Type keyword(s) to search

Season 10 Discussion

paulvdb
  • Start Topic

This show is well past is expiration date. And I really liked it in its first four seasons or so. But between the repetitiveness of the plots and the refusal to let its characters grow, I’m done. And I haven’t seen such a contrived, artificial character death on TV since Valerie was killed off on “Valerie”. Wendi McLendon-Covey said last season after Jeff Garlin left that the cast was tired of covering for him and working around him. So you know damned well that they’re happy he’s gone, and that seemed to permeate the show last night. Oh well, Dad’s dead, let’s redecorate!

• Like 1
  • Love 9

Yeah, it's kinda clear McClendon-Covey wanted to keep doing the show and...no one else did. I get it, money is money, but hopefully this is the last season. All the artificial methods they're using to prolong the show (Erica having a baby, Judd Hirsch now becoming the surrogate George Segal character) are indicative of a show on its last legs. Pull the plug. 

• Like 2
  • Love 10

Here we go!  The season that nobody asked for!  I actually thought they dealt with Jeff Garlin's departure about as well as they could.  Obviously they wanted to show respect to the father in the show, without getting too maudlin, and I thought they walked that line.  In fact, I thought it was a pretty decent episode, Beverly never got too intolerable.  Adam being so gleeful about his prank and JTP shaming him for it.  I liked the tag at the end with Grandpa trying to explain Field of Dreams.

• Like 2
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, greekmom said:

The fact that no one has posted shows that either a) no one watched it or b) too awful for words.

I tuned in out of curiosity.  They should have just left it at season 9.  It was awful.  

I watched to see how they handled Jeff Garlin's departure and it was background noise after that

Should have ended last season. I know it's a job and money is money but these actors know to be mindful of their money when on a TV series and after nine seasons plus syndication should have enough to be okay for a while.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Egg McMuffin said:

So you know damned well that they’re happy he’s gone, and that seemed to permeate the show last night. Oh well, Dad’s dead, let’s redecorate!

Yep, and his death will hardly be mentioned ever again so they can avoid focusing on Jeff Garlin's departure.  Sucks that they killed the character off so early because the real Murray Goldberg didn't pass away until 2008.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, rmontro said:

Here we go!  The season that nobody asked for!  I actually thought they dealt with Jeff Garlin's departure about as well as they could.  Obviously they wanted to show respect to the father in the show, without getting too maudlin, and I thought they walked that line.  In fact, I thought it was a pretty decent episode, Beverly never got too intolerable.  Adam being so gleeful about his prank and JTP shaming him for it.  I liked the tag at the end with Grandpa trying to explain Field of Dreams.

I know they couldn’t say that Murray was at a conference every episode, but knowing that the real Murray *did* pass away, and the show played it off for laughs, was disturbing.  I actually feel badly for Real Adam.

And is this going to be an entire season of people shitting on Geoff every single second?  Sounds just super.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I know they couldn’t say that Murray was at a conference every episode, but knowing that the real Murray *did* pass away, and the show played it off for laughs, was disturbing.

Murray has passed away, but not around the time depicted in the episode, he was still alive at that time.  As I said, I thought the show was an appropriate mix of being respectful without being too maudlin.  

I liked the part where Geoff threatened Adam, but I was disappointed when it was revealed he was just joking.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I made it halfway through and turned it off.  This show should have ended a few seasons ago. 

I guess the other grandpa is now Pop's "replacement".  Unlike Pops, this grandpa is completely unlikable.  Then again...so is the rest of the cast, except for the JTP.

Erica, Geoff, Murray's dad, Beverly, Barry, Adam and the new baby are now all living in the house?  Erica and Geoff had their own apartment last season - what happened to that?  I'm sure there's going to be some issue where something gets screwed up with Adam going to NYU so he can remain at home forever too.  

This show is such a dumpster fire.  

• Like 1
  • Applause 4
  • Love 8
8 hours ago, rmontro said:

I agree.  It was better than much of last season, and I think they handled the character departure well.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Arcadiasw said:

I know it's a job and money is money but these actors know to be mindful of their money when on a TV series

Hope so! https://people.com/tv/hayley-orrantia-opens-up-about-boyfriend-stealing-betrayal/

5 hours ago, rmontro said:

I liked the part where Geoff threatened Adam, but I was disappointed when it was revealed he was just joking.

Yeah, it was out of character and out of nowhere, but it was different and got my attention, and then--never mind!

I watched because I didn't want to miss Abbott Elementary.

• Love 1

This is so awkward, this show just needs to be done. I guess them killing Murray offscreen is better than awkwardly coming up with reasons for him not to be around, but its so obvious that no one wants to be here anymore. They should have just ended things last season and gone out with even a sliver of dignity and without having to kill off Murray. Its sad, this was such a fun sweet show but now there is no character growth, few funny jokes, and everything that used to be fun has been run into the ground. 

Everyone moving in together is so painfully contrived, why would Barry and Erica want to live in that mess of a house? And now Judd Hirsh is the new Pops replacement? Just without all of the charm? I also find it weird that Adam, who's whole deal is movies, wouldn't bother to watch Field of Dreams. It was a big movie and, as the JTP said, its story is not subtle or hidden. Its not really his kind of movie, but I cant picture him not being able to just sit through it if Barry was watching it in the room with him. So contrived. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8

meh

The show felt sad and not because Murray was gone. It felt sad bc it's a shadow of its former self. All the sit-commy tropes used to get everyone under the same roof was lame. All the kids have outgrown their roles. It's obvious most of them are pushing 30 now. My willing suspension of disbelief is seriously waning.

I miss Lainey. I miss George Segal. Judd Hirsch's character is pretty much 180° from Segal's Pop Pop and that's not a character that I wanna spend time with. I miss Murray (i know there are issues there but i haven't really paid attention to that. I just know the character i see on my tv). I miss Johnny Atkins and all the other colorful side characters. The Goldbergs have become too insulated and their world feels empty bc of all the characters they've lost.

The JTP was the best part of this episode. 

I'm not sure I can make it through this season. I'll probably watch the next episode though.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
On 9/22/2022 at 8:57 PM, alexa said:

I agree.  It was better than much of last season, and I think they handled the character departure well.

I enjoyed the episode and thought they handled the loss of Murray with respect. I always felt the Judd Hirsch character was used so little,but now perhaps we'll see a softer side of him. His storyline of finding Murray's rocker , thinking it would be perfect to use to rock the baby to sleep hit home. Hope to see more of Judd Hirsch, he's such a great actor that often gets overlooked.  Too all that don't like this series anymore, there's plenty of other shows out there to watch. I'll hang with the Goldberg's as long as the series run,good episodes ,not so good episodes, they all usually find a way to touch the heart.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

I enjoyed the episode and thought they handled the loss of Murray with respect. I always felt the Judd Hirsch character was used so little,but now perhaps we'll see a softer side of him. His storyline of finding Murray's rocker , thinking it would be perfect to use to rock the baby to sleep hit home. Hope to see more of Judd Hirsch, he's such a great actor that often gets overlooked.  Too all that don't like this series anymore, there's plenty of other shows out there to watch. I'll hang with the Goldberg's as long as the series run,good episodes ,not so good episodes, they all usually find a way to touch the heart.

I agree. I was troubled by many of the episodes last season, but I thought this episode actually brought it back to more what it used to be-- so much activity in the house, and many little stories versus a big story about Bev being obnoxious and then hurt by everyone's reactions to it.  There was more energy and fun mixed in.  

• Applause 1
  • Love 5

I actually liked this episode and thought they handled Murray's passing as best they could. I lost a child when he was 4 years old and I immediately got rid of all his clothes, toys, furniture, repainted the room just trying to make the grieving process go faster (which doesn't work). When some time had passed, I really wanted that ugly green chair back that we used to read Goodnight Moon in every night. That's probably why I liked the episode and I cried when Murray's chair was in the baby's nursery. I don't know what the rest of the season will bring, but this one was good for me. Bev's bedazzling diapers seemed like a choking hazard, but totally on brand for her. Also liked her wondering at the end where the dog was. What did ever happen to their dog?

• Like 1
  • Hugs 11
  • Love 3

I'm interested to see how the show handles Adam going to NYU. I have a sneaking suspicion he'll be deferring his enrollment to help out at home with the new baby and Murray's absence. This, of course will screw over Dave Kim, who wanted to blaze his own path originally anyway.

I do worry where things are going to go without the school to fall back on. That house could get pretty claustrophobic pretty quickly

• Applause 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Traveller519 said:

I'm interested to see how the show handles Adam going to NYU. I have a sneaking suspicion he'll be deferring his enrollment to help out at home with the new baby and Murray's absence. 

What happens to the furniture store with Murray gone?  They still had at least part ownership in the store, right?  I can't really remember.  Maybe Adam stays home a year to keep the furniture store afloat, putting off his dreams in a George Bailey kind of situation?  Or more likely, the Goldbergs just get bought out.

• Love 2
On 9/22/2022 at 1:56 PM, rmontro said:

Yeah, I thought they settled into a fairly moving storyline halfway through, but at the beginning, it felt very much like this:

So you know damned well that they’re happy he’s gone, and that seemed to permeate the show last night. Oh well, Dad’s dead, let’s redecorate!

Knowing about the on set issues with Jeff Garlin, I wasn't shocked by the news that they'd killed off Murray, but I was pretty shocked by the shallowness of the announcement and the way no one seemed too bothered by it. 

After the exposition-fest of the first several minutes where they were announcing all the updates to everyone's life, they layered in more sentimentality that felt fitting for such a major loss. But the very beginning was quite jarring.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 9/26/2022 at 3:26 PM, Traveller519 said:

I'm interested to see how the show handles Adam going to NYU. I have a sneaking suspicion he'll be deferring his enrollment to help out at home with the new baby and Murray's absence. This, of course will screw over Dave Kim, who wanted to blaze his own path originally anyway.

I do worry where things are going to go without the school to fall back on. That house could get pretty claustrophobic pretty quickly

Sounds like you're right according to this article. I don't know what they mean by "sort of defer" other than no one can seem to make a simple declarative sentence these days.  Everything is sort of/ kind of.

Adam's making a choice to forego NYU; he was accepted, but we're going to have him sort of defer for a year to keep his eye on his mom. But he is still going to be committed to being a filmmaker, that's still his goal. In fact, we actually have a cool episode — a couple episodes — with David Hasselhoff. We got the Hoff, so we're very pumped about that. 

I saw the promos with David Hasselhoff and I had to know what was going on with that ridiculous hairpiece.  Turns out that's NOT part of a storyline; it's just his "look."

Why doesn't someone tell him?  Does he not have any friends? 

Sir, that hairpiece is at least three times bigger and thicker and more luxurious than the hair a gentleman of your age could reasonably be expected to have.  You do yourself no favors.  Please pare that thing down to a more credible facsimile of hair you grew yourself.

• Fire 1
  • LOL 5

So they had all that “You are invited to the Goldbergs gender reveal” only to find out they still don’t know for sure and they decided at the ultrasound at the end that they didn’t want to find out.

Spoiler

But I think it’s a girl based on Sam Lerner’s Instagram story from a while back.

And Adam was disappointing. I think ABC forced that on them to save money. They won’t have to use that set now. But don’t lie about a job. He can go work at the furniture store for now. Too bad Formica Mike is on East New York now. 

Edited by nelroy78
  • Love 2
On 9/26/2022 at 3:26 PM, Traveller519 said:

I'm interested to see how the show handles Adam going to NYU. I have a sneaking suspicion he'll be deferring his enrollment to help out at home with the new baby and Murray's absence.

Well, you nailed that one spot on.  Except the reasoning was that Adam himself wasn't ready.  Not sure I buy that because it's so out of left field, but I guess he did just lose his father.  

I wonder if the writers have decided to ease up on Beverly's character, and were aware of all the hate she was getting.  She hasn't done anything intolerable so far in the first two episodes, and even acted maturely about Adam going to NYU.  

As for Hasslehoff's crazy wig, I'd say he was parodying his younger self.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Aryanna said:

Adam staying home is such a sitcom contrivance.

It totally is, but I was glad to see that Bev was supportive of him going to NYU. That was a nice change. 

Poor Dave Kim and his weird new roommate. I liked his comment about how this grandpa is a lot different than the other grandpa. Maybe Dave Kim can reinvent himself in college and become known as just Dave. Adam was a little too nonchalant about the effect his deferring would have on his friend. 

I can understand why Erica and Geoff didn't want to know what they were having. There are so few genuine surprises left the older you get (at least good ones anyhow). 

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Faceplant said:

It totally is, but I was glad to see that Bev was supportive of him going to NYU. That was a nice change. 

Poor Dave Kim and his weird new roommate. I liked his comment about how this grandpa is a lot different than the other grandpa. Maybe Dave Kim can reinvent himself in college and become known as just Dave. Adam was a little too nonchalant about the effect his deferring would have on his friend. 

I can understand why Erica and Geoff didn't want to know what they were having. There are so few genuine surprises left the older you get (at least good ones anyhow). 

Bev has definitely been more tolerable this season.

I agree that Adam was a jerk to Dave Kim. Also calling people by their first and last name has been a Goldbergs thing since the beginning. If it's a joke, I still don't get it.

I don't remember who but one of the friends asked why do we come here. I agree. The Goldbergs were particularly jerky to their friends on this episode. 

• Love 3

I was pleasantly surprised that Bev really was supportive of Adam going to NYU, but of course he ends up sticking around through typical sitcom contrivances. Not surprising at all. Poor Dave Kim. 

As always, the JTP is one of the only saving graces this show has. "That's not the punishment you think it is." 

Someone needs to tell David Hasselhoff that his wig looks like a flying squirrel has recently landed on his head. 

• Love 3

Maybe I'm giving all involved too much credit, but I think the Hoff-as-he-was wig is a bit of purposeful self-parody.

I don't think it's the right idea to call Brea back from Brown - it leads to a sense of arrested development.  I think Adam is by far the least interesting character right now.  Barry is doing something somewhat different for a change - he's still a bit of a jackass, but he and Joanne are at least going somewhere.

I still like the show, and actually it's grating less for me than it was last year.  It's not anything I want to watch again, but it's a funny enough half hour, after ten years of investment.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
On 10/6/2022 at 6:49 PM, 853fisher said:

I still like the show, and actually it's grating less for me than it was last year.  It's not anything I want to watch again, but it's a funny enough half hour, after ten years of investment.

I think it's pretty clear that they are intentionally trying to write Bev as not being so awful.  Someone somewhere got the message and realized they needed to tone her down.

Spoiler

I really like Barry and Joanne as a couple, it's too bad that if you go by Schooled, they must have broken up somewhere along the line.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

I wonder if Real Adam complained or threatened a lawsuit or something, because there was a little note at the end that said something like “this was a complete work of fiction”.

It's definitely attention-getting, isn't it?  But "This Episode is Entirely a Work of Fiction LLC" is the cutesy name for one of the production companies involved with the show.  I'm not sure who is behind them but they're new this season.  I don't doubt realAdam may be unhappy with the direction of the show, and we know realBeverly is, but they probably signed away their life rights.  I suspect the usual disclaimer has been in the credits all along.

• Useful 3
4 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I don't doubt realAdam may be unhappy with the direction of the show, and we know realBeverly is, but they probably signed away their life rights. 

Can you imagine being realBeverly, and telling your friends and family "Hey, there's a TV show on about us, come watch with us"?  Then turning on the TV and seeing yourself depicted as an absolute shrew?

• LOL 1
36 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Can you imagine being realBeverly, and telling your friends and family "Hey, there's a TV show on about us, come watch with us"?  Then turning on the TV and seeing yourself depicted as an absolute shrew?

I'd like to think my position would be that the people in my life would know that's not me, and it wouldn't affect me at all if people I won't ever meet might think it was, but I realize that's pretty easy to say when there's no risk of anyone making a show about our family lives!  I hope most people understand any show like this is an exaggeration / "inspired by" / etc.  realBeverly's own Twitter bio starts "Smother of 3 Yenta professional guilter I could've been a lawyer Why won't my kids call more?" so it feels like she's leaning into the fictionalized depiction, hopefully understanding there's no ill intention even if it's all been heightened.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 2

Why am I still watching this show?

At the beginning it showed a clip of graduation from one of the previous seasons. It looked like a real graduation with other students and their families. Now Erica graduates in a room with 3 people and then later has a "ceremony" in her mom's house with next door neighbors in attendance. I'm beginning to think a nuclear holocaust happened and the Goldbergs are the only survivors bc there world doesn't appear to be populated by other humans.

I didn't even chuckle in this episode. Not at one thing. Not even a little. 

::sad face::

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
On 10/18/2022 at 10:32 AM, Aryanna said:

At the beginning it showed a clip of graduation from one of the previous seasons. It looked like a real graduation with other students and their families. Now Erica graduates in a room with 3 people and then later has a "ceremony" in her mom's house with next door neighbors in attendance. I'm beginning to think a nuclear holocaust happened and the Goldbergs are the only survivors bc there world doesn't appear to be populated by other humans.

They explained that by saying that Erica graduated at an odd time (she finished late or early, I can't remember which).  But maybe now that the show is in its 10th season, it's had its budget cut, and can't afford all the extras anymore?

13 hours ago, rmontro said:

They explained that by saying that Erica graduated at an odd time (she finished late or early, I can't remember which).  But maybe now that the show is in its 10th season, it's had its budget cut, and can't afford all the extras anymore?

She graduated early, on an “off cycle.” So it would’ve made more sense for her to graduate/have the baby in the December 7 Hanukkah episode, as most colleges have a winter and a spring graduation but not a fall one. Then her water could’ve broke right before her ceremony and they could’ve given her her diploma in the hospital. But I guess Penn College of the East has quarters instead of semesters so it does make a shred of sense. The quarter system was a thing in the 80s.  It’s just odd …May to October is not long enough to be pregnant unless it’s a preemie. And people have babies before finishing college all the time. They couldn’t have saved the graduation or the birth for the season finale? Everything is rushed this season. Almost like the season is going to end early.

By the way 

Spoiler

It’s a girl! Congratulations! Welcome Muriel Allison Goldberg Schwartz! I would’ve preferred Alberta for a middle name but I like both names and glad that they chose to honor both Murray and Albert. Sam Lerner’s Instagram story from a while back kinda gave it away because one of the twins playing Muriel them had a hair bow on. By the way my 8th grade social studies teacher was named Muriel in 1990 something.

Edited by nelroy78
  • Like 1
  • Love 4

A babymoon was not a thing in 1980something. I don't know why that bugged me so much but it did.  However Jeff booking them into what I assume was a bathhouse did make me laugh as did the bit about the terrible uncle. 

• Like 1
  • Love 5
On 10/13/2022 at 1:53 AM, rmontro said:

I think it's pretty clear that they are intentionally trying to write Bev as not being so awful.  Someone somewhere got the message and realized they needed to tone her down.

Hide contents

Maybe real Beverly told them she would calm down on social media if they toned down TV Beverly. Real Beverly was going off on Twitter right about the time they “flanderized” TV Beverly at the beginning of Season 8 and now real Beverly has taken the high road on social media so it makes you wonder. 

Edited by nelroy78
  • Useful 2

I liked this episode! I thought Erica's pregnancy would be dragged out much longer, so it's nice to be done with that. The baby's name was sweet as was the whole voiceover at the end while everyone held the new baby. There is just something about a new baby that brings so much joy. The uncle subplot was dumb, but enjoyed seeing Uncle Buck and the giant food at the end was silly. 

After ten years, I don't need this show to change that much. So many other things have changed in the last ten years - everything from presidents to pandemics and a million other things - that this show is somehow comforting. No one ever changes too much, not really, and that's okay for me. Bev has been toned down just a bit this season, but she's still Bev. Same with some of the other characters. As long as I don't overthink some things about this show, I still can enjoy it. 

• Like 1
  • Love 7

Were those videos of baby Hayley?  What a cutie!

I have to admit “oh my god did you kill my mom” made me laugh for real.  It happens so infrequently it always gives me a little surprise when I do it.

• Applause 1
  • Love 4

If nothing else, that baby certainly is adorable. Muriel is not my favorite name, but naming her after Murray and Pops was a nice gesture. Although these movie tie ins are really starting to get ridiculous, why did this have to be an Uncle Buck reference? They could have easily just done a plot about Barry and Adam being worried about being uncles and then brought in their own goofy uncle. 

The super young goofy doctor seemed to be peeking into the future for any of future Berry's patients. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 3

Not a terrible episode tonight but I didn’t like how Adam was made out to be the bad guy for not accepting that they’ve changed when Dave Kim and his new friends were total jackasses. Only problem I had with Adam was not telling Beverly where he was going. And Geoff and Erica kinda asked for no alone time with Muriel when they moved back in. They should’ve known how Beverly was gonna take over. Maybe move back into your own place? The JTP plot was hilarious. 

Muriel steals the show!

Edited by nelroy78
  • Like 1
  • Love 6