Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E11: Two Hour Epic Finale Part 1; S08.E12: Two Hour Epic Finale Part 2

• Start Topic

Glad that I slept through most of it.  No suprise that the winner was Amber Riley/the Harp. She was almost a lock from her first song.   Don't know that much about her but she definitely has the pipes.  Show would be much improved without the attention junkies, Ken and Jenny.  I really think I'm done with this show.

Edited by pnina
misspelling
  • Love 2

Well, if anyone was in any doubt, "our album could be Pet Sounds II" clinched that it was Wilson Phillips. Carnie can be annoying, but they are an amazing singing trio, and hopefully this is the start of their comeback. I was hoping for a tie though. Amber Riley is a worthy winner and earned the crown completely, and overall this was a very good season. I liked the theme nights, I liked the variety of contestants (likely only possible because this format makes it easier for one-and-done contracts,) and there were no polarizing figures like Palin or Giuliani. I wonder how many more kids Nick will have before the next season?

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

I loved watching the show on the Fox website, I skipped Part 1 entirely, and for Part 2, I could use the "+15 seconds" button every time Ken opened his mouth.

4 hours ago, pnina said:

Glad that I slept through most of it.  No suprise that the winner was Amber Riley/the Harp. She was almost a lock from her first song.   Don't know that much about her but she definitely has the pipes.  Show would be much improved without the attention junkies, Ken and Jenny.  I really think I'm done with this show.

I am a big Wilson Phillips fan and I was hoping they would win, but I do think Amber Riley is a deserving winner.  She was fantastic.

1 hour ago, Ananayel said:

Well, if anyone was in any doubt, "our album could be Pet Sounds II" clinched that it was Wilson Phillips. Carnie can be annoying, but they are an amazing singing trio, and hopefully this is the start of their comeback. I was hoping for a tie though. Amber Riley is a worthy winner and earned the crown completely, and overall this was a very good season. I liked the theme nights, I liked the variety of contestants (likely only possible because this format makes it easier for one-and-done contracts,) and there were no polarizing figures like Palin or Giuliani. I wonder how many more kids Nick will have before the next season?

I'm curious as to why the show made it sound like WP reunited for this show.  They have been back together for at least 10 years, they had a Christmas CD and then a CD that was covers of Beach Boys and The Mamas and the Papas songs.  Their version of "California Dreamin" is great.

But I get the general gist of the picture the show was trying to paint.  I do hope this show gets them more attention and that they start recording original music again.

Nick mentioned Season 9, seems like it will premiere in the spring.  I do think that's enough time for him to impregnate possibly three more of his baby mama cattle.  Who is next in line?

I do agree that it was great we got bigger names and mostly people who could actually sing.  The level of talent this season was the best it has ever been.  Interested to see who they can get for next time.  Bryan Adams, Nelly Furtado, Monica, Brian Littrell, AJ McLean, Kelly Rowland, T Boz, Debbie Gibson... these are some singers I'd love to see.

• LOL 2

Thank goodness for DVR.  I just watched the 2 hours in 20 minutes.  Happy foe Amber Riley, she deserves the win.

Was anyone else worrying that Jenny was going to pop out of her dress?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I have a very high tolerance for the filler on this show.  It's so staged and over-the-top it crosses over from idiotic to kitschy for me.  But even I was happy when the first hour was finally over.  At least we got some funny takes on their costumes from the losing celebrities and two clinching clues for the finalists:  Pet Sounds II and the picture of a car (which, I'm fairly certain, was a Mercedes).

The last hour was one of the show's best finales.  The performances were highly entertaining, Jenny and Nicole both looked fantastic, and the fake voting yielded a thoroughly deserving winner.

Here's hoping they keep theme nights for next season.

• Love 3
On 12/1/2022 at 6:46 PM, camom said:

Was anyone else worrying that Jenny was going to pop out of her dress?

Yes. I posted something in the live thread about wondering if she was going to have a wardrobe malfunction. 

I wasn’t familiar with Amber’s career post-Glee prior to this show, but it seems she’s one of the luckier ones who has been able to move on without being afflicted with the drama/tragedy so many others from that cast have faced. I wish her well as she continues on and hope this gave her a good confidence boost that her talent speaks for itself. 

I knew Harp was Amber Riley the first time I heard her sing. I have loved her since she played Mercedes on Glee.

I was so glad to see Wilson Phillips come in second and be back out there recording again. 

But can I say how I’m hoping Ken is replaced after his rabid insistence that Harp was Jennifer Hudson, even after seeing the clip package where Harp was talking to her mother

For Ken to be that damn dumb or deliberately obtuse, thinking he’s cute or funny, when Jennifer’s mother was brutally murdered, along with Jennifer’s brother and nephew by her older sister’s ex-husband. There is no excuse to get this wrong. 

• Love 2
18 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

But can I say how I’m hoping Ken is replaced after his rabid insistence that Harp was Jennifer Hudson, even after seeing the clip package where Harp was talking to her mother

For Ken to be that damn dumb or deliberately obtuse, thinking he’s cute or funny, when Jennifer’s mother was brutally murdered, along with Jennifer’s brother and nephew by her older sister’s ex-husband. There is no excuse to get this wrong. 

Agreed.  I can't stand him.  I know it's part of his schtick but he does seem to think he's so cute and funny and adorable, and that he does seem to believe that viewers find his continued insistence that he knows "exactly who this is", when his guesses are usually so ridiculous, to be part of his endearing and loveable personality.

He is supposedly proud of the fact that he is so in touch with pop culture.  He does appear to know (or at least be fed the info in his headset) more athletes than the other three, and he seems to know a lot more rappers than I would have expected him to know.  So I too found it awful that he insisted that Harp was Jennifer Hudson, after Harp talked about how her mom didn't even know Harp was her.

I have no idea what he has over the Fox executives or why he has to appear on every Fox reality show (they even made a joke about it this season), but I think he is long past his expiration date.  It seems to me that in Season 1 he was truly trying to be a legit panelist, but his guesses were so bad and the reaction to him by the audience was so negative, that he decided to just run with it and his character of the "bad guesser" has just evolved and continued to the point where he is a complete joke.

I have said this before, but I would love to see him permanently replaced by Joel McHale.

• Like 2
  • Love 3