Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Going Commando

• Start Topic

When a prisoner serving a life sentence escapes, the 7-4 teams up with the U.S. Marshals to track down the convict before he finds the cop who put him away: Deputy Inspector Regina Haywood. Also, Officer Quinlan struggles with her living situation.

Airdate: 10/30/2022

Kind of a meh episode. I fell asleep for a while in the middle and didn’t rewind, just watched the end.  I liked the elevator repair resolution, but what did they find under the elevator?  Also it was too obvious that the annoyed neighbor just happened to be standing by to hear everything of the conversation.  What a coincidence. 

So have they now completely forgotten batgate and the wife’s drug dealing chef?  

• Like 4
3 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I saw guns, but I thought there would be drugs and a dead body too!

I knew it was going to be something bad that was keeping the elevator from working. My first thought was a body, but no one was complaining of a smell in the building. Drugs was my second thought, but I guess guns would be in that same category--Someone using the broken elevator shaft as a hiding spot for something illegal.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

A lot of guns. 
I could only tell because I have a ridiculously big TV.

I saw guns on top, but maybe a wheel or two? A damaged bicycle or wheelchair? I think they were trying to imply that it was a convenient dumping ground for whatever anyone needed to unload. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

I had hopes for this show but this episode was really bad - too much story that was too easily resolved.

None of the complexity of a show like NYPD - I mention this specifically because Bobby Simone was a complex character versus the Smits character in this show who is just a cipher in a uniform with Smits calling it in for the pay check.

And the whole restaurant thing is beyond bizarre because it makes no sense to transform a restaurant that had a certain type of patron with a certain price point into an upscale expensive restaurant with $18 grilled cheese situations with duck confit. Yes areas do gentrify but East New York hasn't reached the point where expensive upscale restaurants can make it. 

• Love 3

The son had seen his father attempt to choke someone and his testimony led to the father being in prison.  Then the little boy saw his mother shot and when his father took him away, they had to step around two dead security guards.  And yet the boy seemed thrilled to be going away with his dad, whom he said he loved.  What's up with that?

• Applause 2
  • Love 4

What was up with the Deputy Inspector going to the boat alone? For a moment I thought it was a set up for a sniper since life on top of a life sentence is nothing. Hopefully the FBI can make the case for the two dead Deputy Marshals and the US Attorney can seek justice for their sacrifice 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I thought Lamonte Jacobs is such a badass. His 2nd arrest was easy, it felt anticlimactic.

Officer Brandy Quinlan has started to become preachy by episode. 😣

16 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I liked the elevator repair resolution, but what did they find under the elevator?  

91ECD04E-6466-4A42-BEEE-6B4F767FE788.jpeg

• Thanks 1

They kind of brushed over things at the end.  Did they say the mom was going to suffer any consequences?   Seriously?   She cooperates with an escaped felon which lead to two Marshals being murdered.  

Also don't understand why Brandy was in the wrong.   They can think it's their living room all they want but it doesn't make it so.   It's a public placed in front of densely populated residential complex.   She tried to be nice and politely ask them to quiet down and they blew her off, to put it mildly.  I'm sure there were plenty of residents there who were trying to sleep and didn't appreciate loud music and firecrackers.

I don't get the whole point of the restaurant story.   It seems like ever plot point around it appears once and then is dropped.   The bat, the ex con chef, it being a hangout for the officers. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Maverick said:

Also don't understand why Brandy was in the wrong.   They can think it's their living room all they want but it doesn't make it so.   It's a public placed in front of densely populated residential complex. 

If you live in a densely populated area, noise is a given. When Brandy——who we were told was raised in the projects——declined to go out with the other cops after work so she could get “eight hours of uninterrupted sleep,” I thought: Seriously?? 
Then I thought she’d at least put in earplugs. 
But no.

Anyone else think this plot writing was unrealistic?

If there were a lot of other residents complaining about the noise, maybe it would have made sense, but, IRL, that would not happen.

This too seemed far fetched:

4 hours ago, Maverick said:

They kind of brushed over things at the end.  Did they say the mom was going to suffer any consequences?   Seriously?   She cooperates with an escaped felon which lead to two Marshals being murdered.

• Love 3

I thought that the capture of the big bad killer was surprisingly weak. I'd have expected him to go out in a blaze of gunfire. He repeatedly said he was not going back to prison. 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

If there were a lot of other residents complaining about the noise, maybe it would have made sense, but, IRL, that would not happen.

She goes up on the roof with a confiscated M80.  "You want your noise?  I got your noise right here."

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 10/31/2022 at 6:42 PM, buckboard said:

The son had seen his father attempt to choke someone and his testimony led to the father being in prison.  Then the little boy saw his mother shot and when his father took him away, they had to step around two dead security guards.  And yet the boy seemed thrilled to be going away with his dad, whom he said he loved.  What's up with that?

Yeah, I wondered about that, too. I think they said that the boy didn't see the actual choking but saw his father go away with the victim but the boy still was present for when the mother was shot and he knew the dad was in prison. And he wasn't the least bit scared. That was weird.

On 10/31/2022 at 11:42 PM, Maverick said:

Also don't understand why Brandy was in the wrong.   They can think it's their living room all they want but it doesn't make it so.   It's a public placed in front of densely populated residential complex.   She tried to be nice and politely ask them to quiet down and they blew her off, to put it mildly.  I'm sure there were plenty of residents there who were trying to sleep and didn't appreciate loud music and firecrackers.

I would imagine that it's a fairly realistic depiction, still, I agree that Brandy was not in the wrong. Just because the residents disapproved of Brandy, doesn't make Brandy wrong. I don't know if there are any laws about loud noises during the night but if there are not, it's common courtesy to keep it down at night so that others can sleep.

On 11/1/2022 at 4:44 AM, shapeshifter said:

If you live in a densely populated area, noise is a given.

I disagree, at least to an extent. There are certain noises that you have in a city but I don't count loud music and loud talking as one of them. I used to get that only on New Year's Eve in Berlin and usually only from people who were walking down the street towards or from public transportation.

On 11/1/2022 at 4:44 AM, shapeshifter said:

Considering how they treated Brandy after she complained, I don't think there are many other residents who would dare to complain.

Generally, I have mixed feelings about this plot.  I'm under the impression that the Deputy Inspector tries to establish a relationship with a  neighborhood that feels largely neglected and/or treated unjustly by the justice system and that she wants an officer there to show the residents that someone cares and that she hears them.
I get that arrests would have made things worse and that Brandy wasn't at her most diplomatic. Still, if the neighborhood does indeed feel neglected, their attitude towards Brandy doesn't help either. I don't believe that Brandy was the only one who was bothered by the noise, rather, I think she was the only one who dared to say something, so while I do understand where the residents are coming from and why they were upset with Brandy, the way the residents reacted still bothers me. It gave me the impression that they want it both ways - they want the police to care, bring down crime in the neighborhood and make it safer in general but only when it's convenient. It doesn't work that way. They have to want change as much as the police has to want change.

Again, Brandy didn't approach it the right way but the residents' ongoing hostility doesn't help either.