Type keyword(s) to search

Ride - General Discussion

SonofaBiscuit
  • Start Topic

Hmm, I was booooored. Cash has no chemistry with his dead brother’s widow. Also, I’m not finding any of the actors/actresses interesting. They are seriously ALL bland - just some terrible casting choices. What a letdown after how much I enjoyed The Way Home!

• Like 5
2 hours ago, SonofaBiscuit said:

Hmm, I was booooored. Cash has no chemistry with his dead brother’s widow. Also, I’m not finding any of the actors/actresses interesting. They are seriously ALL bland - just some terrible casting choices. What a letdown after how much I enjoyed The Way Home!

Agree.  As of now, I have no reason to root for Cash.  Also, I cannot believe Marcus Rosner’s character was killed off within the first ten minutes.  What?

• Like 3
On 3/26/2023 at 10:14 PM, SonofaBiscuit said:

I agree. There is absolutely no chemistry between Cash and dead brother's widow. I really liked the actor who plays Cash on Good Trouble. The widow is the blandest of the bland. I knew it was not happening, but I really wanted her to go to Houston. I rolled my eyes so much at Cash needing a pep talk from the widow, just to ride. Please.

I will give the show another go just to see if some of the characters become less vanilla. I thought the other brother and I think Val might have some potential as characters, but so far it is a low bar. It is disappointing. I had higher hopes for this Hallmark series, because I too, enjoyed The Way Home a lot.

Edited by Misslindsey
  • Like 4

I've wanted to watch The way home because I've heard it's good but of course,  Hallmark is stingy with their On Demand offerings. 

I like Nancy Travis and the advertisements intrigued me.  It looked like it'd be a fun family soap but it was rather boring.  I could tell something was up with the brother and the sister-in-law right away and I was intrigued by what kind of drama that'd ensue.  But then they killed off the brother I recognized.  And the sister-in-law and brother-in-law have no chemistry.  I know we didn't see much of them but I suspect he has more with the woman who left and came back. 

I don't know if I'll give it another go. 

• Like 1

Between Nancy Travis headlining and the youngest brother being a gay bull fighter I feel obligated to watch, but moments of real entertainment were thin on the ground. So far they've mainly been restricted to Jake Foy singing and his character getting into a snipe-fest with the obvious Mean Girl. (About whom, what is her thinking, exactly? Being rude to all three of the closest relatives of the guy you've set your sights on before you've gotten so much as a glimmer of interest from him isn't exactly a winning strategy.)

• Like 4

I have to agree with everyone else that this was huge letdown after The Way Home. 

On 3/27/2023 at 8:53 PM, Irlandesa said:

I've wanted to watch The way home because I've heard it's good but of course,  Hallmark is stingy with their On Demand offerings. 

Hallmark’s on-demand is so bad. Peacock has the full season of The Way Home available. 

15 hours ago, bybrandy said:

I’m going to give it a couple of more but mostly for residual fondness for Cash from Good Trouble and Nancy Travis and Tuff being gay. 

The bolded selection is basically why I am still giving the show a couple more episodes as well. If they would ditch the Cash/Missy romance and give Cash something to do besides stare longingly at Missy I would probably give it more episodes, but I doubt that will happen.

• Like 2

This is alright, as Hallmark productions go, and I believe there’s a demographic for it. I don’t really see the comparison to Yellowstone, other than family/ranch. This is more like a rehash of Dallas, without the metropolitan “society” aspects and the “I can do what I want because I have money” attitude. There’s just enough mystery to keep me around for at least a few more episodes, but I do have to laugh when they let Nancy Travis sit in that plus $100K machine, just to turn it off, and jump out, as if she were actually driving it (not that it’s all that hard to do so, but liability insurance would prohibit it). As a matter of fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was never running at all with her in it, they just dubbed in the sound. (Direction: here’s the door latch, open it and get out).

• LOL 1
(edited)
On 4/3/2023 at 10:17 PM, Misslindsey said:

If they would ditch the Cash/Missy romance and give Cash something to do besides stare longingly at Missy I would probably give it more episodes, but I doubt that will happen.

It's on the Hallmark Channel, so I'm pretty sure that eventual romance is supposed to be the core premise of the show despite its utter lack of appeal. According to the Bible, aren't men supposed to marry their dead brothers' widows?

Edited by Bruinsfan

I enjoyed this show more as it went along week to week...we got some backstory on the characters that made them more interesting.  I was intrigued by Val from the beginning...I was surprised to find out she came from money...I am now interested to find out where Val's story goes, and I want to know if Isabelle & the Mayor find some money to build the Rodeo Stadium....I really enjoy Nancy Travis' character.

• Like 1
(edited)

I like TV shows and films involving cowboys and rodeo's etc so I thought I would check this one out. I just couldn't get into it.

The characters/actors all feel better suited to an urban environment and the overall show feels very confused. Almost like what they really wanted was another city based soap/drama but someone insisted it had to be set in the world of rodeo complete with fashion industry side story.

A lack of authenticity.

Edited by LadyIrony
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
(edited)

For me the weak link in this show is the actress who plays Missy.  She's pretty blah and blank and her character has zero personality. I don't understand how two men want to fight over her.  There is not any chemistry between her and Cash and only a smidge more between her and Gus. 

Edited by eclectcmoi
  • Like 1
On 5/30/2023 at 10:29 AM, eclectcmoi said:

I don't understand how two men want to fight over her. 

The actress is pretty enough that's no mystery to me. Missy's also pleasant and generally well-meaning, without the minefield of dark secrets that everyone else seems to have.

I think Missy and Gus seem to work reasonably well in a sanitized sort of way. Though the inlaws situation is awful enough to rule him out without the red flag of his bailing at the canceled wedding and making it look like he also blamed Missy for his grown-ass sister's decision. Cash is so immature and impulse-driven it'd be like adopting an oversized kid rather than becoming a couple with an equal partner. With him Missy keeps the same in-laws she already knows and loves, but she's part of the McMurray Family either way, so I don't see that she has much to gain.

Tucker being the villain behind everyone's financial woes is just ridiculous. I don't see how someone who runs a dinky pawn shop has so much power over this whole town (especially when the mayor is a good friend of the family he's always causing trouble for), or apparently the whole Colorado rodeo circuit. And his claim that Cash had ruined his reputation was laughable—with whom? The people who bet on one rodeo event and won money from him?

Tuff's sudden overpowering desire to go touring with Janine came out of left field, though I guess it could work if you view it as wanting to get away from the constant crises and drama at home. Is the rest of the band just waiting around for him to make this decision, or would they have to form a new one? All I can say is they better not have a storyline where Janine gets him drunk on the road and gets pregnant, or I will drop this show like a piece of lava.

• Like 2
(edited)
On 12/19/2023 at 5:59 PM, AnimeMania said:

Season One of Ride will air on the CW starting Monday, January 22, 2024 at 8pm.

I'm late to the party here - I had a ton of stuff on my DVR this past year and didn't watch this until just before they announced the cancellation!

I'm not really sure why another network would buy the episodes while announcing they have no plans for a Season 2? The only reason to do so, IMO, would be in the hopes of garnering a larger audience this time around, and the perhaps proceeding with either more eps or a movie. But what do I know?

Overall l thought the show had promise - the actors are talented and enough storylines were put out there to move forward in a variety of directions. That said, as a writer myself I would definitely have focused more on some of those storylines than others, especially in the very beginning when we were just getting familiar with the characters.

For example, they spent WAY too much time focusing on Gus' niece Sophie, who was a tertiary character at best - Gus was often seen interacting with her, and there were a loooot of minutes devoted to her getting lost on the ranch. That early in the series, we should be focused on the family's issues, not some kid that belongs to people they barely know. If at all, save that kind of story for Season 2 or later.

In regard to Gus himself, the whole storyline seems pointless, as even if Cash weren't there as competition, there really couldn't be any "choosing" of Gus for Missy. For one thing, no matter how much he tries to fit in, he just really can't in the same way as Missy and her family and friends do. They come from two different worlds in terms of money and upbringing, and yeah, I know it can work sometimes, but it's super hard, and double so if you have parents like the Bookers who you know would never accept Missy as an equal. 

As for the "mystery" surrounding Austin, that was dragged on way too long, and on top of that, seems too soapish to be taken seriously. Considering how obsessed Polly seemed to be with Austin, even years after they were last together, it seems unlikely that she wouldn't have spoken up about that kid long before. (It also seems IMO the relationship was largely one-sided, as Polly spoke to Missy with love-filled eyes, but then you realize that no McMurray ever met her, not even Tuff who accompanied Austin to all the events. It's rather telling that at none of them did Austin ever introduce them, nor did he ever mention to either of his brothers that he had a girlfriend.)

Re: Austin and Missy - i really didn't get any "love vibes" from either of them, certainly not to the marriage level. IMO it was more like they grew up together and found one another comfortable and familiar. Austin knew Missy loved his mom and brothers, so he didn't have to worry about her not being ok while he was on the road; and Missy for her end would probably have married either Austin or Cash (remember at the end, when she and Cash talk, she tells him that she married his brother "because he asked".) Honestly, Austin in his flashbacks came off to me as rather self-centered, probably because he was treated like a superstar for so long, and more in love with bull riding than any actual woman. Referring again to Polly, she seemed more of an answer to physical needs than anything emotional.

Poor Isabel really didn't get any personal storylines except for worrying about her kids and dealing with horrible billionaires until literally the last couple episodes, when the vet or whoever (Cody?) asked her on a "date" eating the leftover wedding food. It seemed clear that he's a fairly quiet guy and probably didnt know how to move forward, but was definitely interested in spending more time with her. That would have been nice to see. Nancy Travis is such a good actress. 

And as a random parting thought - considering the McMurrays were constantly complaining about their financial problems, why didn't Missy move into the main house and they could rent out the other place? It seems like a very easy way of making quick money without much effort.

Sorry so long! That'll teach me to summarize once a season...

Edited by SnarkySheep