Type keyword(s) to search

Season 10 Discussion

paulvdb
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, jmonique said:

How arrogant do you have to be to NOT write a series finale for the end of your 10th season? "Oh, we were so surprised that we got canceled." Pffffffft

I agree. They should've had a finale prepared. If they got renewed for an 11th season (unlikely) then deal with that. But how could they not see this coming? 

Parts of this episode felt kinda like the old Goldbergs from earlier seasons. However the ending felt very tacked on.

• Like 3

Well, Hulu showing that the Series Finale was available alerted me that it's finally over and clicking on that made me realize that I haven't seen the last 7 or so episodes before the finale. And I don't think I'll bother going back to see them.

The finale was okay, the very ending with the then-and-now pics was cute and the Pops clip to send it out was moving, but the rest of it was just kinda there, which is where the show has been for the last several years. I'm very glad they didn't try to drag it out for yet another year, I will never understand how some shows are allowed to limp along WAY past their expiration dates while better shows don't get a chance to even find their footing.

• Like 1

Better shows like Firefly, Friday Night Lights(which basically had to be begged by fanbase to return for 2nd and 3rd seasons),Selfie(which I loved),What About Brian, The Kids Are Alright, Agent Carter(which did get 2 seasons,but I was hoping for more). 

• Like 1

Just finished it, I thought it was great that Adam finally gave Bev a taste of her own medicine. Not sure why, but I thought this season was a bit of a step up from the last few. Maybe it was knowing it was the last. Speaking of, not sure why people are complaining about not writing a series finale; it was announced ahead of the start, I watched the whole season knowing it was the last. As series finales go it WAS fairly meh but as far as sitcoms go I'd say it was pretty average and considering how far the show has fallen, about what should've been expected. It was clearly written to be the finale and with all the apparent troubles they had over the last few years, I could see where maybe they didn't want to make a greater celebration of it. That said, can see where bits of it did feel "tacked on".

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
19 hours ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

Better shows like Firefly, Friday Night Lights(which basically had to be begged by fanbase to return for 2nd and 3rd seasons

And with this show we had to beg them to take it off!  😄

As for not having a special finale planned, well they've used the same plot for every other episode in the past 10 years, why change now?

• Like 2
  • LOL 4
On 5/8/2023 at 9:44 AM, jmonique said:

How arrogant do you have to be to NOT write a series finale for the end of your 10th season? "Oh, we were so surprised that we got canceled." Pffffffft

I'm not going to blame the writers because there was probably no heads-up given that the show was getting cancelled. Usually, with long-running shows, they at least get some kind of warning, or it's decided early on that this current season will be the last one.

I remember when Modern Family was airing its tenth season and there were rumors circulating that it would be the last one. They ended up negotiating for one more season, but since there was a good chance season ten would be it, they at least knew they had to prepare a series finale just in case. ABC probably gave the writers and producers no indication that the show was in danger, there were no rumors circulating. That interview the showrunners did in August had them sounding really confident about the show's future, like they were entering a brand new era.

The network could have at least told them earlier that the show was getting cancelled so they had time to rewrite things and make a real series finale. Hayley Orrantia found out the show was getting cancelled a day before she filmed her final scenes, and they didn't even film anything as the entire family because all their scenes were separate. 

• Mind Blown 1
5 hours ago, Mr. Meatball Man said:

I'm not going to blame the writers because there was probably no heads-up given that the show was getting cancelled. Usually, with long-running shows, they at least get some kind of warning

I mean seriously, considering this show was well past its shelf life, and the troubles they've had losing major characters, they must have least considered the possibility.  No one should have been blindsided by it.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, rmontro said:

I mean seriously, considering this show was well past its shelf life, and the troubles they've had losing major characters, they must have least considered the possibility.  No one should have been blindsided by it.

I agree that when you really think about it, it shouldn't have been a huge shock that the show was cancelled. But for the people behind the show, it was a combination of how abrupt it was and the fact that they've been doing this for ten years. Now, they have to say goodbye, the whole crew has to find new jobs, and people are scrambling to make sense of their careers now since the writer's strike is going on. And there was literally no time to prepare since it was done after the show wrapped production for the year. 

With the way everything turned out, the best time to end the series would have been last year. Adam graduated high school, Erica got pregnant, it's the last appearance of Murray. There was nothing else the show had to do after that. It makes me wonder why ABC even bothered bringing the show back if they were going to dump it like this. 

Also, this is pretty much a rule of thumb at this point, but when main cast members leave, that's the end of the series. At most, it gets one more season where things are slightly off and then it just ends. It's crazy how The Goldbergs went out almost exactly how Mom went out, and they both premiered the same year (2013).

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Mr. Meatball Man said:

With the way everything turned out, the best time to end the series would have been last year. Adam graduated high school, Erica got pregnant, it's the last appearance of Murray. There was nothing else the show had to do after that. It makes me wonder why ABC even bothered bringing the show back if they were going to dump it like this. 

Yeah I think everyone here was saying pretty much the same thing last season. Why not end it when Adam graduates. It's a natural place to end. And yeah, if you're gonna dump it lime this then what's the purpose of another season.

On 5/11/2023 at 7:35 PM, Mr. Meatball Man said:

I agree that when you really think about it, it shouldn't have been a huge shock that the show was cancelled. But for the people behind the show, it was a combination of how abrupt it was and the fact that they've been doing this for ten years. Now, they have to say goodbye, the whole crew has to find new jobs, and people are scrambling to make sense of their careers now since the writer's strike is going on. And there was literally no time to prepare since it was done after the show wrapped production for the year. 

That's exactly what I thought about the Modern Family situation mentioned above. The season 10 season finale would have been an absolutely perfect series finale, it was a very touching all-ensemble scene when Haley had the twins and they'd wrapped up a whole bunch of other themes. Why not end it there? Nope, they dragged it out a whole 'nother painful season where the characters were all aging caricatures of themselves. 

With The Goldbergs, most of the charm of the earlier seasons was gone and they leaned too heavily on the same themes way too often. Every once in awhile, they'd sneak in a very funny line (like Barry's "dad and I followed the lows and the lower lows of Philadelphia sports together" LOL), but in general, the writing was so heavy-handed on the Bev crap and outlandish behavior that didn't ring true at all. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

Bev ends the show finally getting a taste of her own medicine. Sucks when a relative is deliberately sabotaging your romance because they're weirdly jealous, doesn't it? I didn't even realize that this was the series finale until they started with the last narration, the shots of most of the cast in the first and last episodes and the last goodbye from George Segal were nice, made me think about when this show was good, but it was mostly a meh episode to end a meh (at best) season. 

This show really should have ended seasons ago, it still managed some fun lines and scenes here and there, but they have been limping along for several seasons now, waiting to be put out of its misery. The show probably should have ended at the passing of George Segal, or even sooner, and while I always feel bad about people losing their jobs at a cancelation, it was well past the right time. Its too bad that the real Adam and the show have parted ways, it would have been nice to see the real Goldberg's do a cameo or something at the end. 

• Like 4

The fact Barry and Lainey not only are not shown reuniting and ending up together, but that Barry actually MARRIES JOANNE is INFURIATING! Joanne was an annoying character from her first appearance, and she never ever felt like even a remotely decent match for Barry. They should've been broken up long ago, instead, fans were slapped in the face. I don't care about Schooled, The Goldbergs had the chance to get it right with Barry and Lainey and show that they indeed ended up together, even just a brief scene would've sufficed. This was as stupid a thing the producers could've done with Barry. Other than killing him, there literally was no other option more idiotic than the one they chose. They should be banned from producing ever again. Even A.J. Michalka (actress who played Lainey) said she believes Barry and Lainey ended up together AND WANTED TO BE IN THE FINALE. The Barry/Joanne elopement was a travesty on so many levels and wrecked the finale. A BREAKUP SHOULD have been the choice. Preferably even before the finale. Preferably before season 10 altogether. This was so badly done I can't even express how angry it makes me. Adam's romance was done alright, and Erica and Geoff have always been a great pairing. But GEEBUS they SCREWED UP BARRY'S. SHAME!!!!!!!! Barry & Lainey forever! Joanne NEVER!!!!!! (And CB can go jump off a pier into the mouth of a great white shark) 2 series, 2 absolutely FAILED finales. Barry and Lainey deserved better. WE deserved better.

• Applause 3
(edited)
On 6/5/2023 at 6:36 AM, barrylainey4ever said:

The fact Barry and Lainey not only are not shown reuniting and ending up together, but that Barry actually MARRIES JOANNE is INFURIATING! Joanne was an annoying character from her first appearance, and she never ever felt like even a remotely decent match for Barry. They should've been broken up long ago, instead, fans were slapped in the face. I don't care about Schooled, The Goldbergs had the chance to get it right with Barry and Lainey and show that they indeed ended up together, even just a brief scene would've sufficed. This was as stupid a thing the producers could've done with Barry. Other than killing him, there literally was no other option more idiotic than the one they chose. They should be banned from producing ever again. Even A.J. Michalka (actress who played Lainey) said she believes Barry and Lainey ended up together AND WANTED TO BE IN THE FINALE. The Barry/Joanne elopement was a travesty on so many levels and wrecked the finale. A BREAKUP SHOULD have been the choice. Preferably even before the finale. Preferably before season 10 altogether. This was so badly done I can't even express how angry it makes me. Adam's romance was done alright, and Erica and Geoff have always been a great pairing. But GEEBUS they SCREWED UP BARRY'S. SHAME!!!!!!!! Barry & Lainey forever! Joanne NEVER!!!!!! (And CB can go jump off a pier into the mouth of a great white shark) 2 series, 2 absolutely FAILED finales. Barry and Lainey deserved better. WE deserved better.

Adam and Carmen were horrible together as well. If they weren’t going to introduce his real life wife Sarah they should have just kept him with Brea, no longer than the show lasted after they broke up.

My head canon is that Barry and Joann’s marriage was never legal. Think about it. They decide to elope on a Saturday night after the dinner party and by the next morning they are married? Wasn’t the dinner party the same night as the high school reunion? They kinda have to get a marriage license and the courthouse wasn’t open for them do that. And they need a witness. You can’t just decide to elope on a Saturday night and be married on Sunday morning. 

Edited by nelroy78
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1