Type keyword(s) to search

Utopia (US) Live Feed Discussion

And earlier she was babbling about the cow having been "raped" and then having her baby ripped away from her and who knows what else along those lines. And yet she doesn't even want to make googly eyes at that adorable little calf.

Production: "We need somebody to throw some shade on this 'animal rights' stuff. Hey missy with the big tits, do you think you could talk a bunch about how you love animals?"

• Love 3

On another note, Hex is absolutely beautiful this morning. She is just glowing.

Ruh-roh. When did Taylor show up?

Edit:

BWHAHAHAHAHAHA! Katie, making her plea to be selected. "Everyone knows by now that I'm not a talker."

Edit 2:

Also, the narrator hates them. From his Twitter:

Dan Piraro @pirarobizarro · Oct 3

I think next month's #Utopia replacement process should involve releasing a mountain lion into the compound at dawn.

Edited by areca
  • Love 13

In Pog Form: well, exactly. So they make her look as ridiculous as possible (the cow was raped? She's from Sacramento, there are plenty of cows/dairies around there) and then she proves that she cares not at all 30 seconds later.

• Love 1

what's the excuse for this emergency vote?

Imminent cancellation?

ETA:

I don't think there has been any elimination vote that has been on-schedule, has there? They've all been "emergency" votes of some kind or another, right?

Edited by In Pog Form
  • Love 2

Apparently Katie had a minor breakdown earlier today when she was in the bathroom and the cameras were rolling--I didn't see this, but read it on the chats.  Rob called for an emergency vote (maybe production prompted?) and everyone gathered.  Cal first--short and succinct speech about wanting to bring harmony and a blending of technology with ancestral skills to Utopia.  Then he said thank you and left.  Katie next--long and convoluted speech about her disappointment with Utopia, their tendency to "take naps in the grass and make businesses equal to that of any housewife in suburbia."   She went on to object to the others listening to people on the outside with a college degree who thinks its best to interfere with nature.  Then she went off into a tearful rendition of why the cows are so unhappy--that all of Betsy's calves have been "stolen" from her, cows are people too!!!! (not really, I added that part).  This went on and on, talking about when she and her daughter "broke into" a dairy farm at night to take pictures of how the cows and calves were being treated, to the point where Rob started drumming his fingers on the table and finally interrupted saying, "do you want to tell us why you want to be here or do you want to lecture us?  And I'm glad that you broke the law and trespassed."  To this, Katie ran out of the room and Amanda followed her.  The women in the group shot Rob down for not letting Katie finish but most of the guys agreed with him.  Rob agreed to go outside and apologize to Katie and invite her to finish.  Rob and Katie had a nice heart to heart talk on the porch, he told her that she had a good chance of staying until recently and she said the cameras and the constant hunger are driving her crazy and she really wants to go home.  After a few more minutes of consoling, she agreed to return and finish her speech which consisted of her saying that basically if they want a leader, vote for Cal.  If they need a nurturer and a "doer," then that is her.  

• Love 8

Rob followed her outside and asked her if she wanted to stay and if so, what would she need from them?  She said she would need to stay busy, be told what to do and get another vet with another opinion to visit and talk to everyone.  Now Rob is back at the table talking to everyone and saying now he just wants to "give this to her."  Aaron voted for Katie to stay.  Nikki voted for Cal to stay.  Mike admitted he doesn't really care but he voted for Cal to stay.  Taylor voted for Cal to stay.  Kristen voted for Katie to stay (while watching Aaron the whole time she spoke), Josh voted for Cal to stay.  Amanda voted for Cal to stay, Ernesto voted for Cal to stay, Bri said she wants them both to go (to which the group burst out in laughter) but voted for Katie to stay, Chris voted for Cal to stay, Bella voted for Cal to stay, Hex (sounding quite pissed) voted for Cal to stay and Dedeker voted for Cal to stay.  

Cal--10

Katie--4

• Love 4

Earlier today Katie gave that whole "I'm a worker bee, you have to tell me what to do otherwise I will be just sitting doing nothing and that drives me crazy!" speech, too. There's plenty to do, she could have done any of it instead of waiting for marching orders. Good riddance.

• Love 3

That whole process was overly dramatic and took forever--at every point it seemed that Katie was going to stay, then the vote would veer off to Cal.  To me, it was cut and dried--she is an unstable force who would bring nothing but drama and chaos to Utopia (or should I say more drama and chaos).  The crowd gathered around her and said "ta-ta" to Katie and her "ta-tas."  Thank goodness, even those cows were happy to see her go. 

• Love 3

I'm confused about why anyone there is going hungry.

When Bella was rooting through the garbage for potato peels, weren't they still in start-up mode?  No phone or something like that?

But it's a month later.  When Bri's not fondling Chris, she's making out with the community peanut butter.  Besides the pond full of fish, there's apparently a savings account with an indeterminate amount of money and Delivery-mart is on speed dial.  Are people stockpiling their little money piles while some of their co-Topes have gnawing stomach pains?   Is Aaron's tyranny really the reason I keep seeing so many reports of people being hungry?  What prevents anyone from saying "Shove over, asshole," sweeping the larvae off the burners and cooking him/herself some food?

I've read every word in this thread and I still don't understand all the talk about how much food so-and-so should be served based on how much work was done.  Why aren't people allowed to eat as much as they want?  And why in the world would anyone put up that nonsense?

• Love 9

It really bugs me that Nikki thinks a 'red tent' for menstruating women to go to is a good thing.

I almost choked on my diet Pepsi when I heard Nikki say this would be a place that women could go to "bleed into the earth," if they wanted to, because Tampons are so toxic.  I would love to have seen Amanda's expression but the camera was solely on Nikki. 

ETA:  I thought that couple brought the baby scales with the baby clothes?

Edited by 4leafclover
  • Love 4

Earlier today in the budget meeting, they decided that the weekly allowance would not dip below ten dollars per person. Ernesto, being new, accidentally over ordered last week or week before and had to borrow five dollars from Aaron I guess and still his bank account is very low. Amanda gave him some money this week so he could order his food and not go hungry.

How exactly does money work in Utopia? We've seen cash dollar bills, but there's also talk of PayPal accounts and online orders.

If they're walking around with cash, how does that get converted into online money? It seems that cash would be the most useless form of currency, because most of what they order is online or via telephone. How is cash supposed to work?

• Love 1

ETA: The bank account has separate balances for each member so Dede keeps track of who has how much in it.  They can only use their own money in their own accounts but I think they can also use community money. I'm not clear on how that works exactly.

Thanks, Andyourlittledog2.

The more that gets explained the more questions remain unanswered. Dede is keeping track of the bank accounts? How did that happen? I thought Kristen and Mike were the most recent "leaders" of Utopia. I've never heard about Dede being in charge of anything.

I still don't understand how cash money gets converted into online money - or is it that the cash can only be used for purchases from locals who deliver in person? I should really stop thinking about this, or I'll go crazy.

• Love 1

Dan Piraro @pirarobizarro · Oct 3

I think next month's #Utopia replacement process should involve releasing a mountain lion into the compound at dawn.

That's more like the "Bizarro" cartoonist we all know and love...

Robot sharks? Please, let it be robot sharks.

...with frikin' lasers

Edited by kib
  • Love 5

How exactly does money work in Utopia? We've seen cash dollar bills, but there's also talk of PayPal accounts and online orders.

If they're walking around with cash, how does that get converted into online money? It seems that cash would be the most useless form of currency, because most of what they order is online or via telephone. How is cash supposed to work?

They have a bank account now and each person has been issued a debit card. They also have some cash in the safe.  They had a paypal account but production stopped that today. 

ETA: The bank account has separate balances for each member so Dede keeps track of who has how much in it.  They can only use their own money in their own accounts but I think they can also use community money. I'm not clear on how that works exactly. 

Ah, just like our ancestors did, rumbling westward in their covered wagon trains into unsettled lands.  America would not be the country it is today, were it not for those brave pioneers with their can-do spirit and their jointly shared electronic credit lines.

Utopia!

Edited by hincandenza
  • Love 9

Thanks very much, littledog2.  I read your account of the food rules several times.  How bizarre. 

They must all be missing so many familiar comforts from home--I'd expect them to become obsessed with getting a big pile of tasty on their plates, since that's one of the very few crossover pleasures.   (Yoga. And sex, for some.)

But I suppose they came in with a certain mindset because they'd been told they'd primarily be eating what they grew, fished, hunted or foraged, supplemented with eggs and milk.  Funny how it's turned out to be about Costco pizzas and Watermelon Sour Patch Kids from Amazon.

I feel very bad for little Oliver-Nikki:  "Please, sir.  May I have some more?"

CKC figured out if they keep the really annoying one she will be a 'shield' for elimination votes against them. In other words, she'd get voted out before any of them would.

Grrr.  Why is it that, no matter how stupid reality famewhores are in other ways, they always seem to figure out this bit of strategy?  

I think that's the basic flaw of the show .... the inmates are treating it as a game (like Big Brother or Survivor) and not as the "social experiment" FOX promised.

• Love 4

Rob followed her outside and asked her if she wanted to stay and if so, what would she need from them?  She said she would need to stay busy, be told what to do and get another vet with another opinion to visit and talk to everyone.  Now Rob is back at the table talking to everyone and saying now he just wants to "give this to her."  Aaron voted for Katie to stay.  Nikki voted for Cal to stay.  Mike admitted he doesn't really care but he voted for Cal to stay.  Taylor voted for Cal to stay.  Kristen voted for Katie to stay (while watching Aaron the whole time she spoke), Josh voted for Cal to stay.  Amanda voted for Cal to stay, Ernesto voted for Cal to stay, Bri said she wants them both to go (to which the group burst out in laughter) but voted for Katie to stay, Chris voted for Cal to stay, Bella voted for Cal to stay, Hex (sounding quite pissed) voted for Cal to stay and Dedeker voted for Cal to stay.  

Cal--10

Katie--4

She means "get a vet who agrees with her" - also the current vets have spoken to the entire group, the group just ignored what they were told.

Well, with Katie gone, Utopia will be a quieter place. 

Earlier today Katie gave that whole "I'm a worker bee, you have to tell me what to do otherwise I will be just sitting doing nothing and that drives me crazy!" speech, too. There's plenty to do, she could have done any of it instead of waiting for marching orders. Good riddance.

Lordy, you're a grown arse woman, you shouldn't wait until you're "told" what to do ..... find out what needs doing and then do it.  Hell, you could have been cleaning the kitchen while "waiting" for your directions.

It seems that no one (with the possible exception of Josh) has any initiative in that place. 

I honestly don't think Katie intended to stay. I think she viewed it as an opportunity to get her animal rights message out there and made sure she spoke about it 24/7, certain that at least some of her incessant lecturing would make it on the air. Once she finished the speech she said she wrote that morning (BS - it didn't even sound like she wrote it, it seemed above her level in words and phrasing and very edited for effect) and they voted her out, she was all chirpy and laughing and fine with getting out of there. She was fine. No tears, no sadness, just okey dokey then, see ya!  It was jarring. And I am with Rob (who can be too harsh I admit) but that was just a canned speech and insulting to the group and what they were doing and went on interminably. I mean she had pages and pages she was reading as a speech on animal rights and hardly anything about being in or out of Utopia itself. It was a public service announcement.  I'm glad he stopped her although she came back in and we did have to hear the rest of the speech.  

But did they?  Did anyone but the feedsters see her rants?  And wouldn't it be hysterical if none of her animal rights comments made it to broadcast? 

• Love 3

When the government meeting was on and it came time to come up with a synopsis of what Kristen's turn taught the group it was after Kristen had been thoroughly rattled and she and Aaron were working on their redemption arc. So when Hex stated something about 'Hard work should pay' Kristin objected to the word 'pay'.  She wasn't about money, it was never about making money!  Oh Kristen. We have the video feeds, sweetheart. We know who you are. 

Dede keeps the computer books - meaning the books are on the computer now so she pores over that instead of little slips of paper mostly.. She does ninety percent of the bookkeeping. Even she is frustrated with Mike's inability to keep track of money properly. You can see it on her face whenever he says, 'That can't be right' or 'Something's missing.'  She'd be better off if Mike weren't involved.  Today she and Mike tried to make it seem like the books were such hard work and Rob really jumped on them. Told Dede if it was too much she could give it up, do something else, no one made her do that job. They backed off that line real quick. 

Keeping the books for this group shouldn't be that difficult; if you don't have accounting software, Excel is a great alternative.  I once had to keep "the books" for a small company using nothing other than a ledger and a calculator - not that difficult at all; you just need to enter debits and credits as they happen (with copies of the receipts) and not wait for a week or two before making entries.

Mike and Dede seem pretty lazy (well most of the inmates do) and like to "complain" about how "hard" recording the purchases and payments is so that others will think they're pulling their weight.

• Love 4

HILARITY this afternoon. Production put Hex up to getting everyone to write down who they thought were the hardest workers and who "could make more of an effort."

Too bad this isn't something America could do.  They could have a Citizen of the Week contest where each week America votes for the most deserving Utopian to get a reward of some kind.

I read elsewhere that Mike has the brilliant idea of selling pictures of himself for $20 a pop.  I think most of these people are delusional.

Edited by Josette
  • Love 6

A person called to tell her that her boyfriend went to TMZ to say he was breaking up with her (this was probably a prank call but it really upset her)

I heard that call live on the feeds. Someone said he was calling from TMZ and he wanted to warn her that Aaron will leave her (not on the boyfriend/girlfriend level, more like as a partner in crime). Her boyfriend was never mentioned, people made that up afterwards. The call was cut right after Hi, it's ... from TMZ. Aaron is going to leave you, I want to warn you ...

Thanks, Andyourlittledog2.

The more that gets explained the more questions remain unanswered. Dede is keeping track of the bank accounts? How did that happen? I thought Kristen and Mike were the most recent "leaders" of Utopia. I've never heard about Dede being in charge of anything.

I still don't understand how cash money gets converted into online money - or is it that the cash can only be used for purchases from locals who deliver in person? I should really stop thinking about this, or I'll go crazy.

Dede and Mike are Accounting since Amandas reign.

The System works like this: They have x amount of money as a group. part of that money is in their bank account for online payment and savings, and part of it is in the safe to pay direct deliveries. Dede and Mike have a document on the laptop in which the amount every single person owns is listed. If one persons debit card is shown making a payment in their bank account, the adjust the amount the person owns by that number. If a person uses personal money to pay for something out of the safe, they also adjust their document. Everyone can use the money in the bank account and in the safe, but only as much as they own.

• Love 2

Even though Bri's speech last night during the vote was definitely pro-Cal to stay, at the very end of her speech she voted for Katie to stay.  Everyone was confused and Chris even asked her to clarify (of course, he didn't use such a big word as "clarify" to Bri), who she wanted to stay and she said "Katie."  She was one of 4 pro-Katie votes.  What I didn't understand though, was what Bri was doing rummaging through Katie's crate before the vote, then she took a piece of paper out to Katie and handed it to her.  Nothing was said about it, and it was all very mysterious to me. 

• Love 2

Is Aaron's tyranny really the reason I keep seeing so many reports of people being hungry?  What prevents anyone from saying "Shove over, asshole," sweeping the larvae off the burners and cooking him/herself some food?

I've read every word in this thread and I still don't understand all the talk about how much food so-and-so should be served based on how much work was done.  Why aren't people allowed to eat as much as they want?  And why in the world would anyone put up that nonsense?

This is an excellent point. Why not have a communal meal every night which involved several people to cook? They could plan it a week ahead, so people know what day is theirs and what they are preparing. And have a "chef" for lunch or breakfast? That way the communal meals could have a wide variety of different types of meals and exposure to different foods.  Not everyone there is from the same ethnic background. It would expose people to new and different things! Breakfast (IMO) is the easiest meal to make. Eggs, toast, bacon, or something else. Some fruit. Oatmeal. I do not know why they don't buy a large rice cooker. It will steam your rice for you, it turns out great,  and that way you can always have it on hand, like they do in Asian restaurants. Plus rice can be purchased in 25-50 pound bags from Costco. Not expensive in comparison to buying FROZEN PIZZAS.  For people with gluten issues, certain types of rice are a-ok.  However, the problem with my plan is that would mean Aaron has LESS to do and he would have to work in other ways as well.  That probably wouldn't fly for "chef".  I know, I know,  rationality, is not in excess here in Utopia. 

• Love 5

HILARITY this afternoon. Production put Hex up to getting everyone to write down who they thought were the hardest workers and who "could make more of an effort."

Joker's had the breakdown of the votes

Hardest:

Hex (4)

Taylor (3)

Rob (2)

Mike (2)

Dedeker

Kristen

Josh

Toilet

Least

Amanda (4)

Bella (2)

Nikki (2)

Ernesto

Kristen

Katie

Aaron

Deer

Hammock

Not Sure

I call bullshit because Bri is never voted for once.

Is Aaron's tyranny really the reason I keep seeing so many reports of people being hungry?

On the All of Utopia daily summary it said Bri was complaining to Katie that she was gaining weight. 

Aaron's reign of terror is a multi-faceted approach:

1.  He deplores basic hygeine so you lose your appetite;

2.  He's likely to put gross stuff in your food (or stuff you don't eat) if he doesn't like you so you are afraid to eat; and

3.  If you are still hungry enough to eat his swill, he gives you a portion sized for someone post-gastric bypass.

If talking about other boards like Joker's or All of Utopia is a no-no, please let me know (and I'll edit those references to say "sources").

• Love 5
Why not have a communal meal every night which involved several people to cook?

What you're proposing is what actual, thinking people would do to have proper meals and maintain harmony and fiscal balance.  These are not actual people and the folks telling them what to do have zero interest in harmony and even less in the pretense that these folks are minding their means.  

I do get that they're whipping through their money because they know there's no reason not to (cuz production will bail them out, or they'll just bail).  Living in squalor, now, that I don't get.  I'll give production this: I've yet to hear about the feeds being cut for a few hours then turning back on to find the whole place miraculously clean.  If this lasts long enough for a baby to be in there (extremely doubtful), my guess is that this will happen.  Surely production has some shame in them somewhere.

• Love 3
They could even do it with buckets if they wanted to but they seem to like being filthy all the time.

Didn't they turn it into a "hot tub" building a frame for it out of metal pipes and then a fire pit underneath it? Mike and Aaron set it up. 

• Love 1

is the kitchen sink the only sink in the building?

is anyone there thinking of a way to stay warm when the temps reach into the 30s?

are they going to have to buy firewood?

are amanda and nikki cooking separately from the group?   if so, more Utes should join them

Seriously?  That boggles the mind.  And Mike being the one who says he doesn't believe in consequences when he was all about leading the trial against Josh after the first night?  

Production's apparently been interfering about so many things.  They ought to interfere here and remove Aaron for unwanted physical contact.

• Love 7

Aaron justified it by saying his physical attack was simply him showing Josh how his verbal attack was to him.

wow.  

if the group accepts that, the door for future violence is wide open.

since it sounds like aaron will not be punished,   josh needs to make his own food arrangements.

maybe josh and amanda and nikki can team up for cooking.

• Love 4
since it sounds like aaron will not be punished, josh needs to make his own food arrangements.

Sounds like Josh needs to call the cops, if this isn't all producer-driven bullshit.  Don't let the PAs tell you that you signed away your right to legal recourse, Josh, just dial 911.  See how fast Mr. de Mol can find his checkbook.

• Love 6

And look!  I still have the capacity to be shocked by Tope behavior!!  AND by Production!!!

It's almost unimaginable that a reality show exists without a zero tolerance policy for physical violence.  I agree with people above that downplaying this incident sets a dangerous precedent.

• Love 5

Josh should pack his bags and leave these losers to their own devices. Who would do all the work with him gone?

He has to know the CKC is going to get rid of him, Bella, and Nikki in the next three votes anyway.

SMH.

• Love 6

Josh might want to consider not touching another tool again. He might even want to start handing out food to the hungry, too. Then he can pack his things, head held high, and walk out. Too bad he doesn't know that he would NOT look like he was quitting to the people who watch.

• Love 5