Type keyword(s) to search

Utopia (US) Live Feed Discussion

Why is Hex having such a break down?    The guy isn't dying.

yeah.  Rob wanted to leave.  then wanted to stay.  flip.  flop.

a day or two earlier hadn't he said he might leave even if Aaron was voted off?

so they voted for him to leave.

minor goodbye tears make sense, but she was torn up. 

his last minute "I want to stay" words could have been a purely political move, so that if Aaron was voted off and Rob stays, he would not be seen as the guy who does not want to be there.

Edited by clod
  • Love 2

The only reason I'm waiting around tonight is to see the look on Aaron's face when he's voted off.  

you didn't get that, but you got to see Rob's surprised response.

• Love 1

Bri's not done yet, Pastor Jon twittered last night:

Big Jon Lovelace @ BigJonLovelace

I got a call from Bri today!! We had a great talk! She wants to come to Tennessee! Help me pray for Gods will in her life!!
8:12 PM - 27 Oct 2014

After that she went to the Utopia chat room and talked about how she had second thoughts after she left, but now has decided to join Pastor Jon instead.  Stay tuned for updates.

• Love 5

Sleazy--Chris

Angry--Aaron

Dummy--Taylor

Creepy--Cal

Shorty--Rob

Douchey--Josh

Extra Sleazy--Mike

I think Aaron's name should be Shady.  Would rethink Taylor's - he admits being special ed all through school so that title hits a tender spot for me.  And as douchey as he can be, he does work pretty hard and he was the one in the cow costume doing the dance with Amanda.  That alone defrosted my icy frosty heart 1 degree.

So Dave is out with Pastor Jon in Tennessee already and now Bri is supposed to go?  That's how you build a cult following Cal!

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 5

I heard that Cal's latest conversation with Nikki included such lovely things as multiple reminders how Cal is perfect in every way, and that he finds it exhausting to teach her how to communicate properly.  I have no idea where she gets the patience to put up with that crap.  I'd have been booted for physical violence against him after that comment.  

I had the (dis)pleasure of listening to this one. He said that he was perfect at gardening, perfect at the kitchen, perfect at everything. He was the only reason that the kitchen was doing better. "Well, you helped some, but I did it."

Nikki told him that even if his ideas for Utopia were good, his approach was abrasive and driving people away. Cal said that he needed to make "power moves" because they are on a limited timeline. If they had all the time in the world, he would approach people kindly and with suggestions and slowly ease them into making proper contributions, but there was no time for that sort of thing in Utopia.

He also was apparently annoyed at Nikki because he thought she had spilled the Neo-Nazi beans about him. I don't know the details, but it sounds like Mike had been yelling something about it one night and Cal said that he hadn't told anyone but Nikki about that. Nikki denied telling anyone.

In talking about Amanda, Cal said that she hates the world, while he loves the world. )This is maybe where their animosity comes from, their opposing viewpoints? I admit I was tuning in and out at this point, so I missed exactly why he was saying that.) He also said something about how Amanda was not doing what was best for her baby - being in Utopia wasn't good for it, but she was doing it anyway because .... (missed this part). I think it was related to what came next, which was him saying that he understood it, that she was misguided because she was religious. He said, "when I was religious, I would have burned my baby if I thought that was what I was supposed to do."

I'll just leave that there.

• Love 4

I don't understand how production has such a stranglehold over the Utopians about the cows.

What would happen if they just said "Production, we're no longer caring for those cows.  We're not milking them, cleaning up after them, or spending any of our money on their food.  This is our home, our decisions, and since you won't let us sell the cows, we're abandoning them.   They're your responsibility now, do something or they'll suffer and die."

What would production do?   Could the show's contract with the Utopians actually say "You have to care for the cows"?

I don't understand why they insist they have cows and chickens to care for, they clearly don't need them if you're going to let the Utopians sell to the outside world.

• Love 1

I don't understand how production has such a stranglehold over the Utopians about the cows.

1. They want to maintain the false rustic image.

2. People like animals, so that helps ratings.

3. It's another source of conflict and drama.

• Love 5

Considering it is the Topes who are supposed to be building and structuring their own world, seems like they should have the choice in the matter.  For the record, I am on the Mootopians side.

• Love 3
I don't understand why they insist they have cows and chickens to care for, they clearly don't need them if you're going to let the Utopians sell to the outside world.

I think that if the topes don't want to care for the animals, Production should take the animals away immediately, but not provide any money to the topes in exchange for them.  Eventually, when the topes' family members get tired of buying their arts and crafts online and the money dries up, the topes are going to miss the source of eggs, milk, cheese, etc.  And when that happens, Production should laugh in their faces and refuse to give them the animals back.  

• Love 5

The only reason I'm waiting around tonight is to see the look on Aaron's face when he's voted off. 

you didn't get that, but you got to see Rob's surprised response.

Yeah, well with this show, I take what little joy I can get.  

• Love 1

I think that if the topes don't want to care for the animals, Production should take the animals away immediately, but not provide any money to the topes in exchange for them.

I understand that sentiment, but, as a resource that was there when they began the project, I wouldn't have a problem with them selling them.

I feel so down and very very bitter.  I wanted Aaron gone, but figured there was a good chance that they would go with Rob so he gets out with his stipend (despite being a decision that they knew would inflict more Aaron pain on them for at least 2 weeks - bunch of sadomasochists).  Regardless of which of those two Dopes left, my spirits were buoyed by the thought of Cal walking out of the gates.  But Rob is gone and Cal remains.  Oy vey.

Even if there was some chatter about how he will leave on Wednesday, I refuse to believe it now.  JK et al can only crush my spirit so many times before I stop believing.  What if the newbie Dopes are worse?  My mind will melt.

They need the equivelant of the Professor (Gilligan's Island) to come up with a Dope-B-Gone spray to get rid of the pestilence that is Cal.

• Love 4

I feel so down and very very bitter.  I wanted Aaron gone, but figured there was a good chance that they would go with Rob so he gets out with his stipend (despite being a decision that they knew would inflict more Aaron pain on them for at least 2 weeks - bunch of sadomasochists).  Regardless of which of those two Dopes left, my spirits were buoyed by the thought of Cal walking out of the gates.  But Rob is gone and Cal remains.  Oy vey.

Even if there was some chatter about how he will leave on Wednesday, I refuse to believe it now.  JK et al can only crush my spirit so many times before I stop believing.  What if the newbie Dopes are worse?  My mind will melt.

They need the equivelant of the Professor (Gilligan's Island) to come up with a Dope-B-Gone spray to get rid of the pestilence that is Cal.

There is a piece of leaked audio on another site that has Cal talking with Production after the vote yesterday. He goes in and tells them he wants to leave since this isn't what he thought it would be and they aren't working together and blah blah blah. Production basically ask him not to decide anything yet and then says that Production is part of their team and they were going to send people in to replant and that they want this to be a fresh start of sorts. They also tell him to quit making ultimatums to leave and that he owes it to them to put in some effort to be there.

So this pretty much goes totally against what the whole premise of this show was supposed to be - or at least how they made it appear to us when they first starting showing ads for it before an episode had ever aired. Production is part of their "team" so they are going to continue to give these guys way too much help and no one is going to work on creating any kind of real community or society and they will all continue to be selfish and go in 15 different directions. I'm curious to see who the replacements are, but I have no faith in Production and wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with 2.0 versions of some of those that have already left or people that might be even worse.

Edited by Rapunzel
  • Love 6

I swear they are going to start paperwork to have Utopia registered as a half-way house or transitional living for the worst of the worst recently paroled criminals.  People deemed too unfit to live amongst the general population.

• Love 9

I'm starting to think this whole "experiment" is actually on the viewers, not the participants of Udopia.  

Here are some words I hope I never hear again after this show is canceled:  the "f" word, literally, like, paintings and organic.  Oh, and "rightrightright" to be said as 1 word.

Edited by 4leafclover
  • Love 6
They also tell him to quit making ultimatums to leave and that he owes it to them to put in some effort to be there.

On the one hand, I approve of Production scolding these people for the ultimatum game-playing.  On the other hand, I wish they'd have just let him walk.   They've shed three blights on the compound already this week, so why not go for four?  

• Love 6

I'm starting to think this whole "experiment" is actually on the viewers, not the participants of Udopia. 

There is value in seeing how the public reacts to live feeds, how many watch on a youtube channel, how many join and vote, how many pay for better access, which video clips are most popular, how social networking is used to organize fans and foes,   which pioneers are most popular, etc.

but it may not be $50 million dollars worth of value.

They also tell him to quit making ultimatums to leave and that he owes it to them to put in some effort to be there.

so, he will stay.

I'm sure a fresh coat of paint and some throw pillows will cure all the problems with this train wreck of a show.

it might help if they fixed that place up so it looked like they were living there.    beds, anyone?   how about a second (smaller) table and chairs.  closets.   a couch.    indoor shower.   hot water.

it just occurred to me about chairs.   do they have any chairs in the peoplebarn?   are they still sitting on crates when they eat?   their sitting options are either on the floor, or on a crate at the big table?   maybe I missed an upgrade.....

not fixing it up = not planning on being there for a year.

somewhere I read that when Rob left last night, production asked him why they had not fixed up the inside of the (peoplebarn).

Edited by clod
  • Love 3

I swear they are going to start paperwork to have Utopia registered as a half-way house or transitional living for the worst of the worst recently paroled criminals.  People deemed too unfit to live amongst the general population.

Are you a neo-Nazi? Worried about the Aliens who are about to invade? Has the imminent apocalypse got you down? Prison escapee on the lam? Maybe you're just looking for some gullible victims to join your cult?

Then come on down to sunny Utopia, California! Where there's no such thing as "too crazy."

Edited by In Pog Form
  • Love 13

So that leaked audio has been removed due to copyright issues...

Well, the site probably got a DMCA takedown notice. Unfortunately, Fox is in a position of power here, and can intimidate sites into taking such things down to avoid legal battles.

I'm not a big-city lawyer like Mike, but I would think that in this case, it would be legal for them to keep the leaked audio up. I think it amounts to a news source that's in the public interest. Of course, I understand why they would cave to pressure - but they should send it to one of the journalists covering Utopia. A news site with an actual legal team would be able to publish it and stand up to Fox.

Edited by In Pog Form
  • Love 1

I'll give production a chance with the replacements.

Jon Kroll did invite a vlogger, SpaceChief75, to be a replacement, but SpaceChief75 declined because he didn't want to miss "The Walking Dead," and also because security would've kicked him out within the first 5 minutes for knocking out Mike's teeth.

I'm not big on physical violence, but I would make an exception here with replacements who would knock out Aaron and the other bullies. They would've earned "Utopia Biggest Contributor for life" from me for doing that.

• Love 6

they just had a meeting where "a letter" was read that informed them that Josh was voted as top contributor, and that his reward would be delivered later today.   they don't know what the reward is.

they all applauded and congratulated him.   refreshingly positive.

then, the funniest utopia moment I have seen.

Hex announces that she just caught "the fly" under her hand.  asks what to do now?

Chris reaches over and mashes her hand down on the table!    hahaha.  whole room finds that funny, as did I.

Edited by clod
  • Love 5

Are you a neo-Nazi?

I was young!  It was the early 80s!  All the cool kids were becoming skinheads!

Oh, that was probably rhetorical and not specifically addressed to me....never mind (Emily Litella voice).

• Love 5

They really shouldn't have painted the big table before supper -- just saying, they should have painted after supper and let it dry over night. I guess the prison lineup cafeteria food will have to be eaten on the front steps of the people barn.

• Love 3

Well, the site probably got a DMCA takedown notice. Unfortunately, Fox is in a position of power here, and can intimidate sites into taking such things down to avoid legal battles.

I'm not a big-city lawyer like Mike, but I would think that in this case, it would be legal for them to keep the leaked audio up. I think it amounts to a news source that's in the public interest. Of course, I understand why they would cave to pressure - but they should send it to one of the journalists covering Utopia. A news site with an actual legal team would be able to publish it and stand up to Fox.

It just kills me that they were so quick to get that video taken down, when by "leaked" all that happened was someone forgot to shut off Cal's mike while he was in the chicken coop/production area. It aired over the live feeds yet they haven't taken any other live feed videos down from YouTube. They want to keep trying to portray this act of little to no production interference and I just think this is ridiculous since it makes them look worse to take it down. We all know it's out there. They also got it down within 26 minutes of the article hitting Utopia madness which tells me they pay attention to what those of us on forums are saying about the show.

• Love 4

Josh received the bed for his prize--it was delivered and it was enormous!  Huge headboard, frame, mattress, box springs, bedding, pillows, etc.   Everyone gathered around the bed and oohed and ahhed, then Josh asked the delivery person if he could return it for smaller mattresses for everyone else.  The guy said it could probably be done and he took the bed away.  Now Josh is being thanked by all the Udopians for being such a good guy.  Dedeker said now she can give Josh back scratches without Mike getting mad (to which everyone was so surprised) and of course Aaron said the headboard on his California king size bed at home cost $1300.  

Edited by 4leafclover
  • Love 4
Josh received the bed for his prize--it was delivered and it was enormous!  Huge headboard, frame, mattress, box springs, bedding, pillows, etc.   Everyone gathered around the bed and oohed and ahhed, then Josh asked the delivery person if he could return it for smaller mattresses for everyone else.  The guy said it could probably be done and he took the bed away.  Now Josh is being thanked by all the Udopians for being such a good guy.

This had to be a pre-determined production shenanigan to get all the Topes beds under the guise of Josh being the good guy.  By getting them all beds, it will reduce the amount of petty jealousy over Josh being voted MVP.  Give me a break.

ETA: On the live feed updates, the best analogy for how stupid this is if Josh had gotten the table saw -- would he have returned it for 15 smaller saws so everyone got one. </snark>

ETA2:  I forgot to go all Oprah on this outcome -- you get a bed, you get a bed and you get a bed.  Everyone gets a bed.

Why did they paint the tables and benches what looks like calf-shit yellow ?

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 9

This had to be a pre-determined production shenanigan to get all the Topes beds under the guise of Josh being the good guy.  By getting them all beds, it will reduce the amount of petty jealousy over Josh being voted MVP.  Give me a break.

Mommy, make it stop. The bad people are winning.

• Love 6

Quote: of course Aaron said the headboard on his California King sized bed at home cost $1300

1. Aaron STFU

2. See above

Could Production be more transparent? Choices for Josh's reward:

1. Clambake which all will enjoy;

2. Tablesaw so he can work more efficiently for all to enjoy; or

3. Bed which can magically be exchanged for 14? 15? smaller beds for all to enjoy.

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 6

I have to agree--everything I read indicated America had voted for the table saw.  And the bed arrived on the back of a flatbed truck, all put together and decked out in expensive looking sheets and pillows and a comforter--who or what delivers furniture like that???   

Haha---loved the comment about turning in the table saw for 15 little saws and the "you get a bed and you get a bed" gave me a good chuckle!  Thanks for that!

1. Aaron STFU
2. See above

Bwahahahahaha!

Edited by 4leafclover
  • Love 4

They also got it down within 26 minutes of the article hitting Utopia madness which tells me they pay attention to what those of us on forums are saying about the show.

Of course they do. It's like doing a stand-up comedy routine at a club where there are only three people in the audience. You're going to be painfully aware of what those three people are doing.

• Love 7

Well, the site probably got a DMCA takedown notice.

I think "fair use" might apply, since it showed how production was influencing the reality show, and it was a legitimate broadcast (not stolen).

it would be nice if it was put back up,......  on non-usa servers owned by a foreign company.

DMCA is a U.S. law.

Edited by clod
From what I could hear, it sounds like Cal isn't leaving tomorrow after all.  Is that what you think too?

From the live feed updates this evening, Cal has been telling Nikki that since the group did not come up with a mission statement to his satisfaction that he has to leave tomorrow since he's a man of his word.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 6

From the live feed updates this evening, Cal has been telling Nikki that since the group did not come up with a mission statement to his satsifaction that he has to leave tomorrow since he's a man of his word.

WooHoo!  Thanks for the update--didn't hear that!  Or should I say, "thanks huunnnyyy!"  lol

Edited by 4leafclover
  • Love 2

And the mattresses have arrived -- boy, that was a quick turnaround, almost like they had them sitting around nearby ready-to-go in case Josh decided to be generous with his actual award.  I wish they had to take the awards selected by the viewers AS IS, because the viewers didn't opt for "beds for all".

ETA: If Cal gets a mattress, he is going to seriously funk up that mattress for the next person to get it (since he's leaving tomorrow).

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 6

So, just hours after sending back the super-bed, they've received their 15 mattresses, pillows and sheets.  I guess they'll save their old cotton for the newbies tomorrow?

My only consolation in this whole bed thing is that Rob, Bri and Mike didn't get one!

• Love 5

From the live feed updates this evening, Cal has been telling Nikki that since the group did not come up with a mission statement to his satsifaction that he has to leave tomorrow since he's a man of his word.

How noble. What a stand-up guy!

(excuse me, I need to recharge my mental conditioning bracelet)

• Love 2

Here's a link to the Cal/Production convo on DailyMotion.  Better watch it before it gets a take-down notice (warning, there's all sorts of NSFW stuff on DailyMotion):

thanks!   I downloaded it.   interesting.

I found myself pretending it was the two cows having that conversation.   :)

why the British accent on one cow?   because it was a true Jersey cow.

the other one had become Americanized.

Edited by clod
  • Love 2

I think the cows and chickens are there to keep the Utopians busy.  Otherwise, what would they be doing all day.

Josh received the bed for his prize--it was delivered and it was enormous!  Huge headboard, frame, mattress, box springs, bedding, pillows, etc.   Everyone gathered around the bed and oohed and ahhed, then Josh asked the delivery person if he could return it for smaller mattresses for everyone else.  The guy said it could probably be done and he took the bed away.  Now Josh is being thanked by all the Udopians for being such a good guy.  Dedeker said now she can give Josh back scratches without Mike getting mad (to which everyone was so surprised) and of course Aaron said the headboard on his California king size bed at home cost $1300.  

That shouldn't be allowed. If a Utopian wins a prize, he should have to accept it, give it away, ignore it, but not send it back for something he really wants instead.

• Love 2

That shouldn't be allowed.

It wasn't "allowed" - it was what Production wanted him to do. They made a big show of delivering a huge fancy bed - pre-assembled, mind you. This was designed to alienate Josh if he accepted it. But of course, Production had 15 smaller, simpler beds conveniently on hand in case Josh refused the big bed.

I think we all know that if the big bed was accepted, Josh would never get to sleep in it anyway. It would just become the "fuck bed" for everybody else.

• Love 6