Type keyword(s) to search

Fandom and Viewer Issues: "Fan" Is Short for "Fanatic"

Emma
  • Start Topic

I can see that, the only thing I don't agree on is that Hook jumped to get info rather than for reasons centered around their relationship.

Exactly.  The angle they're pushing, that it's a spurned boyfriend threatening suicide to get his girlfriend's attention when their relationship hits a bad spot, doesn't work in this context at all.  Hook wasn't threatening suicide, he was taking a leap of faith.  If he was threatening suicide as a manipulation like these people are claiming, then he would have announced suicide was his intention and wouldn't have made the jump at all.

Edited by Mathius
  • Love 1

I refuse to get a Twitter account, so would some kind soul please ask one of the writers if they can clarify the continuity error about the Barnaby ring on Hook's finger? It would be much appreciated!

I'll give it a shot, but they never respond to me probably because I'm too civil.

• Love 2

Exactly. The angle they're pushing, that it's a spurned boyfriend threatening suicide to get his girlfriend's attention when their relationship hits a bad spot, doesn't work in this context at all. Hook wasn't threatening suicide, he was taking a leap of faith. If he was threatening suicide as a manipulation like these people are claiming, then he would have announced suicide was his intention and wouldn't have made the jump at all.

None of their angles when it comes to Hook ever makes sense. Just stick to "Hook shot Belle." at least because calling him a rapist when your fav is one makes you look stupid. Saying he was committing suicide because of their relationship when it really was him trying to get answers doesn't work either. No wonder why the writers ignore them.

• Love 7

I spoke to an entertainment reporter who I went to j-school with back in the day. She said that all shows have some rabid fans, but OUAT is currently taking the cake in that regard. She wrote a story based on her interviews with A&E and a few of the actors on the show. She not only received nasty messages for not including "any of the clearly LGBT themes of the show," but her editor and online producer got messages saying she should be fired over the story. They had enough sense to ignore the messages, but that is screwed up that people were actually attempting to get her fired over a story about a television show.

I can assume that the messages the actors and writers receive are even worse. I admire them for being strong enough to ignore it. It is hard to do. 

Unfortunately, they don't all the time. Adam engages too much with the haters. 

Was that incident with your friend recent or awhile ago? I swear, they attack EVERY journalist who isn't pushing an SQ agenda. I mean, how dare journalists talk about what's happening on the show instead of fans' head canons?

• Love 4

The Reaper and Creepy Kyle going at it is hilarious.

It's funny because the Reaper doesn't give a crap (he's said before he only watches sports) and Kyle cares sooooo much. Plus, it's not like Kyle is trying to argue "This is good/bad writing", he's arguing about NUMBERS.

Edited by Serena
  • Love 1

So apparently SQ is starting to lose in the final round of that AfterEllen poll, but guess what? It's not their fault! No, it's the anti-SQ faction using bots. I mean, really? First of all, I don't think there are enough fucks to give by CS fans who want to mess with the poll results. And second, were we not just talking about SQ messing with bots to skew poll results yesterday? It hasn't even been 24 hours since their moronic TVLine debacle. I mean, come on. If I facepalmed myself over this one, I would give myself a concussion.

So apparently SQ is starting to lose in the final round of that AfterEllen poll, but guess what? It's not their fault! No, it's the anti-SQ faction using bots. I mean, really? First of all, I don't think there are enough fucks to give by CS fans who want to mess with the poll results. And second, were we not just talking about SQ messing with bots to skew poll results yesterday? It hasn't even been 24 hours since their moronic TVLine debacle. I mean, come on. If I facepalmed myself over this one, I would give myself a concussion.

If that were the case, SQ wouldn't have made it to the final round!

• Love 1

I think the CS fandom is too busy rocking back and forth and crying to bother to vote on that poll.

I feel their anguish, I really do. But I am way too excited for the angst to come. I have no doubt everything will be resolved. All I'm hoping is that we don't get any kind of plot resembling the stuff they've put OQ through.

• Love 4

I sure was rocking back and fourth after Quantico ended. lmao I see the nervous CSers and they make going into the tags so hard. I don't get why fandom's are afraid of angst amongst their ships. If this was a daytime soap then I'd be worried for them because daytime soaps are savages.

• Love 1

I sure was rocking back and fourth after Quantico ended. lmao I see the nervous CSers and they make going into the tags so hard. I don't get why fandom's are afraid of angst amongst their ships. If this was a daytime soap then I'd be worried for them because daytime soaps are savages.

This Todd & Blair fan (OLTL) agrees...soaps can fuck up your whole shipper world...LOL.

Not nervous about CS at all...loving the angst.

• Love 1

Think the fandom, and especially the SwanQueen shipping tribe as a huge problem: Troll infestation. Said it before, but these things so smell of the work of a few, dedicated people not carrying at all about the show but having all fun to rile people up over nothing, and even better against each other. Good trolls know how to create a believable profile and look like the real deal. They are no fans, likely despise LGBTQI+ and high-five themselves for getting under the skin of people by pretending to be one of them and fueling the fire.

On the site afterellen.com, in the commentaries saw only 1 person making that accusation. I don't care about Tumblr if it comes to this anyway, it's seldom a reliable recource, people spreading rumours without any kind of evidence or credibility. Most of the fandom parts on there is to me the equivalent of playground gossip and postures.

Think, we shouldn't help the trolls to succeed, regardless of what some might thing of SwanQueen and some SwanQueen shippers. Not saying among fans are all well behaved nice people, but think on here we too take it a tad too readily at face value that some people, social media accounts, actually are what they claim to be.

Edited by myril

The term Mulan Rouge has made its way to Leanne Aguilera AND Natalie Abrams!

Folks, I think the term is happening!

And I will take it as just another sign that for many it's more about pretty faces and drooling over bodies than personality of character. Sorry, just can't find it any kickass as Aguilera does, but find it reductive.

Sometimes a pun is just a pun, not a social statement or subliminal jab at the characters. Fans could just as easily be up in arms over the name Red Warrior for the same reason people are up in arms about the NFL's Redskins name. People will react how they're going to react, so everyone can pick and choose what they call their fun little Internet ship. Prefer Savior Pirate over Captain Swan? Davargaret over Snowing? Whatever. Do what you gotta do. 

• Love 5

Oh gosh, I feel like that would be great way to troll people. Call all the couples weird shipping names. Kind of like when the accounts of certain shows, etc. try to be "hip" and "cool" but fail. I remember when the Once account called regina fans #EvilRoyals instead of Regals. The rage was hilarious.

• Love 1

Sometimes a pun is just a pun, not a social statement or subliminal jab at the characters.

And sometimes a pun can be a miss. While some find this ship name "superior" to others, and great that it picks up with others, I say I dislike it and give my reasons. Just different opinions.

edit: I don't see a jab at the characters or want a social statement with ship names, just noticing that with names and labels societal images are evoked.

Edited by myril

Ah! And do you guys remember that time ABC decided that "Hookers" as a shipper name was too un-PC, and wanted to change it? It did NOT go over well.

Hell, that sweet dear cinnamon roll Colin O'Donoghue embraced it and that guy turns red when he talks about his character's love life.

That being said, I actually did appreciate learning about the Swan Queen/Savior Queen distinction. I actually like Savior Queen so at least I have something to explain myself on the rare chances I get (Sunday night was not one of those chances).

I once called Captain Swab Savior Pirate then was told I was wrong as if I committed a sin. This is why I call them by their first names.

Love the typo! :) I first read this and thought "Who is Captain Swab? Is this another made up fandom pair that I've never heard of?" With all the shipping in this fandom, I thought for sure I had missed something. Ugh. I remember the good old day when it was just Mulder and Scully. No weird pair name. No other ships competing for air time. Just Mulder and Scully. Ah, the good old days.

Lana once tagged Snow/Charming as #PureCharm. It was cute. I don't think people have decided between Captain Book or Captain Beauty for the Hook&Belle friendship pairing. 

Having a consensus ship name/character name not only adds to the overall fun of the experience as a community, but also makes it easier to check the tags on twitter and tumblr for specific posts pertaining to that ship or character. It's fascinating how social interactions and languages continue to evolve through different social media experiences. Someone ought to do an anthropological study.

Edited by Rumsy4

Love the typo! :) I first read this and thought "Who is Captain Swab? Is this another made up fandom pair that I've never heard of?" With all the shipping in this fandom, I thought for sure I had missed something. Ugh. I remember the good old day when it was just Mulder and Scully. No weird pair name. No other ships competing for air time. Just Mulder and Scully. Ah, the good old days.

But it was Xfiles fandom that invented the term shipper. And the flame wars then were between the shippers and noromos ('no romance'). Shipper fanfic was tagged MSR (Mulder/Scully romance) and I never understood the Mulder/Krycek or the Scully/Krycek people. Kycek killed Mulder's father and Scully's sister. It didn't seem like a great idea. (And, yes, I am that much of a fandom dinosaur. See: my board name!)

Edited by shipperx
  • Love 1

Having a consensus ship name/character name not only adds to the overall fun of the experience as a community, but also makes it easier to check the tags on twitter and tumblr for specific posts pertaining to that ship or character. It's fascinating how social interactions and languages continue to evolve through different social media experiences. Someone ought to do an anthropological study.

I haven't found an anthropological study, but here's "A Linguist Explains The Grammar Of Shipping".

• Love 1
Love the typo! :) I first read this and thought "Who is Captain Swab? Is this another made up fandom pair that I've never heard of?"

Clearly, it is shipping Captain Hook with Smee. You can't call them Captain Red because it confuses Snee with Ruby and you can't call it Captain Hat because it confuses Smee with Sorcerer's Hat.  You can't even call them Captain Mouse because people will think of poor Gus Gus who Captain Hook apparently never even met.

• Love 1

But it was Xfiles fandom that invented the term shipper. And the flame wars then were between the shippers and noromos ('no romance'). Shipper fanfic was tagged MSR (Mulder/Scully romance) and I never understood the Mulder/Krycek or the Scully/Krycek people. Kycek killed Mulder's father and Scully's sister. It didn't seem like a great idea. (And, yes, I am that much of a fandom dinosaur. See: my board name!)

Love all this! I only knew about the shipper vs. non-shipper stuff back in the day. And the only reason I knew there were other shippers was because of the AOL boards I posted on. Those people also taught me about fanfic so yea, it was a life changing experience.

I was there, too! My first fandom. I was on the XF-Romantics email list. Remember email lists? LOL. We actually had a list gathering in Washington D.C. one year with about 50 of us. I actually stumbled across my picture of my Mulder & Scully action figures on the Hoover Building sign the other day when I was cleaning. Good times. The shipper vs. noromo war was brutal though. I can only imagine what it would have been like in the age of Twitter. Though I think it wouldn't be nearly as bad as the OUAT fandom, since that has multiple factions and XF really had only the two biggies.

I'm another survivor of the X-Files days, from Usenet and alt.tv.x-files. Proud NoRomo here! Back in the day, "shipper" meant "Mulder and Scully." It was only when the term started to be used elsewhere that you had to start clarifying who you meant. The cute pairing names are relatively recent, possibly due to things like Twitter and hashtags. It takes more characters to write "Hook and Emma" than "CaptainSwan." Though actually, it's fewest characters for "Hook/Emma." But since I don't discuss TV relationships on Twitter, I mostly stick to using the characters' names because I'm old school that way. And I really miss the old Usenet.

Oh, the alt board! Have you been listening to Kumail's X-Files Files podcast? He actually digs back into those to get fans' reactions from when episodes first aired.

And I'm not sure about when fandom names really started to show up. I think Bennifer had a major effect on that whole "cute couple name" thing. After Mulder and Scully, I was a Jam fan from The Office and a Charah fan from Chuck. I actually really like the fan names for ships on Once even if it can get very confusing. I don't know, the whole Captain Swan and Outlaw Queen and Snowing are just fun.

I thought the aromantic Mulder-Scully fans were the Platonics? If we apply the permutations of shipping, we can call non-romantics Plate Tectonics, and then it'll be Shippers on one side of the fandom and Quakers on another. Or Shakers. Or maybe not because I think Quakers make oatmeal. Landlubbers?

I once called Captain Swab Savior Pirate then was told I was wrong as if I committed a sin. This is why I call them by their first names.

Boo to those shippers who ruined the fact that this is a Fun Space. (I like Captain Swab for Hook/Smee. Although I starboard our Captain with all other consenting adults.)

sharky, on 18 Nov 2015 - 08:34 AM, said:

I'm not sure about when fandom names really started to show up. I think Bennifer had a major effect on that whole "cute couple name" thing. After Mulder and Scully, I was a Jam fan from The Office and a Charah fan from Chuck. I actually really like the fan names for ships on Once even if it can get very confusing. I don't know, the whole Captain Swan and Outlaw Queen and Snowing are just fun.

I abhorred the portmanteau pairing names in the Buffy fandom. I like that they keep the clever ones here (let's get ready to Rumbelle) but I'd like to know where the codenames started. Was it Dwarf Star? (Dreamy/Grumpy and Astrid, or should I say Dreamy|Grumpy / Astrid why do I feel like I'm writing the mathematical formulas for some quantum mechanic.) Or an import from another fandom?

Something interesting happened in the RWBY fandom. The main characters had a colour scheme and fairy tale schtick: Red (Riding Hood), White (Snow White), Black (Beauty and the Beast as one person who was a sexy cat lady), Yellow (Goldilocks). Some people jumped on shipping the first two as "red snow" but then realized that shipping the second and fourth would make "yellow snow" and everybody decided that was a terrible idea. I think they settled on: Freezerburn, Ladybird, Checkmate, Bumblebee, things like that.

And then the creator found out, and used the shipper names in-show for names of combination combat moves. R.I.P. Monty Oum, you left this world too soon.

Edited by Faemonic
  • Love 1

Or Shakers. Or maybe not because I think Quakers make oatmeal. Landlubbers?

I believe Shakers made furniture and did not have sex.  (Part of the reason their sect no longer really exists.)

If we're using them for a ship/nonship nickname, we'd definitely have to go with nonship.  (Unless we were being ironic, but that just seems a little . . . mean.  :)  )

Edited by Mari
  • Love 2

^ lol! kind of true. :D the latest script tease certainly shows how bitter some certain fans are though (aimed at CS, OQ, and the like). So, so bitter. I'm just sitting here, collecting their delicious tears to sip on when 5x10 and 11 air.

• Love 2

So, so bitter. I'm just sitting here, collecting their delicious tears to sip on

Yeah, I've noticed a lot of Regina fans on Twitter complaining about the lack of Regina airtime in 5A and how the show needs to stop #OnceUponAHook. Meanwhile, I'm just sitting here thinking now you guys know how Hook fans felt throughout all of 4B. The show goes in cycles. I'm going to enjoy the slightly-more-Hook-than-usual focus right now, but I know it'll go away in a couple weeks when another shiny object distracts the writers.

• Love 4

Yeah, I've noticed a lot of Regina fans on Twitter complaining about the lack of Regina airtime in 5A and how the show needs to stop #OnceUponAHook. Meanwhile, I'm just sitting here thinking now you guys know how Hook fans felt throughout all of 4B. The show goes in cycles. I'm going to enjoy the slightly-more-Hook-than-usual focus right now, but I know it'll go away in a couple weeks when another shiny object distracts the writers.

Heh. I think I read somewhere that Regina has had something like 24 flashback episodes -- isn't there a site or a poster on these boards who broke down each character's screentime? That's more than an entire season

Emma and Hook are my favorite characters, so I'm loving how much focus they're getting. 4B was rough in terms of quantity, but at least the scenes they got together were of high quality, especially for this show.

• Love 6

Yup. Cuz those evil CSers are always behind everything.

While I'm sure there's probably been a troll or two, 99% of CSers are still either weeping over 5x08, theorizing about the next episodes, or busy making pretty gifsets on top of all the gifsets they've already made for this episode.

• Love 1

@afterellen Thank you for looking into it & doing right by both ships. Any chance you'll write about our safe spaces being invaded by phobes

Okay, seriously, I can't even make this stuff up anymore. When you actually use the term "safe space" unironically...I've lost all hope.

• Love 3
Whose to say it was "the phobes" who did it? Maybe it was one of their own that cheated?

First rule of rabid fans: If we win, it's because our side is the most popular. If the other side wins, it's because they cheated or the h*ters helped them.

Second rule of rabid fans: The other side always cheats. We just have to adopt their methods to make it fair.

Third rule of rabid fans: If we got caught cheating, it is really a False Flag effort by the other side who always cheat and want us to look bad.

Edited by kili
  • Love 6

From what I understand the point was that they're up against a pairing from a show that's already over and doesn't have much of an active fandom left on social media, which is why the numbers said other pairing pulled seemed suspicious to some. Before the reset of the poll said pairing was in the lead or at least keeping it 50/50, after the reset they've fallen far behind SQ in total votes. However, all polls can be cheated on and I have no doubt it wasn't a purely one-sided thing.

Oh, I have no doubt someone cheated. I bet they both did. I just have to roll my eyes at the idea that other people in the OUAT fandom decided to express their homophobia by... giving clicks and money to a femslash site and rallying behind a femslash couple? That's some highly selective homophobia they've got there.

• Love 3