Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: You’re Lost Little Girl

Nick24
  • Start Topic

FACE YOUR FEARS – When Mary’s (Meg Donnelly) next-door neighbor mysteriously goes missing, she and John (Drake Rodger) start digging into the disappearance. During their investigation, John unexpectedly reunites with someone from his past. Carlos (JoJo Fleites) and Ada (Demetria McKinney) bond as they stakeout a potential lead for the demon’s partner.

Meanwhile, Latika (Nida Khurshid) taps into old folklore passed down from her family in hopes it helps Mary and John. Claudia Yarmy directed the episode written by Gabriel Alejandro Garza (#103). Original Airdate 10/25/2022.

This might be my favorite episode so far.

I liked Bori Baba and the way it tries to attract its victims. The monster itself looked creepy. In fact, I'm really glad that monsters look like, you know, monsters😄

I liked that girl with her bunny. IDK why, but it reminded me of Dean's bunny from SPN 12.11 ''Regarding Dean''.

And here is Mary. Wow, I really felt for her when she was talking to John about not being able to realize who she is without hunting. I mean, she wants to find her dad and quit all of it, but at the same time she's so scared of it, because she's probably thinking that she might not get used to normal life or that normal life she craves won't make her feel better, won't make her feel safe. She's so confused. Meg really impressed me in that scene. She succeeded in showing Mary's vulnerability and inner softness in some way. I can also see her pain when she was talking about never having a chance to dream of anything but hunting. Reminds of the similar pain we could see in Dean when he was talking to Gordon in 2.03 ''Bloodlust'' about what he was doing when he was 16 and what other people at the same age were. 

Looks like John had some serious relationship with Bets(?).

The Akrida leader collects something from all those monsters. Maybe she attracts them to Lawrence in order to get that something from different kinds of monster to destroy them all later.

All in all, I liked it very much.

• Like 3
  • Love 5

I just felt like this was underwhelming.  I’m still not feeling this at all and was pretty bored.  Everything was just so predictable and just eh.  I was getting to the halfway point of the episode and wondering if anything was really going to happen, then I waited til the end to see if Dean would show up.  Is every episode just going to be “count the parallels” between this show and the OG series?  I also was a bit taken out by John’s declarations about Mary, like, basically,  “I can’t live without you and I need you,” but you’ve known her at this point all of about what, five minutes?  At least Drake looked good and John reminded me of Sam when he lit the match and watched the monster’s body burn.

Edited by BornToDie
Added content
  • Love 2

They tried hard, but there really was no tension.  That Mary and the children would be okay was totally predictable. No one’s going to die on this series. (With Sam and Dean you never really knew 🤣). I’m not feeling any chemistry between the four main characters yet. No one seems to have much of a sense of humour either.

The final few minutes were the highlight of the hour.  Love the music.  Hope this series finds its way soon. 

• Love 1

I really liked the story of this episode. The new monster was interesting. 

They are showing little snippets of all the characters backgrounds instead of info-dumping. Ada wanted  to be a witch, John had been in a serious relationship (involving a ring!), Latika not totally honest about her "dead" parents.

Questions though, where is Mary's mother? Why does the inside of the Campbell house look so huge next to the neighbor's house? Why did John have to run so far to get to the neighbors house, wasn't it just next door?

Drake does the intense scenes pretty well, also looks good doing the running and jumping, unless that was a stunt man. Meg is growing on me. Absolutely love Ada's character. Carlos didn't seem to have a lot to do this episode. The actors really eem to be embracing their characters.

Was Ada torturing the demon in the bonsai at the end? Wonder if the guy with Mary at the movies is going to be part of the story?

The cloaked figure was the Akrida hiding out in Roxie the Radio DJ.  When they were doing the reveal, I half expected to see Alaina Huffman (Abaddon) even though "Josie" wouldn't have been there in 1972.

• Love 6

Almost gave up on that one last night but I'm glad I hung in there. Had a real hard time staying interested in the characters in the beginning. They still seemed like generic stock characters that you would find in Charmed or Legacies. It still doesn't feel like it's in the same universe as the old show even with John and Mary and some of the old lore. On a technical level I love the monster side of things. Robbie's strong suit seems to be creatures and lore. Loved that we have visually interesting monsters and that they are based on folklore we aren't familiar with but can find out about after the episodes. Also loved some of expansion of the old lore. About 2/3 the way through I was surprised that Ada was the actual stand out up to that point. I loved the Demon tree trap. It's interesting, imaginative and could lead to future stories. The very end turned some things around for me. I really liked Mary at the end of the episode. They need more character moments like that. I really felt that Ada and Mary were the MVPs of the ep. The Betty thing was a bit annoying, and Mary's date screams evil monster. The main issue with Betty is what could be one of the main issues in the future. It's not impossible, but it is hard to believe that a policewoman in 1972 would be on patrol alone or even as much of the initial investigation as she was. The uniform was also way too modern, and it would have been a bit more realistic if John was at least surprised or acknowledged how weird that would be considering the time he was living in. I know if they showed the 70's as it really was there would be massive criticism so I understand why they did it, but this type of thing will be noticeable. Carlos on the other hand is so far the most authentically 70's character on the show. The DJ, once again she is so coded Rowena that it will seem like a rip off if she is not. I know Rowena doesn't age so Ruth should portray her but two red head witches with purple, pink magic effects seem way to coincidental.

Overall, the episode was fine. It's the first one that I didn't watch a second time the next day and don't know if I will revisit any time soon. The ratings improved though, so there is hope that this show will be given enough time for the actors to grow into their roles and make it feel more like a prequel than any other random supernatural themed show.

I loved this episode, thought it was the strongest yet.  Robbie Thompson said in an interview that when he read this one he felt like they'd hit the sweet spot and I agree.  Actually a strength I've felt about the show since the beginning is that it feels like just like the same universe as SPN.  Different characters sure, but I have no trouble believing this is a 1970's version of the world we saw in SPN set in the 2000's.  I loved Mary's neighbor kids - I really cared about what happened to them esp because it was so clear that Mary cared about them, I cared for their own and her sake.  And I loved that they had their priorities straight - when they found out how to go home, they just did it.

I think we're supposed to be getting the hint with John is that he's very impulsive.  He and Betty were really young, even for that time, and he asked her to marry him. He was moving way too fast. He's known Mary probably a couple of months now(it had been a few weeks between the pilot and last week's episode, let's say another week or so here) and he's absolutely desperate that he'll lose her.  In another sense, he ran off and joined the military instead of finishing high school(leaving behind both his mother and Betty) - which in a way, just shows little Dean had good reason to worry if he wasn't up to snuff and didn't take care of things and didn't listen to his dad, John might just ditch them, Dean always had good instincts). 

Both scenes between them on the CB's were very affecting, even if he is moving way too fast, John was clearly desperate about it and Mary was determined to save those kids. They really do have a lot of chemistry.  Her fear of not knowing what she was without hunting and what she would do with her life was also done really well, I teared up a bit.

Actually John's words "none of this works without Mary" did make me wonder if JOHN might be the reason for the changes, is it something HE did to try and change the past, even if his younger self isn't entirely aware, there may be a sense of it.

It's also interesting that all these different types of monsters, it's NOT normal - they are connected to the overarching storyline - there aren't supposed to be all these farflung monsters showing up.  Are the Akrida responsible for it or are they just trying to use it to their advantage?  How is that connected to what is going on?

Also for reference a 1972 graduating class of policewoman in 1972, I believe this is in Missouri so not to far away from Kansas.  When was Betty on patrol alone? 

Screenshot(2).png

Edited by tessathereaper
  • Love 7
(edited)
18 hours ago, tessathereaper said:

I think we're supposed to be getting the hint with John is that he's very impulsive.  He and Betty were really young, even for that time, and he asked her to marry him. He was moving way too fast. He's known Mary probably a couple of months now(it had been a few weeks between the pilot and last week's episode, let's say another week or so here) and he's absolutely desperate that he'll lose her.  

I think that scene with John kinda losing his mind over what might happen to Mary gives us some glimpse of why Mary's death is going to affect him that much. John might be that kind of person who gets too attached to people. At this point they aren't very close, tbh, but it felt like John's world was about to fall apart if something would have happened to Mary in this ep. Apparently, John's feelings toward her will get stronger, especially after their marriage and the kids, so this is more understandable why her death ruined him. Of course, this doesn't justify what he's done to his children. This is really exciting to follow though this is also very tragic. Anyway, Drake continues to impress me, too.

Edited by Nick24
  • Like 2
  • Love 3

One more thing. The more I like this Mary (and I really like Meg's Mary), the more I hate SPN S12-14 Mary. I can't even imagine, how this Mary who we can see here, who's wondering who she is, who's saying that she never got to dream of anything, how on earth that same person could ever tell Dean ''You are not a child'' (Ep 12.14). Oh my, Amara must've brought back someone else who just happened to look like Mary and have Mary's memories. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
57 minutes ago, tessathereaper said:

I loved this episode, thought it was the strongest yet.  Robbie Thompson said in an interview that when he read this one he felt like they'd hit the sweet spot and I agree.  Actually a strength I've felt about the show since the beginning is that it feels like just like the same universe as SPN.  Different characters sure, but I have no trouble believing this is a 1970's version of the world we saw in SPN set in the 2000's.  I loved Mary's neighbor kids - I really cared about what happened to them esp because it was so clear that Mary cared about them, I cared for their own and her sake.  And I loved that they had their priorities straight - when they found out how to go home, they just did it.

I think we're supposed to be getting the hint with John is that he's very impulsive.  He and Betty were really young, even for that time, and he asked her to marry him. He was moving way too fast. He's known Mary probably a couple of months now(it had been a few weeks between the pilot and last week's episode, let's say another week or so here) and he's absolutely desperate that he'll lose her.  In another sense, he ran off and joined the military instead of finishing high school(leaving behind both his mother and Betty) - which in a way, just shows little Dean had good reason to worry if he wasn't up to snuff and didn't take care of things and didn't listen to his dad, John might just ditch them, Dean always had good instincts). 

Both scenes between them on the CB's were very affecting, even if he is moving way too fast, John was clearly desperate about it and Mary was determined to save those kids. They really do have a lot of chemistry.  Her fear of not knowing what she was without hunting and what she would do with her life was also done really well, I teared up a bit.

Actually John's words "none of this works without Mary" did make me wonder if JOHN might be the reason for the changes, is it something HE did to try and change the past, even if his younger self isn't entirely aware, there may be a sense of it.

It's also interesting that all these different types of monsters, it's NOT normal - they are connected to the overarching storyline - there aren't supposed to be all these farflung monsters showing up.  Are the Akrida responsible for it or are they just trying to use it to their advantage?  How is that connected to what is going on?

Also for reference a 1972 graduating class of policewoman in 1972, I believe this is in Missouri so not to far away from Kansas.  When was Betty on patrol alone? 

Screenshot(2).png

Probably many examples in 1972 that apply. Betty wasn’t impossible. What’s weird to me is how shows like Batwoman and Charmed made way bigger deals over sexism while a show set in the 70’s presents it as no big deal. Now I know the landscape changed and what the CW wants is different so it may be a pivot. It is probably a choice that those things don’t need attention and that may be the better play considering how controversial everything is now.

As for the uniform, wardrobe could be better. The police uniform just looked a little modern to me compared to the movies and shows from the 70’s. Part of that might be budget and the rest is that people probably wouldn’t like authentic 70’s fashion and hair styles that much. 

The Betty on patrol thing, I thought she got out of a police car when she talked to John at night. If I’m wrong about that then I’ll wait and see. A show set in the 70’s is going to have many challenges, being too modern may not matter at all in the big picture.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, MAK said:

Absolutely love Ada's character.

Ada was quite interesting in this episode. She seems to have nerves of steel when dealing with the demon.  When he tries to taunt her about having been possessed, she doesn’t really react, but there are hints of a deep rage underneath her cool exterior, and she makes sure that the demon regrets messing with her. She already knows what she is going to do with the demon from the very beginning, as she sits in the van preparing her little bonsai tree. And after they capture the demon, when she says to Carlos in her soft, calm voice, “Let’s take him someplace quiet, so we can talk with him first”, it is actually quite a chilling moment.

2 hours ago, MAK said:

Was Ada torturing the demon in the bonsai at the end?

If she isn't, I think she wishes that she could!

Another thing that is interesting about Ada and the bonsai tree, is that it shows how Ada does not seem to feel any need to consult with the others or even explain what she is going to do before she does it. As with the automatic writing spell, she keeps her own counsel, and just goes ahead and carries out her plans, without reporting back to Mary first as Carlos assumes they will. It might create an interesting dynamic between her and the others.

Plus, of course, it is kind of cool to see the demon so terrified of being trapped in the little tree. I’ve always thought there was something sort of magical about a bonsai tree, but it was a surprise to see that the demon found it a fate worse than being in Hell. Also I like the idea that demons can possess non-human living things (reminded me of Jesus Christ in the Bible, casting out demons from a man and putting them into a herd of pigs instead) because it opens up different story possibilities.

Another unexpected moment which I liked is when Mary turns to tell the children that they have to give up the beloved object that the Bori Baba is using to keep them trapped. I expected that little Carrie would be very upset to give up Bernice and would need a lot of convincing, and was totally surprised when before Mary has said a word, Carrie rips off Bernice’s head and is like, “Sorry, Bernice, I’m going home!” (Shades of Dean and the sacrificed rabbit in “Malleus Maleficarum”: “Why does the rabbit always get screwed in the deal?” 😄)  Poor Bernice! – but it was actually pretty funny. And I liked Carrie stomping on the Bori Baba’s head after John cuts it off – like Ada, she is definitely a force to be reckoned with! 

• Love 8

So the monster of the week basically lived in a big blanket fort huh? Looks like they didn't have to spend much on sets this week.

Not sold on Meg Donnelly's acting abilities. I'm used to seeing her do comedy on American Housewife. Her attempt at a more serious tone is coming off as stilted and wooden to me. 

It's only been three weeks and I've already forgotten a lot of the premise. What happened to Mary's father and what happened to John's father?

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Bergamot said:

Ada was quite interesting in this episode. She seems to have nerves of steel when dealing with the demon.  When he tries to taunt her about having been possessed, she doesn’t really react, but there are hints of a deep rage underneath her cool exterior, and she makes sure that the demon regrets messing with her. She already knows what she is going to do with the demon from the very beginning, as she sits in the van preparing her little bonsai tree. And after they capture the demon, when she says to Carlos in her soft, calm voice, “Let’s take him someplace quiet, so we can talk with him first”, it is actually quite a chilling moment.

If she isn't, I think she wishes that she could!

Another thing that is interesting about Ada and the bonsai tree, is that it shows how Ada does not seem to feel any need to consult with the others or even explain what she is going to do before she does it. As with the automatic writing spell, she keeps her own counsel, and just goes ahead and carries out her plans, without reporting back to Mary first as Carlos assumes they will. It might create an interesting dynamic between her and the others.

Plus, of course, it is kind of cool to see the demon so terrified of being trapped in the little tree. I’ve always thought there was something sort of magical about a bonsai tree, but it was a surprise to see that the demon found it a fate worse than being in Hell. Also I like the idea that demons can possess non-human living things (reminded me of Jesus Christ in the Bible, casting out demons from a man and putting them into a herd of pigs instead) because it opens up different story possibilities.

Another unexpected moment which I liked is when Mary turns to tell the children that they have to give up the beloved object that the Bori Baba is using to keep them trapped. I expected that little Carrie would be very upset to give up Bernice and would need a lot of convincing, and was totally surprised when before Mary has said a word, Carrie rips off Bernice’s head and is like, “Sorry, Bernice, I’m going home!” (Shades of Dean and the sacrificed rabbit in “Malleus Maleficarum”: “Why does the rabbit always get screwed in the deal?” 😄)  Poor Bernice! – but it was actually pretty funny. And I liked Carrie stomping on the Bori Baba’s head after John cuts it off – like Ada, she is definitely a force to be reckoned with! 

I'm going to co-sign every word of this post.

And add that I also agree with the poster who said that this was Mary and Ada's episode.

I loved when Mary said "You found me once, John Winchester. You can find me again." because I have a strong feeling that they've found each other again, way more than once, and time after time.

I really got Gaidal Cain and Birgitte vibes from The Wheel of Time from that exchange.

And Ada is Amazing.

But the best line of the episode went to Carrie AFAIC.

"Stupid monster!" as she stomped on it's head.

• Love 6
On 10/25/2022 at 6:26 PM, Nick24 said:

And here is Mary. Wow, I really felt for her when she was talking to John about not being able to realize who she is without hunting. I mean, she wants to find her dad and quit all of it, but at the same time she's so scared of it, because she's probably thinking that she might not get used to normal life or that normal life she craves won't make her feel better, won't make her feel safe.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Meg's version of Mary, especially after Dabb's trainwreck version. She's got more toughness than Amy G's version, but a lot more softness than Dabb's and even Sam Smith's OG character.

But this dialog was interesting in that it's the very first time I could maybe - loathe as I am to do it - see some of what could have motivated Dabb's trainwreck, why she was more interested in hunting than being a mother or even just a decent person. As I said, it's softer coming from Meg Donnelly and this writing team, but the realization that Mary may never be able to give up hunting tracks with her trainwreck resurrection.

I thought the Bori Baba was very reminiscent of Supernatural season one urban legends scares - something the show lost when the Lucifer mythology started to ramp up. I liked this MotW a lot.

And it's easy to see already where John would fall apart after Mary's eventual death - he's already way more into her than she is in him, and they still barely know each other. Obviously John is a passionately impulsive guy anyway, like when he proposed to Betty before he ran off to war.

Ada is a little more interesting every week, and a little scarier too. I can easily see where she might go darkside in the future.

So the redhead at the end is the Akrida vessel, I assume, and not Rowena as I thought last week. Pity, I was looking forward to seeing Ruth again - though it's still not out of the realm of possibility.

All in all, I'm very much enjoying the show every week.

• Like 2
  • Love 6

I'm enjoying the show so far.  It hasn't quite grabbed me the way Supernatural did but, I don't think anything will ever be able to match the insane chemistry Jensen and Jared had from the jump.

I do like the characters and the show seems to be finding its momentum more and more with each episode.

What is killing it for me is all the blasted ads.  I'm watching on CW streaming the day after and there are a ridiculous number of ads.

Am I misremembering or, didn't they used to stream without commercials?

I think this show would really benefit from uninterrupted viewing to help keep the episode's momentum going.

It's hard to have any sort of build up when you have maybe 10 minute snippets of show and what feels like 20 minutes worth of ads. It almost feels like more ads than program.

Another solid episode, and a creepy monster! So glad the show is attempting to get back to SPN's scary roots.

Something I love about this show is the chance to get to know John & Mary and see their bond, which really puts it into perspective what John lost. It was always sort of abstract before, we knew they were in love but we never felt a connection because we didn't see it. No one bats an eye at the ways Sam & Dean react to losing each other, because we've seen their relationship and we're attached to it. The extremes they go to for each other over and over again are tragic, but understandable. Yet not many ppl look at John & Mary like that. Now, actually watching their friendship form and evolve, I know I'm already mourning Mary more than I was before and it's easy to imagine how losing her will destroy John. 

• Like 1
  • Love 8
42 minutes ago, goyour-own-way said:

Another solid episode, and a creepy monster! So glad the show is attempting to get back to SPN's scary roots.

Something I love about this show is the chance to get to know John & Mary and see their bond, which really puts it into perspective what John lost. It was always sort of abstract before, we knew they were in love but we never felt a connection because we didn't see it. No one bats an eye at the ways Sam & Dean react to losing each other, because we've seen their relationship and we're attached to it. The extremes they go to for each other over and over again are tragic, but understandable. Yet not many ppl look at John & Mary like that. Now, actually watching their friendship form and evolve, I know I'm already mourning Mary more than I was before and it's easy to imagine how losing her will destroy John. 

I know.  Every once in a while while watching her fate pops into my head and it's just so much sadder.  It was always a sad thing but like you said more abstract.

12 hours ago, Myrelle said:

I loved when Mary said "You found me once, John Winchester. You can find me again." because I have a strong feeling that they've found each other again, way more than once, and time after time.

That's a good point. I wouldn't be surprised.  

• Love 4

First of all, can I just say how happy I am to have actual cool creepy monsters again? When Supernatural became all about demons and angels and cosmic forces, it felt like we hardly got any cool monsters anymore, it was just people with weird glowing eyes or smoke creatures all of the time, I just love having actual creatures to fight again. 

You can really see the show settling in now, I am really enjoying it. I like its back to basic format, its a lot like the first season of Supernatural's focus on urban legends, but now its monsters from around the world, which is a lot of fun and gives us a variety of monsters to explore. Even better, its actually plot relevant, as the AkridaI is apparently bringing together tons of monsters from around the world for some kind of evil scheme. I also like how the show is rather subtly exploring the characters and giving us information about them, like Ada wanting to be a witch and Latika lying about her parents being dead. 

Ada is a scary chick, her sticking that demon in the bonsai tree was chilling and pretty awesome. Demons are going to learn to be scared of her right soon. Demons being able to possess inanimate objects is a cool idea, it makes me wonder why more people aren't sticking demons into things, like a bunch of demonic Pokeballs. I know that a lot of hunters have an aversion to magic, but how cool would it have been if Dean was driving around with a whole deck of baseball cards of demons in his trunk he could pull out from time to time for information?

I really liked Mary's neighbor kids, I knew that they would be alright but I was still really invested in them being able to get out of this alright. Smart kids too, they know to prioritize escaping monsters over their toys. "Stupid Monster!" 

John sure does attach himself to relationships quickly, totally freaking out at the idea of losing Mary after only a few weeks and apparently exchanging rings with Betty quite young. Interesting that this episode is possibly setting both John and Mary up with new love interests, John's old girlfriend and this guy Mary met at the movies, although I have my suspicions about movie guy being a monster or demon. Mary and John have great chemistry and I really am invested in them and their relationship, which lends an air of tragedy to this whole show. We know that things end badly for them, that John will give his sons about as many daddy issues as his dad gave to him, and that losing Mary will drive him past the edge and Mary will die tragically and then be brought back only to be unable to give up the hunter lifestyle even when she got a second chance with her sons, and then they both die anyway, but for now they're two young people who are adorably batting their eye lashes at each other with their whole lives ahead of them, dreaming of the future. 

• Like 2
  • Love 4

Not yet.  

Was Dean/Jensen supposed to be an ancient emperor or deity? Like those memes of Biblical Mary looking like Lady Gaga.

Wonder if it is going to tie up with whatever is revealed in Ep 13.

• Useful 1
8 hours ago, MAK said:

Not yet.  

Was Dean/Jensen supposed to be an ancient emperor or deity? Like those memes of Biblical Mary looking like Lady Gaga.

Wasn't that realm where the burlap monster took those that lost or were missing something? What did Dean lose or what was missing? Has he been trapped there after finding what was lost in the burlap sack? Or was Dean the missing person/object and he needs to be "found"?

I think there are tons of clues all over these episodes. I think that was what Robbie meant when he said intrepid SPN fans will figure it out by ep 3 or 4.

• Useful 6
On 10/29/2022 at 9:37 AM, MAK said:

Not yet.  

Totally missed it.  But to be fair, I'm only watching once.

I have enjoyed that they are doing Old school monsters of the week vs demons and angels.

I liked the characters a little more, but still not hooked.  Many have stated the issues well.

I think one of the missing ingredients that Dean brought to the table was a larger-than-life joy of hunting.  Not that it was always funny, but the passion for the hunt...We don't really have someone that fits that yet.  John is learning.  Mary wants out.

Carlos is the closest to fit the bill, but he wasn't really that for this ep.  The pacing may be off.  Although there are some really strong moments, there are still plenty of yawn moments. 

The kids were a nice strong addition to the ep.  The ending worked.  The music always seems to be spot on.

Supernatural season 1 had some off eps, too, but usually the boys pulled you in.  As the chemistry grows with this cast, perhaps we will feel the same?

• Like 3
  • Love 1