Type keyword(s) to search

[KNOWN BUG] Topic shows unread content when there is none

• Start Topic

From a closed thread in the Fixed section, describing the second of two similar bugs (this second one being the only one I've personally encountered; and for quite some time, but now that it's marked as fixed, I want to chime in, as it isn't):

Also, if there is any new content, when you enter that page and get to the bottom, you may see the option for "Next unread topic." Often, when you click on that, it takes you to a new page that says there is no new activity.

This still happens.  In fact, it just happened in this Bugs, Questions, Suggestions forum.  There were only two unread topics, but at the bottom of the second was the "Next Unread Topic" option.  Clicking on it, of course, just leads to an error page saying there is no unread content.  (Update: Since that post, it has happened in two other forums, which is more frequent than is typical.) 

Edited by Bastet
34 minutes ago, SilverStormm said:

When did you last mark the site read?

The entire site?  Never.

I'll do that after I'm finished reading today, and let you know if the problem persists after that, thanks.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Bastet said:

The entire site?  Never.

I'll do that after I'm finished reading today, and let you know if the problem persists after that, thanks.

Marked the site read this afternoon, came back this evening to post in the Jeopardy! forum, and it happened again there -- after I posted in the current season's thread, it gave me the Next Unread Topic option, but there wasn't actually another topic with unread content, so I got the "Sorry" message.

Not sure if bug research is on hold pending resolution of the theme issues, but if you’re still researching this:

I’ve been seeing this issue more and more lately. And the shows in question will be in bold on my homepage, despite no new posts. Current examples include Not Dead Yet and Grey’s Anatomy. So far, marking the forum read seems to fix it for that show, but it just happens again for other shows. (Related: Safari/iPhone still doesn’t prompt for confirmation before marking a forum read.)

I know there’s a suggestion that marking the entire site read should fix this, but I don’t want to do that - there are threads I want to leave unread until I can catch up with the shows. 

• Like 2

Is this back on the to-do list? Still seems to be happening multiple times a day. I don’t want to keep bugging you if it’s not a priority at the moment, but let us know if more examples would be helpful. 

FWIW, Ted Lasso forum is a repeat offender.  Multiple times a day now.  Marking the forum read clears it up for a while.  Seems like anytime there's a new post, the "unread" status sticks again.

Edited by SoMuchTV
adding example of a repeat offender
25 minutes ago, SilverStormm said:

We've just upgraded to the latest release not long ago. Fingers crossed it has resolved this issue, but if not, the April release should definitely do so. Please let me know if it's still happening for you, thanks.

For me it’s definitely not resolved. In fact it seems worse in the last few days.  Unless by “not long ago” you mean in the last couple of hours. 

I see I’m not the only one who sees the issue on Ted Lasso. 

So you're saying that if it's not fixed now, we need to wait until the April update?  So you don't need any new examples, right?  (Like the other poster, I'm still seeing this on Ted Lasso and Not Dead Yet, among others.)

I'm just going to throw one more thing out there and then I'll stop bugging you.  In mid-January (shortly after the updates), I first saw this "unread" glitch on the Quantum Leap 2022 forum.  This is the PM exchange I had with the mod there (secnarf) - edited to just include the relevant bits:

Me: You're the mod for this ^^ forum, right?  Is there something odd going on with it?  It keeps showing up on my home page in bold (meaning there posts I haven't read), but when I open the forum, it's showing no threads with unread posts.  

Mod: With the new forum update there have been some changes in the background that can affect new posts. I did put through the next episode thread - can you let me know if that fixes the problem or not?

Me: after I opened your new thread, the “unread” status on the forum went away. I don’t know what exactly fixed things but it looks like it’s back to normal.  

Mod:  Thanks for letting me know! I am glad it was fixed. I will bring it up with the rest of the mods also to see if we can prevent that in the future.

This makes me think that she was aware of something & how to fix it.  Maybe it's totally unrelated and/or maybe you already know about it and whatever she did no longer works.  Feel free to ignore if that's not helpful.

Edited by SoMuchTV
@#$%^ typo!
On 3/3/2023 at 1:00 PM, SilverStormm said:

Yup, per this post, the theme has reverted back to a previous one temporarily, which has borked some stuff temporarily. Normal service will resume once the theme issue is resolved.

4 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

So you're saying that if it's not fixed now, we need to wait until the April update?  So you don't need any new examples, right?  (Like the other poster, I'm still seeing this on Ted Lasso and Not Dead Yet, among others.)

I'm just going to throw one more thing out there and then I'll stop bugging you.  In mid-January (shortly after the updates), I first saw this "unread" glitch on the Quantum Leap 2022 forum.  This is the PM exchange I had with the mod there (secnarf) - edited to just include the relevant bits:

This makes me think that she was aware of something & how to fix it.  Maybe it's totally unrelated and/or maybe you already know about it and whatever she did no longer works.  Feel free to ignore if that's not helpful.

As per my post quoted above, if the March release didn't resolve this, then we're expecting the April one to do that. In the meantime, please try marking the forum read as that is the only way to know for sure if it's fixed or not.

26 minutes ago, SilverStormm said:

As per my post quoted above, if the March release didn't resolve this, then we're expecting the April one to do that. In the meantime, please try marking the forum read as that is the only way to know for sure if it's fixed or not.

Yes I'm definitely marking the forum as read and that fixes it until the next time.  As for marking the entire site as read, I'm not willing to do that, as I have things out there I want to leave as unread until I'm ready to get to them.  I'm fine with waiting till April but just want to make sure you have the info you need.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

As for marking the entire site as read, I'm not willing to do that, as I have things out there I want to leave as unread until I'm ready to get to them. 

You're probably not missing anything; I tried that on three separate occasions and it never worked.  Hopefully next month's update will finally eliminate this bug.

• Useful 1

I know this is on the back burner but I'm also seeing "Grand Crew" with this issue.  So it seems to be consistent for me - Grand Crew, Not Dead Yet, & Ted Lasso.  Not sure if that helps with anything.

and now Survivor seems to have the same issue. Not expecting an immediate fix, just posting here so all the problem shows are in one place. 

Editing 3/25 - now Not Dead Yet and Ted Lasso seem to be "fixed", but SNL now has the issue.  The error when you try to go to "next unread" is Error code: 2S136/J

Curious if this is just me and a handful of people, or across the board.

Edited by SoMuchTV
updating post with what I'm currently seeing

I saw this was reported by others and resolved back in February, but it's happening for me now.

On the forum home page under "Your TV Shows", the Survivor forum is marked yellow, whether there is actual unread content or not. If I mark the Survivor forum as read, it goes away. But then, after actual new content appears that I read, it goes back to being yellow on the home page, even after refreshing, logging out and back in, closing the page, etc. Survivor is really the only show I'm currently following that has sub-threads, so it's the only one I'm noticing this with. Other shows that are a single thread do not have this issue.

Hope I explained that clearly. My first bug reporting!

Edited by tracyscott76
Adding that it happens when I log out

Yep, this is a known issue. Currently all you can do is mark the forum read, unless marking the site read is something you're happy to do. However, we're labouring under the impression that the next software maintenance release in April will resolve this issue.

Ok, thank you. I do mark the whole site read every so often, but I can live with it otherwise. Not anything for me to lose sleep over, just wanted to be sure you knew it was still happening - which you do!

Adding my 2¢ - It's happening for me in the "Picard" forum.  In addition to the yellow rectangle, sometimes, when there IS unread content and I read it, beneath the post is "Next Unread Topic..." - I click on that, and I get "Sorry, there is no unread content."  I get that in both the Jeopardy! and Picard forums. 

Do we know when in April?

THANKS for all you do!

Just letting you know that the issue seems to have gone away (or been fixed by you)! Survivor forum now shows as read on the home page after I've seen all unread content, without having to mark it read 👍

On 3/25/2023 at 10:54 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

Adding my 2¢ - It's happening for me in the "Picard" forum.  In addition to the yellow rectangle, sometimes, when there IS unread content and I read it, beneath the post is "Next Unread Topic..." - I click on that, and I get "Sorry, there is no unread content."  I get that in both the Jeopardy! and Picard forums. 

Do we know when in April?

THANKS for all you do!

I don't have an exact date yet, sorry.

This is still happening to me. Some of the forums where it was happening regularly are now no longer airing episodes, so it's not happening as much, but it is definitely still happening (just happened on the Married at First Sight forum).

(edited)

I’ve only noticed this with Outlander ,  but after I’ve read all posts in the the threads, Forum still stays yellow to indicate unread threads/posts. It’s happened twice now in the past two days and I have to mark the forum read to make the yellow disappear.

Only noticed it on my phone, though.

Safari/iOS 16.5/iPhone 

ETA: Still happening with this show’s forum. Glitch or Bug?

Turns out it's not just an issue from my phone. Same problem exists on the PC as well. And it's only for this show.

Windows 10/PC/Google Chrome.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule

Checking in again a month later.

Same problem, but only with Outlander forum. While other forums have a "see next page" and get a "sorry, no new items to see", I don't have to go back to the main page and hit "mark read" to clear it, like I do for the Outlander forum.

No new update currently. We're aware of the cause but unfortunately, do not have a fix for this at the moment. Currently all you can do is mark the forum read, unless marking the site read is something you're happy to do. We're still awaiting a fix.

Aka this is on the list but not at the top.

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, SilverStormm said:

No new update currently. We're aware of the cause but unfortunately, do not have a fix for this at the moment. Currently all you can do is mark the forum read, unless marking the site read is something you're happy to do. We're still awaiting a fix.

Aka this is on the list but not at the top.

Thanks. I was hoping it would be something that could be fixed with a "patch" like the others. But I'll continue to mark the forum read. It's just very odd it's the only forum. Well, the only one among all the others I watch and post in.

Well, hey.  I hadn’t seen this happening recently, but just now it’s happening on The After Party. Maybe a coincidence, but the new season just dropped yesterday so maybe it’s just now becoming more active. 

Not sure if it’s helping anything to keep giving current examples - sounds like you already have a handle on the cause?

The Multi Quote and Quote buttons are not functioning. I've signed out and signed back in - same issue. Wonky things have been happening since the ad banner started appearing at the bottom of the screen

On the general rules page - suggestion is to clear cache - how do I clear my cache on this site?

Thank you

On 7/12/2023 at 1:49 PM, SilverStormm said:

Thanks and yep, we're aware of the cause.

I know this is an ongoing issue, but just wanted to let you know that it's happening on more forums and shows--that I'll see the "next unread topic" only to have no new posts. Except for the issue with the Outlander Forum, these threads/forums will gray out so I know there are no new posts and I don't have to click the Mark forum or thread as read to "clear it".

• Useful 1
28 minutes ago, Lois Sandborne said:

This has happened to me today for pretty much every forum I follow. I stopped checking after about a dozen, but they're all showing new posts and taking me to content from last year.

Sorry to say that this is an unfortunate byproduct of an forums update that was made earlier today.