Type keyword(s) to search

Season 10 Discussion

paulvdb
  • Start Topic

I watched "Amadoofus" this morning and these lines stood out to me.

"Why do I keep agreeing to these things?"

"I really need to stop coming back home."

When the writers are aware that Brea serves no purpose on the show anymore and she doesn't even want to be around these people, I think it's time to write her off. Jackie was never heard from or mentioned again after season six, but they love Brea so much, they keep bringing her back for pointless cameos? Also, didn't they already make this joke earlier in the season, about Brea missing midterms because Beverly tricked her into coming back home to see Adam?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, CarpeFelis said:

Beverly said something about giving the baby shrimp. Are the Goldbergs not keeping kosher?

Have you heard of Beverly's famous shrimp parm? Of course you have, it's famous!

Edited by Perfect Xero
  • Like 1
  • LOL 9

I hate how the show always has to contrive of ways to vindicate Beverly and make the kids apologize to her when she's the one being overbearing. Erica was wrong to tell Beverly that she wasn't a great mom and she certainly does have experience, but that doesn't mean she's allowed to take over parenting and throw a fit every time Erica wants to parent in a different way than Beverly. 

Erica's friend who's all concerned about shellfish and the political correctness of children's songs seems like she came right from the 00s, the late 90s tops, not the 80s, the whole issue felt so contrived. 

Barry and the JTP did at least have a funny plot, the JTP are always the best part of any episode they show up in. Barry and his meat didn't quite live up to its comedic potential, but it was something. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
On 2/19/2023 at 7:03 AM, Perfect Xero said:

Have you heard of Beverly's famous shrimp parm? Of course you have, it's famous!

Sounds delicious.  Every time I hear about it, I think about finding a recipe, but I have yet to get around to it.

The latest episode with Adam struggling with casual dating seemed a bit like a cop out to me.  Aside from bringing up an interesting question about dating strategies, the show sidesteps Adam from having to deal with it by just having Carmen go along with him wanting to be exclusive.  Not sure how realistic that is. They usually portray Adam as being a catch somehow, but it was funny that even Beverly couldn't find a girl to buy into going out with him.

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

Oooooh I miss Lainey so much. I wish she had more to do in this episode. I really wish they'd brought her back when they canceled Schooled. This show needs her. Erica has no girlfriends to play off of. It's become too insular with fewer and fewer side characters. 

I wonder if Schooled is on Hulu. I should watch it again. I really liked it.

• Like 7
  • Applause 2
(edited)

I thought this latest episode was not bad.  The Erica / Beverly role reversal was silly but cute.  Calabasas has become a fun recurring character, although you'd think they might remember how deals with him end.  It seems Adam has the least to do of everyone, but I don't really miss him.

On 2/24/2023 at 10:29 AM, Aryanna said:

I wonder if Schooled is on Hulu. I should watch it again. I really liked it.

I liked it too, but it isn't available there anymore.  IIRC it was already canceled before the allegations against Bryan Callen, so it probably would have faded off the services before too long, but after they came out, I think ABC hoped we'd all forget about it extra quick.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1

Wait Bryan Callen is problematic too?  What are the odds one show would have two issues.

Oh god.  The Flame.  A school dance.  It was suddenly tenth grade up in here and I was involved in boy DRAAAAAAMA.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

This was actually a pretty cute episode, it was fun seeing the sleazy salesman guy again. Barry is just such an easy mark. Erica playing mom to Beverly was weird but pretty fun, its a better Beverly plot than her usual plots. 

I'm sorry that the cast and crew will be out of work, the shows declining quality isn't on them so much as its the writers, but I am not unhappy to see the show ending. Its about time, this show has been running on fumes for years, they should have left on a high note a few seasons ago, so now its stuck limping towards the end. This season has been at least a tiny bit better than the last few, but this show has run its course. Its time for it to be done. 

• Like 4

I had a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that Anthony Michael Hall would be old enough to date Beverly.  Then I looked it up and he is actually a year and a half older than Wendi McLendon-Covey.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 4

Gah playing the hits from tenth grade is killing me.  “Waiting for a Star to Fall” is one that is just traumatizing.

Watching this wretched family continually be assholes to the blonde lady is not enjoyable, show.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, chediavolo said:

The partner in the furniture store is really a terrible  Businessman isn’t he?🙄

I did like how they figured out the different people give different things to others. 

To be fair he was an Oilers fan…has been since Season 2 even though he was also shown to be a Vancouver Canucks fan in another episode but those two aren’t huge rivals so whatever. And he didn’t expect the Flyers to do so well but it kinda snowballed on him. But he still did them dirty. I missed Formica Mike. I guess he was too busy filming East New York. And Vic fit better being a fan of the opponent.

This matchup happened in real life in the 1985 Stanley Cup Finals, except that the Flyers lost 4 games to 1, not 4 games to 3. https://www.hockey-reference.com/playoffs/1985-edmonton-oilers-vs-philadelphia-flyers-stanley-cup-final.html

The Schwartz plot…wow. Lou and Linda are something else. Don’t put this all on Geoff and Erica. If you want to see your granddaughter, go see her or pick up the phone and call. Communication works both ways. They are trying to portray them to be helpless elderly people and I bet the real Lou and Linda aren’t thrilled.

Edited by nelroy78
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1
On 3/10/2023 at 7:59 AM, mojoween said:

Gah playing the hits from tenth grade is killing me.  “Waiting for a Star to Fall” is one that is just traumatizing.

Great song.

As for the latest episode, I really liked how Pop Pop pointed out to Erica how she had such fond memories of him playing music for her while he rolled pennies, how that fed her interest in singing, and how different people have different things to offer.  Sometimes the simplest moments in life are among the best.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
On 3/16/2023 at 7:43 AM, nelroy78 said:

They are trying to portray them to be helpless elderly people and I bet the real Lou and Linda aren’t thrilled.

Is there a real Lou and Linda? Since IRL Erika is actually a boy I've always figured some of the ancillary characters like Lou and Linda and Ginzy and the other lady are amalgams of other people Adam knew growing up.  

• Like 2

Though I agree that the grandparents come off as a little more elderly and lazy than they would actually seem to be--I do think Erica was being a total b**** by acting like she was about it.  As if grandparents have to be going places and running around with the young child at every moment.  It is nice to have quiet time at home and relax with family, and glad she came around to see that.   And the reality is that many have older grandparents that would just spend quiet time with them and that is perfectly okay.

• Like 5
  • Applause 3
10 hours ago, joanne3482 said:

Is there a real Lou and Linda? Since IRL Erika is actually a boy I've always figured some of the ancillary characters like Lou and Linda and Ginzy and the other lady are amalgams of other people Adam knew growing up.  

I think Essie, Ginzy, and Linda are all real people.  About five years ago they had a cameo along with the real Beverly.  I'm not sure whether they just used the names or elements of their real-life personalities to develop the characters, except that I know the Kremps still have their florist shop in real life as in th show. I don't know about Lou either.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
(edited)

I just streamed the Love Shack episode. Still cringing over the Jeff and Erica scenes. Surely, these writers can do better. 

Edited by Neiman
  • LOL 1
On 4/9/2023 at 8:56 PM, Harmony233 said:

Does Jeff still go to school?Is Erica still interested in law school.I mean how do they support there baby.Also if there whining about the house being a mad house here's an idea move out.

I really thought Barry was going to give Jeff and Erica the apartment. At the very least, it would be nice to see Erica redecorate their bedroom. She was trying to light candles and make the room romantic in one episode while she still had a Debbie Gibson poster on the wall and stuffed animals on the bed. 

• Like 1
On 4/11/2023 at 11:23 PM, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

Still waiting to see if we get the Beverly /Mr. Glascott hookup before it's all over.

They'd better hurry.  Unless they're saving that for the reunion special.

Not directly on-topic, so forgive me:

My sister suggested we kids get together for a Mother's Day gif this year.  She sent several ideas and we picked one, so she ordered it online.

The next day, she got an email letting her know it would be another $45 above the quoted price "due to increased flower costs in this area for the holiday."

I didn't like the feeling of bait-and-switch, in addition to the price itself, so I told her to forget it and we'd look for something else.

Then I noticed the name of the company - Kremp Florist!  I told her I'd pay the $45 if they could guarantee Barry would prepare the order.

I knew the company was still operating, but never expected to run across them "in the wild."  Just sort of interesting.

• Like 1
  • Useful 4
  • LOL 2
On 4/26/2023 at 6:49 PM, 853fisher said:

Not directly on-topic, so forgive me:

My sister suggested we kids get together for a Mother's Day gif this year.  She sent several ideas and we picked one, so she ordered it online.

The next day, she got an email letting her know it would be another $45 above the quoted price "due to increased flower costs in this area for the holiday."

I didn't like the feeling of bait-and-switch, in addition to the price itself, so I told her to forget it and we'd look for something else.

Then I noticed the name of the company - Kremp Florist!  I told her I'd pay the $45 if they could guarantee Barry would prepare the order.

I knew the company was still operating, but never expected to run across them "in the wild."  Just sort of interesting.

Run. Unethical business practice. I would leave a bad review. 

It wasn't a great episode or anything, but I did get a kick out of seeing Adam's old girlfriends give it back to Beverly. I also enjoyed seeing Geoff actually being involved in a JTP plot. Matt Bradley's "I don't talk about it, but I get a lot of action" aside gave me a big laugh, as did Erica's "we'll never be like that, as long as you don't pull away from me" to Muriel when she was feeding her.

• Like 4
  • LOL 3
(edited)

I’ve hate-watched this show for oh, about four years now, but I cannot tell a lie - I’m going to be sad tomorrow.  I mean, we’ve put ten years of our lives into this.

Regarding last week’s episode, why did they have to recast Adam’s first two girlfriends?  They couldn’t have gotten the originals (-ish, I know Jacky was already recast once) for an hour or so of taping?  

Edited by mojoween
  • Like 3

So I wasn’t aware it was the last episode and when it was happening I got a little sad.  The show needs to go, but I was still sad.  

• Like 5
  • Sad 4
10 hours ago, alexa said:

So I wasn’t aware it was the last episode and when it was happening I got a little sad.  The show needs to go, but I was still sad.  

You can be forgiven for that. ABC didn’t announce it until a few days after filming wrapped for the season so it really didn’t feel like a series finale until the end. I thought it was a pretty good episode considering. Just one complaint. I wish Lea Thompson (Lorraine McFly) who played Formica Mike’s ex-wife had gone instead of Ginzy since it had been a Back to the Future theme.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

Damn I wish they had never chased off Adam F. Goldberg so at the end the finale could have been full of real-life Goldberg goodies.

I wonder how mama Goldberg felt about them having her character chase after two guys in one season.

The final shot of George Segal definitely turned on the waterworks.

• Like 9

The final act of this episode was wholesome, but it really didn't make up for these past few seasons being a chore to watch.

I still stand by my opinion that the series should've ended when George Segal passed away, maybe even slightly beforehand.

• Like 7
4 hours ago, Utpe said:

I still stand by my opinion that the series should've ended when George Segal passed away, maybe even slightly beforehand.

This show definitely outlived its shelf life, but hey we got through it.  The last episode didn't seem to be anything special, and there was more of the usual infuriating "I'm going to act selfishly and hurtful, and then later I'm going to give a meaningless apology because you know as well as I do I didn't really learn anything".  The only difference here is the same thing won't happen again next week.

About the only thing I'm going to miss is looking at Hayley Orrantia.

Spoiler

Interesting that Barry and Joanne got eloped, I like them as a couple, but it felt like an afterthought.  The sad thing is that assuming Schooled was canon, their marriage doesn't last, since Barry was getting with Lainey on there.  Maybe if you find divorce too sad, they could say it was annulled since they only did it for attention.

• Like 8
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
On 5/4/2023 at 3:59 PM, mojoween said:

Damn I wish they had never chased off Adam F. Goldberg so at the end the finale could have been full of real-life Goldberg goodies.

I wonder how mama Goldberg felt about them having her character chase after two guys in one season.

The final shot of George Segal definitely turned on the waterworks.

I don’t know if she was OK with it but she did eventually move on in real life. She eventually took the high road on Twitter. Perrot really chased after her first. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
(edited)

At this point, I think the producers view Schooled as being off on in their own completely unrelated universe. I doubt they view anything on that show as being cannon in terms of The Goldbergs.

I thought Rob Corddry and Wendi Mclendon-Covey had very good chemistry which helped immensely with that plot. Of course the last episode would feature one character not being able to keep their nose out of another character's love life, only this time it was Adam instead of the usual Beverly. 

Although much of what we saw was reasonable for a final episode, I do wish the show had gotten the chance to do a proper series finale. I think even with all its issues in recent years, it was still worthy of that.

Edited by Slade347
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1