Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E10: Welcome to the Getaway

• Start Topic

Calvin and Tina decide to take the honeymoon they never had to Madrid. Also, Dave and Gemma team up with Malcolm and Marty on a project intended to surprise Calvin upon his return.

Airdate: 01/16/2023

I loved Tina's pitch and the brothers commentary of it. It was well-done.

The plot of ruining the grill so it looks used was very stupid, but they payoff in the end was great so it was worth it.

• Like 3

Glad to see they are continuing the story of Calvin's retirement and what he wants to do next

That Saint Bernard on the plane should have been in the cargo hold or something. He was too big to be in the seats

• Applause 2

Calvin wouldn't check his bag, but he wanted the dog to be checked? 

I agree there wasn't enough room, but I also get why someone wouldn't want their dog in the place they stow pets. It's brutal.

He probably should have been made to buy an extra ticket, though, for a dog that big.

• Like 2

Dave shoving Grover in front and running into the house when he broke a window had me rolIing.

Tina looked gorgeous in that yellow. She has beautiful skin. And I’m with her - if my underwear hits the airport floor, it belongs to the airport now. 

• LOL 5
20 hours ago, DanaK said:

That Saint Bernard on the plane should have been in the cargo hold or something. He was too big to be in the seats

As they have it tagged as an emotional support animal, I suppose the person with the dog needed it for the flight. What I've seen people do in real life is to pay extra for the bulk head row so that there's a larger space between the seat and the bulkhead where the dog could go. 

I liked that Calvin upgraded them to first class. What I fervently hope is that they don't have a story line where Calvin and Tina have burned through all their retirement money and he has to go back to work for the people that bought his shop and "hijinks ensue." 

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, joanne3482 said:

I liked that Calvin upgraded them to first class. What I fervently hope is that they don't have a story line where Calvin and Tina have burned through all their retirement money and he has to go back to work for the people that bought his shop and "hijinks ensue." 

Me too. Calvin hasn’t had money issues before (I think he’s known for being cheap?) and the amount he sold for is supposed to be really sizable, so I hope they don’t have him go against character and blow it. It would have to be a lot for them to have “never work again” money in their 50s.

• Like 2

I was once on a flight to Shanghai, for work, so I was in business class.  Yay me!  Anyways, this guy gets on with this enormous Samoyed dog.  Huge.  That dog was so well trained that it backed right into the foot well and stayed there the whole time.  Granted, this was in the more spacious business class, but it is possible to travel with a dog that size.   Though...I think samoyeds are a lot of fluff.  That St. Bernard was alllll dog.

• Like 2
On 1/17/2023 at 11:17 AM, Harvey said:

The plot of ruining the grill so it looks used was very stupid, but they payoff in the end was great so it was worth it.

On 1/17/2023 at 2:59 PM, Mittengirl said:

I hope Malcolm and Marty took the smoker.

What happened to the plot line of Marty and his fiancé buying a house?  Or did I imagine it?

I knew the minute they panicked over the old grill being gone, it would turn out that Calvin wanted rid of it and wouldn't care that it was gone. That'll probably come up again this season, maybe closer to the wedding. When is the wedding supposed to be, anyway?

On 1/17/2023 at 6:58 PM, Empress1 said:

Tina looked gorgeous in that yellow. She has beautiful skin. And I’m with her - if my underwear hits the airport floor, it belongs to the airport now. 

No, that's what washing machines and disinfectants are for!

There are a few airlines that allow Emotional Support Animals to fly in the cabin internationally. I would think that one as big as that Saint Bernard might not be allowed without the purchase of an additional seat. I know that most airlines charge a fee, even for a support animal. This one was at least wearing the ES vest that is often (always?) required. It appeared there was one empty seat in another row, so maybe Calvin or Tina could have moved to a different seat. But then where's the comedy in that?

• Like 1

I loved that we got a scene of them in Spain at the end. While I don't particularly love that he sold the shop, given his concerns over the loss of local businesses in the neighborhood, it is enjoyable seeing him and Tina get to relax and enjoy a true vacation. 

The smoker storyline was obvious, but amusing. 

The dog was too big to not require the purchase of an extra seat, but I'm with that guy - no way would I ever send my animals to the cargo hold. 

• Like 2