Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: The Fight

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

The two English guys shoveling coal and arguing about monsters were some welcome comic relief because this episode was intense.

I can't believe it took the first mate to point out that randomly handing out guns to passengers was a bad idea.

Ugh, and I felt bad for Lucian in the last episode. He kind of sucks.

Olek and Jérome better make it through all this.

Edited by krankydoodle
  • Like 3
  • Love 4

Some downright creepy visuals in this episode but none more than that pile of bodies that Jerome and Olek are ordered to toss overboard. 

Iben calmly throwing The Boy overboard while all hell broke loose was really quite something. She is so fervent in her belief she's happy to capitalize on everyone's fears so she can slay a "devil." I appreciated Tove at least trying to talk some sense into Krester (Tove is definitely becoming a favorite)

Loved everyone's reactions when The Boy reemerged from the cabinet with nary a scratch. They were all like WTF? I know how they feel.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

I keep going back and forth on whether the boy used the pyramid to teleport himself or just "respawned" (new theory: they're all in a computer game?). On the one hand, teleporting would explain nicely how he showed up again, on the other hand I think we saw his impact on the water, and he's neither wet nor injured when he comes back.

We were definitely meant to notice the ring-shaped scar/injury on the stranger's finger. Are/Were he and Maura married? (The boy could be their son?) Also, I used to think Maura's name on the Prometheus' log meant something shady was going on in respect to her having been on board, and while I still tend in that direction, it might also mean she's travelling under a false name or that she was booked on the Prometheus but didn't make it on board. She doesn't seem to remember having been there in any case.

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, silverstream said:

I keep going back and forth on whether the boy used the pyramid to teleport himself or just "respawned" (new theory: they're all in a computer game?). On the one hand, teleporting would explain nicely how he showed up again, on the other hand I think we saw his impact on the water, and he's neither wet nor injured when he comes back.

I was thinking his little pyramid takes him back in time to before what’s happened. In this case, he never fell into the water (hence his dry clothes) because he came back earlier in time when he was still in the cupboard. 

Edited by ferjy
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I love that there's a massive brawl! On deck in the rain at night too.

On 11/22/2022 at 7:21 AM, silverstream said:

We were definitely meant to notice the ring-shaped scar/injury on the stranger's finger.

I did not notice that, but now that you point it out, Maura found a wedding band in the boy's jacket pocket previously. When he was asleep or pretending to be asleep on the bed. It's the only other item he brought on board apart from the magical black pyramid. Maybe he and Peacoat Brooder are the same person?

The crazy religious lady is hateful, but the boy bringing sickness on board from the other ship is a pretty reasonable explanation, especially for the time period. If we get an explanation it will probably make less sense than that one!

Edited by Kirsty
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

There are not many things scarier than a crowd of poor, uneducated, angry people getting access to weapons, as history shows time and time again. Bonus points if they are also religious.

Considering that this was pre-WW1 (at least we are supposed to think so, I haven't ruled out time travel yet), the remark about the ship being a powder keg was very on point. Even though it's funy, because people usually called Balkan that and we haven't seen any passengers from any Balkan country on the ship.

My theory after this episode would be that it's some sort of social experiment to see how long does it take for people to become this crazy/bloodthirsty/violent if they are isolated and away from any external authority. But then it wouldn't make sense that the Boy returns to the same group of people instead of a new or rewinded one.

On 11/22/2022 at 1:51 PM, ferjy said:

I was thinking his little pyramid takes him back in time to before what’s happened. In this case, he never fell into the water (hence his dry clothes) because he came back earlier in time when he was still in the cupboard. 

He was in the same spot where he was on the Prometheus, right? That makes me wonder if there might only be one ship instead of two. But they have different names, so probably not. The light before he appered kind of puts me off though. I would prefer if this all has a logical, non-supernatural explanation.

Observations so far:

- those bugs seem to open the doors when they go under them, which explains why Creepy Guy (Daniel?) always carries them with him. The boy also seems to think they can show him the way to something. This episode they were accompanied by some weird buzzing sound so that makes me wonder if they are mechanical and not alive.

- every episode begins with one character dreaming about past traumatic experience until they are told to wake up by the same female voice after which they wake up on the ship. Then during the episode they experience flashbacks to the same memory and they are aware of them ("Why does this keep happening?") Are they all under some hypnosis? Are events on the ship actually in the past? 

- from previous episodes it looks like they all received same envelopes (What is lost will be found). The triangles are everywhere, even the French woman has earrings in that shape. The visual looks very cult-like to me. Also, they keep mentioning the company that owns the ships, but there is no representative on the ship? 

• Love 1

Four episodes in, and I'm part baffled, part intrigued by what is going on here. 

In a fight scene like than on deck, exactly how does anyone know who is on their side and who isn't?  They more or less all look the same - they're either poor travelers or deckhands.  No one knows more than a handful of people, so how do you know if you're punching out the enemy or someone on your side?

Also, people were strangely dry for being on deck during a storm.  Clemence was barely wet at all.  Only odd peacoat guy was truly soaking wet, as they all should have been.   Don't even get me started on the boy magically appearing in the cabinet, also dry and in good shape for being tossed off a ship.

I have no theories or even wild guesses where this is all going to go. 

• Love 2
On 11/23/2022 at 6:16 PM, Kirsty said:

Maybe he and Peacoat Brooder are the same person?

They have different colored eyes, if that means anything.

On 11/27/2022 at 5:46 PM, JustHereForFood said:

every episode begins with one character dreaming about past traumatic experience until they are told to wake up by the same female voice after which they wake up on the ship.

The subtitles say it's Maura's voice, if that means anything.

On 12/2/2022 at 9:20 PM, chaifan said:

Also, people were strangely dry for being on deck during a storm.  Clemence was barely wet at all. 

Yeah, I wasn't sure if that was a continuity error or if there really wasn't a fight on a ship in the rain, if that means anything.

I'm finding this show really intriguing and fun in the way Lost was.  Does every little detail have a meaning?  You really have to pay attention in case it does.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 11/27/2022 at 5:46 PM, JustHereForFood said:

He was in the same spot where he was on the Prometheus, right? That makes me wonder if there might only be one ship instead of two. But they have different names, so probably not.

The ships could have the same design since they belong to the same company. Wasn't there a mention (in this episode or a previous one) of the company buying 3 German ships and having them refurbished? I don't remember if they said what/where the third ship was. But Prometheus and Kerberus seem to have similar design elements, including trap doors leading to secret compartments--although it's hard to tell how similar, since all we've seen of Prometheus has been at night or very low light.

I didn't see this mentioned yet in the discussion of earlier episodes, but the names of the ships must be significant. The ship everyone is on is Kerberos, which is another spelling of Cerberus, in Greek mythology the three-headed dog that guarded the entrance to the Underworld--he let the dead in but didn't let anyone out. Prometheus was one of the Titans in Greek mythology, a trickster and the god of fire, who defied the gods by giving fire to mortals. 

• Useful 1

Iben deciding that The Boy needed to die because he was the cause of deaths on board is a textbook example of how humans, when faced with horrific trauma, will sometimes reach for any explanation to make sense of it. And that usually doesn't end well. It was good to see Tove try to stop Krester from revealing that people started dying after The Boy arrived. She clearly realizes what a dangerous fanatic her mother is. Krester, on the other hand, will do anything for his mother's love and approval. 

So far, Olek and Jerome are coming across as the most selfless characters. They seem to always be trying to do the right thing.

At one point, Lucien says to Clemence "Life hurts," which is the exact thing Yuk Je said to Ling Yi in the last episode. Which shores up my theory about the punchline of this show. Speaking of Lucien, he's clearly haunted by what he did to leave the army. Whatever good life he got out of that choice doesn't seem to make up for how miserable he seems to be.

And a thing that botherd me, why didn't the people who piled up the bodies throw them overboard?

Someone had to touch them to bring them to that one place. So why not throw them as soon as they carried th outside