Type keyword(s) to search

S1E15: Nice Girls Finish Last

• Start Topic

The new crew finally finds its footing, while Captain Jason starts to notice Jamie is having a hard time managing Culver; Culver gets too close to a charter guest on a night out and Brittini picks up the pieces.

They encourage primary charter guest Jourdi, who had said she was trying to stay away from alcohol, to drink up and enjoy her birthday and charter.

That brought out the wild girl, who talks about having a threesome with Culver and Britain and going topless with her brother at the hot tub, not to mention FaceTiming with her dad while topless.

Not only that, she's trying to steal Culver from Brittini, who's the nice girl in the title of the episode.

Brittini, he's just not that into you.

Culver was low-energy on this charter.  There was a big party but Culver wasn't into it.  Captain Jason notices it and has Jaime tell him to step up, which Culver takes as an affront -- he goes on duty and scarfs down breakfast right away.

Eh a little mix up with service timing and steak filets become Thai beef salad as they cool.  They need to cut Nate some slack after he had to clean up after Ryan.

But now Nate's freaking out about the demands of the next charter, which starts the next day, just like BDSY is doing a quick turnaround charter.

Of course the kids are still going out to party even though they have to be real to work early next morning.

• Applause 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

I feel sorry for the new chef if he has problems with anxiety.  I do too and it's just so exhausting and debilitating.  I know not everyone likes taking Western medicine but it has saved my life (I have depression too), so meditation and medication might really help him.  Culver is so weird.  His facial expression is like a deer in the headlights.  I find I really don't care about him at all.

I would DIE before showing my breasts to my brother and my dad.  What the hell is wrong with her?  Oh yeah -- it's alcohol.  The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.

Benny seemed to be doing a good job in this episode.  His Mad DJ Skillz made up for that horrible first dinner.  Was there only one course served (cold beef) because I think that's all I saw.  And then that sad looking cake.  Chef should have had a tiered cake brought in from shore.  They've done it before. 

Edited by Oosala
  • Love 5

I don’t know why they don’t use professional bakers for all the cakes.   Most chefs don’t make desserts in real life.  It’s a different skill set.  Especially for the upcoming vow renewal.   Who wants a sloppy looking wedding cake.  And most cakes on this show have been sloppy.   I guess it will be better than the chef who spread chocolate syrup on the table on sailing yacht last year.  

• Love 9

Like waiting for a Primary guest to show up before serving, these comments are in the order of the episode broadcast…

The whole “dinner is ruint” because they must wait for the Primary to show is so medieval.  It reminds me of the story of Tycho Brahe, a 16th century nobleman and astronomer, who died of complications of the bladder because he would not excuse himself from a banquet table for relief because someone of higher rank was at the table.  Man, not me.  I’d be like “Clean up on Aisle 5!”

So Benny is DJ Lazy Susan?  I don’t think I’ve ever seen a more appropriate name in me life!

Just a brief comment on the cake – I don’t know what it is about the Southern Hemisphere, but I’ve never been able to get a cake to properly rise there.  I spent a few years in New Zealand, which is sort of an organic Australia, and no matter what I tried, cakes and baked goods just did not behave the same way they do north of the equator.  Maybe it’s directional spin, maybe it’s gravity, maybe it’s Mordor… but cake is just not cake down under.

Nate – I feel for you, mate.  You’re not a failure.  You took over from a crap chef and Aesha is a crap Chief Stew.  It’s not you.  It’s them.  You did everything right.  Aesha messed it up.

Benny – hearing you complain about someone else is like hearing an infection complain about antibiotics – useless and misdirected.

Taylor seems very grounded, and with her experience, much better than Aesha’s hippy/trippy approach.  And speaking of Aesha, now that she’s doing her job at dinner and serving promptly, the guests are happy!  Who would have thought!

So, wait, drunken Jourdi (the Primary Guest), who was not supposed to be drinking but is wasted, goes topless and climbs into the hot tub with her brother…. WTF?  I know they’re in the Med and all, but how far do you take Ancient Greece and Rome?

Hey Benny – nice job lowering the ramming fender – about 5 minutes late!

The preference sheets for the next charter shows it’s very challenging on all fronts.  And they have to be on deck by 8AM the next day.  So what do the crew do?  GO OUT AND GET WASTED, YYYEAAAAHHH!  Numpties.

What will happen next week?  Will Nate catch his breath?  Will “Entertainment Officer” Culver pull his head out?  Will Brittini flash us again like she did at the end of this episode (hopefully)?  Will Benny not mess something up?  Will Tumi continue to be the perfect goddess that she is?  Stay tuned, if you can stay awake…

• LOL 4
  • Love 5

So, what's up with Culver?  Is he homesick?  It wasn't really explained and I'm confused.  I wonder if Production told him they need more drama now that Ryan and Magda went home.  

Nate needs to get it together.  He is a nervous wreck.  I wouldn't want Captain Jason to hang around the kitchen all the time while I am trying to find my bearings- wouldn't help with the anxiety, but he is now freaking out over a preference sheet.  Most competent chefs would either complain a bit and get to work or take it as a challenge. (Ryan would have criticized the guests and had a nap. 😉)

• Love 2
On 10/5/2022 at 8:27 PM, Tanukisan said:

Benny – hearing you complain about someone else is like hearing an infection complain about antibiotics – useless and misdirected.

This metaphor is brilliant!

Regarding the cake not working, my Dad had a similar story.  He was on a small ship in the Pacific in the Navy during WWII.  He wasn't the cook but for some reason he was asked to bake a cake.  He said the cake never raised (is that the right word?).  It stayed flat like when he poured in the batter.  So the sailors gave him a colorful earful when they saw the not-cake.  He said, "That's brownies, god damn it.  You can eat 'em or you can throw 'em overboard."

Edited by Oosala
Because I'm ever-so-slightly OCD.
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Oosala said:

He said, "That's brownies, god damn it.  You can eat 'em or you can throw 'em overboard."

A friend of mine was a cook on a submarine. He said he'd always bake chocolate cakes because if they fell, he could call them brownies. 

And to stay on topic with the episode:  Order a cake!!!!! 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

I can't imagine getting in a hot tub with my baby sister topless .

I don't think she'd be very keen on the idea either😎, but the woman was quite loaded.😏

What's up with Culver?  Just homesick?  Season's almost over.  Suck it up and do your job.

Glad Nate is doing better.  He only had 4 hours to put that together plus cleaning that filthy galley first, engineers in his way, but service was a big problem.  I'm glad Aesha stepped up and told the Captain as much.  Why not just tell everybody we had "some equipment problems in the galley"?Good luck Ryan getting another job after that performance.  Internet is forever.

Why weren't Nate and Taylor there the day before?

Taylor is so much more competent than Magda.  She knew they were monitoring her phone usage.  Just leave the damn thing in your quarters when you should be working!

Britinni continues to annoy me.  Did she ever apologize?  You just have to sound sincere, even if you're not.  Do it and move on.  He's still her boss.

Benny was surprisingly much better and Jaime needs to get over it.

Now that the guests are off, is it a big problem meeting up at the club?  They're on vacation and won't be around forever.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

The whole “dinner is ruint” because they must wait for the Primary to show is so medieval. 

Not only that but the timing was off from the start because the primary took forever to finish her first course. If all the other guests are sitting there while she's playing with her food I'm sure nobody would mind if the second course was served. The primary could keep her dish and put it to one side if she's still working on it. Maybe that's not the "rule" in hoity toity service world but be practical for pete's sake. These guests don't seem like they'd know Michelin Five Star from McDonalds.  And yes, they should have served the final course even if the primary wasn't at the table. 

I don't know what to make of primary going topless with her brother. It could be a Flowers in the Attic situation, or it might be as simple as they were raised in a household that didn't get strung out by nudity. Brtittini gasps and clutches the pearls then five minutes later she's flashing the cameraman in the limo. To me that's far tackier than going topless in a hot tub even if your brother is there. I think these guests are American, but in lots of countries a woman going topless in front of family members would not be considered gasp-worthy.

Much as I'm glad to see Ryan gone, I wonder if it was really practical to hire a new chef just for two charters. Ryan might have been a pain in the ass and his food might have been mediocre but I didn't see evidence that it adversely affected their tips, so I'll be interested to see if there's a noticeable difference in tips going forward. I think Ryan was hired for the express purpose of being fired at some point and the show didn't have the back-up ready as soon as they thought they would.

Jamie just gets worse every week. He made Culver think he was in the Captain's cross-hairs right after two people were fired. I think that's why Culver is suddenly down in the dumps and it's all Jamie's fault. All the captain wanted to know was why Culver skipped the party. 

• Like 1
On 10/11/2022 at 9:53 AM, SemiCharmedLife said:

So, what's up with Culver?  Is he homesick?  It wasn't really explained and I'm confused.  I wonder if Production told him they need more drama now that Ryan and Magda went home.  

Nate needs to get it together.  He is a nervous wreck.  I wouldn't want Captain Jason to hang around the kitchen all the time while I am trying to find my bearings- wouldn't help with the anxiety, but he is now freaking out over a preference sheet.  Most competent chefs would either complain a bit and get to work or take it as a challenge. (Ryan would have criticized the guests and had a nap. 😉)

Seeing the disgusting mess Ryan left the galley in, imagine trying to be a chef in that. 

That cold food was completely the primary's fault. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, nokat said:

Seeing the disgusting mess Ryan left the galley in, imagine trying to be a chef in that. 

That cold food was completely the primary's fault. 

I completely agree that he was put into a terrible situation (drama designed by production) and was behind from the start.  The first dinner's mishaps weren't his fault and I felt bad for him.  I'm worried about his reaction to the next charter's preference sheet.  

• Love 1
1 minute ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

I completely agree that he was put into a terrible situation (drama designed by production) and was behind from the start.  The first dinner's mishaps weren't his fault and I felt bad for him.  I'm worried about his reaction to the next charter's preference sheet.  

Wasn't it something like vegan and gluten free? No anxiety for the chef there. /s

• Love 2

Please Bravo stop trying to make Brittini and Culver a thing!  It's just embarrassing at this point.  They both seem to genuinely like each other but this idea that they HAVE TO BE A COUPLE AND HOOK UP--ugh enough already.

12 hours ago, PaperTree said:

Now that the guests are off, is it a big problem meeting up at the club?  They're on vacation and won't be around forever.

Nothing I guess but it could be a situation where Brittini was fussed at by Jamie for flirting with a charter guest and here Culver is doing the same and if he doesn't get any reprimands than it could seem like a double standard *shrug*  Just guessing, I haven't seen the next episode.

• Love 1

Nothing I guess but it could be a situation where Brittini was fussed at by Jamie for flirting with a charter guest and here Culver is doing the same and if he doesn't get any reprimands than it could seem like a double standard *shrug*  Just guessing, I haven't seen the next episode.

To be fair, Brittini was on the clock supposed to be working when she was chatting up the guests. Culver was off the clock at a club. Jamie doesn't have any say in what Culver does outside of working hours.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

To be fair, Brittini was on the clock supposed to be working when she was chatting up the guests. Culver was off the clock at a club. Jamie doesn't have any say in what Culver does outside of working hours.

There are no off hours as long as there are cameras around.

It's a TV show, not representative of how charters are run.  The crew are not plied with alcohol every time they are between charters nor are they compelled to attend these dinners IRL.

So whatever they film is for the show and it's all fair game for the cast to make a big deal out of it, to make drama.

There are no off hours as long as there are cameras around.

It's a TV show, not representative of how charters are run.  The crew are not plied with alcohol every time they are between charters nor are they compelled to attend these dinners IRL.

So whatever they film is for the show and it's all fair game for the cast to make a big deal out of it, to make drama.

Yes but they have to maintain the illusion of yachting work. There's a difference between Brittini slacking off on the boat when she's supposed to be working and Culver hooking up with a former charter guest at a club when he's not working (on the boat). It's not as if Culver is supposed to be doing something else at the moment, like Brittini was when Jamie called her out. The issue wasn't that Brittini was flirting, it was that she was shirking her duties chatting up the guests. Jamie even said at the time it was fine to flirt with the guests but not if it interferes with your work.

4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

The issue wasn't that Brittini was flirting, it was that she was shirking her duties chatting up the guests. Jamie even said at the time it was fine to flirt with the guests but not if it interferes with your work.

That’s all well and good, but what irritates me about Jamie is that he essentially scolded Tumi when she shared with him that she was irritated with Culver for hanging out in the hot tub with guests while she worked. Janie’s attitude in that situation was that flirting with guests and having a good time with them is part of getting a good tip. And Tumi has proven herself to be a good sport. If she complained to Jaimie, Culver must have been hanging out for an extended amount of time. No one complained about Britini’s flirting, but Jaimie was happy to jump in her shit about it anyway. 

With Jamie, what’s good for the goose is not for the gander. He has  a double standard. 🙄

• Applause 2
  • Love 3

Jamie was a crap boss for not saying to Captain Jason that Culvert ASKED AND RECEIVED PERMISSION to go to bed for the night. Culvert has been working very hard all season and earned that rest. 
There was no reason to not stick up for him.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, lgprimes said:

Jamie was a crap boss for not saying to Captain Jason that Culvert ASKED AND RECEIVED PERMISSION to go to bed for the night. Culvert has been working very hard all season and earned that rest. 
There was no reason to not stick up for him.

Jamie really gets under my skin for pettiness, control issues and insecurity. I have already commented on his toxic masculinity and misogyny that makes me treat women and non alpha males like Benny not very well. However, I am staring to think that his ego is so fragile that he is starting to feel threatened by Culver. Goofy Jack o' Lantern grin aside, Culver is a pretty buff, confident guy who has a good time, and if not the life of the party, seems to hold his own as "Chief Entertainment Officer." And more girls than Brittini seem to like him. I am starting to think that Culver's easy, confident, relaxed masculinity is starting to grate on old fragile pants Jamie at the end of the season. I think he is pissed at Culver for those reasons he can't name and just wants to take him down a peg...not stand up for him to captain and then rub it in that Culver is is in the captains crosshairs. 

Taking Culver down a notch, jumping in Benny's shit for everything and keeping  the girls in line is all Jamie has to prop himself up. Add to that that we have seen him criticize the captain pretty openly and brazenly for his lack of security concerns. The bosun has concerns with the captain's performance and told his team that he would take it up directly with him if necessary.  That's pretty fuchin' arrogant. 

With all that said, I just see Jamie as this fragile, shivering, weak little ego wondering around looking for validation in all the wrong places. 

• Love 4

That’s all well and good, but what irritates me about Jamie is that he essentially scolded Tumi when she shared with him that she was irritated with Culver for hanging out in the hot tub with guests while she worked. Janie’s attitude in that situation was that flirting with guests and having a good time with them is part of getting a good tip. And Tumi has proven herself to be a good sport. If she complained to Jaimie, Culver must have been hanging out for an extended amount of time. No one complained about Britini’s flirting, but Jaimie was happy to jump in her shit about it anyway. 

That's true, it was a double standard in that instance. However, the incident with Culver at the club is an entirely different issue. It's not like Culver was supposed to be working instead of dancing with a recent charter guest. That's my point.