Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E13: National Finals in Vegas (Stage 1.2)

• Start Topic

My dvr biffed the last half hour.  What happened then?

Poor David Campbell.  I love him for his past efforts in the G4 era, but that was brutal. There are always a few new obstacles that can surprise the vets.  Campbell still has the skill to make it to the 3rd stage I think, but he is getting up there in age.

All I can remember is Jon Stewart falling on the Silk Slider, Kacy biffing on Spider Jump, and Brian Arnold (I think) taking his sweet time hitting the buzzer.

Anybody else kinda happy Kacy failed? It's not that I hate her, but if she got through the first stage, Matt & Akbar would've orgasmed. Hard. And that would've been messy.

• Love 2

No, I'm sad.  I'm not sure how interested I am in watching it anymore, honestly.  I only started watching because of Kacy.  Loved Jon Stewart as well.  I don't really care tremendously about too many of the other contenders - it's more of an intellectual exercise if someone can get through it or not.

I absolutely HATE the fact that some of the contenders (like Ian Dory) completed the course successfully during the break, but we have to put up with all of those annoying filler and backstories, not to mention seeing people who not only failed in Stage One, but also failed at their city finals, like that Adonis guy. 

Also, at the top of the show, did they absolutely have to show that clip of the devastated, crying competitor who fell on the last show all over again?  It was horrible enough to see it last week - we didn't need to see it again.  Poor guy.

ETA:  I like some of the rock climbers and Abel is a sweetie, plus I also like the concert pianist guy, so I guess I'm still in. 

Edited by SophiaD

I'm disappointed as well. Especially since it didn't seem to be her fault, she was to short of that obstical, so when she got her feet on it she couldn't reach it.

I was also really annoyed at that guy how was taking his time hitting the button. Seriously get over yourself and just do it.

• Love 2

Wasn't there a strategy involved in the time of hitting the button...like order in round two?  i thought they said that.  By being near the end, he could learn from the ones ahead of him. That  was what I thought I heard. he was showboating though and I really don't like that.

I think my biggest problem with this show is that if you are under 5'5 (at least, maybe taller), you just can't do the obstacles.  Don't design the course in a way that it's not skill that determines if you get through, but random luck-of-the-draw genetic height.

• Love 1

I think with the Spider Jump, it gets narrower as you get in further, so the thinking is, if you're big, you won't be able to jump as far but you'll have the reach to span hte distance. If you're short, you'll be lighter, and you can jump in further to span the distance. Kacy just didn't jump in far enough to be able to lock in for her reach. (It's arguable if she is big enough or could jump far enough to make it, but I suspect with a bit more practice she could make it)

As for the guy who waited to hit the button, there is a bit of strategy involved, so I don't fault his grandstanding too much. The second stage is run in order based on the Stage 1 finishes; the longer you take the earlier you run. So it seems to me a contender, if they have a choice, needs to balance between seeing other competitors take on the course vs running earlier (when you are rested, instead of staying up late.) A third factor too is, the earlier into the night you run, the hotter it'll still be in Vegas. The guy who waited was cocky, I'll ding him for that; but he probably feels (is) experienced enough to figure he can learn the obstacles on the fly, so decided an earlier run was better for him. 

Initially I thought Brian Arnold was purposely going to take himself out of the game when he wouldn't hit the buzzer - like he wanted to be done, but at the same time prove he did it. I don't understand why he wants to go earlier in the order, but if that's what he wants he earned the ability to control things some with his good time.

I felt so bad for that guy who missed hitting the buzzer by a second or two - when he watches that replay and realizes the time he wasted and how close it was he's going to be so mad. I guess there isn't a big clock where they can hear or see how much time is left, so they have no idea until they hear the 10 sec buzzer - they literally need to count in their head.

Lol - it's true that if Casy would have made it through those announcers would have went nuts - it would have been all about her even more than it has been. I'm sure it's possible for someone her height to make it through the spider jump, the show wouldn't have an obstacle like that - the way I see it, some obstacles small size is an advantage, and some it's a disadvantage, it evens out.

I agree that they make too big a deal about that Adonis guy. They should show everyone's run.

I really don't find someone getting engaged being a "backstory" worth taking time away from other people's runs over - you're getting married? Big whop - more than half the population is married? Why is that worth a segment? What's next?, someone bought a house?, had their birthday? I just thought that story was very lame.

I'm sure that. Kacy has been able to practice the Spider Jump and will say in future interviews whether she's able to hit it 90% of the time or 10% or 0%. A few women have cleared it in the Japanese version though I'm not sure about height.

It's a tough obstacle and can eliminate the best competitor.

All I can remember is Jon Stewart falling on the Silk Slider, 

I'll admit I haven't watched the episode yet, so this took me to a strange mental place where the Comedy Central tv host version is ranting about Isis as he falls off the silk slider into the water. 

Thanks, best laugh of the day.

Edited by whack-a-mole
  • Love 1

I think Kacy can probably hit the Spider Jump, but she is going to have to time it pretty close to perfectly.  Unlike some of the male competitors who were "off" and were able to correct their errors, if she misses, she's out.

She did hit the jump very well, completely centered from what I can remember, she just didn't jump far enough forward, so that her arms could come into play.  Had she been able to do that, I think she would have had a real shot of completing Stage One.

Initially I thought Brian Arnold was purposely going to take himself out of the game when he wouldn't hit the buzzer - like he wanted to be done, but at the same time prove he did it. I don't understand why he wants to go earlier in the order, but if that's what he wants he earned the ability to control things some with his good time.

Ah. Previously.tv. TWOP with a better look. Nice to be back. 

It's very smart strategy to me. Arnold was probably the last or second-last person to do Stage 1 (Usually, the highest person from last year gets the prime spot in the National Final). As Taeolas stated, they run Stage 2 in reverse order and rarely change those obstacles (Brian probably wandered over to that stage to confirm it). So, it's best to run Stage 2 immediately, while your muscles are still loose from Stage 1 and get maximum rest for Stage 3. Stage 2 isn't that tricky. Just the double salmon ladder and the rope cylinder, really. Stage 3 is the stage that will determine the money for him. 

Sasuke, from the little I've seen, seems to run during the Day, while ANW seems to prefer running at night. So ANW splitting up the stages probably makes sure they have enough darkness to handle any possibilities. Especially since Stage 1 with what? 100 contestants counting wildcards? will take the longest no matter what. I'm surprised we didn't see dawn breaking on the later runs (if they truly were later runs).

Hmm... estimate 5 minutes per contestant (to run the course and reset it), 500 minutes total, 8 hours 20 minutes to run. A quick googling shows Vegas has at least 9 hours of darkness (on June 21st, so most nights are longer), so they can *just* pull off stage 1 in one night.

So going first on Stage 2 will give you the most potential rest time for Stage 3. Plus you'll be on a dryer course (fewer splashes from people who failed/splashed before you).  On the other hand, you won't have time to see how other people handled the course, and you'll be running just after Dusk so it would still be pretty hot out; some of those obstacles would probably be somewhat sketchy after baking in the Vegas sun all day. (If you've been there, I dare you to touch the railing of an outdoor escalator in the afternoon :) ). Then again actual filming probably doesn't start till near Midnight (they can delay since there are fewer Warriors than stage one) so that might be enough time to cool off the course. 

A lot of interesting things to consider in any case, if you have the choice/opportunity to control when you can tackle the course. 

It's a weird decision to tape at night, even if you're splitting up the taping into multiple days. I'd think any competitors would want to make their attempt at 3pm rather than 3am. Here's what I can make out of it:

1. It's cheaper? Would it be cheaper to pay the crew to work into the wee hours rather than the day?
  2. It's not as hot? Makes sense for Vegas, but Denver or some other locales?
  3. The space is only available at night?  Even if this is true, the setup has to remain overnight, doesn't it?
  4. It helps editing if the background is consistent? In the Japanese version, you can tell where you are in the proceedings as the day transitions into night. Here, if the background is black you can present the runs in any order you want.

It's a weird decision to tape at night, even if you're splitting up the taping into multiple days. I'd think any competitors would want to make their attempt at 3pm rather than 3am. Here's what I can make out of it:

1. It's cheaper? Would it be cheaper to pay the crew to work into the wee hours rather than the day?
  2. It's not as hot? Makes sense for Vegas, but Denver or some other locales?
  3. The space is only available at night?  Even if this is true, the setup has to remain overnight, doesn't it?
  4. It helps editing if the background is consistent? In the Japanese version, you can tell where you are in the proceedings as the day transitions into night. Here, if the background is black you can present the runs in any order you want.

Most jobs pay an extra shift differential for night work, so it would cost more at night than during the day. 

I think they have it at night because they prefer the look of the program at night.  The course looks washed out under direct sunlight.  I also think that the course would be too hot if they ran during the day.

• Love 1

Initially, I liked the Kacy story, but at this point, I am so over it. NBC just ran it into the ground, so I'm a little glad we don't have to hear about her anymore. I, too, would rather see all the people that finished instead of backstories, especially for the ones that fail or had backstories in the preliminaries AND the city finals. This has just dragged on forever. This is the first season I have watched this much of NBC's version and I am hanging by a thread. So much stalling and hype. It's ridiculous.

I don't understand the Brian Arnold strategy either but I'm sure he's got his reasons, he's had like three months to do nothing but think about Ninja Warrior. I hope he gets a life after this, obsession never worked for Mr. Ninja Warrior.

It just seemed to me when she hit the wall, she was at the narrowest point and her legs were already in a full split (ouch).  I'm not sure, even if she had got her hands on the wall, she would have even been able to move, since she had no room to bend her knees.

It's probably the only issue I have (that and too much time spent on backstories).  Definitely am enjoying the show - reminds me a lot of the obstacle courses from American Gladiator.

I don't understand the Brian Arnold strategy either but I'm sure he's got his reasons, he's had like three months to do nothing but think about Ninja Warrior.

Is the payout only for the first finisher or for all finishers. I have a feeling he knows a couple of his training buddies could finish, and he wants a shot at being first.

If more than one person completes the entire course (which seems unlikely), the prize will probably go to the competitor with the best time. But they're just getting started with Stage 2, so my guess is that Brian Arnold waited to hit the buzzer so that his time will put him earlier in the lineup for Stage 2. It's probably hard to wait around for hours for your turn to come up.

It helps editing if the background is consistent? In the Japanese version, you can tell where you are in the proceedings as the day transitions into night. Here, if the background is black you can present the runs in any order you want.

I think this is it.  If you noticed the interview with Kacy, her hair was dry.  I mean, it m ay not have been bone dry but it was not wet like it would have been after she got out of the water.  This way they can re-edit to put the runs in whatever order they want, depending on whom they deem as interesting or most compelling.  Of course, their version of compelling is so far off from what mine is, so there's that.

Initially, I liked the Kacy story, but at this point, I am so over it. NBC just ran it into the ground, so I'm a little glad we don't have to hear about her anymore.

I have the exact opposite reaction.  I will miss seeing her and find it difficult to care about the others.  If Isaac the great rock climber and the piano guy go out, I may not even bother watching the rest of the show.  (I do wish NBC hadn't gone on and on and on about it, though).

Definitely am enjoying the show - reminds me a lot of the obstacle courses from American Gladiator.

I was thinking that, too, that it reminded me of the 1990s version of American Gladiator.  Although, back in the day, I might have had a prayer of making it through AG (although those tennis balls looked wicked intense), but I'd probably fall before I even got onto the ANW course.