Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

(edited)

Whew…still heartbreaking… but at least this one was slightly less tragic. But only 2 more episodes and we know he dies. “I’ve never seen myself older than 42”

interesting seeing their relationship. It’s so sad she longs for older Henry while with younger Henry. At some point he becomes who she loves. Can’t be easy on 28 YO Henry who is clearly still struggling. I’m guessing Clare is the catalyst for his growth. But oy…

Pretty messed up that Gomez and Charisse are their best friends and in the 2 year drought Clare slept with them both. Oy…

Edited by MzLiz
Spelling
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, MzLiz said:

Whew…still heartbreaking… but at least this one was slightly less tragic. But only 2 more episodes and we know he dies. “I’ve never seen myself older than 42”

interesting seeing their relationship. It’s so sad she longs for older Henry while with younger Henry. At some point he becomes who she loves. Can’t be easy on 28 YO Henry who is clearly still struggling. I’m guessing Clare is the catalyst for his growth. But oy…

Pretty messed up that Gomez and Charisse are their best friends and in the 2 year drought Clare slept with them both. Oy…

I agree. 

But I have a question for you all- if you knew your true love was coming, wouldn’t that make you LESS anxious about love and relationships? I know it’s very different thinking that at 36 (my age now) compared to 18, but I think if at 18 I knew with 100% certainty that my true love was coming, and in TWO YEARS (about) I would’ve just chilled out. There would’ve been no pressure about any sort of hookup or date or sexual adventures because I knew he was coming. 

Claire was super angsty, which after her assault and her emotions about being raped (which of course was understandable) I just felt so bad for her. He is coming Claire and Henry is going to fall in love with you- it’s okay to just wait a little while longer. Again- I know she’s 18. 

And Gomez was kind of a jerk- not only he cheats on his GF, he pouts over Claire. I loved her retort when he said “I thought you were a lesbian because you’re always alone.”, “Lesbians aren’t alone, you’re missing something.”

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
27 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Where is the scene where Claire slept with Sharice? I don't remember that at all.

Yup. Sharice kisses her, she kinda freaks out a bit, there are a few lines of dialogue and then the next scene is them in bed together and restaging of her scene with Gomez (with her arm going around Claire in bed). 

7 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

How sad that a poster was hoping for a lighter episode this week.  Ha haha!  Lightness is not allowed on this show!

That was me. I won't get around to watching the episode until Saturday - it's become a ritual for me to watch the episode while scoffing down my Saturday Subway. I will now change my expectation from light frivolity to heavy angst.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

How sad that a poster was hoping for a lighter episode this week.  Ha haha!  Lightness is not allowed on this show!

Oh I don't know, I thought this actually was a lighter episode than last week's. Yeah there was a somber ending but the bulk of the episode was spent on the dinner party and that was kind of fun. I loved Desmin Borges on You're The Worst so it was fun seeing him here. 

Let's face it, Clare and Henry's lives are so messed up, so it's nice when they ease up on the angst and have fun with the time travel stuff. Explaining the two Henrys to their friends was a hoot, and so was Clare's amusement at Young Henry and Old Henry talking to each other.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Explaining the two Henrys to their friends was a hoot, and so was Clare's amusement at Young Henry and Old Henry talking to each other.

I also like the work Theo James is doing with versions of Henry. Of course they are the same person, but you can tell 28yrs old Henry is different than 41 yrs old Henry, even in the way he moves and looks at Claire- 41yrs old Henry looks at Claire with love and he goes to embrace her with tenderness. 28yrs old Henry is hot for her, but he is not looking at her with love in his eyes (which makes sense because he isn't in love with her yet!)

On the flip side, 41yrs old Henry is the person Claire loves, 28yrs old Henry is firmer and tighter, but he "feels different" because he is different! Its subtle but its there.

• Love 5
(edited)

Am I the only one who hated everything about Gomez?

Charisse has my name but we spell it differently. I get a kick when I see or hear my name attached to fictional characters.

Edited by Enigma X
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

Charisse has my name but we spell it differently. I get a kick when I see or hear my name attached to fictional characters.

I didnt like him either. Not that I thought Charisse cheating on him was okay, but we didnt see Charisse act so entitled to Claire afterwards, so she was less creepy.

But I am assuming these two are around the same age as Claire (20ish) so I can believe he grows up.

• Love 1

About the 42 years old thing. Henry talks to us as an older man with longer gray hair who looks older than 42. I think he stops time traveling at 42, not die. (I did not read the book)

• Like 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, edhopper said:

About the 42 years old thing. Henry talks to us as an older man with longer gray hair who looks older than 42. I think he stops time traveling at 42, not die. (I did not read the book)

He does look older than 42 there, you’re right. Though In the 1st episode that older looking guy did disappear after talking so I assumed he was still time traveling. I’d like to hope he does live a longer life. 

On 6/6/2022 at 2:08 PM, Scarlett45 said:

I didnt like him either. Not that I thought Charisse cheating on him was okay, but we didnt see Charisse act so entitled to Claire afterwards, so she was less creepy.

But I am assuming these two are around the same age as Claire (20ish) so I can believe he grows up.

This show does the hand-written text with the ages and it said that Gomez was 32 to Claire's 20-something.  I don't remember Claire's age there, but clearly remember Gomez's because I was surprised at the age difference.  He was WAY to old to be a petulant brat about Claire not sharing his feelings.

I know- no book talk but I will say I loved the Gomez in the books but I'm really not loving him here. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Whimsy said:

This show does the hand-written text with the ages and it said that Gomez was 32 to Claire's 20-something.  I don't remember Claire's age there, but clearly remember Gomez's because I was surprised at the age difference. 

You’re right! I forgot. Claire and Henry met for the first time in Henry’s timeline when he was 28 and she was 20, so since this was the beginning of the relationship I’d say Claire is 20. And she was probably 19 when she hooked up with Gomez. That makes it more EWW on his part. 

• Love 1
On 6/6/2022 at 12:55 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Where is the scene where Claire slept with Sharice? I don't remember that at all.

It's more implied than any sex being shown. They are seen lying together afterwards. 

On 6/9/2022 at 7:08 PM, PWHCHCH said:

wonder if Claire will have a threesome with the two Henrys :D

Given how experimental they all are I'm surprised they haven't already!

• Love 1
On 6/7/2022 at 4:01 AM, Enigma X said:

Not a fan either and he seems an unlikely match for the very attractive Charisse. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4

I found this ep to be more fun and I liked that we didn't see a dozen Henry's running around. It is interesting that older Henry didn't just disappear mid dinner party. Also interesting that Charisse and Gomez were so accepting of the time travel thing, I would have been dialing the cops. 

Younger Henry having a girlfriend that also shares his secret was interesting and plausible, Claire was shocked and I think a bit relieved to know she could talk to someone else about the whole thing. I thought the blonde's character was funny too, especially when she grabbed the pot of risotto and started to finish it. 

Claire still comes across as angry and confused, the way she slept with Charisse and then Gomez. I am not sure too many men would want their woman they end up marrying to "Be their last not their first" or however he put it, I also thought that was rather unfair on 18 y.o Claire to expect her to have other guys first when it's obvious she only likes Henry. Preferably the older Henry.

Anyone else think  18 y.o Claire's outfit was rather street walker? And was she actually running in those clunky heels?

2 hours ago, LadyIrony said:

I am not sure too many men would want their woman they end up marrying to "Be their last not their first" or however he put it, I also thought that was rather unfair on 18 y.o Claire to expect her to have other guys first when it's obvious she only likes Henry. Preferably the older Henry.

I think most people would want their spouse to be their last not their first. Assuming one of you doesn’t die young, and you get to live out your lives together, that’s kind of expected no? For them to be the last person you have sex with? (I’m not being sarcastic- sorry if it comes off that way)

I think Henry said that to let Claire know it was OK for her to have sex, date, have experiences with other guys- it didn’t change what was going to happen between them and their love story. Which I thought was the best/most fair thing he could do. He would be kind of an asshole to encourage her to just be celibate waiting on him- since as he said it, he hasn’t met her yet in her timeline, and he’s not waiting on her. 

As I said up thread, I know Claire is 18, but girl you KNOW Henry is coming. You know. It’s two years. Chill out.

But to be fair to Claire, she was violently raped on a night she was planning on being with Henry in the clearing, so I’m SURE that plays into her feelings about sex with other guys. I hope she got help to deal with that. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
20 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I think most people would want their spouse to be their last not their first. Assuming one of you doesn’t die young, and you get to live out your lives together, that’s kind of expected no? For them to be the last person you have sex with? (I’m not being sarcastic- sorry if it comes off that way)

I think Henry said that to let Claire know it was OK for her to have sex, date, have experiences with other guys- it didn’t change what was going to happen between them and their love story. Which I thought was the best/most fair thing he could do. He would be kind of an asshole to encourage her to just be celibate waiting on him- since as he said it, he hasn’t met her yet in her timeline, and he’s not waiting on her. 

As I said up thread, I know Claire is 18, but girl you KNOW Henry is coming. You know. It’s two years. Chill out.

But to be fair to Claire, she was violently raped on a night she was planning on being with Henry in the clearing, so I’m SURE that plays into her feelings about sex with other guys. I hope she got help to deal with that. 

Perhaps it's a matter of perspective. It may seem ethical or morally correct to want that person to experience others and then settle down with yourself. But at the same time, experiencing others brings about pain and possible actual harm whether it be directly or otherwise. It can also lead to causing harm to others as we see with the confused Claire sleeping with attached Gomez and Charisse. Although the fact that G & C cheat on each other speaks volumes. 

And yes, she was raped so she knows who she wants. She doesn't feel a need to go out and be with others. That is a strength in my book rather than a weakness that needs to be corrected. Even before being raped she knew who she wanted to be with. Not many people get that gift. 

I don't think Henry has to be encouraging one way or the other. He just has to reassure her it will happen. He has the benefit of time travel so she knows she can believe him. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, LadyIrony said:

Perhaps it's a matter of perspective. It may seem ethical or morally correct to want that person to experience others and then settle down with yourself. But at the same time, experiencing others brings about pain and possible actual harm whether it be directly or otherwise. It can also lead to causing harm to others as we see with the confused Claire sleeping with attached Gomez and Charisse. Although the fact that G & C cheat on each other speaks volumes. 

And yes, she was raped so she knows who she wants. She doesn't feel a need to go out and be with others. That is a strength in my book rather than a weakness that needs to be corrected. Even before being raped she knew who she wanted to be with. Not many people get that gift. 

I don't think Henry has to be encouraging one way or the other. He just has to reassure her it will happen. He has the benefit of time travel so she knows she can believe him. 

Thanks for explaining further- I better understand where you’re coming from now. 

I was focusing on the certainty of “being the last” part- meaning you’ll get to grow old together and have a long happy emotionally intimate/sexually satisfying marriage.

You were focusing more on the “not the first” part, with the ideology that your spouse would be the first/only person you’d want to have partnered sex with.

Of course Claire does not have to have sex with anyone she doesn’t want to, and her rape was awful and traumatic. But IF she met a guy that struck her fancy and she wanted to have sex with him in those years before she met Henry again I didn’t think that would be odd or a problem. (Of course I’d expect said man to be single and this to be consensual)

Im not married or partnered so what do I know, but had I been Claire I’d have been like “okay time to have fun for a while before my true love shows up! He’s coming y’all!” Also I admit I’m 36 and the idea of not having engaged in partnered sex because I haven’t been united with my true love would make ME depressed- if you’d told me at 18 he was coming, but I’d be 38, I would still want to have sex with other men in those 20yrs. 

I know Claire is in love with Henry, so that might not be emotionally possible, but I take it akin to women who had lovers while their husbands were at war/sea or something. They loved their husbands and hoped they come back, but they sought comfort with others, and got their emotional/sexual needs met in the interim. (But since Claire has taken no vows to Henry there isn’t any moral ambiguity here)

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Thanks for explaining further- I better understand where you’re coming from now. 

I was focusing on the certainty of “being the last” part- meaning you’ll get to grow old together and have a long happy emotionally intimate/sexually satisfying marriage.

You were focusing more on the “not the first” part, with the ideology that your spouse would be the first/only person you’d want to have partnered sex with.

Of course Claire does not have to have sex with anyone she doesn’t want to, and her rape was awful and traumatic. But IF she met a guy that struck her fancy and she wanted to have sex with him in those years before she met Henry again I didn’t think that would be odd or a problem. (Of course I’d expect said man to be single and this to be consensual)

Im not married or partnered so what do I know, but had I been Claire I’d have been like “okay time to have fun for a while before my true love shows up! He’s coming y’all!” Also I admit I’m 36 and the idea of not having engaged in partnered sex because I haven’t been united with my true love would make ME depressed- if you’d told me at 18 he was coming, but I’d be 38, I would still want to have sex with other men in those 20yrs. 

I know Claire is in love with Henry, so that might not be emotionally possible, but I take it akin to women who had lovers while their husbands were at war/sea or something. They loved their husbands and hoped they come back, but they sought comfort with others, and got their emotional/sexual needs met in the interim. (But since Claire has taken no vows to Henry there isn’t any moral ambiguity here)

The romantic idea of someone being the first and the last is powerful. Of course it is all by chance and choice. Claire could have just waited till meeting 22 yo Henry, it was after all only 2 years away*. Then again it is painful waiting and she figured 18 was like a  benchmark age where older Henry should no longer feel any guilt about having sex with her. She was ready to go at 16! 

There is also the very strange time travel thing which would be enough to send anyone around the bend. I think being with someone like that would have to come with an "open marriage" factor. Even if the extra (and I am thinking this is more for the non time traveler) is more an emotional affair than physical. 

I get the impression Claire uses sex as a coping mechanism which is why she sleeps with G&C, it's a form of distraction. Which is also fair enough. 

*I'm not on either extreme of the topic. I can see how in your example having to wait 20 years to meet your match is too long to wait around without experiencing anyone else. 

• Love 1
On 6/7/2022 at 1:26 AM, iMonrey said:

Oh I don't know, I thought this actually was a lighter episode than last week's. Yeah there was a somber ending but the bulk of the episode was spent on the dinner party and that was kind of fun. I loved Desmin Borges on You're The Worst so it was fun seeing him here. 

Let's face it, Clare and Henry's lives are so messed up, so it's nice when they ease up on the angst and have fun with the time travel stuff. Explaining the two Henrys to their friends was a hoot, and so was Clare's amusement at Young Henry and Old Henry talking to each other.

As the poster who wanted a lighter episode I would say this episode delivered. Sure the end was heavy but most of the episode was lighter in its approach that the previous weeks. We had Henry-41 trying to keep things professional while Clare-18 was basically throwing herself at him cause she now could. And that whole dinner party thing was a breath of fresh light air until the girlfriend noticed Henry-41 looking at her nostalgically.  I didn't even pick that up.

I wonder why Younger Henry is going to need Gomez that results in them being besties.

And I laughed out loud seeing surgical masks on the stocks to invest in. I notice I should be investing in Netflix and not HBO.

I still think Henry-42 looks like Dermot Mulroney and way to0 old. There is only one year between the told Henry in this episode and him but they've made Theo up to look like he is playing Henry-52.

I still have no idea who the heck they are talking to in those videos.

I am super excited that since I have a public holiday tomorrow, I can watch the episode at the same time as the US. If I remember

• Love 1
(edited)

I had gotten a bit tired of the grimness of the story so I didn’t bother watching this episode until today. Yeah, the lightness and comic situation of 2 Henrys were a welcomed change.  My fav thing about this show is when any 2 Henrys of whatever age play off each other.

Gomez was a jerk but he did gallantly rescue Gretchen (is that her name?) and he recognized Henry as the jerk stalking her, so he kind of had a point. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, Bill1978 said:

As the poster who wanted a lighter episode I would say this episode delivered. Sure the end was heavy but most of the episode was lighter in its approach that the previous weeks. We had Henry-41 trying to keep things professional while Clare-18 was basically throwing herself at him cause she now could. And that whole dinner party thing was a breath of fresh light air until the girlfriend noticed Henry-41 looking at her nostalgically.  I didn't even pick that up.

I wonder why Younger Henry is going to need Gomez that results in them being besties.

And I laughed out loud seeing surgical masks on the stocks to invest in. I notice I should be investing in Netflix and not HBO.

I still think Henry-42 looks like Dermot Mulroney and way to0 old. There is only one year between the told Henry in this episode and him but they've made Theo up to look like he is playing Henry-52.

I still have no idea who the heck they are talking to in those videos.

I am super excited that since I have a public holiday tomorrow, I can watch the episode at the same time as the US. If I remember

When I watched the first ep I thought it was going to be a spoof on the concept as the interviews they do come across as comedic to me. I am not sure who, if anyone they are talking to either. They might just be doing a private video blog for the ages. 

I would imagine the stressful nature of time travel would have a huge impact on Henry's body and appearance. Hitting the ground naked and then having to run or fight your way to safety would not be pleasant. 

I didn't pick up Henry 41 looking at Gretchen nostalgically either. She was trashy, reminded me of Courtney Love but better looking than Claire. 

2 hours ago, Haleth said:

I had gotten a bit tired of the grimness of the story so I didn’t bother watching this episode until today. Yeah, the lightness and comic situation of 2 Henrys was a welcomed change.  My fav thing about this show is when any 2 Henrys of whatever age play off each other.

Gomez was a jerk but he did gallantly rescue Gretchen (is that her name?) and he recognized Henry as the jerk stalking her, so he kind of had a point. 

I think they are missing some real comic relief, Henry appearing in or just before an art class as the model or on stage as a male stripper for example. Give the guy a break and allow him the odd time where his nakedness is acceptable! 

I was surprised young Henry backed off when challenged by Gomez. Henry could have whipped him easily, really bad casting choice in Gomez in my opinion. He doesn't look the type to stand up to someone or able to land Charisse. 

2 eps to go if I am correct and I am feeling like they might rush it to the finish line. 

• Love 1

One thing that puzzles me: I could swear the Henry who slept with 18 year old Clare ended up at the diner party. How would he know what to write to her about ‘mercy’ when he was yet to go there?

(I guess younger him lived it.. I’m also not fully sure what the mercy note actually accomplished. Also why write her a note when he was actually there as his older self to tell her??)

Loving the show but the episodes seem so.. episodic I’m half fearing the story won’t be completed within the first and only season?)

Edited by Mvnl