Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: Party Like A Guac Star

DanaK
  • Start Topic

I could never do a competition like this, even off camera. Harder meals can take me 1 1/2 to 2 hours and except for really simple meals, I need a recipe to guide me. Plus for this particular meal, I don’t like spicy so dialing up on the spice would have been difficult

57 minutes ago, mertensia said:

That one guy had never heard of tamales? They're wrapped in corn husks.

Not hard to believe.  There are folks who pretty much only pay attention to certain foods/cuisines and don't go out of their comfort zone to try other cuisines.

6 hours ago, milkyaqua said:

There are folks who pretty much only pay attention to certain foods/cuisines and don't go out of their comfort zone to try other cuisines.

As is their right. But what are they doing on cooking competition shows?

• Like 4

All the social media "chefs" had me shaking my proverbial cane. I was sure the woman who was crying in all her THs would be the one who went home but the show tricked me. A little concerned about how scattered the ICU doc was--I guess his skills are quite specific and his ability to focus did not transfer.

I could never be on this show, what with all the shrieking. Dial it back, all of you! Shrieking in the elevator, yelling at the cooks while they bring their food to the center thing, yelling during the final challenge... I would need earplugs.

• Like 3
20 hours ago, jcbrown said:

All the social media "chefs" had me shaking my proverbial cane. I was sure the woman who was crying in all her THs would be the one who went home but the show tricked me. A little concerned about how scattered the ICU doc was--I guess his skills are quite specific and his ability to focus did not transfer.

I could never be on this show, what with all the shrieking. Dial it back, all of you! Shrieking in the elevator, yelling at the cooks while they bring their food to the center thing, yelling during the final challenge... I would need earplugs.

I second all of that.  I liked the doctor but he was out of his element.  Any woman who cries about everything is on my hate list so I hope she goes next.  

All the shrieking reminded me of the Kids Baking Championship.  I'd like to think that adults behave a little more, um, adult but I know that's far from the truth.  I think the producers of almost every quiz show and competition tell contestants to amp it up.  

I missed the first episode.  Did they say how tall that one guy is?  I'm just curious.  Most of the men in my family are well over 6 feet and he looks like he'd tower over them.

• Like 2
On 2/17/2023 at 8:02 PM, kirklandia said:

As is their right. But what are they doing on cooking competition shows?

That's a good question but I've been seeing it more and more lately on cooking competitions.  It seems like they used to recruit people with a broader knowledge of food, but now they seem to accept more people that are only acquainted with certain a specific cuisine or cuisines and are pretty much clueless about most others.  I've even seen this on Top Chef where the cast are all professional chefs.  I'm a home cook myself but I've seen professional chefs on these shows scratch their heads at some of the most elementary things.  Maybe they're having trouble finding more well-rounded cooks?

Also I didn't realize that most or all of the people on this show were home cooks.   I watched a few episodes last season but don't remember if that was the case.  I don't really remember too much about it, to be honest.  I thought the show was gimmicky last year, but somehow this year it isn't bothering me quite so much, at least not yet.  Maybe I'm just more willing to compromise this year than last because there's so little good on anymore.  We'll see if I last longer this time.

• Like 1
On 2/17/2023 at 8:41 PM, jcbrown said:

All the social media "chefs" had me shaking my proverbial cane.

I'm watching only because of one of the social media chefs I follow on IG and TT.  To be honest, I'm not a huge Gordon Ramsey fan, so I tend to avoid any shows he's on.  But, I figured I'd give this a try because of Shay Spence.  He graduated from the Institute of Culinary Education, worked with Rachael Ray, and was People Magazine's Food Editor for six years.  So, he seems much more qualified than the home cooks.

So, one rule that I think I didn't realize in the first episode:  apparently they have to use everything they take as part of their dish...?  

• Like 1
11 hours ago, MMLEsq said:

I'm watching only because of one of the social media chefs I follow on IG and TT.  To be honest, I'm not a huge Gordon Ramsey fan, so I tend to avoid any shows he's on.  But, I figured I'd give this a try because of Shay Spence.  He graduated from the Institute of Culinary Education, worked with Rachael Ray, and was People Magazine's Food Editor for six years.  So, he seems much more qualified than the home cooks.

So, one rule that I think I didn't realize in the first episode:  apparently they have to use everything they take as part of their dish...?  

Thank you for that info--I will watch for him now.

I did not realize either that they have to use everything. I guess it makes sense?

On 2/13/2023 at 8:47 PM, mertensia said:

Tucker is going to annoy me. That tongue sticking out made me want to whack her over the head with a dead trout.

It makes me want to slap her in the face with a wet kipper.  Cultural difference maybe?  😉

• LOL 2

I'm for anything involving Gordon Ramsey and Nyesha Arrington!  Richard Blais, I can tolerate. 

Huh. I follow Cassie on Tik Tok!  How worlds collide.

What annoys me is when the contestants grab something and whine about what they grabbed (or didn't grab!). I'm sure you can read what the ingredients are and not manage to grab something you may not want to work with.

Michelle! There is no crying in the kitchen!

PUT THE PLATE ON THE PLATFORM NOW!  These people move too slowly for my taste. Please don't give Nyesha a coronary!

I was rooting for Cassie. I thought she was going to hurt herself with the purple caulifower!  Alex was okay, but clearly not built for competition cooking.

I couldn’t stand the doctor (first he said ER then he said ICU, those aren’t exactly the same but I guess it doesn’t matter). Didn’t like his arrogance so I’m glad he is gone.  

I guess he had never seen corn husks before, what did he think he was going to do with them?  I loved how Nyesha asked him if he had tried eating it and had to tell him it’s not edible.

I feel like last season had more professional chefs than this season.  It seems most of these people are “home cooks” or “home chefs” meaning they just cook for their families.  I don’t care for the abundance of “social media chefs”, I didn’t really know that was a thing. 

On 2/21/2023 at 9:08 AM, MMLEsq said:

I didn’t realise that either and I can’t remember if that was the same rule in place as last season.  Another rule I am just realising… apparently you can’t share ingredients.  So if someone forgets to grab a starch or a veg… too bad.  

• Like 2

“ Mexican, Puerto Rican, we’re all the same. Latinos are Latinos.”

Except you’re not. What a ridiculous comment. You put those spicy hot dishes in a typical Costa Rican home and you’re going to get blowback because CR cuisine is mild. Argentina has a lot of Italian influence in some of their foods. Even Mexico has a variety of regional cuisine. Her comment just seemed so ignorant. 

• Like 1