Type keyword(s) to search

Scarlett O'Connor: Sad Chipmunk

John Ramos's very funny piece

I love Clare Bowen's singing voice, but ugh, Scarlett. Every time I start to like her (when she refuses to let Deacon push her around, or gets it together and delivers a great performance) she goes and does at least three terrible things that make me want to slap her again (whining about her success, punishing Zoey for daring to fall for her ex-boyfriend, fleeing from a session with Kelly Clarkson, snapping at Rayna, falling in love with Liam... okay that's more than three things).

Edited by Cranberry
  • Love 1

My vote is for early season 1 Scarlett who sang fantastic duets with Gunnar. I need more duets for my Spotify playlist, Nashville. Make it happen. 

But seriously, I think they went off the rails with her character. She's been accused of being a Mary Sue but I think the problem is that they keep rewriting her. One day she's this weak, naive poet who stirs Gunnar's protective instincts. The next day she's all sassy and full of quips. Then she's overwhelmed by being on tour. Then she's a drug addict who falls in love with Liam at the drop of a hat. Her personality is not consistent. Her motivations are not consistent. Even her music isn't consistent. 

I sooooo agree!  I am sick to death of Scarlet and her wistful whining all the time.  If they're going to make her a druggie, then lets get some spunk into the girl already, give her some good UPPERS and lets go!

• Love 1

My vote is for early season 1 Scarlett who sang fantastic duets with Gunnar. I need more duets for my Spotify playlist, Nashville. Make it happen. 

Yes! "If I Didn't Know Better" and "Fade Into You" are still my favorite songs that have come out of this show. Their voices sound so good together.

I think that people throw the term "Mary Sue" around too often, using it for any character they dislike, whether it fits or not. Scarlett's not a Mary Sue. She's just inconsistent and unlikable.

• Love 2

Aw, I like Scarlett, especially in her relationships with Deacon and Rayna--and after last week, Juliette. She's really struggling and I hope finds her way back to the stronger girl we met early on. She's supposed to be pretty young, I think..23-ish maybe. So I find this all believable. She just has no emotional tools to cope with what has happened to her. She also needs to say no to drugs, even though they make her more interesting.

I used to like Scarlett and she is still my favorite singer on the show, but they lost me with the hating my best friend because she is dating my ex that I broke up with in the first place storyline. It has been all downhill from there. Even Gunnar's man pain wasn't as annoying as her fragile flower routine.

• Love 1

I used to like Scarlett and she is still my favorite singer on the show, but they lost me with the hating my best friend because she is dating my ex that I broke up with in the first place storyline. It has been all downhill from there. Even Gunnar's man pain wasn't as annoying as her fragile flower routine.

Actually that's probably the most realistic and true to life relationship on the show. I know at least 50 people who have been through that, from the best friend to the ex to the ex of the ex.

Aw, I like Scarlett, especially in her relationships with Deacon and Rayna--and after last week, Juliette. She's really struggling and I hope finds her way back to the stronger girl we met early on. She's supposed to be pretty young, I think..23-ish maybe. So I find this all believable. She just has no emotional tools to cope with what has happened to her. She also needs to say no to drugs, even though they make her more interesting.

I like this.

Scarlett is someone who has always been on the outside of  a 'scene' in this case, the country music scene in Nashville and has managed to occasionally peek through the window blinds with her job at the Bluebird. She wants more than anything not to just be one of those people up on stage at the Bluebird, but someone like Juliette or Rayna, while being incredibly naive about the grind and gears of the business side of the music machine in Nashville as well as the other stuff. drugs and such. One could argue that she would have seen some drug use at the Bluebird, but I honestly doubt it, that's the kind of place that you play before you get introduced to the stupidity of controlled substances.

Then she gets a lucky break, due to her job at the Bluebird and from there it's like a tornado inside of a hurricane. She's not only meeting some of the people she  has dreamed about and idolized, some of them actually want to record a song she's written and even record WITH her, and then she's centerstage at the most sacred place in country music, the Oprey and talk of money and recording contracts and money and tours and oh yes, MONEY are flying through the air and it's all going flashing by and around her WAY too fast but she isn't allowed to scream, "STOP AND GIVE ME TEN MINUTES TO THINK!!" because the iron must be struck while it is hot.

She's the opposite of what's her face, brunette American Idol like show winner, who has been  trained and coached for this her entire life.

• Love 1

Scarlett has really grown on me. Early in the show I hated her over the top innocence act and fashion choices. Now I like her more and more as a sincere character who is generally pretty sane. 

I don't think she came to Nashville looking for fame, to be like Rayna or Juliette. I thought she moved to Nashville to accompany her boyfriend, and didn't dream of being a star. Even now it seems she is ambivalent.

It seems like she should switch places with Gunnar. He is missing performing and wants to go on tour, while she would probably be happier at home knitting a quilt, feeding her cat, and writing a poem.

I actually think Scarlett does want to succeed as a performer and artist. She just doesn't necessarily want to be famous. She's like Rayna and Deacon in that way. Juliette, on the other hand, always seemed like she wanted to be famous. Layla is like that too. Much as I bag on this show, I like that there's room for all different kinds of artists, and I'm hoping that once Rayna gets her situation with her own kid handled, she'll be able to spend more time mentoring Scarlett. I've always gotten the sense that Scarlett just needs direction, some gentle pushing, and a solid person in her corner. Deacon is awesome, but he's so softhearted that he'd let her hide away. Rayna won't, and the balance of those two is good for Scarlett. I get the feeling that she never got any real parenting in her early life, so she needs what both Rayna and Deacon have to offer now. In the end, I think she'll be all right, though it might be a treacherous road for her.

I think Rayna wanted to be famous, she certainly has harped on about her house and how much money she is losing, though unlike Scarlett and Juliette. Rayna was born into money, so she had a relatively easy time of it, but having tractor trailers full of cash doesn't guarantee success in the music business, Sean Lennon and Chet Hanks aka Chet Haze being examples A&B. And I think Scarlett wants to be famous. She looks at Juliette and her private jet and mansion and at Rayna and her mansion and part of her is all, "ME WANT NOW!!!!!!" but part of her is terrified because she doesn't know what will be required to achieve those things and whether she will do those things. She is just a bit too naive about the reality of the music industry.

I don't know. I think Rayna probably wanted to be out in front and she definitely lives in a fairly ostentatious house now, but she also walked into that lake cabin and declared it her dream house and comes and goes at Deacon's with no mention of its size or comfort. Plus, after that fancy polo party, which she didn't even want to go to, she greeted Luke at the Bluebird by saying something like, "See...these are my people, not those rich polo types." I know she came from money and she's probably comfortable in that world, but I've never gotten the feeling from Rayna that she cares about it except as a means to an end. She wants to keep her home, sure, and she wants to run her label that supports musicians, so she needs and is worried about money. She wants to make the music she thinks is good, so she's concerned about whether or not it sells. But I think that most of the characters on this show, Rayna included, are supposed to be soul-type musicians who see what they're doing an as art form, rather than a means of acquiring fame. Also, Rayna hates the media, guards her privacy with her life, and won't even go on Twitter. So I don't think fame is really her thing.

I get a similar sense from Scarlett, though she's certainly a lot shyer and more fearful than Rayna ever was. Scarlett is this introverted, quiet poet who has a beautiful voice and an incredible talent and she does love performing. But everything that goes along with being a performer is too much for her to deal with. She basically said as much to Juliette last week. I think she's trying to cope because she does love the music part, but it's a means to an end for her and I really don't think she has any idea how to do it.

The only person who really seems to enjoy being famous is Luke Wheeler. And Juliette somewhat, though that's definitely changed a lot. And Layla wants it.

Scarlett does seem like an emotionally fragile person who doesn't have the skill set to deal with so many changes she wasn't prepared for. She's made it clear she isn't ready for this in one way or another but no one is taking it seriously.

Whether she wanted fame or not, it doesn't mean she understood what kind of emotional toll it would take on her. I'm interested what her story is and how she came to have so few coping skills in dealing with major changes without a meltdown of one form or another.

(edited)

Scarlett does seem like an emotionally fragile person who doesn't have the skill set to deal with so many changes she wasn't prepared for. She's made it clear she isn't ready for this in one way or another but no one is taking it seriously.

Whether she wanted fame or not, it doesn't mean she understood what kind of emotional toll it would take on her. I'm interested what her story is and how she came to have so few coping skills in dealing with major changes without a meltdown of one form or another.

Based on the teaser and previous comments from Scarlett, my money is on "mommy issues." Edited by Joystickenvy

I have to say that I just read that "Once Upon a Time in Nashville" story John Ramos wrote (posted upthread). That is one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time. Raising my own glass of mead to you, good sir!

• Love 1
I don't think she came to Nashville looking for fame, to be like Rayna or Juliette. I thought she moved to Nashville to accompany her boyfriend, and didn't dream of being a star. Even now it seems she is ambivalent.

This is the version of Scarlett I see but I think the biggest problem with her is that you could argue any of the readings in this thread because the writers have been so inconsistent with her character. She is all of the things. She came to Nashville just to be with Avery. But wait, she does enjoy poetry and now she's a songwriter. But wait, now she's performing so we have to say she wanted to perform the whole time. She loved being on the stage at the Opry. But she hates being on the stage on tour with Luke Wheeler. But she was nervous to be at the Bluebird even though she's performed there a ton of times already. I don't know if it's an issue with multiple writers or the same writers not knowing what to do with her character but the fact of the matter is that she's just inconsistent. This isn't how a normal person (even someone confused and complicated) thinks and behaves. This is how a character who keeps getting rewritten thinks and behaves and while Juliette has a bit of this as well, I think Hayden has been able to ground the character in a much better way than Clare Bowen has.

This is the version of Scarlett I see but I think the biggest problem with her is that you could argue any of the readings in this thread because the writers have been so inconsistent with her character. She is all of the things. She came to Nashville just to be with Avery. But wait, she does enjoy poetry and now she's a songwriter. But wait, now she's performing so we have to say she wanted to perform the whole time. She loved being on the stage at the Opry. But she hates being on the stage on tour with Luke Wheeler. But she was nervous to be at the Bluebird even though she's performed there a ton of times already. I don't know if it's an issue with multiple writers or the same writers not knowing what to do with her character but the fact of the matter is that she's just inconsistent. This isn't how a normal person (even someone confused and complicated) thinks and behaves. This is how a character who keeps getting rewritten thinks and behaves and while Juliette has a bit of this as well, I think Hayden has been able to ground the character in a much better way than Clare Bowen has.

Actually i think she can be all of those things in the real world and I don't think it's entirely inconsistent for her character.She came to Nashville because of her boyfriend, got lucky and got a job at the Bluebird and watched in awe as all these great singer/songwriters got up on the stage and watched even more amateurs come up on open mike nights and she started just writing down the occasional phrase and after writing and writing with some help that got turned into a song .I don't think she's EVER  been that comfortable performing, but you have to do at least a little bit of that if you want to get your name out in Nashville as a songwriter. If you're a country artist your greatest dream is to perform at the Oprey. I don't care if you're an "outlaw' like Waylon Jennings or Johnny Cash or Willie Nelson, they  all dreamed about it and considered it an honor when they were asked to perform there. It's like performing at the Met if you're an opera singer. She wants to be on stage but she's also got stage fright.

Now that sounds a lot more believable on paper and I'd agree that Clare is not the world's greatest actress, but keep in mind she has to do her lines while making sure to keep a southern accent and NOT slip into her Australian accent and do the same thing with her singing. That's not easy and she has said as much.

As for tonight's episode, who knew Angela Collette could K-I-L-L it like that on stage?? And the flashbacks go a ways to show just why she might be squirrelly. "I WILL LOCK YOU IN THIS CLOSET UNTIL YOU ACCCPT JEBUS AS YOUR SAVIOR!!!!!!

I know Deacon has a lot going on in his life right now but it seems kind of wrong that he's not involved in this storyline even a little bit. Hopefully after her "little" melt down he gets involved in some way. Scarlett is his niece, who did stick by him after his drunken rampage. Scarlett's mom is his crazy sister.  I want him to be the one to put the verbal smackdown on his sister.  Or at the very least, know what's going on.  I'm going to be livid if he stays separated from this storyline.  It would make absolutely no sense.

• Love 1

When growing up with someone like Scarlette's mother, it is like walking on eggshells all the time. One becomes passive because it is easier to survive that way but one doesn't lose that passivity when one leaves home. One has to recognize it and work on getting out of that bubble. Actually the verbal and emotional abuse is so much worse than the physical. It will leave a person scarred for a very long time. At least I understand Scarlette now.

Ugh! I hate her so much. She's the Lana Lang of Nashville. If things are so bad and so awful then just give into the drink, pull an Ophelia and drown yourself in a river because I don't want to hear it anymore. From someone who gave 8 years of my hard-earned life to being successful in the music business I can't stand to hear the whining, "Poor me, I'm so successful, it's so hard." Oh stuff it, sweetie. If you can't cut it then let it alone and leave the rest of us to watch people who actually deserve to be where they are. Even Layla is preferable to this snivelling, brat. Jesus. If she could stand one episode without needing everyone's reassurance and approval like Linus and his damned blanket, I'd die of shock.

I didn't watch the first season of Nashville & am binge watching over my holiday break. I'm shocked at Scartlett's appearance. I've always thought she looked squirrelly with way too much hair. Don't the stylists know what a thinning shear is? But her Season 1 appearance is ick. What was up with her eyebrows? And she either has chubby cheeks or a weird face shape but dare I say it, she looked heavy in the face!!

Her non American American accent is so distracting too.,

Funny how after two and a half seasons I don't notice her clothes anymore and barely notice her hair. All I can remember about her hair recently is that I don't like it! And the squirrelly thing is still there, but like other details I now just accept them as part of the character. I really like her with Deacon, and wished they did more with her Zoey friendship. I don't really like her with Avery or Gunnar. I would love to see her befriend Maddie, or even better, Daphne. She seems about on Daphne's emotional level!

I totally noticed the eyebrows thing- I couldn't figure out if they just colored em in bad or something, but in the one where she's standing on the Opry stage with Avery, they are an awful shade of yellow!! Looks much better in current season

• Love 1

Funny how after two and a half seasons I don't notice her clothes anymore and barely notice her hair. All I can remember about her hair recently is that I don't like it! And the squirrelly thing is still there, but like other details I now just accept them as part of the character. I really like her with Deacon, and wished they did more with her Zoey friendship. I don't really like her with Avery or Gunnar.

I don't notice her clothes or hair as much as before, either.  I've said before that I think she's beautiful, in an unconventional way.  Zoey was a snooze-fest, and I'm glad she's gone.  I don't like Scarlett and Gunnar in a romantic relationship very well, but their songwriting/singing together has consistently been one of the best things about the entire series.

I didn't watch the first season of Nashville & am binge watching over my holiday break. I'm shocked at Scartlett's appearance. I've always thought she looked squirrelly with way too much hair. Don't the stylists know what a thinning shear is? But her Season 1 appearance is ick. What was up with her eyebrows? And she either has chubby cheeks or a weird face shape but dare I say it, she looked heavy in the face!!

She definitely has prominent cheekbones, but I think the biggest change about her now are her much darker eyebrows.  They frame her face in an entirely different way.

I don't notice her clothes or hair as much as before, either.  I've said before that I think she's beautiful, in an unconventional way.

Oh, she's insanely cute. 90% of the people hating on her looks and her voice are bitter and jealous women who know she could steal their men with a whip of an eyelash.

Edited by Telepath
  • Love 2

People have different opinions about talent and different preferences when it comes to appearance. Let's all post our own opinions and avoid generalizing people who don't agree with us. Thanks!

Oh, I know that my post was a low blow and an overgeneralization, but I couldn't really resist seeing how much shit she gets heaped on her everywhere. I'll be good now.

That said I don't agree with your relativist stuff. Talent and skills aren't subjective. I might prefer listening to Debbie Harry over Luciano Pavarotti but in no reality would I not concede that Pavarotti is the greater singer. I find a lot of the Scarlett bashing on the web to be genuinely dishonest.

Edited by Telepath
  • Love 1

I dunno, man. Some people think that Thomas Kinkade was a great artist.

(I meant that taste is subjective, though, of course. Someone might understand that a singer is technically good while still not enjoying their voice. They may use hyperbole when discussing their opinions. That's not against the rules. Insulting other posters, however, is.)

• Love 2

I can't stand Scarlett in romance mode, but I'm absolutely fascinated by her family dynamics.  I know her mother isn't popular, but her scenes with Deacon and Scarlett are like exposed nerves.  The scene in which Beverly yells that Deacon left her behind, and he responds she refused to come with him - just teared me up.  So much love, yet they're incapable of expressing it in a healthy manner.

I watched the video of Scarlett singing Black Roses, and it's one of my favorite moments.  She begins by telling Beverly - "this is for you, mama" - and Beverly is so excited.  Then as Scarlett sings, Beverly becomes angry, then ends up crying and almost tormented.  She knows what Scarlett sings is true.  I'm willing to move on from the abuse, because Beverly was mentally ill then.  But Scarlett can't move on that easily.

I don't want Beverly to be a regular cast member, but I'd like to continue to see her on a recurrent basis.  It's fascinating to me just like Juliette's relationship with her mother, and how her mother ultimately sacrificed herself to help her daughter.