Type keyword(s) to search

Beyond Paradise - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Why was the house on the beach looking like it was abandoned.  Neville lives there doesn't he?

I love DIP, but have had a hard time warming up to Beyond Paradise.  I'm not wild about the Martha character.

• Like 4
On 4/2/2023 at 11:36 PM, laredhead said:

I love DIP, but have had a hard time warming up to Beyond Paradise.  I'm not wild about the Martha character.

I totally agree. I had been excited for the new show, but it's not clicking for me. I liked Martha in her DIP episodes, but here isn't working. I didn't like the IVF storyline because it seemed so heavy and out of the blue. Her mother is awful. 

• Like 3

Overall, I liked the show and hope it gets another season. I liked Martha during her episodes on DiP when Humphrey was the DI, but I don't think she fits as well here. For one thing, they're still only engaged--how long has it been since Humphrey gave up his dream job on Saint Marie to follow his true love back to England? I thought they would have been married by now. Also, like someone else stated, I thought/hoped Martha would be helping Humphrey from the sidelines to talk through/solve some, if not all, of his police cases. Instead, we had all sorts of issues designed to tear apart the couple and wreak havoc on their happiness (the baby/IVF issue, Humphrey's boat purchase using their joint savings, Martha's relatives not sure if Humphrey's "the right one" for Martha, the cafe start up and partnership with ex-bf/fiance) -- too many soap opera-ish problems piled on together. I did like that they finally got back together during their separate, hurried trips to Saint Marie.

I did enjoy the cases especially as these weren't the typical "murder-of-the-week" cases--we had more typical small town/village crimes that needed Humphrey's brand of sorting out and connecting clues to figure out whodunit. The small police unit was good, even the crusty civilian admin finally came around to liking/respecting Humphrey and his quirky behavior. I also liked that Humphrey was very encouraging and complimentary to Kelby (name?), the young uniformed officer.

• Like 6
15 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

This has been renewed for a second season.  It will have a Christmas special as well. I hope they figure out what they want to be in the second season.  

I'm glad they're getting a 2nd chance with another season, but I also hope they cut out most, if not all, the multiple issues of home life drama. 

• Like 3
(edited)

I'm glad it was renewed because the mysteries are good. But the personal drama SUCKED. That resolution was terrible for Humphry and Martha. They really did the character of Martha a disservice by bringing in the Archie story. If they HAD to do the melodrama (and I don't agree they did have to lol), they should have just focused on her feelings over the miscarriage and infertility. Throwing in the Archie stuff just took the focus off of her feelings and honestly made her look selfish when she broke up with Humphry ("tell me how you really feel! Then, I can turn around and use it as an excuse to stab you in the heart!") It was just bad. 

I liked the police team and the fact that the mysteries were not all murders but they were twisty and mostly well written. I'm looking forward to the return for more of that!

Edited by Maren
Spelling!
  • Like 4

I learned Jamie Bamber (Archie) is married to the actress who plays Martha which might explain why Archie even exists. I thought he was fine but it was unnecessary angst on top of the IVF stuff.  I don't think having Humphrey start a fight with him was all that flattering to Hump either.  

• Like 2

Door County Cherry, Jamie Bamber is married to Kerry Norton.  The actress who plays Martha is Sally Bretton.  I hope that Season 2 does away with a lot of the side drama that was in Season 1.  I want to see more detective work, a few murders, and more of the gorgeous scenery where the series is filmed.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
On 4/2/2023 at 3:11 PM, dariafan said:

So green screened I thought it was a dream sequence   But i did love the use of the death in paradise theme at the end 

I think what we were seeing is what the DIP sets look like when the show isn't filming - particularly Catherine's bar looked very odd and kind of shabby in the wide shot.

Edited by WildPlum
typo

Since I already have too many streaming services, I decided to buy the DVD set of Beyond Paradise.  I enjoyed it somewhat since I like the Humphrey character, but the stories were kind of low-key.  I will say, though that the location filming in Looe, Cornwall was to die for.  I went on You Tube and checked out some walking tours of the area and the places are simply stunning.  The place looks so gorgeous that I seriously want to visit there.

• Like 2
(edited)

No one's enthralled with Beyond Paradise, and I agree.  However, let's hear it for Dylan Llewellyn as Kelby.  He's a breath of fresh air and I'm always happy when he appears in a scene. 

Edited by Height-Nonchalance
  • Like 1
On 3/3/2024 at 12:00 PM, Height-Nonchalance said:

No one's enthralled with Beyond Paradise, and I agree.  However, let's hear it for Dylan Llewellyn as Kelby.  He's a breath of fresh air and I'm always happy when he appears in a scene. 

We enjoyed it very much but we love Humphrey! 

• Like 2

I've watched the first two episodes of the new season and must admit I actually enjoyed the episodes for the most part and certainly more than last season.   I can find the bit about Martha's mom and her online dating as a humourous break but I don't like the part about Martha and Humphrey's journey to be foster parents for I'd rather concentrate on the mysteries.

Maybe I didn't pay enough attention to Humphrey but this season I find he looks terriibly thin - maybe it's just the clothes?.

• Like 1
On 3/3/2024 at 10:00 AM, Height-Nonchalance said:

It's certainly a far cry from his role as the only male Derry Girl.

derry girls.webp

• Like 2
(edited)

Episode 2x01 - I really enjoyed this season opener. The mystery was good, and I loved how the Shipton Abbott team worked together to solve it. I sort of knew Kirby's case would intersect with the main mystery. The resolution to the mystery was so heartbreaking. I felt terrible for that poor mother and father.

Hard to believe, but this show is growing on me.

Edited by wanderingstar
  • Like 1
On 3/30/2024 at 6:45 AM, abbyzenn said:

but I don't like the part about Martha and Humphrey's journey to be foster parents for I'd rather concentrate on the mysteries.

Why don't they get married already? What is preventing that? They are engaged right? or did they just decide to live together? I'm not sure I remember anymore!

• Like 1
On 4/9/2024 at 9:37 PM, wanderingstar said:

Hard to believe, but this show is growing on me.

I am enjoying this 2nd season more than the first, especially since the small police force has really gelled into a cohesive team, plus Humphrey and Martha are interacting more so as true members of the community. 

• Like 6

I want to know why they aren't getting married? They are engaged, she wears a ring, but I never hear them planning a wedding, only trying to get a child.

9 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

I want to know why they aren't getting married? They are engaged, she wears a ring, but I never hear them planning a wedding, only trying to get a child.

I get you don't have to be married to have a child, but they are so focused on having a child, why not get married too? 

(edited)

I seem to remember Martha's mom being kind of awful last season--especially to Humphrey--but I really don't like how the two of them are treating her this season. Spying on Anne and lecturing her about who she dates is annoying, but I hate how they're essentially forcing her to go along with their lie about living in her house. She did eventually say she might like living on the boat, but how much choice did she have at that point when Martha and Humphrey had already sold the story to the social worker and backtracking afterwards might result in them not getting approved. I have personal experience with family overstepping/outstaying their welcome, so this probably bothers me more than it does most. Ugh. Anyway, it's always good to see Peter Davison. He and Barbara Flynn have nice chemistry.

Edited by krankydoodle
  • Useful 1

Episode 2x04 - I'm really enjoying the show this season. Every cozy mystery has to have an episode set at a boarding school* so I guess this is BP's. Liked the way the mystery unfolded. I'm loving the way the Shipton Abbott team has coalesced. Shame on Anne's beau for misleading her. For her to find out he's married by meeting his wife is just...ugh!

*And a magic show, and an amateur theatre group, and a town festival, etc.

On 4/15/2024 at 12:44 PM, dgpolo said:

On 4/15/2024 at 12:54 PM, libgirl2 said:

I get you don't have to be married to have a child, but they are so focused on having a child, why not get married too? 

Even though I find her to be rather cold, I think I understand her reticence to say the vows. She’s taxed out from the attempts to get pregnant, and worried they’ll end up hating/blaming each other. She’s much more relaxed and happy this season, now that the pressure is off. Who knows? Maybe the season will end in a wedding. I agree, they’re involving themselves in the community more and that community is the main reason I’ve come to love this show as much as DiP-the quirky inhabitants!

• Like 2

I finished series 2, and it remains underwhelming.  Final episode has a decent part for Kelby, but Martha and Anne remain idiots, Humphrey is just along for the ride (hardly a lead role), and the foster child bit serves no purpose. 

I see the show has been renewed for a third series; I'll return as long as Kelby remains, but with indifference for the rest.

Edited by Height-Nonchalance
  • Like 1
(edited)
On 5/9/2024 at 4:55 PM, Height-Nonchalance said:

but Martha and Anne remain idiots

I agree, their parts might have had better writing. However, in season 2 Martha has moved out of herself, engaging with all around her. She’s made friends in the community, apart from Humphrey, advised younger employees, and in general, begun to look toward a positive future. Her mom is finding her way in a new world, having recently been bereft, then experienced an unfortunate “first foray” into dating. I agree, also, that Kelby is the main draw for the target demographic and I thoroughly enjoy seeing him grow and succeed. I love this new vehicle for DiP, because of the ensemble characters, the setting, and the lighthearted fare. Unfortunately, I seem to be alone, as this isn’t a very popular forum, but I’m here till it ceases.

Edited by Daff
  • Like 2