was or could be problematic, especially when he initially seemed so unaware and ignorant of the culture. Will be interesting to see if they go on another date.  She was very pretty and seemed open and accepting to dating a guy 20 years older.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, endure said:

She was very pretty and seemed open and accepting to dating a guy 20 years older.

She is looking for a ticket out of Dodge to anywhere, USA or anywhere, Western Europe, lol

2 hours ago, endure said:

And why does he try hang out with the Sri Lankan girl, he took her to dance class, now playing pool with her?  Just seems odd and creepy to me.

He mentioned he has a 27 year old daughter, so older than her---I think he sees her as a daughter type figure and realizes that socially she is very stunted and spends time trying to draw out what she really wants/needs. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Stuckathome said:

She is looking for a ticket out of Dodge to anywhere, USA or anywhere, Western Europe, lol

He mentioned he has a 27 year old daughter, so older than her---I think he sees her as a daughter type figure and realizes that socially she is very stunted and spends time trying to draw out what she really wants/needs. 

More likely it just buys him more TV time.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Mark bugs me. I feel like he’s acting about his date being young, but secretly inside wants a young 20s girl. 
I see this SO often among men my age and it’s so blatantly obvious to me.  Plus Mark’s pretending he doesn’t know PDA laws there.  Ugh. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
6 hours ago, Meowwww said:

Mark bugs me. I feel like he’s acting about his date being young, but secretly inside wants a young 20s girl. 
I see this SO often among men my age and it’s so blatantly obvious to me.  Plus Mark’s pretending he doesn’t know PDA laws there.  Ugh. 

Agree.  If he gets matched with someone older, he will complain about something being wrong with her since she wasn’t married.  Or she might have her own opinions.  

• Applause 1
On 6/15/2023 at 8:02 PM, Morgalisa said:

I think the amateur psychologist Juan, I mean, matchmaker Juan, is perfect for Susan. I believe that she needs to experience what it is like to not feel in control and I think Juan is doing a good job of breaking through her walls.  It's not about the guys, it's about Susan. She will find something about every guy that is a dealbreaker.

I like "Stanika?." Quotes because I always read it and say Stankita. She is authentic and fun loving. I hope she doesn't put all her eggs in one basket.  She needs to question if first guy holds traditional Muslim values.  Peel those layers back now.

Harold. What can I say. Autism or not, he is still a man. And wants tall, blonde, beautiful. Sigh.

Mark, go home Ugly American. He just wanted a free trip and free love. Lol.

The pretty Sri Lankan girl (sorry can't recall her name), is way out of her league. I'm not sure that Juan can get her to realize that she is an adult and her mother is not in charge. A lifetime of culture and conditioning there.

Sorry this is so long. 

Agree 100% with what you said about Susan. Susan is the reason she can't find anyone. She's looking for a guy who has all the qualities on her extensive list of "Must Haves" and none of the qualities, habits, or quirks she doesn't like. She wants perfect. There's no such thing. Nobody is perfect; not even her.

Insofar as Stanika asking her dates if they have "traditional Muslim values" - she'd have to know what those are to ask about them. I can assure you she does not. She knows nothing about Islam, nothing about Morocco, and nothing about Moroccan culture.

Harold can like tall, blonde, and beautiful women. There are women who are on the spectrum that are tall, blonde, and beautiful, too!

Mark is a jerk. He knows as much about Islam, Morocco, and Moroccan culture as Stanika. He decided to go fishing in Morocco for the same reason other American men go hunting for brides in Arab countries: most Arab countries are culturally patriarchal, and so they think they'll get a wife who will let them make all the decisions, do what they say without argument, and be happy to stay home and cook and clean and raise their children. Oh yeah - and will have sex whenever they want it!

• Like 1

I'm over Susan and her dog.  I'm a dog lover, but taking my dog anywhere  is such a chore.  It's like having a 2 year old with you at all times.  How can she concentrate on anything when having to care for this dog?  It's stupid.  Susan.  Not the dog. 

• Like 4
50 minutes ago, Shauna said:

I'm over Susan and her dog.  I'm a dog lover, but taking my dog anywhere  is such a chore.  It's like having a 2 year old with you at all times.  How can she concentrate on anything when having to care for this dog?  It's stupid.  Susan.  Not the dog. 

I think she’s great, the dog doesn’t appear to be an issue.  I’m over the matchmaker for sure….. he’s out of line.

53 minutes ago, Shauna said:

something to make her seem interesting or different, because otherwise she's just an unhappy unmarried woman

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, cinsays said:

something to make her seem interesting or different, because otherwise she's just an unhappy unmarried woman

I guess we are all interpreting different things here, i see Susan as basically a happy independent single woman who would like to be in a ‘good relationship’ but isn’t willing to settle for just anyone.  

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

OMG….. so the greeter at the airport is the actual date for Chad, seems awkward and uncomfortable, but he is THAT, and so out of his element.  Seems I’m quickly losing faith in this show 🙄

• Like 1