Type keyword(s) to search

S25: Shelley & Nici

• Start Topic

I was kind of disappointed that Shelley and Nici's decision to hire the cab by the hour didn't come into play. I thought it was good strategy when they first mentioned it. Although I guess there was some value in not carrying their heavy packs around all day...

No need for it to come into play because it's not against the rules.  If it was, Phil would have said something.  Many, many times racers have asked their cabbie to wait for them (and the cabbies have stayed), and I'm sure the cabbies are not doing it free of charge.  TAR does insist that you pay your cab driver, though.  That's for certain.  So, they must have had enough to pay them.

I can't recall the season, but a team got to the pit stop and Phil turned a team around.  He told them they had to pay their driver BEFORE he checked them in.

There are a few things that we can be bothered about Shelley and Nici, but that's not one of them.  :-)

I'm assuming Chyna meant, disappointed that hiring the cab didn't turn out to be helpful on this leg, not that it was against the rules.

Ahhh, ok.  If that is what was meant, I did misunderstand the comment.  Sorry about that.

I'm assuming Chyna meant, disappointed that hiring the cab didn't turn out to be helpful on this leg, not that it was against the rules.

Indeed. Since the editors made a point of including that in the episode, I thought it might end up being a brilliant strategic move (or perhaps a big mistake). But it turned out to be a whole lotta nothin'.

This team has such a toxic energy it's hard to root for them. I agree with the strategy to knock out Keith and Whitney. Jim and Misti can't get eliminated because of the stupid Save (that I still think they should have had to give up last week) and I wouldn't want to be on their bad side.

Moving back up, and Nici did a great job with the Roadblock, despite taking a bit long so that Misti could pass her.  They did well at the Detour, at least after Nici pointed out to Shelley what she was doing wrong, and if not for the matter of their cab fare, they'd have finished in a solid third place.

I do think those were nice moments for them.

• Love 1

Jim and Misti can't get eliminated because of the stupid Save (that I still think they should have had to give up last week) and I wouldn't want to be on their bad side.

Unless you strip it from them by U-turning them. Although I agree they couldn't know where they were because of different tasks. I get so frustrated when fellow contestants just assume the save is a free pass to the end of the game instead of understanding it just means they have to have two bad legs, and that they can "help" them have one of those bad legs. And honestly, Jim seems so unpleasant anyway, I'd take the temporary ratcheting up of that unpleasantness to get rid of him faster.

Honestly, I'm a mix of saddened and relieved that they're gone.  They seemed to get along much better on this leg, and they did their tasks quickly enough.  But navigation did them in big-time.  I couldn't believe that they got themselves so turned around like that.  They were so far behind, they barely saw any teams again when they got to the Detour, but never again after that.

Too bad for them, but such bad navigation deserves an elimination.  Also, there is a little thing called "karma."  I kinda figured it'd be visiting them when, on either Twitter or Instagram, Whitney publicly wondered whom it'd be visiting this week.  I knew she likely meant these two.

Honestly, I'm a mix of saddened and relieved that they're gone.

I'm right there with you. I like all female teams. I was encouraged to hear about their military service. It was nice that one of them spoke Spanish. I'm always a fan of teams that bring special skills instead of just barking at people in English. I know everyone didn't love the brother and sister who spoke Chinese but I did. It's always nice to see TAR fans on the show. But yeah, they haven't raced exceptionally well throughout the race and they brought a lot of toxic energy. Even when they weren't having a big blowout fight or tantrums there was an uncomfortable energy under the surface a lot of the time. They were getting hard to watch and I think at the end of the day it's better that they went out now before race fatigue could hit them any worse.

• Love 1

I think Phil was right about the increased closeness and trust between them being a pretty good prize (I understand why they didn't quite see it that way at that moment). I really enjoyed them when they were getting along. But the navigational issues (about the worst I've seen this season so far) really did them in, and that's a shame.

I hope they enjoy Sequesterville (Racers seem to, once they get over their Philimination), and continue to grow closer.

• Love 1

At the end of the episode, the Mom repeated several times that the relationship with the daughter was better, but the daughter didn't say much, neither on the mat, nor in the voiceover.  Maybe she was just more disappointed they were eliminated?  Or she didn't think their relationship was much improved?

Given her multiple breakdowns over even the thought of an early elimination, I think she was just reeling from the fact that it had finally happened. I didn't see any hostility or resentment towards her mom in those last couple of legs.

• Love 1

I am glad they were elimated for the fact I could never tell who was who. LOL!! They had beautiful faces (someone should hire them for a face soap commercial) but I only really knew at the mat who was the Mom and who was the daughter. Yes, I'm slow.

I can't recall the season, but a team got to the pit stop and Phil turned a team around.  He told them they had to pay their driver BEFORE he checked them in.

He did it to two teams -- Chad & Stephanie in TAR17 (at the seventh Pit Stop) and Leo & Jamal in TAR23 (at the second Pit Stop).