Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E16: Furball

• Start Topic

Michaela and Jared make the most of their arrangement. Angelina receives support from Eagan. Panic grips the detainees amid devastation at the facility.

Premiere Date: June 2, 2023     Netflix   

Oh no !! Jared and Michaela hook up.

And we get a date confirmation -- the pilot, Bill Daly, died on Sept. 9, 2023.  That would put the date of this episode at Sept. 3-4, 2023.  Approx. 9 months from the June 2, 2024 death date.

Another tremor occurs and a volcanic fissure opens up below the detention center right below the stretcher with the pilot's body, and the stretcher and 2 guards fall into the magma.  Timing was perfect for this fissure.

Zimmer invokes isolation protocol -- all the 828ers in the detention center are rounded up and all the security guards and staff depart, leaving the 828ers on their own with an active volcanic fissure inside the detention center.

The head guard decides he is going to make the 828ers pay for the deaths of his guards from the locusts (not sure anyone died from those), the boils, and the volcanic fissure. But Eden talks him down.

Cal/Gabriel still gets callings -- Cal/Gabriel and Vance rescue Michaela from a 828 hater who was planning to poison the 828ers at the detention center.

Ben turns into a community organizer after giving a rallying speech and starts coordinating the 828ers -- so they can make it for 9 more months to the death date.  I don't understand why the government couldn't keep providing them with new supplies.

Cal's new power this episode -- he gets all the callings.

I have no idea why this episode is called 'Furball'.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

When Cal found he could intercept other passengers' callings a few episodes previously, I thought they should just have him get all the callings and have Michaela solve them all, for efficiency's sake. Now it's coming true!

I wonder whether the passengers could tunnel out of the DC?

• Like 2
(edited)

"Nine months" until the "death date" was spoken at least 3 times. 
What do we know takes 9 months? Oh. Right. A pregnancy.
And who just hooked up? Michaela and Jared.
Have I told all y'all how much I hate Rapidly Aging Star Child Syndrome?

On 6/4/2023 at 9:36 AM, ottoDbusdriver said:

I have no idea why this episode is called 'Furball'.

Typo? 
Maybe it was supposed to be "Fire Ball"?
Ooo. How about "Fire Fall"? And someone responsible for the final edit of the episode title is a bit mischievous? 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 3
  • LOL 3
(edited)
On 6/4/2023 at 8:36 AM, ottoDbusdriver said:

I have no idea why this episode is called 'Furball

Every episode title is some  aviation term. According to the internet, furball refers to an aerial battle with many combatants.

I’m not a fan of the Michaela and Jarod plot.  Mostly because he didn’t have the decency to divorce his wife ( Michaela’s best friend ) before he slept with Michaela after the flight returned.  It wasn’t an act of uncontrollable passion for him.  It had been 5 years for him and he had moved on.   I give Michaela a little more forgiveness because it hadn’t been any time for her.   She still felt as if Jerod was her almost fiancée. It wasn’t right on her part  either though. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Like 3
  • Useful 3
On 6/5/2023 at 12:37 PM, catsitter said:

I wonder whether the passengers could tunnel out of the DC?

Well there is an active volcano no less than what seemed to be two feet underground, so I’m thinking no. It’s very implausible that something like that would go undiscovered until now but I’ve hand-waved bigger eye roll inducing issues on this show.

• Like 1
(edited)

Can't believe I'm past halfway through this half-season.  4 episodes left, and they still scraped another new variation of following Callings from the bottom of the barrel, this time with Cal getting all of them.

Why would Cal be getting EVERYONE's callings at once, when the previous schedule was one passenger getting a Calling once a week conveniently whenever an episode airs?

Mick and Jared are already sleeping together?  Talk about non-slow burn.  They killed Zeke off for this?  Why pair Michaela and Zeke together at all?

Who knew taking care of a stroke patient was so easy and relaxing.  Did they bring all his meds too?  

Not sure which was more unrealistic... the opening fissure or Eden's amazing crisis management skills.

Vance was running out of the facility like it was about to lock at any moment, and meanwhile, Redbeard thinks he can still get out?  Someone just push him into the fissure, please.

You'd think they would have enacted "isolation policy" after the plague of locusts and boils.  

Finally, we get to see CJ and Olive with a scene together again.  Hopefully, he won't disappear again with just 4 episodes left.

The Callings are starting to give easy clues.  Just the logo of a company, straight up?   Vance and Cal's dialogue were a tad cringey.

Meanwhile, Eagan believes in Angelina now, eh?  Too bad the fugitive passengers were so easy for Angelina to win over.  The whole Blue Hand trick does it.

At this point, how is following the Callings supposed to save the world or halt the death date or whatever?  The Callings just solves problems in the last possible moment, sometimes problems caused by the Callings themselves.  

Speaking of the episode title, this whole series is like a furball.  Just when you thought it was cancelled, it's back in your throat again.

Edited by Camera One
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, QuantumMechanic said:

I have realized the show is great at making you think something happened during the episode but then once it ends and you reflect on it even a little bit you realize that almost nothing has happened and you’ve learned nothing.

Really, someone could jump in at any point in this half-season so far, and not miss anything.  They're still in the detention center.  The death date is still happening.   The solved Callings just wrap up a temporary problem which can be forgotten by the next episode.  Angelina is still evil, crazy and at large.  Captain Daly and Fiona came back, but neither said a word, so their return was a moot point.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
On 6/18/2023 at 11:39 PM, Camera One said:

Who knew taking care of a stroke patient was so easy and relaxing.  Did they bring all his meds too?  

Well, it looks like Mick managed to bring all her makeup and hair care supplies, so bringing the meds should have been no problem. 

I don't know why I even ask questions about this increasingly ridiculous plot, but where are Jared, Mick, and her father staying? I think they said it was Tarik's place and referred to something bad happening there that was blamed on the 828ers, but I don't remember who Tarik was and what happened there. Also, where is it located geographically, and how did Cal and Vance just happen to go by there (luckily when Mick was being attacked by the 828 hater) when they were tracking a van that was supposedly heading to the DC, which I assume is supposed to be in NYC (not sure which borough). 

On 6/18/2023 at 11:39 PM, Camera One said:

Mick and Jared are already sleeping together?  Talk about non-slow burn.  They killed Zeke off for this?  Why pair Michaela and Zeke together at all?

I guess we're supposed to assume that it's OK for them to sleep together now because Zeke told her she needs to move forward (or something like that) and then faded away. And maybe the whole Zeke-Mick arc was supposed to show Jared how Mick felt when the passengers first came back and he was married to her best friend, while Mick felt like no time had gone by. Now they are sort of on the same emotional timeline, or something. But I really never bought into the whole Zeke-Mick love story anyway. He always felt more like a plot device than a real character--the devoted and compassionate man who could heal Mick and help her deal with the crazy situation. 

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Paloma said:

I don't know why I even ask questions about this increasingly ridiculous plot, but where are Jared, Mick, and her father staying? I think they said it was Tarik's place and referred to something bad happening there that was blamed on the 828ers, but I don't remember who Tarik was and what happened there.

I think Tarik was Grace's half brother, and he was killed there when people attacked (don't remember who).

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

So Mick is supposed to be hiding out, is extremely recognizable (she had a full-page picture published in at least one magazine, not to mention all the news coverage, for crying out loud), learns that at least one neighbor is hostile to 828ers, and decides to go for a run in broad daylight? These people are so dumb that Im starting to root for the death date. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3