Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E09: Welcome to Our Time

• Start Topic

I was not expecting Calvin to sell his shop, but I guess they were seeding it through the season. I think a negative side to selling is that the developers will probably turn the land into expensive condos as Calvin was already upset about the neighborhood changing

• Like 2
  • Love 3

Hmmm.....  Not single thought about how the sale would affect his long term employees, or one ounce of regret about them?  Not even a mention?  Calvin is certainly all about Calvin, but even he isn't that callous, and neither is Tina.  Nor is Gemma, Dave, Marty or Malcolm. Especially since Calvin expressed zero curiosity about how the new owners would run the business.

Or if the new owners would run the business.

Maybe that's a future plotline, where Calvin's former employees get in touch with him after they've been fired and he eats a little crow and gets them jobs at his former rival's shop.

Anyways, I found it out of character.  Sure, Calvin is pretty self-centered, but he's not a monster.  

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4

I'm completely creeped out by the way they are selling the end of community-based businesses and the takeover by developers. This is not the first episode this season which was totally about how silly it is to actually want to run your own business and how great it is to have a corporate buy out. 

• Applause 1

I haven't watched this episode yet...but Calvin sells out? If so, this does not mesh well with the recept episode about him being concerned about the "Mom and Pop" businesses in the neighborhood that they made such a big deal about recently? Frankly, I'm a bit lost here with this. I'll watch today and see how the writers have handled this.

Wow, nothing on the Cons list? I was expecting more Pros, but to have no Cons listed at all? Nothing about being a hypocrite regarding his "buy local" and anti-gentrifying campaign? And no concern about what the new owners would do with the shop? Plus what others said above about the workers.

Last season, didn't he hire that girl to be his apprentice? They even had a quincenera for her and acted like Calvin would be her mentor. But what's going to happen to her without Calvin, given her record of being in trouble with the police? The new owners aren't going to keep her, assuming that it stays a car shop and doesn't get turned into something else.

I mean, they went through all the trouble to have Tina quit her cupcake business and come back to the shop. Now the shop closes and her job's gone too. Is she still just a volunteer music teacher, or is she getting paid? I don't see why Calvin needs to retire now. He's not that old, and he doesn't need to take Tina's job too.

Edited by Cress
  • Love 4

Agreed - this was very uncharacteristic of Calvin, and well, everyone else. (The less said about Dave and the jersey, the better.)

The 'Con', as I thought someone would realize, is that owning the Pit Stop is who Calvin is.

Wonder what they're setting up, but not happy about this turn of events.

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, Cress said:

I don't see why Calvin needs to retire now. He's not that old, and he doesn't need to take Tina's job too.

I agree with everything said about it being out of character for Calvin not to be concerned about the employees and the future of the neighborhood (he was just hyping up small neighborhood businesses last episode and he bought the house next door to keep developers from buying it - he’s been all about the neighborhood for the whole show) - but I’m a lot younger than Calvin and Tina and I would retire right now, today, if I could. There’s more to life than work.

I do wonder if Calvin will have a hard time with all the free time he’ll now have, and with the idea that he’s not “Calvin of Calvin’s Pit Stop” anymore.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Based on the article from the showrunner, I suspect they will come up with something fun for Calvin to do. Let’s hope at least some of the people in the neighborhood rag on him for “selling out”. But as said, it was very uncharacteristic for him to sell without worrying about what the new owners will do with the place. He did hold out until he actually saw what they were offering so it’s clear the money was too good to resist and however many years he spent owning the shop must have been a grind. I retired just a few months after I was eligible at 56 and 32 years and I had a government office job

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Good episode. Interesting that the Necie storyline was not resolved. I liked the scene where Tina and Calvin discussed selling the shop in their bedroom. They talked like adults.

They have a really respectful marriage. Love to see it.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Harvey said:

Good episode. Interesting that the Necie storyline was not resolved. 

It was.  The sweatshirt belonged to one of Malcom’s buddies.  He was over for a football game and got got nacho cheese or something on it, that’s why it was in the laundry.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I feel like the show has an axe to grind about how local businesses are stupid and corporate takeovers are awesome.

IF they just wanted to get rid of Calvin's job to change the show, they could have just had him retire, or sell, without also doing the whole campaign about saving local businesses.

But they did that campaign and then basically mocked it, not only with this episode, but with the previous where they had a rude, obnoxious shopkeeper and a restaurant Calvin was a fan of but never ate at.

It's pissing me off.

• Fire 2

I'm sure this will be unpopular, but no, I don't really think it's OK to wear an ex's shirt. It's just a shirt.  If it's comfy, get one like it.  I mean, I was geting hte impression that she wore it to bed.  Just weird.

"I want my Daddy's Record!" was a throwaway line to an episode of Sanford and Son. Old Black folks would recognize it right away. I thought this episode was funnier than usual, but also more hypocritical than usual for all the reasons everybody has already pointed out.

• Love 1