Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: Clue Boom-Boom Pow!

• Start Topic

"Celebrities including Mark-Paul Gosselaar, Taraji P. Henson, Breckin Meyer, Alison Sweeney, Angela Kinsey, and Fred Willard compete in party games." Not "including." That's all of them. Also I assume Meyer and Gosselaar will be treated as all couples are and assigned to opposite teams.

• Love 1

I was plesantly surprised by both the non-celebrities. 

This show is very good for being judgemental.  The first thing I notice is what shoes the women are wearing to determine how serious they are about winning. 

• Love 1

I'm ready for a break from 4 Letter Words or whatever it's called. I also don't think it's fair for the second team to get to watch the first team attempt to pass the words because I feel like you could develop a better "passing strategy" after seeing a team do it though CLEARLY I'm wrong because everyone sucks at it.

• Love 1

I agree 100%, Mardeth.   I hate Clue Boom.    So yell-y and frantic, and the random time factor makes it more of a luck-based game than a skill game!       At least with Four Letter Words they have to work together and figure things out and everyone has the same amount of time.  I actually enjoy Four Letter Words because I feel like you get a little more of some of their actual personalities.   And you can see who is really, really dumb.

• Love 1

I like any game you can play from home while watching.   You can't with the 4 letter word game.  I've laughed some when they've had the letters upside down or with some passing fails but I don't love it.

I don't mind clue boom but they've gone to that well too many times in a row this season.

• Love 1

Just...what Tara wrote in her review. It is not as bad as the Martin Short episodes, imo, but to quote Opus the Penguin, " ...but Lord it wasn't good."  (http://www.arghink.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/bloom-county-1.gif )

I liked Jane's necklace. It also seemed to me that the other two celebrities had flats or "not stilettos" on for the game.

What was Brecken Meyers' jumping on the Clue-Boom table for?

Not sure I should recommend an episode that makes it's contestants look dumb. Well, the show doesn't, but it didn't help either.

I think Jessica Lange would have been an easy one for the civilian - American Horror Story.

But that girl was a very distant cousin to the one who made it to Celebrity Name Game (with Breckin Meyer -- not Alison Sweeney, the one she should have taken).

Yeah, I think she might have done better with AS. Some of the names were hard, granted, but I just don't think Breckin and the civilian had similar sensibilities or common references. I understood why she took Breckin because he was the best overall player, but she and AS would probably have been more simpatico. A lot of Celebrity Name Game hinges on the celebrity giving the kinds of clues that work for that particular civilian.

I'm swimming against the tide, but I enjoyed this episode greatly, and all the cast. Taraji was maybe a bit OTT, but everyone had energy (except Fred Willard, but he was quite funny a few times) and were into competing while also having a good time.

Edited by Black Knight
  • Love 1

I don't know who/what Questlove is but I definatelywould have known Jessica Lange from American Horror Story.  Ryan Murphy may have messed things up on Glee but he at least revived a worthy actress' career. 

I enjoy watching Clue-boom but I don't think it is fair for dumb luck to have a roll in determining who wins $25000 unless it is a lottery.  Being a good clue giver and knowing the answer should actually count for something but it plays no part in determining the outcome in this game.   Still I do enjoy the show including this ep.

Edited by MDKNIGHT

I take your point about the fairness or lack thereof with Clue-boom. But it's never the last game, and each turn is only worth a few points. And each team gets clue-boomed at least once, so the gap that results is never big. I've noticed the last game is always worth enough points that no lead is truly safe.

Plus, it's not like the civilians are paying money for a shot at 25K. They know going in (well, by now they do, anyway) that some of the games will be more luck than skill, and they get to be on TV having a fun evening with a bunch of celebrities. They're not putting up anything for this, but they're getting something out of it whether they win or not.

• Love 1

What I don't like about Clue Boom, other than the random time, as mentioned, is that the winning team gets the losing team's points. So if your team is good at the clues, then you randomly get boomed, the other team benefits by taking all your points. Or maybe I made that up and got confused. :)