Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10: Dirty

When Donnie finds himself in a compromising situation, he calls Pierce for help. As the evidence begins to stack against Donnie, Pierce and Moretti struggle with their own fears and doubts, as they work to solve the case. During the chaos, Pierce must deal with his father after he assaults someone at the assisted living facility.

Why would they think that's a suspenseful way to end the summer finale? I mean, I don't know about others, but I really don't think Daniel is going to be a ghost haunting Lewicki and Kate for the rest of the series. So, as the hook to keep me tuned in come February? Eh.

I knew Donnie wouldn't be guilty (of basically anything) and that it was the neighbor. Really, this show is so predictable with the whodunit. Gee, will these two lovebirds make it down the aisle again?

I would have been much more nervous about the actual outcome if they had pretended that Lewicki might have been blown up. Not only is he peripheral enough to the action that the series could go on without him, making it plausible that they would actually get rid of him, but he's also my favorite character, so I would have a real emotional investment in whether or not he made it out alive!

What the what?!

Why would they think that's a suspenseful way to end the summer finale? I mean, I don't know about others, but I really don't think Daniel is going to be a ghost haunting Lewicki and Kate for the rest of the series. So, as the hook to keep me tuned in come February? Eh.

I knew Donnie wouldn't be guilty (of basically anything) and that it was the neighbor. Really, this show is so predictable with the whodunit. Gee, will these two lovebirds make it down the aisle again?

Yeah, what a dumb season ending. Of course they can't kill him off.

I didn't predict the neighbor being the killer, but I did know that the financial backer was involved somehow. So only sort of predictable for me.

That was tedious.  Oh look, Donnie has been arrested for murder.  But there's all this evidence he's being framed. So let's cautiously go with that.  Ooh, a shady character being interrogated whom we have no reason to trust said he was the dead woman's boyfriend!  So let's now go with that.  Even though there's all this other evidence he's being framed like a prison name swap and he was beaten up in prison within 5 minutes of being there (which I imagine might happen--but maybe not quite that quickly?).  Ugh, just...annoying.  And all just to set up obstacles for their relationship (which I don't care about one way or another). 

And yes, then the ending.  Didn't make it better.

• Love 1

I didn't see the episode so much about resolving the COTW as about resolving Kate's feelings for and trust issues about Donnie. Looking at the case as a vehicle for that, I thought it was way more effective than a lot of shows where they decide to put the couple together again after cheating and basically just do it by retcon.

I also thought the exploding house was way more shocking than any other exploding house I've seen since Breaking Bad finished. Yes, we know they won't kill him off, but likely he's injured, and we don't know to what end.

I love Daniel's teaching scenes. It would be awesome if we could get a hiatus webisode or two of his lectures. Please, pretty please?

• Love 3

Daniel's lectures are a whole lot better than any I've been to myself.  Why can't my profs be like that?

I didn't see the episode so much about resolving the COTW as about resolving Kate's feelings for and trust issues about Donnie. Looking at the case as a vehicle for that, I thought it was way more effective than a lot of shows where they decide to put the couple together again after cheating and basically just do it by retcon.

I thought they did a pretty decent of job them both these past two episodes.  I like that Kate couldn't stop the voices telling her that Donnie was cheating (nice parallel with Daniel) and how that affected her perception of him in this episode because when the ex said that she had left him 6 months ago for someone with better political prospects, Kate should have realized that wasn't Donnie.  And the way they were left, Donnie ended up disappointed and not as trusting in her.

I thought Daniel's dad was a hoot in the 'taking advantage of the dementia lady for sex'.  So wrong and yet, who is it really  hurting?  Cuddles and affection will do more for her than Risperidol.

• Love 3

Fully agree with you, BookThief.

This was my least favorite episode of the season. I found out that I'm actually not interested at all in Donnie, and I felt that the storyline was really pushed and tedious. There was no surprise at all for me in that ending, not that I expected it but I actually couldn't care because I didn't get emotionnaly involved in any of the characters' stories (the cop, the politicians, the neighbor, and not even the victim were any interesting). Daniel was pretty much in the background, which is a pity, I'm much more interested in him and his interaction with Kate/Lewicki/anyone else than in the Donnie/Kate love story. I don't want this storyline to become the show's main focus.
Even the ending seemed out of place. This show should not be about exploding buildings, for me it's more a journey inside the human mind and this episode really felt off.

Edited by Sarnia
  • Love 1

This episode was just awful. I hated that everyone that mattered basically took it for granted that Donnie was drugged and then just ignored it. The show was completely resistant to acknowledging that Donnie was nearly assaulted and framed for murder and how traumatized he might be by that. I don't even like Donnie. Honestly, I had so little empathy for Kate this entire episode.

• Love 1

I enjoyed this episode up to the last 2 minutes..  Did I doze off or were we not told what they were doing at that house and shed?  Whose was it?  The scene seemed just tacked on to make us come back in Feb. to get the rest of the season.  I'll keep watching - they don't have to trick me.  If nothing else I am really enjoying seeing all the older stars from earlier series that have a new acting gig.  Kim Darby a few episodes back, Joanna Cassidy (Maybe?) in this one and the wonderful Jude Ciccolella from so many other dramas (24 most memorably). 

I hope this snag in their relationship means it will be put on hold for awhile.  Usually I think there's a reason you get divorced and maybe going back is bad idea.  I've never known anyone who did it where it worked...

I too enjoyed the Alzheimer story.  In that situation you have to just laugh and not let it get to you as long as your person is not being assaulted, etc.  When the man next door at the nursing home crawled into my mother's bed, she whacked him with her cane.  I was quite proud of her, but they solved the problem by taking her cane away...

It was blink and you miss it, but they went to the house because Daniel's father's girlfriend said she saw a supposedly dead mobster at that house. His dad guilted Daniel about dismissing her because of her Alzheimer's. So Daniel and Kate went to check it out. But yeah, really poorly explained.

My prediction for next season after seeing this episode.  Kate and Donnie realize that they can't get back the relationship they had before Donnie cheated and Kate realizing how much she cares for Daniel after thinking she had lost him in the explosion.  When it turns out that I'm wrong in February, someone please copy and paste this to remind me how much I suck at predicting the outcome of season-ending cliffhangers. 

Edited by Collinwood
  • Love 2

And here I was all set to think that at least they are ending this season without any cliffhangers and then BOOM!

They can't kill Daniel off but maybe they can give him amnesia or some such thing.

They can't kill Daniel off but maybe they can give him amnesia or some such thing.

Hmmm.  And what if that amnesia (or some such thing) reduces/stops his hallucinations and has him functioning (whatever is considered) normally?  But of course he won't be "him" if that happens and we'll oddly be rooting for his illness to return. 

I've been saving a couple of season-enders because they're usually so good, and then the show's gone for months.

But I thought this was some of the most ham-fisted writing they've ever had.  Kate throwing her FBI badge around so she can barge in there and interrogate her boyfriend on exactly how naked everybody was?  (Three months suspension, unpaid.)

Daniel/Dad wasn't any better than Kate/Donnie.  Even the "reminder" segment showed Daniel interrupting and jumping to the conclusion Dad was suggesting suicide when he was actually being very reasonable about going to the facility.  Now Daniel cuts off the phone call.  Then he snorts and eyerolls about the gangster guy.  I get that father-son relationships are tough, but all the attitude toward his unwell father is unpleasant. 

The man holding court from his booth, Soprano's style, was practically twirling his mustache.  Having a front door key means "walk right in"?

It was all just a big mess.  They can do better.

Edited to add:  Joanna Cassidy looks terrific!

Edited by candall