Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

We all have been drawn into off-topic discussions, me included. There's little that's off-topic when it comes to Chit Chat, so the only ask is that you please remember that this is the Chit Chat topic and that there's a subforum for all things health and wellness here.

If there's something you need clarification on, please keep in mind that it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; talk to them and not about what they said.
If you disagree, consider how we can express our differing opinions and still respect the other's opinion and recognize it as valid.
We're all different people, so different perspectives and points of views are natural, welcome even for growing a healthy community. What is important is that we disagree with empathy and consideration. (If need be, check out the how do we have healthy debates guidelines for more).

• Start Topic

23 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Please stay safe. 🤗

I ran all my errands today and filled up my gas tank. They're expecting a ton of rain and some wind gusts. Thankfully, I'm not in a 100-year flood zone. Which is good because I'm 99% sure I don't have flood insurance (they said it wasn't needed).

• Like 6

Well, count me as the one person who doesn't love TCM. There was that one fabulous weekend maybe two months ago when they aired Crossing Delancey The Right Stuff, All The Presidents' Men, and The Goodbye Girl. Ever since? Meh. Maybe that weekend was special. They kept talking about Warner Bros. 100th year. ETA: just checked the schedule for tomorrow and there will be some Fred Astaire movies. Yes!!🎉

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

Anyone else ever feel bad after something like this? Doesn’t necessarily have to be a red light; just something you beat yourself up over or feel bad about doing when you should have known better. 

I dwell on stuff all the time. Fortunately for me, there's always some new thing to feel bad about that drives the previous thing from my mind. 😉
But this kind of thinking is called "ruminating," and it's something I should mention to my therapist. Again.😉

• Like 3
  • Wink 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

When I vacated GA I thought I left the hurricanes and tropical storms behind. It's going to be an interesting weekend!

Everyone on the west coast stay safe! I do wish some of the rain would come to Texas. It hasn't rained here since June and it was 109 degrees today. I hate it here.

• Sad 8
7 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Well, count me as the one person who doesn't love TCM. There was that one fabulous weekend maybe two months ago when they aired Crossing Delancey The Right Stuff, All The Presidents' Men, and The Goodbye Girl. Ever since? Meh. Maybe that weekend was special. They kept talking about Warner Bros. 100th year. ETA: just checked the schedule for tomorrow and there will be some Fred Astaire movies. Yes!!🎉

Yeah .. lots of musicals and Cowboy movies, and Rhonda Fleming, Alan Ladd, etc.

8 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Well, count me as the one person who doesn't love TCM. 

I haven't had TCM in about 10 years, so I can't quite recall, but could that have been the channel that sometimes had silent movies? 
I kind of loved them.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I haven't had TCM in about 10 years, so I can't quite recall, but could that have been the channel that sometimes had silent movies? 
I kind of loved them.

When my dad was a teenager, he played the theater piano while silent movies were being shown. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4

Several months ago I asked if anyone knew what hairdressers put on our hair to make it sleek. I think I've finally found something. It's Cibu Nourishing Gloss & you apply it to hair you've just blown/styled dry. The directions say to apply to damp hair. I did that the first time & it did nothing. I go to Hair Cuttery just for the occasional shampoo & styling (my own salon would charge a small fortune). I asked the woman who does my hair which product could produce the effect I wanted. She recommended Cibu & told me to apply to dry hair. She was right! It also tamped down most of the frizzies.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
On 8/18/2023 at 2:17 PM, Suzn said:

It may be available streaming on one of the services.  I'll look for it.  Thanks!

You’re right.  It might pop up.  Another movie I love is “The Merry Widow” with Lana Turner and Fernando Lamas.  This version, not the older one.  They both are gorgeous dancing to the song.  I keep looking for it on Turner so I could tape it again.  I’ll let you know if I see it.

https://www.amazon.com/s?me=A3M60ZQF4JO1XK&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER

@kristen111 I am partial to these slippers. I order them from Noah's Playpen (link above goes to their storefront, below also to their store front but to select styles) on Amazon. I have about 12 pairs. Some are 15 years old. I always get these two styles in the link below, in various colors. Noah's Playpen has 20 plus pages of these slippers. They make men's slippers also but I haven't bought any.

https://www.amazon.com/Snoozies-Skinnies-Lightweight-Slippers-Fireworks/dp/B07YLGGNX5/ref=sr_1_1?m=A3M60ZQF4JO1XK&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&qid=1692468747&s=merchant-items&sr=1-1

https://www.amazon.com/Snoozies-Womens-Buffalo-Ballerina-Medium/dp/B07K72BWMZ/ref=sr_1_6?m=A3M60ZQF4JO1XK&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&qid=1692469047&s=merchant-items&sr=1-6&th=1

I haven't tried these yet but I am getting ready to place an order for them since I am browsing. I haven't seen these two before

https://www.amazon.com/Womens-Heather-Cabin-Bootie-Medium/dp/B09Z5NFHGR/ref=sr_1_133?m=A3M60ZQF4JO1XK&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&qid=1692469329&s=merchant-items&sr=1-133

https://www.amazon.com/Womens-Polka-Slippet-Size-Medium/dp/B09YFC6QSS/ref=sr_1_196?m=A3M60ZQF4JO1XK&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&qid=1692469535&s=merchant-items&sr=1-196&th=1

I got a pair of this style below but I hated them. It's only because they are to high up on the foot for me. I don't order any of them unless they are the ballerina styles like the above links. There are many many many many patterns no matter what type is chosen though. I seriously can't wear them out and I am a daily user of them. I also use the skinny style to sleep in since I always have cold feet. I love to be barefoot but I also love to have just a slight covering when inside and these have been perfect for me for 15 or so years.

https://www.amazon.com/Womens-Bright-Rainbow-snoozies-Large/dp/B09XN9QHWC/ref=sr_1_183?m=A3M60ZQF4JO1XK&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&qid=1692469732&s=merchant-items&sr=1-183

I gave the ones in the style directly above away (not those colors), they were a gift. I never really wore them because they were not the style I liked and fit kind of big even though they were the right size and when the psycho girlfriend of the youngest son was finally out of our life I ditched everything related to her.

Edited by stewedsquash
grammarly would have a field day with my over use of styles and colors above ha!
  • Useful 2
18 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

I almost ran a red light on my way home from dinner and shopping just now... That doesn’t excuse it but I feel so guilty knowing I could have caused an accident or something... But I feel terrible and it will probably take me a while to get over this. Anyone else ever feel bad after something like this? 

Even very good drivers can make mistakes.  If I say that you shouldn't beat yourself up about it, it probably misses the mark, because it sounds like you are hard on yourself for many things.  Try to be kind to yourself.

TCM:  I can't do without it, but I also have a lot of criticism of it.  They play some movies over and over and as much as I used to love Meet Me in St Louis, I can say now that I've seen it enough to last the rest of my life.  There are good movies they neglect and they play forgotten movies that deserve to remain forgotten.

I know there are good men and good husbands and I'm glad for those of you who are happy with yours.  However, I am so glad not to have a husband.  😉

Edited by Suzn
  • Like 5
  • Applause 2

I know there are good men and good husbands and I'm glad for those of you who are happy with yours.  However, I am so glad not to have a husband.  😉

Being alone is better than being with someone who isolates or mistreats you for sure.

• Like 13
38 minutes ago, Suzn said:

Even very good drivers can make mistakes.  If I say that you shouldn't beat yourself up about it, it probably misses the mark, because it sounds like you are hard on yourself for many things.  Try to be kind to yourself.

TCM:  I can't do without it, but I also have a lot of criticism of it.  They play some movies over and over and as much as I used to love Meet Me in St Louis, I can say now that I've seen it enough to last the rest of my life.  There are good movies they neglect and they play forgotten movies that deserve to remain forgotten.

I know there are good men and good husbands and I'm glad for those of you who are happy with yours.  However, I am so glad not to have a husband.  😉

Concerning TCM, there are licensing problems, so Turner is not allowed to go into the vault.  I agree about the same ole movies too.  Yes, marriage is hard.  You don’t know what you get until you live with them.  Sometimes it sucks, sometimes it’s great.  It’s a gamble.  You don’t know a person until you live with them.  Thankfully,  I am in charge, as long as he plays golf and watches his sport, he’s happy.     You seem to be a very happy woman who has it all together.  Good for you. 👍😀

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, Suzn said:

This goes to my perspective that if you are happy with who you are and what you choose, like you are and have done, most anything works! Be confident in what you choose is a good mindset. Tearing down what doesn't fit you, is just sad. 

Edited by stewedsquash
clarity that I agree with Suzn's mindset
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, stewedsquash said:

https://www.amazon.com/s?me=A3M60ZQF4JO1XK&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER

@kristen111 I am partial to these slippers. I order them from Noah's Playpen (link above goes to their storefront, below also to their store front but to select styles) on Amazon. I have about 12 pairs. Some are 15 years old. I always get these two styles in the link below, in various colors. Noah's Playpen has 20 plus pages of these slippers. They make men's slippers also but I haven't bought any.

https://www.amazon.com/Snoozies-Skinnies-Lightweight-Slippers-Fireworks/dp/B07YLGGNX5/ref=sr_1_1?m=A3M60ZQF4JO1XK&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&qid=1692468747&s=merchant-items&sr=1-1

https://www.amazon.com/Snoozies-Womens-Buffalo-Ballerina-Medium/dp/B07K72BWMZ/ref=sr_1_6?m=A3M60ZQF4JO1XK&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&qid=1692469047&s=merchant-items&sr=1-6&th=1

I haven't tried these yet but I am getting ready to place an order for them since I am browsing. I haven't seen these two before

https://www.amazon.com/Womens-Heather-Cabin-Bootie-Medium/dp/B09Z5NFHGR/ref=sr_1_133?m=A3M60ZQF4JO1XK&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&qid=1692469329&s=merchant-items&sr=1-133

https://www.amazon.com/Womens-Polka-Slippet-Size-Medium/dp/B09YFC6QSS/ref=sr_1_196?m=A3M60ZQF4JO1XK&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&qid=1692469535&s=merchant-items&sr=1-196&th=1

I got a pair of this style below but I hated them. It's only because they are to high up on the foot for me. I don't order any of them unless they are the ballerina styles like the above links. There are many many many many patterns no matter what type is chosen though. I seriously can't wear them out and I am a daily user of them. I also use the skinny style to sleep in since I always have cold feet. I love to be barefoot but I also love to have just a slight covering when inside and these have been perfect for me for 15 or so years.

https://www.amazon.com/Womens-Bright-Rainbow-snoozies-Large/dp/B09XN9QHWC/ref=sr_1_183?m=A3M60ZQF4JO1XK&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&qid=1692469732&s=merchant-items&sr=1-183

I gave the ones in the style directly above away (not those colors), they were a gift. I never really wore them because they were not the style I liked and fit kind of big even though they were the right size and when the psycho girlfriend of the youngest son was finally out of our life I ditched everything related to her.

Thank you so much.  They all are adorable.  The price is great too.  Love them.  I will definitely get some, even for my girls.  😀  Great for gifts too.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Suzn said:

You remind me of a somewhat morbid discussion a close friend and I had a few years ago.  We are both in good marriages but even with that we agreed that if anything were to happen to our respective husbands we'd never get remarried - too old and tired to go to the trouble of breaking in a new one 🙂.

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
On 8/18/2023 at 4:03 PM, kristen111 said:

Oh, so am I. But I loved it. It's just a short story, it doesn't really go on long enough to be that triggering. More than anything, I was pissed. Pissed because they took away all of her choices, pissed because women had no rights in those days, piss

That movie reminded of “Gaslight” with Ingred Bergman.  I wanted to smash the husband.  What’s his face? .. Charles Boyer?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Laura Holt said:

You remind me of a somewhat morbid discussion a close friend and I had a few years ago.  We are both in good marriages but even with that we agreed that if anything were to happen to our respective husbands we'd never get remarried - too old and tired to go to the trouble of breaking in a new one 🙂.

If it sounds like I was criticizing being married, I didn't mean it that way.  I was married for 18 years and that was quite enough for me.  😄

• Like 7
1 hour ago, kristen111 said:

That movie reminded of “Gaslight” with Ingred Bergman.  I wanted to smash the husband.  What’s his face? .. Charles Boyer?

I loved it when he was tied to that chair. "Is this a knife I'm holding? I don't know. Maybe I'm imagining it. I imagine so many things. Don't I, Gregory? Or should I call you Sergis?"

image.png.fc9e3549693842404ab5d01d52eb9f40.png 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
23 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Ooh that’s a dealbreaker for me. I watch TCM more than anything. I’d rather give something else up. 

My husband isn't a sports fan and really wasn't into old movies very much until he started watching TCM with his late dad earlier this year. Back in January his dad's health declined to the point that all 4 siblings wouldn't leave him alone, so they each took days where they'd go, sleep over, and then be relieved by another sibling. All but my husband is retired.  He only works 2 or 3 days/week.

Anywho, his dad always watched TCM and knew all the old actors; heck he was 98. So, my husband somehow gained an appreciation for these old films and now we happily watch together. Sadly, Dad died on Flag Day this past June. 

• Like 4
  • Hugs 5
  • Sad 4
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I loved it when he was tied to that chair. "Is this a knife I'm holding? I don't know. Maybe I'm imagining it. I imagine so many things. Don't I, Gregory? Or should I call you Sergis?"

image.png.fc9e3549693842404ab5d01d52eb9f40.png 

I laughed through the whole movie.  Here it was HER house, and she’s walking around like a scared rabbit.  Her house!

Just now, kristen111 said:

I laughed through the whole movie.  Here it was HER house, and she’s walking around like a scared rabbit.  Her house!

It was great acting tho.  The both of them.  

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Suzn said:

4 hours ago, Suzn said:

If it sounds like I was criticizing being married, I didn't mean it that way.  I was married for 18 years and that was quite enough for me.  😄

Hah! I totally get it. I was married once for 8 years, and once was more than enough for me. Almost every man (and a few women) I've met since my divorce over 30 years ago winds up on my imaginary list titled "I Am So Glad I'm Not Married to That Person," including others' spouses who have seemingly attained sainthood.

• Like 2
  • Wink 2
  • LOL 3
13 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I watch a lot of true crime shows. That alone is enough to make me VERY glad to be single :p. 

I've watched a few Dateline shows and was so horrified by the evil in some humans that it haunted me for several days (especially the women who murdered their kids as well as their husbands). 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

Yeah, you'll definitely hear some pretty dark, ghastly stories on those kinds of shows. It really is stunning just how cruel and horrible some people can be. There's been some stories on some true crime shows that have stuck with me for some time, too. 

• Like 4
On 8/18/2023 at 6:51 PM, peacheslatour said:

I would gladly swap every single sports channel we get for TCM. We have like 5 ESPNs, Root, all the local channels carry sports all weekend. I hate sports.

I know, but that’s how the sponsors make their money .. selling beer, etc.  Turner is independent .  Maybe you can tell your husband Turner will be your Birthday presents for all your years to come?

• Like 1
9 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Hah! I totally get it. I was married once for 8 years, and once was more than enough for me. Almost every man (and a few women) I've met since my divorce over 30 years ago winds up on my imaginary list titled "I Am So Glad I'm Not Married to That Person," including others' spouses who have seemingly attained sainthood.

I don’t get it.  If you married for love, where does the love go, seriously?  Were the husbands mean, drinkers, cheap, abusive, what?  Sure, arguing is normal, but then you make up.  If one of the above, why part ways?   (New I pad, and still problems).

• Like 2
On 4/9/2023 at 8:44 PM, oliviabenson said:

In my old age I don’t have the patience/attention span to read a book. I miss when I could read a book in a day or 2.

To me, I picture you very young.  Since being on the threads, I don’t read books much.  I should.  I don’t even know what’s out there these days.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

My husband isn't a sports fan and really wasn't into old movies very much until he started watching TCM with his late dad earlier this year. Back in January his dad's health declined to the point that all 4 siblings wouldn't leave him alone, so they each took days where they'd go, sleep over, and then be relieved by another sibling. All but my husband is retired.  He only works 2 or 3 days/week.

Anywho, his dad always watched TCM and knew all the old actors; heck he was 98. So, my husband somehow gained an appreciation for these old films and now we happily watch together. Sadly, Dad died on Flag Day this past June. 

So nice that they kept him company.  My husband watches all the western films on Turner.  This was a good month.  Otherwise, he watches all sports, in another room.  Sometimes we watch together.  He gets a kick out of 90 day Fiance, lol.  All rejects.

4 hours ago, kristen111 said:

I don’t get it.  If you married for love, where does the love go, seriously?  Were the husbands mean, drinkers, cheap, abusive, what?  Sure, arguing is normal, but then you make up.  If one of the above, why part ways?   (New I pad, and still problems).

None of the above.  The answer is far more complicated and personal than I would care to go into, but there are ways someone can drag you down without these obvious kind of things.  I just know I couldn't bear the thought of going on living that way.

• Like 7
  • Hugs 4

Well, you left out a lot of reasons, but who said anything about marrying for love? 

• Like 4
  • Applause 2

I don’t get it.  If you married for love, where does the love go, seriously?

In one of my sisters cases the love went because she found out the love of her life was sleeping around.  He claimed he still loved her but she wasn't interested in sharing him.

Edited by Laura Holt
  • Like 8
5 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Since being on the threads, I don’t read books much.  I should.  I don’t even know what’s out there these days

I've been reading fewer and fewer books over the years, and now pretty much only read articles. I may be a retired librarian, but there's a reason those librarian conferences sold so many t-shirts emblazoned with "So Many Books, So Little Time."

Still, yesterday in Target this book caught my and my daughter's eye:
The Midnight Library: A Novel
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0525559493
https://www.worldcat.org/title/1143637380

Somewhere out beyond the edge of the universe there is a library that contains an infinite number of books, each one the story of another reality. One tells the story of your life as it is, along with another book for the other life you could have lived if you had made a different choice at any point in your life. While we all wonder how our lives might have been, what if you had the chance to go to the library and see for yourself? Would any of these other lives truly be better?

In The Midnight Library, Matt Haig's enchanting blockbuster novel, Nora Seed finds herself faced with this decision. Faced with the possibility of changing her life for a new one, following a different career, undoing old breakups, realizing her dreams of becoming a glaciologist; she must search within herself as she travels through the Midnight Library to decide what is truly fulfilling in life, and what makes it worth living in the first place.

I'm fond of saying "in an alternate universe, I was . . ." so I probably should read this book, even if the author doesn't explore being a weathergirl on TV.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 3
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, Suzn said:

None of the above.  The answer is far more complicated and personal than I would care to go into, but there are ways someone can drag you down without these obvious kind of things.  I just know I couldn't bear the thought of going on living that way.

Didn’t mean to pry .. I get it.  Things look good on the outside, but on the inside it’s not good.  A close relative had a great husband, until he threw an iron at her and almost crushed her eye.  Nobody knows what goes on behind closed doors I guess.   Plus, sometimes words are just as bad.It’s good to hear you are happy now. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Didn’t mean to pry .. I get it.  Things look good on the outside, but on the inside it’s not good.  A close relative had a great husband, until he threw an iron at her and almost crushed her eye.  Nobody knows what goes on behind closed doors I guess.   Plus, sometimes words are just as bad.It’s good to hear you are happy now. 

Thankfully, my Father was a calm and quiet guy .. so was my Father in law and my husband.  They just walked away when confronted.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Laura Holt said:

In one of my sisters cases the love went because she found out the love of her life was sleeping around.  He claimed he still loved her but she wasn't interested in sharing him.

Nice guy.  Yep,cheaters.

• Like 2

Also, while obviously love can erode for a number of reasons, love is far from the only thing necessary to sustain a marriage or similar relationship, so people can still love each other but no longer find it healthy or feasible to be bound together that way.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Also, while obviously love can erode for a number of reasons, love is far from the only thing necessary to sustain a marriage or similar relationship, so people can still love each other but no longer find it healthy or feasible to be bound together that way.

I married for love. We still love each other. Other than citizenship, tax advantages or the merging of kingdoms, I don't really see any other reason to do it.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
59 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I married for love. We still love each other. Other than citizenship, tax advantages or the merging of kingdoms, I don't really see any other reason to do it.

I married for one reason, and one reason only .. LOVE.  The continuation of this same love has sustained us for many years. 

• Love 6