Type keyword(s) to search

Season 10 Discussion

paulvdb
  • Start Topic

8 hours ago, Phishbulb said:

Was there a huge time-jump between these last 2 episodes? Because that baby did NOT look like one that was just born a week (or even weeks) ago. I know "time" is flexible on this show though...

Probably just the practical aspects of working with an older baby.  I think there may even be laws that require a minimum age for regular work.  I can hand wave it.

Again I'm impressed with the new Beverly.  She stopped herself before she pushed too far, and even gave some kind and helpful tips to Geoff about parenting.  I have to admit I would likely be on Erica's side, it would be nice to have Bev around to help with all the baby care.  

Speaking of Geoff, what is his education status anyway?  Is he like four years away from a doctorate?  Isn't he following in his father's footsteps and is wanting to be an eye doctor?

• Love 5
22 hours ago, rmontro said:

Probably just the practical aspects of working with an older baby.  I think there may even be laws that require a minimum age for regular work.  I can hand wave it.

Again I'm impressed with the new Beverly.  She stopped herself before she pushed too far, and even gave some kind and helpful tips to Geoff about parenting.  I have to admit I would likely be on Erica's side, it would be nice to have Bev around to help with all the baby care.  

Speaking of Geoff, what is his education status anyway?  Is he like four years away from a doctorate?  Isn't he following in his father's footsteps and is wanting to be an eye doctor?

I was the opposite... I thought Bev had been a lot better this season and then regressed a lot this episode.  I found it a bit heartbreaking how she treated Geoff when he wanted to spend time with his daughter and thought she was awful.  yes she came around in the end but that is typical for a Goldberg's episode and doesn't really dismiss how awful they act sometimes.  And yes it is nice to have help but you really need that bonding time in the beginning as well--it is really important for the baby and the parents, imo.  

On 10/26/2022 at 11:01 PM, nelroy78 said:

Not a terrible episode tonight but I didn’t like how Adam was made out to be the bad guy for not accepting that they’ve changed when Dave Kim and his new friends were total jackasses. Only problem I had with Adam was not telling Beverly where he was going. And Geoff and Erica kinda asked for no alone time with Muriel when they moved back in. They should’ve known how Beverly was gonna take over. Maybe move back into your own place? The JTP plot was hilarious. 

Muriel steals the show!

I agree about Adam...I hate when the friend changes so much and acts like they are better than the one left behind, and that is supposed to be "okay".  No, you should still have some sense of how to treat people you care about...

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, alexa said:

I was the opposite... I thought Bev had been a lot better this season and then regressed a lot this episode.  I found it a bit heartbreaking how she treated Geoff when he wanted to spend time with his daughter and thought she was awful.  yes she came around in the end but that is typical for a Goldberg's episode and doesn't really dismiss how awful they act sometimes. 

I think the difference is that in the past she has been remorseful and apologized, but here we actually saw her display some changed behavior and was actually helpful and supportive to Geoff.  Also, her bad behavior here actually wasn't completely selfish because she was supplying top notch care to the baby, so that's easier to forgive than some of her exploits.  

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, rmontro said:

I think the difference is that in the past she has been remorseful and apologized, but here we actually saw her display some changed behavior and was actually helpful and supportive to Geoff.  Also, her bad behavior here actually wasn't completely selfish because she was supplying top notch care to the baby, so that's easier to forgive than some of her exploits.  

We can agree to disagree on this one.  I found her behavior more troubling than usual, but everyone can see it differently and that is fine.  

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 10/13/2022 at 5:22 PM, rmontro said:

Can you imagine being realBeverly, and telling your friends and family "Hey, there's a TV show on about us, come watch with us"?  Then turning on the TV and seeing yourself depicted as an absolute shrew?

The real Beverly does not seem that likeable. 

Baby "Muriel" and Sam Lerner, who plays Geoff, seemed to have a real connection. She would really light up when she looked at him. I thought the baby was one of the best I've seen on a television show as far as her expressions. She was delightful!

• Like 2
  • Love 9
On 10/28/2022 at 4:57 PM, alexa said:

I was the opposite... I thought Bev had been a lot better this season and then regressed a lot this episode.  I found it a bit heartbreaking how she treated Geoff when he wanted to spend time with his daughter and thought she was awful.  yes she came around in the end but that is typical for a Goldberg's episode and doesn't really dismiss how awful they act sometimes.  And yes it is nice to have help but you really need that bonding time in the beginning as well--it is really important for the baby and the parents, imo.  

I agree. I was horrified she wouldn't even let him hold his own baby! It is great that they can live with family and get support. It is not great the way she was guilting him about how the baby might have starved because he was a minute late for the bottle or no matter when he tried to spend time with his baby she was already there. How do you not let someone even hold their own kid? it was awful and I didn't like it at all.  

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 8
10 hours ago, joanne3482 said:

I agree. I was horrified she wouldn't even let him hold his own baby! It is great that they can live with family and get support. It is not great the way she was guilting him about how the baby might have starved because he was a minute late for the bottle or no matter when he tried to spend time with his baby she was already there. How do you not let someone even hold their own kid? it was awful and I didn't like it at all.  

Thank you!  I just watched it in horror and was so sad for Geoff every time she did it.  She was so mean and he looked so left out.  It was very sad.  Glad I wasn't the only one...

• Like 1
  • Love 7

Adam said he hadn’t had any waitressing experience but he did work in that ice cream shop with Brea in that Season 8 episode so even though he wasn’t a waitress it was technically a continuity error. That can be counted as similar experience and he should’ve mentioned that. What became of that job anyway? 

• Love 6

Little Muriel is a real cutie, she's quickly becoming my new favorite character!

Adam definitely has worked in food service before, but why should I expect for the show to remember anything that has previously happened? At least this is the kind of diner job that Adam would do a good job at, its the kind of job that demands ham and movie references, two of Adams favorite things. 

Bev flopping around trying to line dance was admittedly funny. "I'm being folksy but that woman looks like she could be injured." 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I thought line dancing was a 90s thing.

It'd be cool if they had a show similar to this but in the 90s...oh wait.

More Johnny Atkins pkease. He's not on much any more but the few moments he is he knocks it outta the park. 

• Love 4

Pretty decent Thanksgiving episode except uncle Marvin ran off the poor librarian from Young Sheldon who ended up being the surprise GIRLFRIEND, not relative…nice little reference to that show though when Glascott was talking about his turtles, one of them being named Sheldon. And Barry could’ve helped with the groceries after offering to host Thanksgiving. 

• LOL 2

Watching this episode made me think of The White Lotus and the discussion around it of "How can you possibly like any of these characters?"

Well, I watch Goldbergs, and that family will make anyone appear likable in relative terms!

Edited by Traveller519
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3

Are we sure people actually date the Goldbergs willingly? I'm starting to get concerned that this is some kind of hostage situation. Count how many times Geoff is blinking, is it an SOS? So its yet another episode where Bev has to learn to stop smothering her kids? Next week it will probably be an episode where the kids have to learn to appreciate Bev, rinse and repeat. 

As always, the JTP is here to save the day. "I'm gonna have a wife and kids? Sweet." 

• Like 2
  • Love 4

Who let Brea’s new boyfriend in the JTP? Adam ended up being a jerk and was in the wrong but I didn’t like how Kirk was just shoehorned in the show last night. Last night was just awful. Carmen is growing on me though.

• Love 2

I appreciated the Christmas is better than Hanukkah storyline. As a kid, all I wanted for Hanukkah was to do fun Christmas activities but my mom was like Bev and Lou and basically banned all things Christmas from the house. To the point I was legit shocked my mom willingly bought me the Bonne Maman jam advent calendar from Costco this year and I'm in my 40s now (her Costco had it, mine did not). I'm glad Jeff found his spine and shared that their Jewish traditions were important to him, and the ultimate conclusion that their baby will be a Hanukkah baby. I do hope they incorporate some of the fun "Christmas" activities into their new family traditions.

Adam was a jerk but Kirk shouldn't have just been loved by all, so quickly. It's great Brea found a great guy and Brea did know about Carmen since Bev lied to get her back in town and back with Adam. I like Carmen and her rolling with Adam's awkwardness and unsure how to proceed. I hope this turns into something fun and healthy.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
On 12/2/2022 at 2:23 PM, tennisgurl said:

Next week it will probably be an episode where the kids have to learn to appreciate Bev, rinse and repeat. 

I think I would appreciate Bev as a mom.  She'd be a royal pain, but she'd be making me shrimp parm on demand.  I would have ended up with a horrible sense of self entitlement though.

On 12/2/2022 at 9:36 PM, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

I'm waiting for the episode where they mention that Glascott is  dating Beverly and is moving in next episode.  Are we ever going to get Lainey back with Barry????

Good idea, I want to hear Adam call Glascott daddy.  I wouldn't mind seeing Lainey again, but I've come to really like Joanne with Barry.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I like JoAnn. I hope Barry doesn’t mess up the relationship.

Just when I thought we’d finally moved on from Bria. 🙄

The Christmas vs Hanukkah baby plot was ridiculous, so I guess it fits in with the rest of the show.

Can we go one day without talking about Mrs. Garrett? 🤣

• Like 1

Did it seem like the show was going to exhaustive lengths to not actually say "Jewish"?

Lots of talk about Hanukkah and the items that go along with it. We even had a yarmulke wearing rabbai identified as such, but I don't recall anyone ever actually saying "we're a Jewish family" or "this is part of our Jewish heritage" it was "we're a a Hannukkah family" and these are my/our traditions."

• Like 5
On 12/8/2022 at 10:18 AM, nelroy78 said:

Who let Brea’s new boyfriend in the JTP? Adam ended up being a jerk and was in the wrong but I didn’t like how Kirk was just shoehorned in the show last night. Last night was just awful. Carmen is growing on me though.

I'm not kidding when I tell you that I had to power through the holiday party scene. I had to rewind it multiple times because I just couldn't bring myself to see how it ended, even though I already knew. Plus, that awful line from Adam about Kirk stealing Brea from him. Which made absolutely no sense. 

You remember how when Adam and Brea were dating, the writers treated it like they hated each other? How Brea acted like she couldn't stand Adam half the time and Adam turned into an asshole for the sake of the plot? How every episode involving them made Brea less of a character and more of a hostage? And then it didn't end until they broke up and got back together again? This episode was that. It brought back everything I hated about Adam and Brea's relationship, but this was probably the worst one because Adam already had a girl he was interested in (Carmen), moved on before Brea did (which the show wasn't interested in exploring at all), and used Carmen as a prop because he couldn't stand the idea of Brea dating someone else. 

I know Adam has to do the wrong thing. I know Adam has to learn his lesson. What I don't know is why they choose to make him so unsympathetic when they write these plots. And it's always with Brea for some bizarre reason. I really hope this is the last time I have to see a plot like this, but it's not. They're just going to have Carmen bring out the worst in Adam now.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Well they finally addressed Ms. Cinoman now being on American Auto. To be fair I guess they didn’t have to til tonight. They might as well say she resigned. Next to the birth episode it was the best of the season. For once it wasn’t Beverly who tried to ruin it for Adam, it was Principal Ball. I hope they keep him in this role at William Penn for the rest of the season. Better than singing “Coconuts” and being demoted to a janitor at a 50s diner. I don’t remember those types of computers back then but that will be handy for when he does go to NYU. The Three Men and a Baby storyline was also well done, I did have some issues with the episode. Andy did have a girlfriend in Season 8 in DeeVorced and Naked Rob is not a pedo, I don’t know where that came from. I was disgusted when they threw that part in. And since when did Geoff leave the JTP? Shouldn’t have told those girls at the bar Geoff was married. Oh, and what’s up with most of the scenes/clips in this promo not even airing? 

Edited by nelroy78
  • Like 4

Blade Runner: The Musical looks like the worst play I would watch three times. Ouch. 

Any episode featuring lots of JTP is always going to get extra points from me. Best part of the show by far. "I have a court date." 

• Like 4
  • LOL 2

I liked this one! Bev, Barry, and Erica were all really funny (in their actual plot.. the cold open was a little cringy). And I think it was because they gave subdued performances. I think they handled a real and complex situation well.

This was also the funniest I have found Geoff in a long while. Letting him be silly worked well. It was cute seeing him be so excited about partaking in the movie.

• Like 5

This Amadeus episode was one of the best in years. Amazing how the show soars when the plot doesn't rely on the pathetic crutch of Bev's overparenting turning psychotic until the teary ending revelation that's conveniently forgotten by the start of the next episode.

This time at least Adam was the asshole, though I loved the pairing of the Amadeus plot with Adam's machinations.

Dave Kim is awesome, and Erica's constant materialization (with ludicrous snack item) at every one of Barry's cock-blocking attempts was hilarious.

• Like 5
  • Applause 3

I'm honestly shocked by how good this episode was, it almost felt like the good old days when this show never failed to make me laugh every week. Unlike most of the reference episodes, this episode really did manage to actually use the pop culture reference of the week, this time Amadeus, as more than just a cheap name drop. Adam going full Salieri on Dave Kim was hilarious, it was so ridiculous, I loved it. 

Even the B Plot with Barry trying to stop Bev from dating again was funny, I laughed every time Erica showed up out of nowhere eating some weird new food to thwart Barry's schemes. 

Its amazing what this show can still do when it relies on plots other than Bev being a smoother and everyone having to cry at the end while learning a lesson that they'll inevitably forget by the next episode. 

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
On 1/19/2023 at 7:53 PM, Dewey Decimate said:

This time at least Adam was the asshole, though I loved the pairing of the Amadeus plot with Adam's machinations.

Dave Kim is awesome, and Erica's constant materialization (with ludicrous snack item) at every one of Barry's cock-blocking attempts was hilarious.

I was amused by Erica's snack lineup as well.

I'm sure this is a little obsessive-compulsive of me, but I feel I should point out that Salieri never tried to ruin Mozart's work like Adam did with Dave Kim.  He did try to see to it that his works were not publicly successful, and he did try to commission a piece anonymously that he intended to pass off as his own.  But he never changed a note of Mozart's "divine" work.

• Like 1

Second worst episode of the season tonight next to the Kirk episode. We waited four weeks for this? Last I checked Old McDonald was not offensive and shellfish allergies did not exist in the 80s. I think they forgot which decade the show was in. I bet real Beverly hated this episode too. And Barry’s outfit was just disgusting. Who thought it was a good idea to dress him in lunch meat? Lucky was the only good part of the episode. And Barry suddenly likes sharing a room with his brother? W T F?????

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
11 hours ago, nelroy78 said:

shellfish allergies did not exist in the 80s

People were allergic to shellfish in the 80s. I had a friend who was. But I see your point that people were much less hyper-focused on what to feed or not to feed babies in the 80s than they are now. Also I agree it was a terrible episode and if this isn't the last season it may be my last season. I've already cut out The Connors and Call Me Kat because they're just awful. I can cut out a few more. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

Barry wearing a suit made of lunch meat on stage in front of a bunch of kids while being attacked by a voracious dog had the potential to be very funny. The whole setup was there. And then they just slammed on the brakes.

And why was Erica saying sorry to Bev? She was overbearing as she always is and should just butt out however for some reason the other characters believe that Bev is right and they're in the wrong. 

Whatever with this show. 

• Like 1
On 2/16/2023 at 10:12 AM, joanne3482 said:

People were allergic to shellfish in the 80s. I had a friend who was. But I see your point that people were much less hyper-focused on what to feed or not to feed babies in the 80s than they are now. 

They definitely had shellfish allergies in the '80s.  But it did seem like Erica's mom friend came more out of 2023 than the '80s.  

I was more on Bev's side here.  She's raised three children, her experience as a mother should receive some respect here.  But I guess the younger folk don't respect their elders anymore, "Okay, Boomer".  I've never heard of chicken bones as pacifiers before.  I could see why it would work, but it sounds like a choking hazard too.  

• Like 2