Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: The Fog

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

I'm liking Eyk and Maura's scenes. Dare I say it, I'm starting to ship them.

Iben (hyper religious Danish lady) may be the most terrifying character in this show. There are few things scarier than a true believer.

Olek and Ling Yi are sweet together, though I'd better not get too attached to them.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

i only sussed today that actually i am watching the dubbed version, as occasionally the lips didn't sink but then mostly it did!

as i wondered why "spanish brother who is not the preist" had an american accent. As did the kinomo girl!

(netflix auto defaults to it for me)

did i imagine the ship DISAPPEARING at end of the episode?

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Gillian Rosh said:

No, it did. I rewound twice to be sure.

Lol, me too. If I wasn't invested before, I sure am now!

My newest theory is that they're all in some sort of computer simulation (possibly a repeating one?), but I'm sure that theory is going to be overthrown too. I wonder what (if any) importance there is to the fact that the songs we've had so far seem to be all from the late 60s to early 80s; if I remember correctly, the TV setup from last episode didn't look particularly modern either...

I did find the whole "we need to search the boilers for human remains" a pretty transparent excuse for Eyk to find the passenger list (I've got no idea why he didn't take the whole book), considering that if they needed to get rid of bodies the easiest & quickest way would have been to just throw them overboard.

Ángel seems to need only the thinnest of reasons to cheat. At least he looks really snappy in that suit!

I realise that they want to keep the "boy" near the main characters for plot reasons, but keeping him in a cabin all day with no attempts to entertain him that we've seen doesn't really constitute "taking care" of him in my book.

Edited by silverstream
  • Like 2
  • Love 3

Angel is so messy. He already has a partner in Ramiro, so why does he go chasing after Krester.

I'm actually enjoying the dynamic between the characters when they don't understand each other due to the language barrier. It's fascinating to watch them find different ways to communicate with each other.

• Love 3

I never watched Lost and this show still reminds me of it.

It's a change to see the Danes as third class plebs a hundred years ago. Usually it's the Irish.

Angel and Ramiro are a terrible couple who should break up immediately. They don't like each other and the only thing they have is sexual chemistry. If that wasn't apparent to them before then they must not have spent any time together outside the sack.

Haunted Captain and Maura did some detectiving together, which was good, but then he lied to her for the first time. I thought it was because he found her brother's name on the Prometheus passenger list. Omg he found her name! I did not see that coming.

Its not clear to me why Ying Li and her mother don't tell Mrs Wilson to jump into the ocean. They're two and she's one. What's she going to do to them on an ocean liner?

One of the ship's officers (second in command, I think?) used a key to open a compartment in the wall of the ship and punch in a sequence of triangles. Do we think he's in league with the powers that be? Either that or he was ordering his breakfast. Was that the triangle code for Eggs Benedict? 🤣 

I don't like that Broody Peacoat can control the game with his remote control. I guess because it's a kind of confirmation that it's all nonsense.

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, Kirsty said:

Its not clear to me why Ying Li and her mother don't tell Mrs Wilson to jump into the ocean. They're two and she's one. What's she going to do to them on an ocean liner?

Yes, I was wondering that too... Then again, we don't know what their deal is - possibly she has some sort of contract with them and can get them locked up or in serious trouble if they break it (of course, what she's doing doesn't seem exactly like it was legal in 1899, so it's more likely the problem would be shady business partners rather than the police... on the other hand, they didn't seem super worried about getting away once they'd reached the US). Regardless, if the ship goes back to where it came from, even if there's no external trouble Mrs Wilson could simply refuse to take them along again, so they'd be stuck in Europe.

• Like 1

So did Daniel make the ship disappear with that thing that looked like a game when he pushed the squares around?

Regarding Ling Yi and her backstory, did I understand right that she accidentally poisoned her sister because she wanted to take her place on the ship? And that part when she was pushed into water was just her dreaming about being in her sister's place or did she also drown at some point in the past? Also, am I crazy that in one of the earlier episodes when she was taking down the make-up and the older woman who is apparently her mother was telling her about pretending to be someone else and that she needs to study Japanese, I though that the deception is that she is not really Asian, but that turns out to not be the case.

On 11/23/2022 at 10:02 PM, Kirsty said:

One of the ship's officers (second in command, I think?) used a key to open a compartment in the wall of the ship and punch in a sequence of triangles. Do we think he's in league with the powers that be? Either that or he was ordering his breakfast. Was that the triangle code for Eggs Benedict? 🤣 

Was that some technology that could have existed back then? It looked more modern to me, but I'm not very into technological stuff.

7 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

I thought that the deception is that she is not really Asian, but that turns out to not be the case.

They are actually Chinese and speaking in Cantonese to each other.  I have no idea why she is dressed like a geisha and needing to pass herself off as Japanese. 

• Useful 2
On 11/20/2022 at 1:48 PM, Gillian Rosh said:

No, it did. I rewound twice to be sure.

Me too! The first time I wasn't quite sure which of the two ships disappeared.

On 11/23/2022 at 4:02 PM, Kirsty said:

Probably because she's rich and white in the 19th century, and they're not. They're poor foreigners that don't even speak the language, and likely everything they currently own is really hers. She could probably make any claims - they attacked her/tricked her/stole from her, and everyone would pick her side. Even if they're on a cruise ship, I'm sure there's a cell / jail in case they need to contain someone (like they do this episode with Olek and Jerome). She and her mother could be thrown in there, then passed to authorities once they reach port.

On 11/26/2022 at 5:51 PM, JustHereForFood said:

Regarding Ling Yi and her backstory, did I understand right that she accidentally poisoned her sister because she wanted to take her place on the ship? And that part when she was pushed into water was just her dreaming about being in her sister's place or did she also drown at some point in the past? Also, am I crazy that in one of the earlier episodes when she was taking down the make-up and the older woman who is apparently her mother was telling her about pretending to be someone else and that she needs to study Japanese, I though that the deception is that she is not really Asian, but that turns out to not be the case.

I think she was a prostitute they knew and were friends with - I didn't get the impression she was her sister, since the mother seemed really adamant that her daughter not be a prostitute, and that girl already was. Mrs. Wilson was expecting an experienced prostitute and probably met her at the brothel - she tells Ling Yi that she already said goodbye to the girls at the brothel and stopped by to say bye to her and her mother. I think you have the rest of it right though. I didn't realize they were really Chinese until I learned they were speaking Cantonese - but I figured they weren't Japanese since Mrs. Wilson doesn't want them speaking in public (and others hearing that they're not Japanese) and since they were trying to learn Japanese.

On 11/27/2022 at 1:51 AM, Sundazed said:

They are actually Chinese and speaking in Cantonese to each other.  I have no idea why she is dressed like a geisha and needing to pass herself off as Japanese. 

I think Mrs. Wilson thinks she can get more money if they are advertised as exotic Geishas. So she is having them learn Japanese and won't let them speak Cantonese in public.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
On 11/27/2022 at 12:51 AM, Sundazed said:

Yeah. I highly recommend everyone watch with subtitles. They tell you exactly what language is being spoken, so even if you are nor familiar with Portuguese, or Danish, etc., you can kind of follow along with the characters and get early clues that tell you more about them before it's actually revealed in-universe. I knew from episode one  Ling Yi speaking Cantonese, which was a major tipoff as to who she was.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
21 minutes ago, EarlGreyTea said:

Yeah. I highly recommend everyone watch with subtitles. They tell you exactly what language is being spoken, so even if you are nor familiar with Portuguese, or Danish, etc., you can kind of follow along with the characters and get early clues that tell you more about them before it's actually revealed in-universe. I knew from episode one  Ling Yi speaking Cantonese, which was a major tipoff as to who she was.

My TV did not default to dubbing (thankfully!) I really enjoyed seeing the actors speak their own languages as their characters - and watching each character figure out how to communicate with someone who doesn't speak their language (Olek is really good at this, though it helps that he seems to speak some German)

• Like 1
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, EarlGreyTea said:

What setting are you using? I'm watching the default "original" - so I only get subtitles when they aren't speaking English, but Netflix doesn't tell me what language the subtitles are for. I figured out Ling Yi and her mother weren't Japanese from context, but I didn't realize they were speaking Cantonese (vs. another non Japanese Asian language) until I read it here.

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, Natalie25 said:

What setting are you using? I'm watching the default "original" - so I only get subtitles when they aren't speaking English, but Netflix doesn't tell me what language the subtitles are for. I figured out Ling Yi and her mother weren't Japanese from context, but I didn't realize they were speaking Cantonese (vs. another non Japanese Asian language) until I read it here.

I watch with the English (original) with subtitles setting. That’s where it’ll tell you what the actual language being spoken is, I think. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Natalie25 said:

Yea, I didn't get them telling me which language it was either, which is why I never knew where any of them are from because I don't know any languages lol.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Well, I asked in the last episode thread when the smoke monster would appear.  Seems we got a fog monster instead.  This is so similar to Lost in that each episode is focusing on a character (or two) and we learn something of their back story.   The mysterious mechanicals and slide puzzle that makes the ship disappear is right out of the Dharma handbook.

This is all some sort of psychological mind game being played on people (patients?).  I noted (well, the subtitles did) that whenever someone wakes up from a nightmare it's Maura's voice telling them to wake up. 

Daniel looks like Elijah Wood.

I'm loving watching the characters trying to communicate in multiple languages.  Makes me wonder though when the captain has everyone gathered for a Big Announcement how much some of them understand what's going on.  I think Ling Yi and her mother understand English and maybe the French couple and the Spanish/Portuguese couple.  How does the information trickle down to the Danes?

• Like 2
  • Love 1
On 12/10/2022 at 7:30 AM, Haleth said:

I noted (well, the subtitles did) that whenever someone wakes up from a nightmare it's Maura's voice telling them to wake up. 

I noted that, too, and that made me wonder if hypnosis was involved. But in the first episode, didn't someone else (a man, I think--maybe her father?) tell Maura to wake up? 

The old doctor doesn't know what happened to poor little Ada, so he chooses to engage in some sexism...and then eugenics. WTF!

Franz endeared me when he told Tove and her family about Ada dying. It's also interesting that he seems to move ahead with the mutiny after seeing their family's suffering.

Eyk & Maura! The conversation on their ride to the Prometheus is poignant.

Angel is still messy. Why did he cheat on poor Ramiro? *smh*

Finally, I really want someone to give Wilhelm a hug. He has been anxious since episode 1.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
On 12/10/2022 at 4:30 AM, Haleth said:

Well, I asked in the last episode thread when the smoke monster would appear.  Seems we got a fog monster instead.  This is so similar to Lost in that each episode is focusing on a character (or two) and we learn something of their back story.   The mysterious mechanicals and slide puzzle that makes the ship disappear is right out of the Dharma handbook.

The triangles/pyramids showing up everywhere kind of reminds me of Hurley's lottery numbers.

On 12/10/2022 at 4:30 AM, Haleth said:

The triangles/pyramids showing up everywhere kind of reminds me of Hurley's lottery numbers.