Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Amor Fati

• Start Topic

I don't think this will stick with me, but it was a compelling watch. The ending felt a bit rushed and I didn't find it as emotionally affecting as intended. They did do a good job of leaving an opening for another season while still providing enough closure that this would still be reasonably satisfying if this is all we get.

Edited by krankydoodle
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

I just finished this and really enjoyed it. There are still lots of unanswered questions that I assume will get cleared up if there are additional seasons (like the scene in the park with the bee and the story about Gideon running over the dog.)

One thing did get answered. I guess we now know how Lucy was able to quickly subdue Aiden’s mother when she attacked Lucy. 

• Like 2
On 10/29/2022 at 4:21 PM, krankydoodle said:

The ending felt a bit rushed and I didn't find it as emotionally affecting as intended.

Agreed - it was a big exposition dump from Gideon at the end.

I did overall enjoy it - even though I knew Nick was doomed, his and his wife's murders were really affecting.  I remember thinking - how can that skinny kid with a tiny knife take out the both of them when Nick was practically Superman fighting in the drug dealing apartment.  Then when we saw young Gideon stab his sleeping father it made more sense.

I was distracted when momma bear Lucy bought the obvious fire hazard heater for her young son, then left it in his room even after he deliberately burned himself on it. 

I was confused by Isaac transporting himself/slipping into the neighbor's (Meredith's family) house when everyone thought he was kidnapped.  Meredith and her family see him but never say anything to anyone- did they assume he just left and went home (when he actually got himself to the place he was ultimately found?)  The last we see is the three of them staring at him in shock.

I was so sure that Gideon would be Isaac from another timeline.   They set up his dad to be not just neglectful but evil (leaving him in the burning room) so I was waiting for an alternate reality Isaac to kill him in that different reality.  That would have explained why Lucy and her mom seemed to have the same abilities that Gideon did and why this reality's Isaac was so isolated and quiet - he's overwhelmed by his abilities, not "he's just a husk".   It would have helped explain Gideon's obsession with Lucy in a way that made more sense then what we got. 

Still, I was pretty much hooked all the way through and would def watch a second season, they left us lots of hanging threads. 

In the shallow end - I thought Nikesh Patel was cute (too young looking for me) but add the full beard and yowza!  Suddenly sexy!

Great series until the end. Full of suspense - I had to do the sound-off-eyes-peeping thing often. The actors were uniformly fantastic. Strong production value.

But I could barely tolerate the final episode. Gideon talks non-stop, trying to explain, but only confuses me. I FFed through most of the episode. Very disappointed.

• Like 1

I'm glad I stuck with it.  Several places I had to go back to catch things, it was definitely NOT a series to watch when you're distracted.

And MAN, I'm glad Lucy didn't really marry Mike, what an obnoxious dickhead.  And a murderer to boot.

I may have to watch it again.  And I'm down for another season with Lucy & Dhillon together.  

I liked this show. Man was Mike a massive c***. I mean I've seen some massive c**** before but he might have been the biggest one yet.

I have a few questions though:

If life loops around again and again, isn't saving people kinda pointless? I can see trying that for a few lifetimes, but for as many as Gideon did? At least a few he should have spent trying to live a normal life, to not land in prison at the end and see what the future holds, right? The aversion therapy approach at least seems to be kinda promising, if that can trancend lifetimes. But just killing the same people over and over again, that must get old, if it doesn't change anything, right?

Speaking of killing people. Aiden Stanner was a 17 year old kid. Killing him was really the only option? Why not kidnap him 12 years earlier and stash him with your friend, too? That should also prevent the murders, right?

Gideon said that once he turns 18 he doesn't have to steal anymore, since he can get money from gambling, since he knows the results. But why 18? He is a fugitive on the run. Surely he can't use his real ID. He wouldn't have one as a child and getting one would be impossible. So he has to have a source for fake IDs and that he should be able to tap when he is like 15-16.

Speaking of him being on the run, is stabbing his father really his best option? I mean he changes stuff all the time why not that? Why not jump out of the car when his father loosens the parking break? Those old cars don't have child locks and they are pretty far away from the cliff when the rolling starts. That would leave the father dead and him and his brother alive, without him being implicated. He could just stay with his mother. Or if that doesn't work, remember some hard to detect poisons. Same result.

In the previous lifetime, why and in what context did Lucy ask Gideon to wait for her, which promted him to do all those years in prison? I hope that gets cleared up in another season, because there was no explaination at all.

Is there an element of fate? Gideon says he always gets caught by the same detective, no matter what he learns in any lifetime. How can that be without fate? Although it seems that in the next lifetime Lucy will be the cop who catches him. So that's new then.

Finally shouldn't there be thousands of Issacs? Kids who really shouldn't exist but now do, due to Gideon's actions? The Butterfly Effect is a thing in these kinds of stories. How is Isaac the only special boy out there?

• Love 1

On 10/29/2022 at 10:21 PM, krankydoodle said:

The ending felt a bit rushed and I didn't find it as emotionally affecting as intended.

Yeah, I think the writers were too attached to keeping all their mysteries for the last episode. With a bit of shuffeling around and making the finale double length, this could have been better. How it was, it draged a bit at times and the finale was rushed.

On 11/6/2022 at 9:31 AM, Accidental Martyr said:

(like the scene in the park with the bee and the story about Gideon running over the dog.)

I don't think that needs explaination. The bee needed food and Gideon liked doing something good without making anybody suffer. The dog killed the four year old girl, so Gideon killed it first.

On 11/10/2022 at 12:50 AM, raven said:

I was confused by Isaac transporting himself/slipping into the neighbor's (Meredith's family) house when everyone thought he was kidnapped.  Meredith and her family see him but never say anything to anyone- did they assume he just left and went home (when he actually got himself to the place he was ultimately found?)  The last we see is the three of them staring at him in shock.

He didn't slip into the neighbours house. He stayed in his bedroom. In most other lifes the neighbours made a low ball offer on the house and got it, but in this life Lucy outbid them, so they moved in a few houses down the street. So Issac slipped into another life/timeline, but stayed in the same physical place.

On 11/10/2022 at 12:50 AM, raven said:

That would have explained why Lucy and her mom seemed to have the same abilities that Gideon did and why this reality's Isaac was so isolated and quiet

They have similar abilities because Gideon derailed their lifes.

On 11/13/2022 at 10:52 PM, leighdear said:

And MAN, I'm glad Lucy didn't really marry Mike, what an obnoxious dickhead.  And a murderer to boot.

She did really marry him, in the lifetime this show is mostly set in.

• Like 2

I just hated Mike so much, who would leave a little boy to burn to death? I just wanted Isaac to be saved and for Lucy to put her efforts towards helping her son. This was just sad to me. I know Isaac might have never existed or might be in another realm.

Also don’t like the suggestion that a child who is neurodivergent is a soulless husk. We could see Isaac having love for his mother.

Edited by Madding crowd
On 12/30/2022 at 12:15 AM, Madding crowd said:

I just hated Mike so much, who would leave a little boy to burn to death? I just wanted Isaac to be saved and for Lucy to put her efforts towards helping her son. This was just sad to me. I know Isaac might have never existed or might be in another realm.

Also don’t like the suggestion that a child who is neurodivergent is a soulless husk. We could see Isaac having love for his mother.

I do think Mike changed his mind and went back for Isaac but based on what he said to Lucy he had walked into another realm by then. 

I started watching for Capaldi and I ended up loving the other characters but, man I loved his presence in the last 2 episodes. 

I think the concept is fascinating and, would like it explored more. I did have some major questions.  If Lucy's timeline is skewed because Giddeon saved her mom, then how/why did Lucy even go visit Giddeon? Is it because she was the detective in the other/proper timeline?

I yelled at Mike for leaving Issac to die...not even leaving actively choosing to kill him. What an asshole. I do wonder in his story, did Issac "ruin" their lives because of the way he was or because Mike is a total narcissist and, wanted all of Lucy's love/attention? Would he have hated/resented any child?

As for Issac being an anomaly it made sense, especially with how different he was, he didn't just perceive the ripples he was able to interact and, even jump timeliness. I'd like to imagine if there's a S2 that Issac jumped to Detective Chambers timeline and, didn't actually die in that fire.

Nice touch, when we saw the wedding Nick and, his wife were on the Bride's side. I guess Nick was her partner and, it kind of circles back to Ravi's line to Nick about someone had to (when Nick asked why he did it when it clearly didn't fit Ravi's personality)