Type keyword(s) to search

Bad Sisters - General Discussion

aghst
  • Start Topic

I thought the animal killing was too much, yet they kept on trying to kill him. It turned me off to the sisters very quickly. I read on here how it ended (thanks guys) because I couldn’t stomach all the collateral damage. 

• Love 1

Ugh😡 I hate these forums that are not separated by episode.  I have to watch the entire series before commenting on an episode or risk being spoiled. By that time I’m either over it or frustrated 

Just finished to. 3 Poor dog. How insanely irresponsible to poison that meat. The sister or the niece could have decided to try it, who knows. 
Also what’s to stop the Prick from resending those photos? 
And are we to believe they are going to get away with arson? 
I really hate seeing affairs portrayed. If you are that unhappy, just get out. It’s so hurtful to everyone.

That being said, I like it so far.  
The actress who plays the Pricks wife looks a little sickly to me but maybe that’s because I want to smack her for being such a doormat & worse.  

• Like 3

Small question, but the insurance guys said JP had 4 claims in the past year and I can only think of two - the cabin and the fended bender with Ursula. Was Bibi’s eye supposed to be within the last year? I thought it was much further back, for her to be ok socializing with him. But even if theyre counting that one, I still can’t think of a fourth. 

23 hours ago, LeGrandElephant said:

Small question, but the insurance guys said JP had 4 claims in the past year and I can only think of two - the cabin and the fended bender with Ursula. Was Bibi’s eye supposed to be within the last year? I thought it was much further back, for her to be ok socializing with him. But even if theyre counting that one, I still can’t think of a fourth. 

Maybe there was life insurance on his mother, too? Not a huge, “support a widow and minor child” amount, but enough to cover funeral expenses. 

Maybe the accident with Bibi, but I thought that was further back, too. 

Or maybe the fourth claim is the one for JP’s death—he said “the family” had 4 claims in the past year, not JP personally.

Given what we saw of the flashback of JP’s car crash with Bibi, I honestly don’t see how she and the rest of the sisters kept socializing with him for years(?) after that! He was purposely messing with her, using the death of her parents to scare her, and purposely driving recklessly, and with terrible “life-ruining” results. Maybe suppose he could have convinced Grace that it was all Bibi’s fault and she was remembering it wrong, but I’d think the rest of the sisters would support her side and they’d all refuse to socialize with him anymore. They could have sat grace down for an intervention and she might have left him. Instead they all just keep acting like they’re fine with him while secretly plotting to kill him? They act like they had no other options than to kill him but they definitely did. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, LeGrandElephant said:

Maybe suppose he could have convinced Grace that it was all Bibi’s fault and she was remembering it wrong, but I’d think the rest of the sisters would support her side and they’d all refuse to socialize with him anymore. They could have sat grace down for an intervention and she might have left him.

Unfortunately that’s not the way abuse works. JP was a master gaslighter who got Grace twisted around every time she thought he might be in the wrong. I’m sure it was something like, “It was raining heavily and poor Bibi got hysterical. Perfectly understandable after what happened to your parents. But then she grabbed the wheel and the accident happened.” The sisters, of course, would see right through it, but how could they convince Grace that her husband was an actual monster? 

Bibi and the rest had the choice to either try to keep a lifeline available to their sister or allow Grace to be further isolated by him. 

• Like 2

I so didn't get the Drama in the last episode. Just make a deal. The killer relinquishes the claim on the payout and in exchange you don't turn her in. The fraud doesn't get discovered, the murder doesn't get discovered and everybody is happy. It was so obvious that the milking it for 30 minutes and then coming to that obvious outcome fell absolutely flat for me.

• Applause 2
On 1/4/2023 at 2:45 PM, LeGrandElephant said:

Given what we saw of the flashback of JP’s car crash with Bibi, I honestly don’t see how she and the rest of the sisters kept socializing with him for years(?) after that! He was purposely messing with her, using the death of her parents to scare her, and purposely driving recklessly, and with terrible “life-ruining” results. Maybe suppose he could have convinced Grace that it was all Bibi’s fault and she was remembering it wrong, but I’d think the rest of the sisters would support her side and they’d all refuse to socialize with him anymore. They could have sat grace down for an intervention and she might have left him. Instead they all just keep acting like they’re fine with him while secretly plotting to kill him? They act like they had no other options than to kill him but they definitely did. 

Women are also just expected to put up with it, especially if he's your sister's husband. I don't have a relationship with my sister, because of her husband. I didn't want to be around him, too long of a story to tell in a show thread, but it's for extremely good reasons. So, she gave me the boot.

• Sad 3
On 1/4/2023 at 9:28 PM, ahisma said:

Unfortunately that’s not the way abuse works. JP was a master gaslighter who got Grace twisted around every time she thought he might be in the wrong. I’m sure it was something like, “It was raining heavily and poor Bibi got hysterical. Perfectly understandable after what happened to your parents. But then she grabbed the wheel and the accident happened.” The sisters, of course, would see right through it, but how could they convince Grace that her husband was an actual monster? 

Exactly. This is why some of the comments about Grace being a doormat don't sit well with me. If it was so easy for a woman to leave her husband when he became controlling/abusive, domestic abuse wouldn't be the issue that it is. I also completely believe Eva staying quiet for 10 years about the rape. We've seen recently with real-life cases that it's not uncommon for rape victims to stay quiet for years. It's hard enough for women to disclose having been raped when it's a complete stranger or someone they personally like. I can't imagine how hard it must have been for Eva to think about telling Grace what JP had done and risk her not believing her or taking his side. If I were Eva, that would have killed me.

Anyway, I just finished this show and absolutely loved it. I am a big fan of the multiple-sister show genre, though so far I have only encountered it in non-English television, so I really liked that aspect of it. Every single scene between the sisters was thoroughly enjoyable, the actresses all played off each other really well.

And of course, the big denouement of JP's death was as satisfying as I was hoping it would be. Kudos to the actor for making him such a despicable human being to the point that it caused me almost physical revulsion every time he did something prick-ish. Re: the fact that he was too one-note or too villainous to be believable, I 100% believe men like him exist: extremely charming to ensure they have they people they need wrapped around their fingers but also capable of tremendous harm, with zero empathy or concern for others' feelings except their own. It's why he creates such a visceral reaction in some of us. He's not a moustache-twirling Marvel villain whose ultimate goal is to take over the world, he could literally be the person your sister marries and whom you have to be civil to at family reunions, and therein lies the true horror of fictional characters like him IMO. This show also made me realize that the sisters (and Nora) were infinitely better people than I am because I could not ever bring myself to be cordial to a man like him, even if he was married to my sister whom I love. It just goes to show how much they loved Grace that they were willing to put in that level of effort (especially Eva) to make sure she didn't feel uncomfortable every time they got the family together.

I heard the news of the renewal before finishing the show, so I thought perhaps it ended in a cliffhanger that justified a second season, but nope, everything was tied up as if it was indeed planned out as a limited series, so I can't imagine what a season 2 could possibly be about, but I am 100% there. I would watch 10 episodes of the 5 sisters sitting around Eva's kitchen drinking wine, tbh.

• Like 3
On 11/6/2022 at 8:17 PM, Spartan Girl said:

I watched this because my friend kept saying I should…and I wasn’t feeling it. This was too dark a comedy for my taste. Was I supposed to find it funny that innocent people and animals kept getting killed instead of that miserable bastard John Paul? Even when he finally got what he deserved, I couldn’t take much satisfaction out of it.

This. I could barely finish the thing after Minna's death. So not one, but two pets killed, felt rather gratuitous. And then they kill the sweet, defenseless dementia patient (I admit that one hit close to home as my mother is in the advanced stages of dementia). I must not be made for the genre--watching the prick let his father just choke to death with very little attempt to save him just repulsed me. By the time we watched Grace kill him, it was way overdue in my opinion. The whole thing could have been much shorter and I wish they would not have dragged it out so much.

• Like 2

Anyone watch Flora and Son movie?  It stars Joseph Gordon Hewitt and Eve Hewson, Becca on Bad Sisters.

good reviews but curious if anyone who watched Bad Sisters saw it.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 8/16/2022 at 2:29 AM, AngieBee1 said:

IMDB isn't great with crediting. It is indeed created by Horgan and she is one of the leads. 

It wasn't created by Horgan. It's an adaptation of a Finnish series called Clan (or The Out-Laws in English translation) that was made in 2012. The first few episodes are practically identical though it diverges a bit once it goes on.

• Useful 1