Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E18: Teacher Appreciation

• Start Topic

On 3/10/2023 at 11:17 AM, HappyBerry said:

I like Mr. Johnson, but this episode was definitely one where I went "oh no, he's been Flanderized".

I know what you mean.

They've already asked us to believe that Ava is a marketing genius who has a huge social media following, lots of side hustles, and a famous NBA-player boyfriend, who inexplicably cares deeply about keeping a job as the principal of an underfunded elementary school.

And now Mr. Johnson is an equally mythical figure, the janitor who's sitting on a fortune and has an extraordinary life outside of school.

I could maybe suspend disbelief for one character, but not both.

Jacob said "less teachers" versus "fewer teachers." Eh, I don't think teachers would make that mistake, at least not ones with college educations. And then Mr. Johnson double-downed on it with "less moms" instead of fewer. Oy, it hurt my ears.

I see Ayesha and Janine as two sides of the same slightly misforged coin. We really do need to meet the mom because she must be a whole different type of a lot.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Jacob said "less teachers" versus "fewer teachers." Eh, I don't think teachers would make that mistake, at least not ones with college educations. And then Mr. Johnson double-downed on it with "less moms" instead of fewer. Oy, it hurt my ears.

I see Ayesha and Janine as two sides of the same slightly misforged coin. We really do need to meet the mom because she must be a whole different type of a lot.

Unfortunately I have heard my Assistant Principal use the phrase "Me and Him" more than once....

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 2
  • LOL 1
6 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Oh my gosh, that really got on my nerves! I yelled "FEWER!" at my TV both times. That's a pretty bad writing error for a show about teachers.

• Like 8

My cousin taught elementary school for 30+ years and has said over and over that Principals weren't "allowed" in the break room.  It was just a fact of life, not written anywhere as far as she knew.  Ava is in and out which is fine with me.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
12 hours ago, irisheyes said:

I love how the $50 Buffalo Wild Wings card joke continued through the whole episode. And Barbara’s face when she found out Mr. Johnson won the gift card!  🤣🤣

Particularly given that if there is one chain that I just can NOT see Ms. Barbara enjoying (well maybe Hooters), it is Buffalo Wild Wings. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, irisheyes said:

I love how the $50 Buffalo Wild Wings card joke continued through the whole episode. And Barbara’s face when she found out Mr. Johnson won the gift card!  🤣🤣

For all that is holy, will someone please give Mrs. Barbara Howard her $50.00 Buffalo Wild Wings gift card!!!

• Like 3
On 3/12/2023 at 5:33 PM, incandescent said:

Whether her motivations were selfish or not, I have a lot admiration for people like Ayesha who can rip off the bandaid and leave a crappy situation like the one the girls' mom fostered.

Agreed. Though I absolutely understand Janine's feelings, I got no problem with Ayesha walking away. I think this storyline is really interesting. I like that the show is portraying it as neither is the bad guy. They both have their valid grievances and they're both being slightly unreasonable about certain aspects. It's very true to life to me. I do feel like we need to see their mom to really add perspective to why Ayesha and Janine are way they are. I imagine that will be quite illuminating.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, prunellaboyd said:

Totally! I'm totally with you on this one. I can see where Janine is coming from, but at the same time, I can understand why Ayesha felt like she needed to walk away. I think it's great that the show is showing both sides of the story and not trying to make one person the villain.
And yeah, I'm really curious to see what their mom is like and how she played into all of this. I think it will add a lot of context to their behavior and motivations. I have a theory about what she's like or what might have happened in their past that is hidden, but it's so weird that I'm even hesitating to post it here...

I'm hoping Janine and Ayesha's mom is introduced either later this season or sometime next season. I think learning about her and how she raised both her daughters will explain a lot. And is their father still in the picture?

• Like 3