Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Not Out of High School Yet

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

165592_3238-450x0.jpg

Nell is asked to write an obituary for a popular influencer with whom she has history. Elsewhere, Sam helps Dennis overcome an old fear.

Original Airdate: February 15, 2023     ABC  9:30pm   
Brittany Snow as a conceited adult social influencer 
This was originally episode 6.

• Useful 1

Only thing I can say for sure is that definitely wasn't the original 3rd episode. They have their hands in each other's mouths and Nell has a huge desk. Why are there so many people at the newspaper, no wonder they don't make any money. What, no dog, how do they expect to get a second season if they don't even include the most popular character?

That was a pretty good episode, I can see why they moved it up, but it probably would have been better if they didn't.

• LOL 1
6 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Nell has a huge desk

This has to be after she traded her office, right? She must have been given a cubicle as a replacement.

I know it was for tv but I think Nell should probably saved her insights for the obituary. If the intern were smart, he would have used some things. Or someone from another publication (this tiny newspaper can't be the only one reporting on mean girl's death if she was as popular as she seemed).

• Like 2

Well, that was kinda nice.  I did like Lexi's desk sign:  When I stop talking, the meeting is done.

The intern can go back to his closet office anytime.

I noticed in the opening sequence that this show has 17 producers, co-producers, executive producers, co-executive producers...I don't have a clue as to how TV shows work, but that was bigger that the cast.

• Mind Blown 2

Finally watched an entire episode. The show comes on at bedtime here.

On 2/16/2023 at 2:22 PM, Dowel Jones said:

Well, that was kinda nice.

If you mean the ending, yes, it was nice, albeit unrealistically nice. 
I will give this show another chance, but fart jokes? No.
And mean boss? I retired to get away from the mean boss. If this one isn't going to reveal a soft, gooey interior (like the principal on Abbott Elementary), I'm out.

I noticed in the opening sequence that this show has 17 producers, co-producers, executive producers, co-executive producers...I don't have a clue as to how TV shows work, but that was bigger that the cast.

I'm not sure, but don't most "producers" pony up money for production in hopes of getting it back in profits if its successful and, if it's not, at least getting a tax break? 
If that's close to being how it works, 17 producers sounds more like crowd sourcing to get the show up and running.

The intern can go back to his closet office anytime.

Or develop a heart of gold like the high school mean girl.

• Like 1

I found the episode to be the worst of the three aired so far.  I was looking forward to seeing Brittany Snow again but she didn't save the stupid, juvenile writing.  I also am not liking the main character very much.  I think it's the actress and her mannerisms.

• Like 4
On 2/18/2023 at 6:55 PM, CrystalBlue said:

I found the episode to be the worst of the three aired so far.  I was looking forward to seeing Brittany Snow again but she didn't save the stupid, juvenile writing.  I also am not liking the main character very much.  I think it's the actress and her mannerisms.

On 2/18/2023 at 6:55 PM, CrystalBlue said:

Don’t like her either. I watched Jane the Virgin & wished it was a different actress the whole time. Something about her physicality & acting combined is off. Never bought her as attracting these hot guys & as a virgin no less. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I have been spoiled by American Auto and Grand crew  being really good from the pilot all the way until the last episode of the season so I expect all other shows to be that way. Also I will forever compare bosses to Brianna on Grace and Frankie and the Not Dead Yet boss isn’t up to that standard yet. She is kind of close but still enough of not quite right for it to irritate me when watching. I keep thinking when she is on “ I wonder if the Brianna actress auditioned, she would have been perfect”. I am going to give it a chance to work out though. 
So far the out of order episodes aren’t messing with keeping up with what’s going on for me. I only knew because I read it here.

Two probably unpopular thoughts:

I was glad that Martin Mull was gone in the next episode. If he turns up later cool but I don’t want him in every episode. At least not as the character he played. 
I kept thinking Cricket reminded me of someone from back in sitcom history and when I read here she is Marla Gibbs daughter it clicked. I like her on the show and the way she was introduced to become a main character is believable but the uo part is I think she needs to tone down her facial expressions. Other than that I like her whole story.

I like all the bluntness from each character. That doesn’t bother me on sitcoms if it is a funny blunt.

The poppy seed was a fail. Especially since it was not limited to a one and done but continued. Who does that? It was gross the first time then gross with a  what the hell the second time. Stop and don’t come up with anything like that again.

Edited by stewedsquash
So many typos
  • Like 1
(edited)

In her final selfie, Piper was wearing a t-shirt, not the clingy red dress she was wearing throughout the episode. And I doubt that it was the outfit she was buried in (unless Martin Mull was buried in fairly casual clothing.) Or unless the ghosts get to subconsciously choose one outfit for the afterlife, with no subsequent changes.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse