Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E10: Too Many Cooks (1)

thewhiteowl
  • Start Topic

NCIS agents from Washington, D.C., Los Angeles and Hawai’i, all in D.C. to attend the retirement party of a beloved Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC) professor, find themselves jointly investigating his shocking suicide.

McGee pointing out that the LA crew uses black crime scene gloves.

Torres, Callen, and Sam interrupting a training session (and the trainees observing their procedure).

Tennant and Knight's bad-ass driving demonstration  (OK, you're both queens of the road, can we move on with the story now???)

McGee being interrogated -- not in the conference room.

Sam:    "We didn't know where that was,"

McGee:   "You didn't know where this room was! I had to show you!"

(McGee reminding Sam his favorite car (RIP, Charlene!) was stolen, not to mention the fake Callen)

Palmer has a "special" ringtone for Knight.    I have (mostly) individual ringtones for my friends and family as well.

Thank goodness we're done with crossovers for the rest of the season. Lachey's smug overacting is undigestable to me, all other characters okay.

Since the crossover ratings for all 3 were "super", all website critics and I are certain of NCIS being renewed. (The other 2: not sure, probably, don't care).

Unfortunately, next season, I am sure we'll be subjected to 2 more crossovers. Cbs is doing it as an ego thing, since closest rival NBC does crossovers too (One Chicago and L&O universes). " Keeping up with the Joneses".

Gary Cole and his character Parker is a real chameleon, he slots right in to the stage and story quickly.

• Like 3

Gawd, a crossover. I only can handle NCIS. Hate Hawaii, don't watch LA. Could really do without the stupid who's in charge of what/ who's better than who at what crap. I'm the best! I'm in charge! I have seniority!  No me me me!!  Ugh.

Fifteen minutes in and I am trying to determine if the aggravation with Hawaii and LA is worth staying for the mothership NCIS part. Probably not.

• Like 4
12 hours ago, Poohpoohpooh said:

Unfortunately, next season, I am sure we'll be subjected to 2 more crossovers. Cbs is doing it as an ego thing, since closest rival NBC does crossovers too (One Chicago and L&O universes). " Keeping up with the Joneses".

Like the earlier FBI crossover on CBS I don't feel that this one matched the NBC Law & Order season opener, In that case it really felt like a movie. Chicago being a hospital firefighter and detective/police tactical force "franchise" does have an advantage.

This NCIS "event" was the more traditional have a couple of characters show up on the other show. But it was better than The Rookie "event".  With each show feeling like itself even if SAC Tennant or Agent Hanna was around. With the oldest and youngest shows having the exact same mission just in different locations they feel even more different than New Orleans did from the original show. 

Edited by Raja
  • Like 3

Well, I must be masochistic because I actually did stick it out for all three shows. And it reminded me why I don't watch Hawaii any longer and why I don't like LA. And I'm from LA but I do get tired of every cliche about LA being brought into TV shows by writers who apparently are unaware that there are millions of people in LA who have no connection to or interest in show business. Anyway, once they left original NCIS the crossover just got more and more boring and bogged down with characters and their quirks and turf battles and for some reason Sam continually patronizing Tennant.  Does he patronize all women in the LA version or was this a specific Tennant thing?  I will not watch LA to find out. But I found it really really offputting. But this was the first time I actually liked Whistler in Hawaii. Maybe without Lucy around she's not as bad.

Want regular standalone NCIS. Never want another crossover with Hawaii and/or LA again.

• Like 8
  • LOL 1
8 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

Well, I must be masochistic because I actually did stick it out for all three shows. And it reminded me why I don't watch Hawaii any longer and why I don't like LA. And I'm from LA but I do get tired of every cliche about LA being brought into TV shows by writers who apparently are unaware that there are millions of people in LA who have no connection to or interest in show business. Anyway, once they left original NCIS the crossover just got more and more boring and bogged down with characters and their quirks and turf battles and for some reason Sam continually patronizing Tennant.  Does he patronize all women in the LA version or was this a specific Tennant thing?  I will not watch LA to find out. But I found it really really offputting. But this was the first time I actually liked Whistler in Hawaii. Maybe without Lucy around she's not as bad.

Want regular standalone NCIS. Never want another crossover with Hawaii and/or LA again.

You're right about the show-biz thing.  First they had Fatima as the former child actress.  Now on Rookie Feds they have an actor turned FBI agent. 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Twilight Man said:

Torres, Callen, and Sam interrupting a training session (and the trainees observing their procedure).

That was a cute bit. Did the show move FLETC basic training from Georgia to the DC area? Later talks about the FBI private jet flights and SAC Tennant hoping military flights (over on Hawai'i almost always Coast Guard) makes the timeline seem so.

• Like 1

Well once again I am in the minority and I actually really liked all three episodes.  I am an occasional watcher of OG NCIS and watched the LA one for the first few years but haven't really kept up in awhile.   I thought all three told a fun story.  I mean if you take NCIS seriously then you likely won't like it because it had Palmer beat up a guy but I kinda like that about him.   He has exponentially improved over the years to the point where you do believe he can bash a guys head in because "teamwork makes the dream work."   The Hawaii one I paid less attention to but I got the gist of it and it really was just a middle chapter about CIA stuff going horrible askew but I did really like the LA one because it again incorporated two of the "newer" members of the group especially Roundtree.   I loved how he handled being taken captured and it reminded me of earlier seasons.  Plus the mystery itself was interesting enough.    So whether or not you watch Hawaii and LA this crossover was at least watchable.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Like 9

So far, I've watched the first two parts.  To me this is just mindless comic book stuff - lots of things exploding and at the end, the good guys win and all is right with the world until the next episode.  

I watch NCIS and also NCIS LA (but mainly due to inertia on Sunday nights until it became a habit).  Gave Hawaii 3 episodes and kind of gave up on it (my other half really disliked it).   Not a fan of cross-over episodes but this is what we were given.  

NCIS will probably get renewed.  LA should get the axe - it can be an ok show but gets stupid with all the personal romance stuff.  Since I don't watch Hawaii, I won't venture a guess there.   Part of what gets shows like these canned is the expense in making them.   And my personal opinion of the lead actress is that she can't act and doesn't have a lot of person charisma, but that might be subjective.   

• Like 3
1 hour ago, 12catcrazy said:

LA should get the axe - it can be an ok show but gets stupid with all the personal romance stuff.  Since I don't watch Hawaii, I won't venture a guess there.   Part of what gets shows like these canned is the expense in making them.   And my personal opinion of the lead actress is that she can't act and doesn't have a lot of person charisma, but that might be subjective.   

Somewhat OT but relates to your comment, by coincidence.  No wonder things cost a lot.  I work in downtown Manhattan, on Broadway near City Hall and the WTC.  They were filming Succession out here today, and they had eleventy billion people sitting or standing around under tents doing I have no idea what.  Many looked to just be talking to each other. The scene was filmed on one street--I could see the two actors screaming at each other from outside the filming circle--and the tents with equipment were around the corner.  Then on the next block were craft services trucks and trailers. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 2

Crossovers are hard to pull off, but they did pretty well. Of course if you're into hand-waving you'd do jazz hands for almost three hours. But this  popcorn fare at best.

Random notes

• Jimmy took out a goon, good on you Doctor Palmer!
  • Sam chewing out Callen for not contacting him and Tennant listening in with a grin was funny.
  • Sam and Callen not realizing mystery voice message came from Hetty (and recognizing her voice) was not funny.
  • Sam carrying out kicking and screaming Fatima from the interrogation was funny - but I don't think it was meant to be. 
  • Deeks and Torres was funny although Muffin lady hitting on Torres might have been a bit too much of a good thing.
  • Speaking of Muffin lady - I can't believe Torres did not sweet talk her into handing out a box of free muffins for Parker!
Edited by MissLucas
  • Like 3
On 1/11/2023 at 2:00 PM, Chaos Theory said:

Well once again I am in the minority and I actually really liked all three episodes. 

I also liked it far more than I thought I would, probably because I was actually able to follow the plotline, whereas in the past with NCIS multi-episode arcs, I got confused from the jump.

On 1/12/2023 at 1:51 PM, 12catcrazy said:

To me this is just mindless comic book stuff - lots of things exploding and at the end, the good guys win and all is right with the world until the next episode.  

That is the most annoying part...that there is soooo much shooting, and the NCIS guys never get hit, but with one or two shots, they take out their targets.

On 1/12/2023 at 1:51 PM, 12catcrazy said:

NCIS will probably get renewed.  LA should get the axe - it can be an ok show but gets stupid with all the personal romance stuff.  

I don't watch NCIS LA, but if there is supposed to be a romance between Kenzie and that surfer-looking dude, I don't see it.

On 1/12/2023 at 9:08 PM, MissLucas said:
  • Sam and Callen not realizing mystery voice message came from Hetty (and recognizing her voice) was not funny.

I was mystified by that.  Again, I don't watch NCIS LA, but I know who Linda Hunt is, and I instantly recognized her voice.  It was (literally) unbelievably lame for them to have written it that way.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LuvMyShows said:

I don't watch NCIS LA, but if there is supposed to be a romance between Kenzie and that surfer-looking dude, I don't see it.

Agent Kensi and NCIS Investigator Deeks are long past romance and are a long term married team. In real life the actors are brother and sister in law which could make for weird Thanksgiving dinner, even in a family of actors.

• Useful 4
  • LOL 2

I actually thought this was a 3-part NCIS (original) series, so two more weeks to watch. Now I know that isn't the case.  Not sure I want to watch two shows I normally don't watch just to see how this ended.  

• Like 1