Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E13: The Man of the Moment

jewel21
  • Start Topic

Firehouse 51 helps Herrmann put on a school fundraiser. Carver's troubled brother comes to town; a grateful citizen is determined to thank Brett and Severide for saving his life.

Airdate: 02/15/2023

It's Pete! (Anyone who doesn't watch Ghosts . . . should.)

OK I know Cindy was just deflecting but she shouldn't have to go over their insurance policy, that's what agents are for. Moreover, she is undoubtably covered by Christopher's insurance, and fire department unions have the best insurance and benefits in the country. 

Moreover, why isn't Christopher taking a leave of absence right now? Fire fighters get so much time off they can actually hold down second jobs. He could take off for weeks or even months at full pay. It's absurd that he's so frazzled taking kids to work and using the fire truck to pick them up after school

Also, what monsters expect the Herrmanns to still run a school fund raiser right now? They need to find another school that isn't run by heartless assholes.

Sylvie and Kelly should have asked Richie Rich Pete to donate to the school fund raiser.

Kelly can't tie a bow because bow tying is for girls!! Does he know how to tie his shoe?

Why is there always water running in the locker room scenes? Are people taking showers 24/7 even when they haven't been out on a run or even broken a sweat?

So Carver has the hots for Stella now because, well, who doesn't huh? Ugh.

• Like 6

I was rather surprised that the show didn't use 'Chekov's Pulley Rigging System' somewhere in the second half.  They made a big point of Carver setting it up.  

Poor Capp.  "How did the 'Self Care Basket' do?"  Hermann - "Yeah, I'll have to check on that."  Oof.

A big round of applause to the offscreen folks at Med.  Guy comes in with a through and through arrow in his neck, with all those vital organs, and he leaves the next day with two band aids.  /s 

That was a good laugh when Brett sees the new cell phone and says "But my screen is broken."  Meanwhile, delivery guy says to himself, "I'll just forge some signatures here and take these two cell phones, thank you very much."  Hey, it is Chicago, after all.

40 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

He could take off for weeks or even months at full pay.

He would need enough accumulated vacation days/holidays to cover his shift.  Even at 12 days a month, he could burn through that in a hurry.  He could work day off trades with other shifts, but that means he's on duty for longer stretches, so he has to plan it out.

That was quite the setup down in that grease pit.  Normally the company officer stays separate from the incident and directs her crew to do the work, but, obviously, they got to bump uglies down there to set up future draaaama.  Especially after Carver tells Severide "You're one lucky guy."

• Like 2

It's Pete! (Anyone who doesn't watch Ghosts . . . should.)

What? Where? Who? How did I miss this?

You missed the guy with the arrow through his neck? 😉

He would need enough accumulated vacation days/holidays to cover his shift.  Even at 12 days a month, he could burn through that in a hurry.  He could work day off trades with other shifts, but that means he's on duty for longer stretches, so he has to plan it out.

They get so many sick days and vacation days and non-work days (I kid you not, that's an actual thing) they can go a whole month without ever going to work and still get full pay. I roomed with a firefighter once, I know. It was sort of annoying.

Edited by iMonrey
On 2/16/2023 at 8:20 AM, iMonrey said:

It's absurd that he's so frazzled taking kids to work and using the fire truck to pick them up after school

Why is that allowed?  Doesn't he have a car?

Why do all TV shows have bratty teenagers?  Christopher's two teenagers were so rude and annoying.  

• Like 2
On 2/16/2023 at 11:20 AM, iMonrey said:

It's Pete! (Anyone who doesn't watch Ghosts . . . should.)

Too bad Ghosts is a CBS show. That could have been much more fun.  But if things had gone south, imagine spending eternity in a dingy Chicago storefront building? Shudder.

Kelly can't tie a bow because bow tying is for girls!! Does he know how to tie his shoe?

On 2/16/2023 at 12:05 PM, Dowel Jones said:

I was rather surprised that the show didn't use 'Chekov's Pulley Rigging System' somewhere in the second half.  They made a big point of Carver setting it up.  

So the guy in charge of rigging on a Heavy Rescue can't tie a bow in a ribbon. That's encouraging.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
5 hours ago, DonnaMae said:

Why is that allowed?  Doesn't he have a car?

Herman is on shift and could get called out at anytime. What happens if the Engine has to go to a scene and the lieutenant is blocks away in a personal vehicle? 

I used to work in a grocery store near a fire station and would see the guys come in for food. They always came together and with their truck or engine. And more than once they’d abandon a half full cart if their radios went off.

Makes total sense that errands get run with the vehicle and all team members on board.

Edited by anna0852
  • Like 4
  • Useful 2

Sylvie and Kelly should have asked Richie Rich Pete to donate to the school fund raiser.

They did.  At the end, he donated enough that they can have their PE program back.

However, in this day and age, isn't PE one of the last things to be cut?  So just how poor IS this school??

3 hours ago, jcbrown said:

The thing I did not understand was that last rescue seemed like a Squad job, which is not SuperStella, right? So why was her team doing it instead of Squad?

I thought that too, but I realized it was set up so that Carver could cross against Stella, foreshadowing plot complications.

• Like 1

I didn't understand Stella complaining to Kelly about Carver's comment.  Work is a workplace, its not your family.  They can't force that down someone's throat and kick them out if they don't comply.  So he wants to be left alone, as long as he's got his fellow firefighter's back in an emergency, just let him be.  Sheez.

And for all the talk of 'girls on fire' why are the only women on the show, besides her goodness, paramedics?  Unless it's supposed to be a realistic proportion of actual firehouse jobs.  Like the few people of color on the job in a city the size of Chicago.

• Like 3
On 2/16/2023 at 6:20 PM, iMonrey said:

It's Pete! (Anyone who doesn't watch Ghosts . . . should.)...

So Carver has the hots for Stella now because, well, who doesn't huh? Ugh.

That's exactly what I thought and Carver's had the hots for Stella for a few episodes now.

I cheered when Carver said that it was a workplace and not a family - FINALLY someone said it (I'm so sick of all this "we're family" at the workplace rubbish) but, of course, Carver is wrong for not wanting to be joined at the hip with these people. 

• Like 1