Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E07: Red Flag After Red Flag

• Start Topic

I’m almost ashamed to admit it, but I really like Mike. I hope he stays straight. 

But I’ve been burned before by these convicts. (Shocking.)

ETA: I literally laughed out loud when Travis tells crazycryer she’s the hottest person at the pool and the editors cut to show no one else is at the pool. 

Edited by DanaMB
  • Like 3
  • LOL 8
18 minutes ago, DanaMB said:

I’m almost ashamed to admit it, but I really like Mike. I hope he stays straight. 

But I’ve been burned before by these convicts. (Shocking.)

They haven't shown them much.  I don't think I've seen dirt on them.  I've never owned a business, but I can sympathize a bit that she was unprepared for economic downturn.   Still, that clearing out in 15 days, leaving your stuff by the side of the road, all because her landlord didn't want ex-cons in his house begs a lot of questions for me.  Something doesn't quite add up.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

No one should hit or put their hands on anyone EVER!  (man or woman)

We need to discuss how she calmly asked him to leave (listen carefully to her word choices here)…. Have we seen her calmly ask him to do literally ANYTHING since she had been introduced on this show? Her retelling of events to shape the narrative of this and to make herself seem less culpable of her part in the situation doesn’t sit right with me sorry ..(it’s like beating a animal then blaming the animal and making it SOLELY it’s fault for attacking you, you had a part in this ) it was the smug look of glee as she was recounting what happened and how he is now in jail begging for her to drop the charges that made my skin crawl she likes the control she gets off on it it seems like 

Like her excuse for her DUI just being in the wrong place at the wrong time bullshit, trying to minimize WHAT her part in it was and ignoring her well actually drinking and being DRUNK behind the wheel but also doing 80 in a 30 or whatever and fleeing a cop after the stop  etc etc .. she’s playing the innocent doe eyed I’m just a little girl who did nothing routine and that’s super messed up and I think that really needs to be talked about  

(we have seen this behavior on this show before from people. Remember Lacy and her if you don’t do what I want I’ll call the cops and have you arrested cause they will believe whatever I tell them talking points in fights) 

Recap should he be in jail for assaulting her 100%  I’m not excusing that he should have walked away or done 100 other things.. just pointing out she’s trying to erase her part in the whole situation they BOTH need to be off my tv forever 

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Like 9
  • Applause 2
11 hours ago, anoninrva said:

They haven't shown them much.  I don't think I've seen dirt on them.  I've never owned a business, but I can sympathize a bit that she was unprepared for economic downturn.   Still, that clearing out in 15 days, leaving your stuff by the side of the road, all because her landlord didn't want ex-cons in his house begs a lot of questions for me.  Something doesn't quite add up.

Yeah I think she was several months behind on the rent.  A landlord doesn’t get to keep the security deposit and two months rent just because you moved in a felon.  And evictions take a long time if courts and sheriffs are involved.  Surprised they didn’t ask the handyman neighbor if they could stay at his place.  As both these guys supposedly want her it would set up some more conflict. 

Edited by MrBuhBye
  • Like 8
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, Keywestclubkid said:

Recap should he be in jail for assaulting her 100%  I’m not excusing that he should have walked away or done 100 other things.. just pointing out she’s trying to erase her part in the whole situation they BOTH need to be off my tv forever 

I have a feeling it was mutual combat.  Also I would like to know what bones were allegedly broken and how many teeth were supposedly knocked out.

Just now, Gobi said:

I wonder if they had to get the landlord's permission to film on the property?

I thought it was weird that she appeared to be quitting the show when she needs money and she was presumably being paid to be on it.  Also later when she was telling him to go make so money.  Honey, if your business failed you need to go out and get a job.  There is a shortage of employees virtually everywhere.  But it requires working not hanging around flea markets and pools.

• Like 6

From outside reporting, video, and police reports, Gabby was physically assaulted by Chris resulting in a broken tooth and a fracture near the eye socket. These are confirmed.  While Gabby comes off as a heinous person, no one deserves to be physically beaten by their partner.  No one. 

Posts are veering toward she deserved it or she instigated it.  Regardless of how she asked/told him to leave, it does not excuse the assault. There is video of him assaulting her over the course of two hours in their apartment; she was unable to leave. If he found her disrespectful or out of line, he could have left.  If she hit him, he had the right to defend, not to attack.  

Please tread lightly with your comments.  Regardless of your feelings toward Gabby, she was assaulted to a degree that caused real physical harm.  Watch your comments. Making light of or excusing domestic abuse causes collateral damage to other posters. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1

A long time ago UPS went on strike and the local news (LA) had a segment where they interviewed a family who was 'affected terribly by the strike'. The husband was a driver. Their electricity had been cut off, they were being evicted, and they had to go to the food bank. All because of this strike. My husband worked as a driver for UPS too. And I knew for a fact that they had not lost even one paycheck at that time. Amazing so much chaos!  Obviously they had serious problems long before any strike. And the strike resolved pretty quickly so I doubt it affected them at all really.

This is how I side eye Ashley. Now, it's possible that more time has passed on the show than we've been led to believe. But it is also pretty clear that she has been in deep financial trouble for a long time (pandemic time I believe she said) and that none of this was sudden. Although it is quite possible, under differing state laws to get evicted with fifteen days notice and to have the sheriffs involved if the tenant has not opposed the eviction. I lived my whole life in California and the thirty day/sixty day rules applied and I assumed that was standard. Then I moved to Oregon and saw fifteen day rules. It still alarms me and I have no reason to be worried about it yet...Fifteen days. Yikes! 

You can prolong your staying if you respond to the eviction notice but if you do nothing then the landlord can enforce it and have the sheriffs pull you out and the landlord can lock the door and remove your belongings. So it tracks for me, as long as she did nothing. Ashley seems frankly like the kind of person who would crumble and not respond to an eviction notice legally. She lives in fantasyland and displays magical thinking. I believe she would just wait and fret and hope that somehow the landlord would forget about the eviction or change his mind or some other fantasy solution. Going out and getting an attorney (and she has little money to hire one, apparently) seems out of her ability to handle proactively.  Her response to Travis' solidly reasoned plans or need for plans was to simply throw up the entire thing to his responsibility (as the man) and to declare she was going to stay at the pool. 

Travis needs to disentangle himself as soon as the paycheck from LAL is no longer in the equation. Ashley is a sobbing damsel in distress without life skills. Unless he likes that sort of thing she is going to be impossible to be in a relationship with. Surprise! It's a girl! Speaking of babies: I hope he is using protection. Can you imagine coparenting with Ashley? 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

I was sorry to hear that Gabby had been beaten up by her boyfriend, and honestly I wonder how many more of these women (and some of the men, too) have suffered physical abuse at the hands of men who are shown to us to be short-tempered, violent in their responses to other people, unwilling to follow rules, etc.  Most of these guys seem to feel entitled to at least an initial period of being allowed to do pretty much whatever they want and really, really resent anyone's interfering with their celebratory partying.  They think they can ignore rules like curfews and not associating with other felons and become unreasoningly angry when challenged.  They refuse to acknowledge or maybe can't understand that this is the behavior that got them in trouble in the first place.  Seems to me that's an excellent recipe for creating an abuser, and I bet a lot of them are.

I don't care that Cam is ugly as home-made sin and closer to the ground than a chihuahua.  I like him a lot.  He seems good-hearted and is trying hard.  I hope he and Aris and Aris' daughter have a happy life together.

Poor old Travis.  Can't catch a break.  Of course he's not with Ashley for the money--but holy shit, he's just out of the can, and she had led him to believe he could work for her at least in the short run.  Now he not only has the job/income he'd counted on, he doesn't even have a roof over his head.  At least in prison it's three hots and a cot.  Or so I've heard.

Madly in love, of course, with Michael.  And Tit-sling Girl seems to be exactly right for him; she's pretty unflappable and doesn't act all bowled over by what a catch he is.  I think they truly love each other.  His work ethic (or whatever it is) is impressive.

I'm still Nathan's friend, just because of Sky-lar's cell phone.  She still doesn't get it and continues to whine to whoever is in earshot that he's so suspicious and jealous that she thinks he's using.  What a shit of a girlfriend.  Too bad she's pretty; it's going to be hard for him to ditch her.  Her mother is a harpy.

That's all for now--poached eggs on homemade bread toast are calling my name ever so sweetly.

Edited by Mothra
too much blank space at the bottom
  • Like 2
  • Love 3

I don't understand why Ashley's business went in the dumper during Covid. She doesn't have a bricks-and-mortar store, so all she's doing is buying stuff and re-selling it online, right? I realize that if she were actually going to flea markets, that probably stopped during Covid, but then why did she say she spent $70K during the last 2 years*? I assume she was buying her merch online, no? Ecommerce was actually pretty hot up until recently, and I doubt that any of her jewelry is high-end. She should have been doing fine. 

It would also seem that she must have been in dire straits when she applied to be on LAL, and we know it doesn't pay very well, so was she willing to have her business failure revealed on national television? Why? smh

* unless she meant she spent on $70K on her extravagant lifestyle? I thought since she was talking about her business, she meant she spent it on inventory...🤷‍♀️

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I agree that Cameron seems like a good man. I liked the way he related to Lina, the daughter. He struck just the right tone and familiarity. I hope they do well together as a family. 

It was really bugging me that Cameron looked like someone I'd seen on TV and I finally found it. It's an actor on Law and Order: Organized Crime named Ricky Martinez. He is taller and his features are better arranged to make him handsomer but the resemblance is very much there. Like they could be brothers or something.  If only Cameron would stop being so aggressively crude. But he did look good in his wedding suit. I would not go red myself but it was, after it was all put together, nice on him.

• Like 2

Re: Cameron's red suit:  I think it was just fine because he felt good in it, and Aris had no objection to it--maybe she thought he looked good in it, too.

In my day, around 1903, daring young men wore stupid-looking brightly-colored wedding costumes, too, and I think they might have been worse.  They involved things like baby-blue jackets with broad bands of navy trim and excessively ruffled pirate shirts.  They looked ridiculous, of course, and Cameron looked ridiculous.  Like him, they thought they were hawt.

The look I really like is on the Gypsy weddings shows, where the young men doff their jackets and often their shirts for the ceremony, then put it all back on for the reception--plus a top hat.

I think Ashley's jewelry business went kaput because people fearing covid don't feel like buying jewelry.  Her business was online, yes, but a certain amount of it involved having a table at sales.  My husband's cousin Clare makes beautiful fine jewelry, and while she sells some from her website, most people want to see and handle expensive jewelry before they buy it.  She lost money during covid, too, because she couldn't take her wares to specialty shows.  If Ashley is selling real jewelry and not collectible costume jewelry, I expect her experience was the same.

Plus she has acknowledged she was not saving any money and probably was in debt paying for her high-flying lifestyle.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
38 minutes ago, Mothra said:

I do hallucinate sometimes (this is typed only half-jokingly), so maybe--*maybe*--I imagined it.  I don't follow social media or read articles about these guys. 

If you made it to the end of the episode, you'll see Gabby walking down the street toward the camera, talking about how ?Chris? beat her up, broke bones and teeth.  Posters elsewhere who do keep up with these things gave I guess more accurate descriptions of her injuries, but according to the show and Gabby herself, she was beaten by her returning citizen.

I just meant we only heard her side on the ep and she is not the most credible narrator what with her general character and the fact that she was in a physical altercation with a peace officer so not exactly a pacifist.  But yes if people knew that her version was corroborated of course we would all place sole blame on Christopher and condemn his actions.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Mothra said:

I was sorry to hear that Gabby had been beaten up by her boyfriend, and honestly I wonder how many more of these women (and some of the men, too) have suffered physical abuse at the hands of men who are shown to us to be short-tempered, violent in their responses to other people, unwilling to follow rules, etc.  Most of these guys seem to feel entitled to at least an initial period of being allowed to do pretty much whatever they want and really, really resent anyone's interfering with their celebratory partying.  They think they can ignore rules like curfews and not associating with other felons and become unreasoningly angry when challenged.  They refuse to acknowledge or maybe can't understand that this is the behavior that got them in trouble in the first place.  Seems to me that's an excellent recipe for creating an abuser, and I bet a lot of them are.

I don't care that Cam is ugly as home-made sin and closer to the ground than a chihuahua.  I like him a lot.  He seems good-hearted and is trying hard.  I hope he and Aris and Aris' daughter have a happy life together.

Poor old Travis.  Can't catch a break.  Of course he's not with Ashley for the money--but holy shit, he's just out of the can, and she had led him to believe he could work for her at least in the short run.  Now he not only has the job/income he'd counted on, he doesn't even have a roof over his head.  At least in prison it's three hots and a cot.  Or so I've heard.

Madly in love, of course, with Michael.  And Tit-sling Girl seems to be exactly right for him; she's pretty unflappable and doesn't act all bowled over by what a catch he is.  I think they truly love each other.  His work ethic (or whatever it is) is impressive.

I'm still Nathan's friend, just because of Sky-lar's cell phone.  She still doesn't get it and continues to whine to whoever is in earshot that he's so suspicious and jealous that she thinks he's using.  What a shit of a girlfriend.  Too bad she's pretty; it's going to be hard for him to ditch her.  Her mother is a harpy.

That's all for now--poached eggs on homemade bread toast are calling my name ever so sweetly.

I like Cam too. He actually seems to have some intelligence and loves Aris. I wish them luck. 

• Like 1

I have always heard that it's very difficult for landlords to evict people for entirely legitimate reasons so I don't really buy the notion that she only knew this was coming for 15 days. 

unless she meant she spent on $70K on her extravagant lifestyle?

I think she probably did. She had a Jaguar SUV on the driveway; that alone cost a fortune (even though she financed it). Do we know how much she sent Mike while he was in prison? I know a lot of the people on this show somehow spend tens of thousands of dollars  on the inmates. 

• Like 1