Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: The Bird Cage

jenrising
  • Start Topic

The Joi/Jacob argument was interesting. It actually leaned me a bit away from Jacob being the Mole. Not a whole lot, but Joi did point out that despite Jacob not bringing in any money himself, he hasn't been the sole cause for money to be lost, not like Kesi. He's still top on my list, but Kesi will always remain in the first spot, unless she gets eliminated.

I love that Avori caught Joi's double bluff.

Greg's out, which is great for me. He was one I was considering to put back on my suspect list so I'm glad he got rid of that idea. HOWEVER, he was also most vocal about Jacob AND Kesi being the Mole, which worries me. Did Greg change his answers to all one person? And if so, was that Jacob? If so, that clearly clears Jacob of being the Mole. It does sound like Joi changed Greg's mind, which means Jacob may not be the Mole, after all. Plus, Greg being gone eliminates the biggest person against Kesi.

Oh, a Hide and Seek mission! Avori's the Hider, which could be a lot of fun.

I don't like Will. His confessionals about Jacob the last two episodes have bordered on being mean. 

Now that I got my top two suspects (Kesi being my biggest suspect), I can start keeping a much closer eye on Kesi/Jacob and clues for them being the Mole. 

Kesi had the binoculars, so lying about seeing or not seeing a clue are way higher.

Jacob has a good idea but Will is, once again, treating Jacob like an idiot. And what's worse is that he doesn't even think Jacob could be the Mole, he's just calling Jacob stupid for no reason.

Impressive a pigeon knows exactly where to go.

Avori not seeing the number could be suspicious, but she could have also just never called the number as the Mole. Or waited even longer to ensure Will/Jacob couldn't have gotten there in time. Which they didn't, but that wasn't necessarily on them. 

I love that we FINALLY get an elimination at the end of the episode, and then they cut to a cliffhanger. My suspicions are that Jacob is leaving, though, which will officially bring it to my number one suspect since early on. Joi's been too much of a main player thus far to leave right now.

Will's 100% not the Mole. He's getting way too mean and pissy in the endgame not to be gunning for that money. Joi is also not the Mole for me. She's been very blatant, sure, but there have been people who have left AFTER being insistent on Joi being the Mole. Osei, for one, who had his eyes set on Joi so unless he was lying in his episode 1 confessionals, it's very likely she isn't.

Avori and Jacob are on my Could Be...But I'm Thinking Maybe Not list. Jacob had opportunity to stall and he was the one who took charge on finding the phone number. That wouldn't be what the Mole would do at this stage. Avori's done stuff that is Mole-like, but also has done stuff that isn't.

Kesi's on my Probably The Mole list. She hasn't been fully helpful, she's gotten trust from everyone, even when she's screwed them, and the only one who had actively said she's the Mole in their eyes was Greg, and he just got eliminated because of the Joi/Jacob distraction.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

I'm really thinking Kesi too. She's been top of my list for a while. She's a good slow burn mole I think.

I really liked this episode. All of my favorite players are pretty much gone but it was a fun one. I also feel like Alex is relaxing into the hosting role well, hopefully they'll do another season. 

• Like 1
  • Love 5

Eight episodes in and I still don't understand why they are centering the narrative on William, who is so dislikable. I feel that he gets the most talking heads (and that's with there being too much TH as it is). I fear that we are heading towards his win, which will be as bad as that angry winner from mole 5 (the Jon Kelly version).

This was a good challenge, though probably easier than any of these type of challenges from original mole. I didn't understand how Avori would know about the birds 'flying in circles' when the park is not where Avori is.

I also disliked the one game per episode in the last 2 episodes. Thought we should have at least two or more games each episode.

Edited by argrow
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Love 5

I'm so torn. Kesi's behaviour seems the most suspicious lately, but Jacob's talking heads sometimes make me think it could be him, because he words things strangely -- like when he was like, "Down to four players, except five players, the fifth one being the mole" or when he said "The mole is trying to trick the players" (or something similar) instead of "The mole is trying to trick us."

Avori also made it sound like she split her votes between Jacob and Joi -- but that could be the show misdirecting us.

Finally, I know they don't want the players to talk to each other after the elimination because they don't want them to share information about who they voted for and whatnot, but it's so awkward and sad that they have to just leave silently.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

The Joi/Jacob argument was interesting. It actually leaned me a bit away from Jacob being the Mole. Not a whole lot, but Joi did point out that despite Jacob not bringing in any money himself, he hasn't been the sole cause for money to be lost, not like Kesi. He's still top on my list, but Kesi will always remain in the first spot, unless she gets eliminated.

I love that Avori caught Joi's double bluff.

Greg's out, which is great for me. He was one I was considering to put back on my suspect list so I'm glad he got rid of that idea. HOWEVER, he was also most vocal about Jacob AND Kesi being the Mole, which worries me. Did Greg change his answers to all one person? And if so, was that Jacob? If so, that clearly clears Jacob of being the Mole. It does sound like Joi changed Greg's mind, which means Jacob may not be the Mole, after all. Plus, Greg being gone eliminates the biggest person against Kesi.

Oh, a Hide and Seek mission! Avori's the Hider, which could be a lot of fun.

I don't like Will. His confessionals about Jacob the last two episodes have bordered on being mean. 

Now that I got my top two suspects (Kesi being my biggest suspect), I can start keeping a much closer eye on Kesi/Jacob and clues for them being the Mole. 

Kesi had the binoculars, so lying about seeing or not seeing a clue are way higher.

Jacob has a good idea but Will is, once again, treating Jacob like an idiot. And what's worse is that he doesn't even think Jacob could be the Mole, he's just calling Jacob stupid for no reason.

Impressive a pigeon knows exactly where to go.

Avori not seeing the number could be suspicious, but she could have also just never called the number as the Mole. Or waited even longer to ensure Will/Jacob couldn't have gotten there in time. Which they didn't, but that wasn't necessarily on them. 

I love that we FINALLY get an elimination at the end of the episode, and then they cut to a cliffhanger. My suspicions are that Jacob is leaving, though, which will officially bring it to my number one suspect since early on. Joi's been too much of a main player thus far to leave right now.

Will's 100% not the Mole. He's getting way too mean and pissy in the endgame not to be gunning for that money. Joi is also not the Mole for me. She's been very blatant, sure, but there have been people who have left AFTER being insistent on Joi being the Mole. Osei, for one, who had his eyes set on Joi so unless he was lying in his episode 1 confessionals, it's very likely she isn't.

Avori and Jacob are on my Could Be...But I'm Thinking Maybe Not list. Jacob had opportunity to stall and he was the one who took charge on finding the phone number. That wouldn't be what the Mole would do at this stage. Avori's done stuff that is Mole-like, but also has done stuff that isn't.

Kesi's on my Probably The Mole list. She hasn't been fully helpful, she's gotten trust from everyone, even when she's screwed them, and the only one who had actively said she's the Mole in their eyes was Greg, and he just got eliminated because of the Joi/Jacob distraction.

You wrote almost everything I was planning on posting.

Whether he is the mole or not the meanness being directed at Jacob is impacting my ability to enjoy the show. 

If it’s not Kesi or Jacob the actual mole sucks at being the mole. If it’s not Kesi the show screwed up by not picking her. She’s playing exactly how the mole should play the game. 

Now that we are down to only two episodes left it would probably be interesting to rewatch the early episode and focus on the ones left. 

Greg goes home.  I had given up thinking he could be the mole.  

Kesi sure was stalling on the challenge.  She was looking in the wrong place with the binoculars.  Joi kept asking her for help and Kesi was not cooperative.  Kesi then wanted to send the wrong pigeon. Very molish.

Avori tries hard to look like the mole.  But it seems like Dom, Pranav and others have gone home when suspecting her.  She did not see the phone number on the pizza box.  But why didn't Jacob tell her the number was on the side,   He also could have just told her the number off the box.  It drove me crazy.

William worked hard to keep the red scooters guys straight.  The mole could have easily screwed that.  But Will didn't.

Avori mentioned that Jacob never asks any of them personal questions.  She has no idea how he is still there when he can't pass the quiz if he doesn't know the details about them.  I have noticed Will, Greg and Avori among others have mentioned Jacob seems a bit dumb.  He still passes the quiz.  The mole would not need to ask questions.  

We are down to Joi or Jacob going home.  If Joi goes home I think Jacob is the mole.  If Jacob goes home I think Kesi is the mole.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

So Jacob had the idea of exactly what to do but waited till it was too late. Not suspicious at all. Of course had Avori figured it out sooner, they might have still made it, but I don't believe for a second that it was that close as editing made it out to be in the end.

Of course Kesi did a lot of stalling this episode, but I think that might just be her personality. Jacob on the other hand also briefly tried to pick out the wrong delivery driver, just backed off really quick once it became clear that Will was sure who the right one was. Which is really moleish behaviour. (unless there was deceptive editing. The drivers might have switched places at some point)

Then again, Avori is my other mole pick and not checking the box for a number was pretty damn dumb. Though I could see it being the stress of the situation and the flaps of the lid did obscure the number when you looked from above.

Will does give really good reaction-face.

Edited by PurpleTentacle
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 10/14/2022 at 4:43 PM, Lady Calypso said:

I think next week will makle it more obvious if Jacob is the mole or not. Joi was sure he wasn't, even if she said the opposite publically. So she clearly still voted for somebody other than Jacob. If Joi is out next week, Jacob becomes the very likely suspect.

Of course if Jacob is out he can't be the mole, but I don't believe he will be.

On 10/14/2022 at 4:43 PM, Lady Calypso said:

Greg wouldn't have taken Joi's word for it. So I doubt he changed his vote to Jacob. What I could see is him thinking he's clever and changing his vote away from Jacob because of what Joi said. That would mean that Jacob is the mole.

I'm still standing by my gut feeling of Jacob having been the only one who didn't annoy the hell out of me during their confessionals in episode one. The only other person was Joi. So my gut will have a clear answer next week.

On 10/15/2022 at 12:12 AM, jenrising said:

I'm really thinking Kesi too. She's been top of my list for a while. She's a good slow burn mole I think.

I don't think she got enough screen time. If she is the mole I'm going to call shenanigans. Because the show didn't give us enough to possibly figure it out.

On 10/15/2022 at 12:31 AM, argrow said:

I didn't understand how Avori would know about the birds 'flying in circles' when the park is not where Avori is.

Either there were also doves flying there or she is the mole.

17 hours ago, LakeGal said:

But why didn't Jacob tell her the number was on the side,

Or just tell her the number on the phone? He had the same number on the pizza carton in front of him. Or just give the order to the woman in person, with Avori relaying the details. I can believe that Will was too air-headed to think of that, but I don't believe Jacob would be.

17 hours ago, LakeGal said:

Avori mentioned that Jacob never asks any of them personal questions.  She has no idea how he is still there when he can't pass the quiz if he doesn't know the details about them.  I have noticed Will, Greg and Avori among others have mentioned Jacob seems a bit dumb.  He still passes the quiz.  The mole would not need to ask questions.  

He also doesn't seem that dumb from what we see of him. So he might be playing dumb to the other contestents.

But him not asking personal questions is of course a massive red flag. Plus a few other red flags: How exactly was he cast, if he is from the middle of nowhere, in the middle of the pandemic? Does he really look like a fire fighter to you? Isn't he trying a bit hard to seem like "salt of the earth" with all his flannel shirts?

On the other hand, is not asking questions too big of a red flag? Maybe he has been sure of who the mole is from week one, because of something he observed and zeroed in on that person?

Edited by PurpleTentacle
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, PurpleTentacle said:

But him not asking personal questions is of course a massive red flag. Plus a few other red flags: How exactly was he cast, if he is from the middle of nowhere, in the middle of the pandemic? Does he really look like a fire fighter to you? Isn't he trying a bit hard to seem like "salt of the earth" with all his flannel shirts?

On the other hand, is not asking questions too big of a red flag? Maybe he has been sure of who the mole is from week one, because of something he observed and zeroed in on that person?

If we’re going to doubt professions, I doubt Joi is a pilot. For one thing, she says it at least once every episode. It’s as annoying as someone who mentions they went to Harvard all the time. Jacob repelled like a champ (firefighters train to repel) and he crossed the canyon really fast. I could believe he’s a firefighter. Where is everyone else from?  I honestly didn’t pay that close attention to where they are actually FROM to know if that’s a red flag or not. He also could be like many other reality show contestants that moved to LA but say they’re from whatever their original hometown, per the producers. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Whimsy said:

If we’re going to doubt professions, I doubt Joi is a pilot. For one thing, she says it at least once every episode.

Yeah that one seems fishy, too. Of course that might just be reality show lies and not mole lies.

We'll know in a few days which one of the two is definitely not the mole.

1 hour ago, Whimsy said:

Jacob repelled like a champ (firefighters train to repel) and he crossed the canyon really fast.

The repelling looked about average to me and he lacked behind with Casey most of the time while crossing the canyon.

1 hour ago, Whimsy said:

Where is everyone else from?

I had no idea till now. Which is what makes it interesting that I know where Jacob is from. According to the bios @LakeGal linked, all the others seem to be from major cities. Jacob is the only one supposedly from a small town with less than 1000 people.

Edit: Can such small villages in the US even afford their own fire departments with paid fire fighters? I live in a town with 14.000 people in Germany and all we have are volunteer fire department. Maybe he is a fire fighter in a bigger city nearby (or nearish, because there isn't one super near), but then why didn't he ever mention that?

1 hour ago, Whimsy said:

He also could be like many other reality show contestants that moved to LA but say they’re from whatever their original hometown, per the producers. 

But he constantly plays up that he is a fireman in his home town. Also during the bank heist he was like "oh I've never even seen any money but the dollar, in my life." In general he seems to play up the small town bumpkin a bit much. Of course that could also be about throwing off the other contestants, but it is suspicious.

Edited by PurpleTentacle
  • Love 1

I really hope that their professions aren’t lies. This show didn’t do that in the past and it wouldn’t be hard to find out the truth with social media. I would guess that most of them are also wannabe models or actors. 

5 hours ago, Dani said:

I really hope that their professions aren’t lies. This show didn’t do that in the past and it wouldn’t be hard to find out the truth with social media. I would guess that most of them are also wannabe models or actors. 

I mean, we've had "but I've never left the US before!" as a running D-plot this season even though because of Covid they were only casting expats who were already living in Australia, so...

• LOL 1
6 minutes ago, SnideAsides said:

I mean, we've had "but I've never left the US before!" as a running D-plot this season even though because of Covid they were only casting expats who were already living in Australia, so...

Wait, what? Are you sure? I’ve seen Casey’s social media and she was living in the US before and after filming. 

Ok so I caved and watched this last episode as well.   I feel like this may be Joi's swan song episode.    They made it a point in last episode to show that she was stirring things up and that may have got Greg eliminated.    So she stirs things up again but this time she winds up playing herself.   I still think it's between Kasi and Jacob as the Mole.    Five more days till the reveal...or will they make it a cliff hanger ending after ten and save the reveal for the reunion episode.

• Useful 1

I rewatched the episode.  I noticed that Jacob said that the mole would be walking on egg shells before they revealed the next challenge which was about pigeons.  The mole does know in advance what the challenges are.  It probably meant nothing but I noticed it.

I want to know if the show edits out part of the conversations on the phone.  Avori asked Joi & Kesi to use their binoculars to follow the birds to find her.  But how did Avori know they had binoculars?  We only heard Joi tell her they were on top of a building.

I am surprised the show has not had a laser tag challenge.  I don't think I have ever seen a season of this show in any country where they didn't do that.  The players always look forward to it.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

It's got to be Kesi!  She spelled neon as neone in one of the first challenges, the she didn't notice L Dorado as a clue for Gold in a later challenge. Then she knocked down a bag of money from the train. This episode she didn't see the flock of seagulls and she voted for the non-liar.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

It's got to be Kesi!  She spelled neon as neone in one of the first challenges, the she didn't notice L Dorado as a clue for Gold in a later challenge. Then she knocked down a bag of money from the train. This episode she didn't see the flock of seagulls and she voted for the non-liar.

I'm leaning heavily towards Kesi as well. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Not to mention she wanted to pick the wrong pigeon to go back to Avoni and was totally stalling on the rooftop.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, Meedis said:

Not to mention she wanted to pick the wrong pigeon to go back to Avoni and was totally stalling on the rooftop.

Yeah, she stalled so much and was really adamant about picking the wrong pigeon.  The only reason she backed down was because Joi got lucky and beat her at rock, paper, scissors, so Joi was able to choose the correct pigeon.  She is looking the shadiest.  Plus, she seems to have a quieter personality than most of the remaining players, so she doesn't stick out as much as a William, Joi, or Avori...

• Like 3
  • Love 4

i don't even get why they swapped around GRABBERS on that train task - if the first person managed that grab technqiue, just keep using them, as its a bit of an odd technque to master and you get ONE SHOT.

I assume everyone is pretty much who they say they are, but also a mole. So they are actually a fire-fighter or live in x town. But we shall see!

I did think in the final 3, its possible to "win" and still have the mole totally wrong. Ie Mole/A and B. A thinks its B and B thinks its A. so bith totally wrong but one will win as the mole has some charachertistic (say sex) that matches the wrong pick.

So you win just by not being the worse guesser

(or how does final episode work - do you just win if you are last NON-mole there? - i haven;t seen the show in previous seasons)

On 10/18/2022 at 7:17 AM, sugarbaker design said:

She also missed seeing the boat on the sunken treasure challenge despite being on the side.

She’s been my frontrunner since the gold challenge. I could possibly understand her missing names like L Dorado and Midas but not that she never even read any of the names off to her teammates. She is remarkably passive in all the challenges and has really hindered the group subtly. 

The only person I definitely DON'T think is The Mole at this point is William. He seemed totally and legitimately shocked when his prime suspect, Casey, was eliminated, and he just gives some of the most genuine reaction shots of all the remaining contestants.  Plus, he always seems to try hard to actually WIN the money in the challenges.  He looked actually relieved and surprised to still be there after Casey's elimination, seemingly because he geared his quiz toward her being The Mole that episode. 

I also don't think Joi is The Mole, just because she has been so obvious and sloppy since Day One. 

Edited by Matteo
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3

Avori in the Aviary, lol.  definitely suspicious that she didn't see the telephone number on the pizza box.  every pizza store advertises their number on their own box (that has their name).

kesi was a bit obvious in her deflection with the binoculars and birds.    She's definitely my top choice, though Jacob is up there too.   

• Like 1

No... I wanted Greg to make it to the end! He suspected Kesi... what happened? I guess I'm counting on Will or Avori to figure it out then. Dom, Pranav, and Greg have been the biggest losses to me so far. I like people who try to play the game well. If this ends up being all the dumb people and the Mole, I will lose my mind. I wish we knew how well/poorly each contestant did on the quiz each week. They shouldn't know in the game, but I want to know.

Kesi is way too obvious trying to distract from the pigeons. They need a better actor next season. Even in her talking heads, I've started noticing how emotionally flat she is while the others express real emotions.

Jacob and Will are surrounded by photos on the wall... they keep talking to the woman behind the counter. Also, as the other team was figuring it out, why didn't they use their pigeon-based directions to get to Avori? Was it against the rules for one team to just copy the other team? Also, were there really no better clues than Avori calling the pizza place? 

How cheap is Netflix? The prizes for some of their shows are kind of low. I am genuinely curious how much money they really want to give away for this show.

I don't love the dinner time callouts. Too much forced drama. 

• Love 1

Evidence against Kesi: She screwed up the bank heist as the Mastermind which was definitely the easier challenge. She dropped the bag trying to grab it on the train. She eliminated herself and her backpack of money first in the mountain/hiking challenge. She tried to mislead the other two interrogators in 2 truths and a lie. She tried to lead Joi away from the pigeons. 

When you add up all the evidence, the biggest thing is not just all these incidents but the way she reacts when all these things happen. I try not to read into things too much because neurodivergence but I assume they cast actor-y types and she's an awful actor. I will be very surprised if she's not the Mole.

• Like 1

Just finished this episode, and I agree with many of the above comments that it seems like Kesi is the Mole.  Will is obviously not the Mole.  He tries very hard to get money and gets too angry when they don't.  Also, he could have easily sabotaged this mission by picking the wrong red scooter.  Same for Jacob, Jacob very clearly kept eyes on the first scooter.

On 10/14/2022 at 5:31 PM, argrow said:

Eight episodes in and I still don't understand why they are centering the narrative on William, who is so dislikable. I feel that he gets the most talking heads (and that's with there being too much TH as it is). I fear that we are heading towards his win, which will be as bad as that angry winner from mole 5 (the Jon Kelly version).

I find Will very unlikeable as well.  He does seem to get the most confessionals.  He gets too angry at the rest of the contestants.  They are all there to play a game.  Obviously one of them is the Mole and is trying to sabotage.  He should understand this.  But the worst thing about Will to me is his arrogance.  He always thinks he should be chosen for everything.  And the way he talks to Jacob and calls him stupid, it sounds like he is making it out to be a joke, but he is obviously not joking.  I agree with you that it seems like the show is telegraphing that he wins.  Ugh.

On 10/16/2022 at 7:01 AM, PurpleTentacle said:

Or just tell her the number on the phone? He had the same number on the pizza carton in front of him. Or just give the order to the woman in person, with Avori relaying the details. I can believe that Will was too air-headed to think of that, but I don't believe Jacob would be.

He also doesn't seem that dumb from what we see of him. So he might be playing dumb to the other contestents.

I didn't understand that either.  Couldn't he have read her the number from his box?  Or ask the woman behind the counter what her number is?  But Will didn't think of doing any of that either.

I do think that if Kesi isn't the Mole, it could be Jacob.  He might not be asking any questions because he could just be sitting back and listening.  I do think he looks like a firefighter, he has a firefighter's body.  Unlike Will who seems very vain and spends a lot of time in the gym, Jacob seems like his muscle is from practical use and his job.

On 10/17/2022 at 3:31 AM, SnideAsides said:

What idiot called it "Hide and Seek" and not "Avori in an Aviary"?

Also good riddance to Greg, my least favourite reality TV character in the last several years.

Well, they couldn't give away in the title who was still in the game, especially for someone (like me!) who came to the show late and is now bingewatching.

I agree about Greg, he is my least favourite reality contestant in recent memory.  And there have been a lot I disliked, so that's saying a lot.  Good riddance.  I hope he doesn't pop up anywhere else.

• Like 1

I find Will very unlikeable as well.  He does seem to get the most confessionals.  He gets too angry at the rest of the contestants. 

I think Will is too individualistic. He belongs on a physical challenge show where you just power through the tasks. Arguably The Mole is also a show for individuals because only one person wins and you can't trust the others. BUT you do have to work with people while they're still there on the team challenges. And Will is (to some degree understandably) frustrated by how bad the others are at challenges. I feel like a lot of the season has not been intentional sabotage (only Avori and a few others seem to have tried that strategy). They're just incompetent. I do think Will has gotten more unlikable in the last episodes of the show. Maybe the frustration is coming through more or maybe the editors are keeping in more of the bad stuff. 

I actually haven't disliked any of the contestants besides Joi for being a terrible player. 

• Like 1